/spg/ - Smartphone General: Note7 Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:

Note7 official renders surface, preorders start in Dubai
gsmarena.com/official_samsung_galaxy_note7_renders_surface_preorders_kick_off_in_dubai-news-19549.php

Galaxy Note7 to be the first to debut with Gorilla Glass 5
phonearena.com/news/Gorilla-Glass-5-to-debut-on-the-Galaxy-Note-7-the-Apple-iPhone-7-may-follow_id83434

Samsung Galaxy Note7 leaks in gold, 3500mAh battery rumored
phonearena.com/news/Latest-leak-shows-renders-of-gold-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-7-battery-tipped-to-be-3500mAh-cell_id83426

Samsung Galaxy Note7 iris scanner feature demoed on video
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note7_iris_scanner_feature_demoed_on_video-news-19535.php

Moto Z Droids and Moto Mods now up for pre-order exclusively on Verizon
gsmarena.com/moto_z_droids_and_moto_mods_now_up_for_preorder_exclusively_on_verizon-news-19534.php

Exclusive: Oppo F1s to feature 16MP selfie camera, fingerprint scanner
gsmarena.com/exclusive_oppo_f1s_to_feature_16mp_selfie_camera_fingerprint_scanner-news-19531.php

Flat and curved Samsung Galaxy Note7 units detailed in new leaks
gsmarena.com/flat_and_curved_samsung_galaxy_note7_units_detailed_in_new_leaks-news-19530.php

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00U31HSHO
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just got my Oppo R7s a week ago, installed the stock android rom from the Oppo site and it runs pretty well, only let down is the rear camera, feel welcome to ask me any questions about the phone Sup Forums.

Will i be able to read books well on a 5.5" phone

Should I get a note 7 to replace my s7?

Yeah, my phone is 5.5 inches and I can read books ok if I have the font large enough, its good for when I'm on the train or waiting out lunch at work but I still prefer my ipad for when I'm at home as the larger screen is comfier.

Is the Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 worth it for the projector? I know it's a fucking gimmick, but it's a cool gimmick nonetheless. Thoughts?

Which should I buy:
Galaxy S5
Xperia M4 Aqua
LG Stylus DAB+
LG G4
Nexus 6P (my current pick)
Huewai P9

Out of those, the 6P is the best.

>S5,
I had one, decent but touchwiz was a pain
>Xperia m4 Aqua
Decent as cheaper phone however specs aren't as strong as nexus 6p/lg g4
>Lg stylus
no idea
>G4
used one for a few hours, seemed ok but back buttons are a bit annoying
>Nexus 6p
Can't go wrong with this, stock android and decent specs make it one of the best in your list.
>Huawei P9
had a couple huawei and they were shitty, this model might not be but the ones I had have permanently put me off buying another huawei

Planning on buying a Note7 when it comes out. Since all my phones so far have been black I decided not to get one this time. Which color should I pick, Sup Forums?

Silver

6p is made by huawei user

I'm trying to decide between gold and silver. Everyone else will undoubtedly pick gold so I might go silver. The blue looks good but the more traditional colors are easier to match with cases.

I just found someone selling a second hand xiaomi redmi note 3 pro 3GB/32GB version that has a cracked screen but is otherwise fine. I have seen you can get replacement screens for like $30 on aliexpress, is it pretty easy to replace? im pretty good with taking apart laptops and shit so i figure i would be alright with a phone as well.

I am/was right about to buy one of these phones for myself and i figured if i could fix this one i would either keep it if its in really good condition or fix it then sell it for a profit to pay for a brand new one. Has anyone else tried this and can they advise as to whether this is a good idea.

Cheers

Under the watchful eye of google. That's why the Galaxy Nexus was so awesome despite the GS3 being a total pile of shit.

Reposting

Would it be a bad idea to get an Amazon sponsored R1 HD or Moto G4 as a travel phone? Nobody seems to be able to answer on Amazon Questions how much data the ads eat up

Does ASUS have any decent phones?

