/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/DujvzEzU

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

Other urls found in this thread:

tp.krelay.de/
tp.krelay.de/index.php?type=4178-afu
support.lenovo.com/gb/en/partslookup
tp.krelay.de/index.php?type=7762B48
psref.lenovo.com/WithdrawnBook
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-2720QM-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2520M/m532vsm29
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>specs lookup STILL not in the OP
tp.krelay.de/

first for autism

Which of the W series have IPS or AFFS screens?

Wouldn't be available until W540 and onward. W530 and W520 have really kickass TN panels, though.

Are there any I could do unofficial swaps on? I really, really hate TN panels.

So I got my Advanced dock working wonderfully. Only problem is that sometimes the GPU won't display and sometimes it isn't picked up by the PC (fan won't even spin). Another problem is the PC doesn't boot whilst plugged into the dock.

Anyone got any ideas/questions?

How good are those panels?
Do they make the TN panels who apple used look bad?

>tfw the mailman is a bit late
All i want is my x61t.

What's the point when the wiki exists?

I don't think so. W series doesn't really have the modder base that the cheaper T series models do, and since the stock panels are so good, there's not much demand among the few who do own W series Thinkpads.

Technically speaking, you could get a 15" T60p. The -p suffix was the predecessor to the W series, and the T60p had 1400x1050 and 1600x1200 IPS panels. I imagine you want the W series primarily for the computing power though, so a ten-year-old Core Duo wouldn't quite fit the bill.

Why laptop batteries degenerate so fast compared to phone ones? And why they are so expensive?

>not realising the 1920x1080 TN panel had 95% sRGB coverage

that allows you to find the exact specs of how it left the factory.

example of it in action
tp.krelay.de/index.php?type=4178-afu

Indeed. I guess I'll wait a year or two for the E540 to come down in price a bit.

TN panels tend to give me headaches after long periods of use. No idea why.

I don't know, so for that I ask.
The best TN panels I saw in my life always had been Apple. I discovered the thinkpad meme recently.

Fat fingered, meant W540.

Are you sure that are the TN panels and not the refresh ratio of the monitors?

Yes. It's not PWM either.

T430:
i7-3630qm (3.4GHz, 6M, 4C/8T)
nvidia NVS 5400M (superclocked to 865MHz at core and 1066MHz at vram)
16GB RAM
180GB SSD
2TB HDD
Classic keyboard

Mobile server (x220):
i5-2540m
8GB RAM
120GB mSATA SSD
2x2TB HDD (one via ultrabase)
16GB USB recovery module (inside ultrabase)
9cell battery
temporary t430 keyboard (classic one should arrive on monday)

Here's the x220.
It's also equipped with Intel 7260ac card for AP functionality

>that allows you to find the exact specs of how it left the factory.

This tells you the exact parts that were fitted to the machine
support.lenovo.com/gb/en/partslookup

Curious.
Could be that TN panels actually impede pass of light, so the refresh rate is lower in practice?

Since my first thinkpad in 2013, x201, I've wanted to own a 4:3 thinkpad but didn't buy one because I thought it would be too slow. I own a x61t sxga+ now and omg that screen, muh dick best thinkpad.

Could be. All I know is that IPS, AFFS, CRT and Plasma don't give me headaches.

jesus christ that site is shit. It lists every part that my machine MIGHT have.

Mine is only 1024x768, but its still an interesting machine. (this tp.krelay.de/index.php?type=7762B48 with a 250gb hard drive and 4gb of ram, a new battery and a broken lid lock.)

Why lenovo batteries are so expensive? And how they can't just make similar batteries than in phones. They could easily fit 30 000 mah in that same space.

Just got my first ThinkPad yesterday, a T520 running 8.1. Just wondering though, how do I disable specific keys on this thing?

How are the TN panels of T520? Are garbage like the T420 ones?

Hmmm....really makes you think....

I dont get that toggle at all.

I've just ran a random T420 s/n through the tool and it gives me the toggle

Any of you guys having trouble with the Intel Centrino N 1000? My x220 keeps recognizing and not recognizing my wifi device. I've been switching out drivers, updating the BIOS, making sure the card is installed correctly but I can't get it to be stable. Do I need to buy a different card?

