/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/trestle/trestle-watch-co-modern-watches-with-a-vintage-edg
kickstarter.com/projects/627698696/quarter-century-watch-disrupting-luxury-watches
youtu.be/9FzXOeSTahU
shop2.tisellkr.cafe24.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bored so I'll post it again. Pic related is latest find. Anyone else own or stumble across any cool vintage watches?

Should be getting this shipped back to me next week.

Picked this up recently. I love to snipe good quality pieces when they're discontinued/clearanced. Have a Mido, Zodiac and the Sohnle now.

Tuning fork watches are pretty cool. I kinda regret selling my f300 Constellation. It's hard to find one in good condition let alone a Megasonic.

C A S I O
A
S
I
O

What a beaut.

>It's hard to find one in good condition let alone a Megasonic.
Tell me about it. Megasonics in this case style almost never come up for sale. One of the recent ones I've seen had the index rotor broken off from the tuning fork. Tragic really. There's another one similar to mine (albeit less clean) up on ebay right now for about 1200 syrupdollars more than I paid.

Nice tuning fork.

Now I wonder where my psone has ended.

Oh.

I've turned it into a 420059.

And the black Amphibia into a 710634, until i get a 110 case to fuck about with.

Chronographs with central seconds and minutes counters are so cool.

Any recommendations for a watch that you would wear to a white collar job interview?

From what I got after googling white collar job, at work you can wear whatever, at the interview I'd say something standart, nothing too extraordinary, even a simple looking diver would fit I guess. Leather or metal strap/bracelet only

More or less as said.

It all depends on the budget and your wrist size really. Seiko's offerings are bretty good on this matter. (SARB,SARX, SDGM series)

Anything that fits under a cuff really.

But if you really want to: a watch with white or cream dial, simple, like 3 hands with or without date. Leather strap that matches shoes and belt.

Pic related, sarb sports watch. It's not full on formal wear dress watch, but interviews aren't full on formal.

C'mon lads.

Post some chronographs.

What you really want is a 100 dollar Seiko that 14 year olds get for their birthday if you want to be taken seriously.

Another one.

Dat Kakume and Panda.

Though that central seconds hand on the Panda is incorrect (should be white/black), and it's hard to say from the photographs about the condition of the case.

Now i ought to get myself one of these JDM chronographs, 701X series though.

?

I kinda want one of these.

Can anyone help me identify this watch? I bought it in Holland at a flea market for 15€ some eight years ago.

Damn rotation.
So this is the watch on the side, it has the name of what I found on the net, the name of some dutch transport/truck company Bavo N.V. Schiedam Holland on the other side

And the back

True, it's incorrect. I have a few sets of original hands, but I decided to go full red. Looks fantastic in person. Even better than the original, so I decided to keep it this way. As for the state of the cases, there are a few small dings on them, but were talking about old wristwatches here :)

Shitterson

Oh so your family makes these? Wow its an honor!

Plz no bully

>there are a few small dings on them, but were talking about old wristwatches here

Was more referring to philipno specials with re-polished cases.

As far as i recall each seconds hand is specific to each watch, A.E the hand is specific to the chrono clutch.

I would have expected Freddy Kruger to have something with a red and green nato strap, tbqh famalam.

That has to be a fake hand.

Why do you like the 420 case better than the 710 case?

Tag.... is that the best they sell in chernobyl?

Invicta Russian Diver with a skeleton dial.

I'm a NEET that watches the watches threads, and I would like to buy a temp starter until my skillz needed for another job that pays big and can get something really nice (thinking of getting a Nomos later and researching vintage stuff more - I like vintage fountain pens and razors and will probably prefer a vintage watch collection later).

So, I was thinking something simple with just decent materials for the price. Are either of these ok? Thoughts?

kickstarter.com/projects/trestle/trestle-watch-co-modern-watches-with-a-vintage-edg

kickstarter.com/projects/627698696/quarter-century-watch-disrupting-luxury-watches

Dats a good one

Donnou.

I'm more or less experimenting with combinations, plus i originally opened it up to regulate the movement. (+6 secs per day now)

I liked how it turned out so i kept it though i'm going to order a 110 case very soon and we'll see what happens till then.

You could just get something like a SGG713P1, which both comes with a bracelet and isn't some kikestarter based company. Plenty of vintage options to start with.

Or you know, get a Seiko 5 as per most other newfags that come here.