Country: Lithuania. I need a phone with fast cpu, decent camera. 720p screen would do. dont care about battery life as much, since id probably carry around powerbank most of the time anyway. any suggestions?

gold looks pretty nice irl

None at the moment.

You boys think the Note 7 will be hot shit? The specs look pretty nice, first phone I've seen with USB Type C and water resistance, which is pretty cool.

The small capacity battery worries me. What's the point of buying a phablet if the battery is just the same as on a regular flagship phone?

Also, what is this shit that it'll ship with Android Nougat? Isn't the Nexus always the first phone t o ship with a new version of Android?

It's the only phone line out there with Wacom tech, great for drawfags. I regret getting my 6s Plus, 3D Touch is just barely manageable for sketching.

Why not just get a flagship and spend the price difference on a Wacom tablet? You can get a pretty good Intuos for 100 buckaroos desu

Gold is amazing.

>nougat
I assume it'll launch with marshmallow and get nougat sometime in January or so.

You can't put an Intuos and Laptop in your pocket.
Also while the Note looks small for drawing, thanks to being digital, you got an infinitely large page size for drawings. Definitely beats the shit out of carrying a notepad and pencil everywhere in my pocket.

This thing is more for those spontaneous ideas you get so you can quickly get it down, then later finish them off on a real tablet at home/work. That's why my 6s although being capacitive garbage is still a bit manageable.

Very niche though, if you don't draw very often then any other flagship would do.

why not get the nexus 6P
>nougat beta already
>3450 battery and stock google android isnt a hog
>USB Type C for sanic charging if you can bear having to buy new adapters
only thing it isn't is waterproof/resistant.

>using samsung batteries
>not changing them with quality ones
Hah.
>B-BUT.. MUH WATER RESISTENCY...
Shut up. You are on Sup Forums. We don't go outside.

but the battery is bigger than most flagships
his a drawfag

I'm not really into the whole phablet thing, more comfortable in the 5" to 5.5" range. Just interested in it, is all.

What's your point?

Who /waitingforthegoddamnnewnexusline/ here ?

6P would be good for everything but
G4 has better cameras

Main problem with 6P is the lack of stabilization

the dual camera huewai p9 looked interesting,

The cameras on the P9 are nice, but after having a go with them I still preferred my G4.

I think yes as the Note series usually last longer in terms in internals and performance

I'm in a "escape the botnet" phase.

My goal is to use an opensource ROM on a smartphone.

Which model is recommended if I want to do so whilst having enough documentation / support from a community to do basic trouble shooting?

Is it recommended to get such a smartphone from the second hand market? Can I get in trouble because of the previous owner's fault?

tfw girlfriends G4 would overheat and turn off as well as randomly lockscreen or not respond, had to pay out the contract and get a new phone, eventually it stopped turning on

I never understood the hype about smartphone cameras, is it always having a high res camera in your pocket? Why not buy a real camera for a similar price?

Who here Galaxy Note 4?

Is buying a tablet running windows 8 a bad idea?
I'm considering Lenovo Yoga 2.

why doesn't f-droid have screenshots?

I had the HP Stream 7 which was pretty damn decent for a $99 Windows Tablet.
I reckon stick with Surface for the best usability. iPad for web browsing. Avoid Android unless you like to torture yourself.

Not really. Windows 8 is actually pretty decent on tablets and such. It just sucks for desktops.

So Sup Forums, I'm getting tired of my Galaxy S3. It's balls slow with the latest version of CM, it's on the second battery which is now starting to degrade, and it's overheating all the time.

I've been missing my physical keyboard ever aince giving up my Blackberry Bold in 2013. I kind of want to go back to BB but I don't want to lose the Android application selection. So how is the Priv? I can get one through my company for $200 and I get my physical keys back. Battery life also seems better than other flagships, and the Android version loaded on this phone is pretty close to stock. Also as a Canuck who lives half an hour from Waterloo, I feel obligated to root for the home team. Is there anything bad I should be aware of?

It's mostly convenience, I think. Lugging around a DSLR everywhere is very cumbersome, so if you want to capture life's spontaneous little moments and you want to do it well, a phone camera is pretty handy.

