Last VCR maker to cease production this month

pcworld.com/article/3098334/hardware/rip-vhs-players-the-last-vcrs-ever-will-be-made-this-month.html

F

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jiu0LPeLQPE
youtube.com/watch?v=-z4iw8Ppo1o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does that mean my still working Sony VCR will go up on hipster tax?

>buy thousands of vhs for literally nothing
>resell them in 2030

They probably won't work in 2030.

depends on the build
simpler vcrs will easily work in 2030
the digital components will probably fail before the actual tape mechanism

magnetic tape lasts a long time with good storage.
I really don't see why a VCR would fail to operate after that long, provided it wasn't running that entire time.

Interestingly, the very first HD movies came on VHS.

I've got an old quasar that still works. Already somewhat collectible.

D-VHS
Never caught on. Likely because the hdtvs of the time cost as much as a car.

>I really don't see why a VCR would fail to operate after that long, provided it wasn't running that entire time.
it's mostly things like circuit boards kill because of moisture, etc
stuff like that is miniaturised and more complex, but it also means that damage is more damaging

youtube.com/watch?v=jiu0LPeLQPE

I still use one.
My old one shat itself 2 years ago so I have a new one.
I use it to watch old movies on my CRT TV for nostalgia, but only like once every two months.

A E S T H E T I C

What will I do now when my VCR breaks?
Pay out the ass because retards think they're worth a lot since they're not being made anymore?

This was really interesting, thanks.

fuck your shitty memes

youtube.com/watch?v=-z4iw8Ppo1o

Steal one from a museum, you old coot.

LOOL

if u become a hipster fagggot u can justify the price.

This month? I didn't even know they still made them. That's the most surprising thing. I doubt you'll make money off of them though. It's not like a nostalgic Nintendo 64. I doubt anyone is clammering to watch a movie on a highly inferior platform, even hipsters. DVD/CD is essentially obsolete. Blu-ray used to be hyped, but now it's all about digital. Only used my optical drive a handful of times in the past years. All were for installing Winblows, due to rotate.

Flash drives took that over now, too. Digital is the best with flash drives being the last true form of 'physical' media.

Optical drives are only still alive due to consoles and consoles made DVD players obsolete, as they play Blu-ray too.

Future console probably won't have optical drives, either. All new 'players' are all digital. Chromecast, Apple TV, Roku, etc.

End is near folks. Stock up on hipster shit for optimal shekels before it's too late. Mark my words.

I lived through this period and was collecting DVDs at the time, yet had never even heard of this. Probably because it never came to Yurop I suppose.

I actually prefer physical media over digital media. Unless the digital form is significantly cheaper, I'll always go with physical.

For what it's worth, Japanese friends would look for VHS tapes in the US long after DVD had become standard because they could play VHS tapes from other countries.

These days, I just pirate everything, so I don't even know the state of region code annoyances.

Pick one up at your local thrift shop. They're filled with them

Bought this in 2009 to record TV after the digital transition. The VCR side was used maybe three or four times for watching old movies on tape.

I left my old VCR at the thrift store a few years ago.

Kek
>Bang