Kickstarter watches are all shit made by the same 3 Chinese companies from the Guangzhou/Hong kong area and overpriced to sell. Theyre a dimr a dozen and th attrition of the brands in 10 years will be 90℅ because at the end of the day none of them got the Daniel Wellington business model down: create hype over nothing, sell worthless products at 1300℅ markup, reinvest profits into social media marketing to normie, rinse repeat. Can't really be done with mechanicals because they're not as cheap or popular, not recognizable to normies, and there's far too much competition.

The only company to do this successfully has been Autodromo whose marketing is so good they can sell obviously Chinese made Motors powered or even quartz watches for for $600-1000 all based on marketing and muh classic designs/vaguely Italian sounding name. And nothing else. They have beat all the competition based on time and probably the purchase of hype via friendships with authors of popular watch blogs alone.

Goddamn I hate Kickstarter and the watch blogosphere. I hate to admit it because the Seiko shitposting here is too damn high but /wt/ is legitimately a superior resource to msot. Ironically the only other good one is Replica Watch Info (yes, not just for fakes) because its users generally hate the hipster pastel shaded blogs as much as the rest of us and want deals without marketing hype.

any of you know a safe and reliable website to buy watches within the EU?

Within the EU? Ill sound like a tool buy eBay.de is one of your better bets

If you want someone who ships to the EU and is owned by a total bro then watch-mann.com if you email him hr gives no fucks about shekeling customs

And stupid cunts like you buy them. No, the honor is mine, dear buyer.

Both of them Seikos have been in the family since they've been purchased. Would never buy them online. Too many fucked up ones floating around.

>This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering
Seemingly also about fine literature and the art of taking a dump under arctic conditions.

Aaaanyways, this one was intriguing, especially since the guy is a mechanical engineer and not a trained watchmaker. A sign of things to come?

Anyway this brings me to this: youtu.be/9FzXOeSTahU

So we have Tourbillon , Carrousel, gyrotourbillon - but do we have gyrocarrousel?

>I'm going for a Pharm.D, not a PhD. I'm thankfully smart enough not to cuck myself by going into research. Imagine being around chemists all day..I'd actually rather kill myself.
Good move. I work with people with PhD in biotech but I don't know what pharma and chemists are like. 8-)

>Question though, with what kind of rifles did you do it with? Or does national service mean you don't get to shoot shit?
We used old and heavy 7.62 automatic rifles. And we did fire more than blanks.

>Why would you put yourself in a situation where you have to avoid to shit for 9 days?
>Even if it's -40 just shit, you can't avoid it. If you're fast it will take what, 3 minutes?
Uh, no.

-10 C: no problems, just put on more clothes. Your cell phone might die of it was Nokia.
-20 C: still no probs: just put on more clothes and be careful. Nature has no mercy.
-30 C: this is painful, you don't want to be outdoors. Use lots of winter clothing, beware of sweating, adjust continuously. We are approaching dangerous territory. Many cell phones will die. Military radio gear is still fine
-40 C: dangerous but bearable as long as you are careful. Foreign soldiers on winter training underestimate the dangers, a few were sent home, frozen solid, no fridge needed for preservation. Only the careless and ignorants will even think of exposing themselves. No dump. Whatsoever.
-50 C: very dangerous, avoid going out. Foreign pseudoheroes will quickly be in dire need of rescue, seriously.

Tfw sold mine too for what i felt was a really low price

>Trips confirm your glorious Shitterson heritage

Exactly.

If you want to be taken seriously atleast cut your nails m9.

Also current collection.

Watches i brought with me on vacation, two are my dads.

I have a problem lel

This is my first time posting in this general, please be gentle senpais.
Is this a good beginner watch? Where can i buy it other than meranom?

It's OK, the bracelet is absolute garbage though so you'll want to replace that right away. You can also get it from ChistopolCity.

Good watch to start with, bracelet is absolute shit tier. Swap it for a 18mm zulu, nato or rubber strap.

And lot's of sellers to buy it from on eBay, but for fucks sake don't buy from said. Zenitar, Shmek and several more.

Bin that shitty bracelet if you get it. A good option is a bund strap.

My experience buying stuff internationally is absolutely fucking terrible. Meranon won't fuck me over, right?

Hello /wt/, first time poster.

My first and only real watch that I own is a Seiko SKX007K and since it looks like I can afford a new watch soon I'm asking you guys for advice.

I'd like a more dressy watch, considering the only watch I have is a diver.
White dial preferred but I'm open for suggestions.
Budget: about 400-500€, I'm kinda flexible.

So far I've been looking at the Tissot Visodate and the Hamilton Khaki.