>unreliable build quality
>battery wasting sd810
Those are the reasons I don't own one. Thankfully, phones like op3 released this year look promising.

So I'm using Lumia 635 with WP 8.1 and I've noticed a massive difference in battery drainage when WLAN&GPS are on/off. Is there a way to verify their battery usage? I can only find battery usage by specific software but they're all >1%.

It's weird because I don't use my phone too much and basically have no apps running most of the time, and without gps/wlan battery has 90%+ left after 16 hours or so but with those mechanics on it's already at 75% after 12 hours even if no app were using them.

tl;dr does wlan and/or gps actually drain so much battery life even if the phone is idling without any apps on, and is there a way to verify this?

Battery life is mediocre and it gets warm. Also, there is no root/custom roms for it as it is locked tight. But at $200, it's totally worth it.

So Sup Forums I've been using a Moto G1 since release in 2013 and I finally got the money to change and been thinking of getting a G4 plus(32GB and 2GB of ram) so what should I expect and any other recommendations for phones in the same price range ? (Pic kinda related)

LG G3

The Lenovo G4 is a piece of shit

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00U31HSHO

I bought a 950xl back in December should I hope for Nokia's new phones to be good just like the old 1020 and what not even if they are android?
I like Windows 10 format and I have tried to use a SG3 with windows launcher.

I'm not sure where I stand on this I guess. I'm looking for reccs for new phones as long as they can match the camera and the battery of the 950 xl I currently own. I don't hate my phone right now but I'm not sure about the future especially with nokia starting up again

But here´s the thing the LG image is shit and here in Brazil there´s a big difference in price(almost 400 R$) but thanks for the reply and why the Moto g4 plus is shit ?

Need advice, currently running in Darkobas Rom. Are there any alternative Roms with better Battery life and Performance?

Samsung S7 or S7 Edge?

Apart from the bigger battery of the Edge?
I imagine those edges are rather annoying.

Also note: I am not getting one with Snapdragon, but with Exynos, way better for battery life and there is a way to root it.

I currently have a Moto G 2014 (2 Gen).
My mom has an LG Optimus G (E977) but she wants a dual sim phone like mine. I know the G is better spec-wise (Better screen, 2GB of RAM, better camera) but how is ROM support for it?
Should i trade mine with her?

Apparently the edges make it more comfortable to grip and it has some sort of grip sensors so you won't get erroneous taps.

Other than that, it's just the battery. Try going to a store and picking them both up and deciding which feels better.
The regular S7 is also cheaper.

I got the regular s7 cause it's easier to hold, and comes in silver. (exynos variant) The edge seems gimmicky. It's not really worth the extra money I don't think.

Which one has the better build quality?

Camera really the same?

I have read that sometimes you get a Sony sensor instead of the Samsung one.

Supposedly blackberry are announcing new phones soon. Wait a bit and see.

Identical build quality.

The cameras are both good.

"new"
One of them's a rebadged Alcatel.

LG G5 or V10?

I just bought a xiaomi redmi note 3 pro 3GB/32GB and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a cheap but decent VR headset to use with it (just the plastic version of google cardboard type ones) or is there not much difference between them as long as its comfy and fits your phone?

Also i have never had an android phone before (only smartphone i have had/still have is a windows phone) so what should i expect and what should i do first when the phone arrives?

Is is possible to unlock the Sony Xperia Z3V (Verizon) for use with GSM carriers? The unlocking policy at Verizon.com seems to suggest that their phones can be used with other networks.
>We do not lock our 4G LTE devices, and no code is needed to program them for use with another carrier.
Z3V is a 4G LTE device, so it should work with other carriers, right?

Motorola was bought out by Lenovo, so expect next to no future updates for your phone.

Have you looked into the Redmi Note 3 Pro? It gets talked a lot around here and seems to be the go-to budget conscious phone.

Dunno how prices fare in jajajaja land tho.

I want to try AOSP. Is there a model of device that gets more support than others? (I have in mind like thinkpads for linux)

Should I get the Moto G4 or the Huawei Honor 5x?