Just buy an Intel 7260 and flash the modded BIOS that removes the whitelist

No, they're good like the W520 ones.

>tp.krelay.de
>put the number in and hit enter to see everything in simple plain text

>lelnovo support
>tell their survey bullshit to fuck off
>put the number in
>wait a million years for the bloated site to load
>doesn't immediately show you the parts for the type number you entered, have to click something else to see that
I'm not really seeing why you would use this over krelay.

see

>actually tells you the parts inside the machine
>find out if you got a god tier NMB keyboard, Panasonic battery etc

There's also the psref pdfs if you don't want to hit up a website all the time

psref.lenovo.com/WithdrawnBook

Anyone familiar with third party batteries for the x201t? what should i get from where.
i want to fly from LAX to dubai on a single charge.

Thanks.
>seriously considering suffeer a bit to get a nice T520

>tfw it doesnt have the IBM badges like it did in the ad

Totally different memepad, needs a new back case and keyboard (its super glossy) but it has a better processor L7700 instead of L7500 and the advertised amount of ram so i dont really mind.

Tried it, they wouldn't let me for security reasons.
Should i just get multiple batteries

Also it had comodo antivirus for linux. Didnt know that existed.

Just got my x220 in the mail. If you guys decide to dual-boot, do you typically do a factory reinstall of Windows? I've been paranoid about key-loggers ever since I wrote one up while working as a desk receptionist and accessed all of my co-workers accounts.

Also, I can't seem to get my SD card to be recognized as a valid boot option. Has anyone else been able to get this to work?

Anyone know the cheapest place I can price match the old charger?

How much of an increase would an i7 2720qm for a t420 be over an i5 2520m because of the two extra cores?

I'm thinking of upgrading the CPU only because i think it's not enough (might be wrong though), the most notable example being the music player stuttering while running android studio + the android VM, sometimes even mpc-hc alone has little stutters. I'm running an 850 pro if it helps.

I know that the 2720qm might be housefire territory but i'll take the risk since i can get one for cheap, or maybe disable turbo boost if it helps in lowering the temps.

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-2720QM-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2520M/m532vsm29

What kind of hard drive does the t420S take?
are they slim 7mm drives only, or can I put a 9mm drive in it?

7mm only. Theoretically I think you could put a 9.5mm drive in the slot, but you wouldn't be getting it out again. Just get an SSD and you don't have to worry about the size.

what kind of shitty airline are you flying on that doesn't have power sockets on every seat

>Theoretically I think you could put a 9.5mm drive in the slot

>2.5mm difference

I mean you can take the drive out, but it's really hard and with my x220 I had to take the palm rest off to get it out.
Cool, I have a 500gb slim drive lying around that I'd use in it if I get money in time to buy the machine.
$60 for one with no ram, hdd, or psu, but otherwise in good condition
most don't have them since they unusually use the same planes from the 70s-90s

The slot has a little extra headroom for the rails that you'd attach to the caddy. If you omit the caddy and rails, you could jam a 9.5mm drive in, but you'd better be sure that's what you want, because retrieving it won't be easy.

Not much room wasted in these. I need to get some canned air because I can't find my mini compressor.

What updates could I do on an A21m. Could I do an SSD?

With a PATA to mSATA adapter, yeah. It won't be very fast at all, obviously nowhere near even SATA I speeds, but it's still a whole lot better than an HDD.

Put it out of it's misery and scrap this shit.

What OS and RAM user?

>muh chinkpad

Why would i scrap a perfectly good x61t?

xubuntu 16.10 and 4gb. Got it for $66 so its not too bad for a secondary machine to mess around with.

Because it's a waste of electricity, air and space.
>65nm CPU
>DDR2 RAM
>120nm chipset-based wifi card
>120nm modem
>shit screen
>battery life od 2 hours
seriously, just purge it and get x230t

>X61T
>shit screen
>promotes X230T
nice 1366x768 my man

>1024x768
>better than 1366x768

You mean 1400x1050.

Will RMSMajestic ever get the 1080p IPS mod working for the T42/30 non-S?