Pic related, my current watch (with the image stolen from google).

No, Meranom is based and so is Zenitar. Bought from both, and theyre both great business owners. Back when you could buy in roubles it was great

Orient Star Classic

Tisell has a good number of "homages" with white dials. shop2.tisellkr.cafe24.com/

They're basically replicas (can you actually find any design differences between the tisel and a nomos or tisel and a rolex?) but the quality is decent and they use miyota movements which are decent. They represent a great value in classic designs.

Meranom is bro tier, Zenitar is also pretty nice.

Favinov, Shmek, moscowtimeseller to name a few more.

SDGM001 or 003,SARB035/33, Citizen grand classic, Hamilton Jazzmaster, Hamilton Thinomatic, Mido commander.

Avoid the visodate, thick case with oddly straight lugs.

I like that dial.

How do I clean a leather watch strap if the bit touching my skin is this side of the leather

My dad has a kickstarter chronograph and has had to send one back twice to get repaired

It was from a Polish brand I think. I think it's good that he was able to send it back with postage paid for and actually have it repaired, but the fact he's had to send it back twice is a bit off-putting

Meranon works for Vostok and you could basically consider him unofficial official Vostok retailer
Zenitar is supposed to be good too

G Gerlach?

I can't remember
He's abroad (and asleep) at the moment and took his watch with him
I'll ask him what watch it was when I next to speak with him

SARB035, I was going to pull the trigger but my wrists are huge. If you have around 7in or less wrists do it.

I have a Black Tissot Automatic III, look into it, the face has texture to it and it works well with any dress clothes. Usually you can get it for around $300usd

On another note anyone else hit the wall? Decide they are done buying watches until they grab a grail or semi-grail? I am going to save up for a Black Bay. Not buying anything until then

Thinking of getting a vintage swiss watch with Unitas 6325 a.k.a. Wehrmachtswerk. Any opinions on the movement? I heard it was used a lot in the 70s in a lot of brands but mostly positive reviews about the accuracy. + the watch in question is in mint condition

Turns out I was the one to inherit my grandfather watch. From what I can tell it's a Tissot Le Locle (yes I can read), but I can't seem to find the exact model. When I look online the dial is quite different. Anyone knows?

I really like the look of it, but the band is in pretty bad shape, completely cracked from the inside, any recommendation, preferably cheap?

>I was going to pull the trigger but my wrists are huge. If you have around 7in or less wrists do it.

I have an SCVS003 which is basically the older version of the SARB033 and I think it looks fine on my ~7.5 inch wrist.

There's likely a reference number on the back.

it looks good on you, I don't think I could make it work. my wrists are closer to 7.75

There is but it's the l164/264 which simply corresponds to the Le Locle from what I gathered.

tan leather nato

Yup that's the exact reference I had. Fortunately, I didn't lose any money on it.

What's the problem with wearing small, or normal size, watches on large wrists? I think they look great.

Got 8.5" wrists and I love my Alpinist.

Thoughts?

great watch,great movement, great gift for my grandson

Just talked to him, it wasn't Polish
It's from a brand called William L.

Found this beauty today

gasgasbones strap en route.

Escrow closing & wife giving birth in the next week. buying this for myself to celebrate.

I don't like the orange hand, but I rather like the Explorer II

Looks like Tag sucked the life out of you just as it sucked the life or of Heuer.

How about you stop being a cunt and put the money aside for the kid's college fund?

FFS unless you're a pilot, race car driver, or firefighter where there's an actual danger of fire heating up the steel case and burning your wrist, do not wear a bund strap unironically. It looks like autism shoes for your wrist.

is that thing atleast comfortable? looks like something they give special ed kids

SARX019. I'd get one of I didn't already buy too many watches this year (tried to get one as a present for my gf but she refuse to wear any watch). Better get one soon too because they were recently discontinued.

You want to buy your gf a man's watch?

You don't. Brush off any dirt and condition it with an oil. Treat it like leather shoes.

pffft. already set up an education trust to avoid capital gains faggot.

Spot the American, guys
Some places (most of the rest of the world) university is either free, or the government pays and you pay them back when you are working in that field.
Teaching children to be responsible

the guy he's talking to is definitely an american though as indicated by buying a rolex

Militær as well

I just purchased a second GW-5000. I couldn't pass for the price.
I want to put it on a different strap, any suggestions besides strap-adapters/combi-bracelet?

Thinking of adapters + G-Lide strap. Thoughts?

How much was it?