Are there any other cheap budget phones looking at other than the Xiamoi Redmi Note 3 pro?

Shit, I'm using a Blackberry Q10 and I don't really like it. Part of me wants to upgrade to the Priv to keep a physical keyboard while finally having access to Android functionality, but another part of me wants to look at something like the HTC 10 or the Samsung S7 (regular S7, not the Edge) and experience something outside of the Blackberry "world."

Any guidance?

I want to make my purchase in the next few weeks, months
things I really want
the fastest phone at the moment, I do lots of multi tasking, I don't have a pc do my phone does everything at the moment, and my v10 really struggles to keep up
things would be nice, but not deal breakers
removable battery
SD card

I used to be a hardware keyboard only guy, but after a few weeks with software based 'SwiftKey' I type even faster. it's worth really looking into. it doesn't come pre-installed but it's a popular keyboard replacement for Android. i can't help on the phone side thing of things, it's all preference, I usually stick with nexus devices as they are just stock Android without the extra bloat

Should I buy an LG K10?
Will it get Cyanogenmod support?
Who is "moot"?

Is the v10 worth it or should I get something else?. Mostly looking for something with good battery life.

Will the Redmi Note 3 Pro work in the UK for 3G and 4G?

What are the first things I should do with this?

Install nova launcher

The $200 price is also locked to Bell (aka one of the evil wireless carriers in Canada). Unlocked it's about $475 off eBay. Is it worth the extra $275 (less taxes) to get it unlocked or should I just not care?

Bell will unlock it for 50 bucks, same as other carriers. After 90 days. Bell has the best coverage in the country and the fastest LTE speeds. Their prices are identical to the other big 2. Rogers is the worst carrier, avoid them. Bell and Telus are both fine.

Whats a good phone for like under $150?

S7, OP3 or 6P?

ask a guy who just got his note 5 blacklisted imei changed anything

How much did you pay

G5

G4 is far better. I'm not going to answer the ad question because you should simply run the rootjunkies tool after you get it to completely remove the ads from the phone.

S7

how big is your cock?

The other person responding to you is a fucking mouthbreathing retard. Lenovo has published updates just fine for their new devices. Get the G4, it's a terrific phone. I have been purchasing them for my family and they've been very well received.

>Package Disabler Pro
Use it to disable all boat with one button, go in depth later if you feel. Good to also remove any applications you don't want.

>Disable add icon to home screen in Google Play

>Nova Launcher Prime
>Tesla Unread (tfw paying for a feature that's stock on iOS to see unread badge count)
>Icon pack ideally
I use Clix, start from there.

>Disable NFC and Wi-Fi calling
>Return phone and buy a Nexus

Done. Enjoy, friend. Hoping you like the S7 meme.

All Note phones are GOATs. Fact.

Oh well pssh that settles it then.

I'm with Koodo right now, which is basically Telus. Never had a problem with the network unless I'm in a far-flung rural area. I did have issues with Bell in London a few years ago, though, so hopefully they've cleared those up.

How? Serious question. Everyone I know loves theirs, but I don't know why.

They are built like a tank and lasts for eons. That Note 2 is still alive and healthy today.

Thank you user I found really strange the other response and get the G4 Plus or normal ?

They're too damn big for my taste

I haven't used the Plus yet, but its specs make me prefer it (more ram). The extra storage is negligible given that it has an SD slot, but I'd get the Plus if you have the money for it.

$39

it was done remotely, i had to download teamviewer (don't worry i kept my eyes peeled and ready to disconnect the ethernet cable if i noticed somethng fishy)

the only negative thing that comes with it is that Knox gets tripped because he rooted the phone, also unlocked it

like 5 inches hard

Thanks user :D

>large screen
>good pixel dencity
>internals powerful enough to drive it
>decent battery life but if that isn't enough you can double it with after market ones.

why

me and it can't get here soon enough

The latest ones have slimmed down a lot.

Opinions on Honor 7 Lite?

It seems great for its price.