>not sourcing the 1440X1080 panel
>not putting a X62 motherboard on it
>not getting almost 1500 USD selling that beast

Yep, I mean 1366x768 IPS low power panel. It's way better than your shitty 10 years old pre-IPS panel that gives you an eye cancer. Not mentioning the power consumption and heat being generated by the inverter.
Really dude just sell it away.
Also you can get the 1920x1080 mod in x230/x230t/x220/x220t

>Also you can get the 1920x1080 mod in x230/x230t/x220/x220t
The 1920x1080 mod that you can't do yourself and have to ship off to some chink to have them lay their dirty chink hands on your hardware? No thanks.

When can we expect Haswell gen machines to start ending lease and flooding onto ebay?

Lease is usually 3-4 years

>IPS 1080P mod
>losing the displayport of the docking conector
>requires surface mounting skills

So end of this year maybe? I look forward to getting a nice T440 and slamming a 1080p IPS into that bitch.

Guess it wasn't meant for poorfags

lel. i get 4 hours. new battery. just because you don like something doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to.

if i had the money to i would.

>that cancer inducing resolution

>being a cunt because someone bought an old computer

>implying 1366x768 isn't the real carcinogen

It's not. Actually 90% of internet websites are designed for 1366x768 since it's the most popular resolution (thanks to cheap ass consumer laptops)
Also check steam hardware statistics and get rekt, autistic faggot

>it's good because it's popular

It's usable because it's popular. And it's much more usable than 1024x768 30 years old cancer resolution.
Kill yourself

It's usable only if you're a fucking drone consuming media.
I produce things. I need more vertical space than anyone. Programmers, musicians, office workers, photographers are affected by that cancer 16:9 resolution.
Don't dare to go back to a thinkpad thread.

>cancer is widespread so it's not cancer
Even browsing Sup Forums is hell on 1366x768. You can barely fit three posts into the screen before you have to scroll. I understand you've never used anything better before, so it seems totally fine to you. I was that way once before, too. Now I'm comfy at 1600x1200 and I can never go back to my X220 without feeling like some fat fuck sat on my screen.

Hey guys,
My T520 recently stopped booting from the battery. It's fully capable of booting from AC, however. As soon as I remove the AC, however, it instantly shuts off.

When the battery is in and the computer is on, it seems as if the computer is detecting the battery (the brand, current charge percentage, etc.) just fine. It's shown as "charging", although the actual charge percentage doesn't change at all and the "time to full/empty" are both at 0 seconds.

So, two things:
First off, does it sound as if it's the battery that's dead, or is there perhaps some deeper issue here? Could something on the motherboard be fucked?

Secondly, if this is a battery issue, is there any chance that the battery is recoverable?

The 8-bit guy did a video of rebuiling a battery pack, but not sure if that it's your problem.
I experimented that problem in a shitty ideapad I had a bit ago. It fixed itself.

Thanks, I had totally forgotten about that video. I might end up doing that if I can isolate the issue to the battery in specific. I just hope there's not something fucked with the power supply circuit or something, although I'm not really sure how I'd go about diagnosing that.

>not putting a X62 motherboard on it
Guess how much the X62 motherboard would cost to get in the States?

Hint: it's more than 1500 USD

Why?

Because it's made by chinks, in China.

Only for that?
The motherboard actually is expected to cost around 320 USD.

No, that's how much it would cost to buy it in China

But there's no pipeline for exporting it whatsoever, meaning you're going to have to convince some chink to ship it for you, and he's not going to do it unless you pay a lot of money

Just picked one up on ebay for $240!

I'm not living in the US and we have a nice tax exception for computer parts :^)

Do you live in China?

No.

>2016
>suggested model from 5 years ago
Top kek lenovo is doing a great job with the new models it seems. They took something and changed the exact thing that it differentiated itself from other laptops (the keyboard and just practicality in general). How long till x220 aren't viable anymore?

Then you're still fucked

Why?
I have relatives and friends on china too.

I bet at least five or ten years.
Most aplications are moving to improving efficiency for the sake of battery life and power savings. Multithreading API's are refining everyday too.

Is amazon ok to order chargers from?