/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
man
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Other urls found in this thread:

musicpd.org/
winehq.org/
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=74
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=284724
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Get started with SSH

>Intro to ufw

Old thread: saved

shit I thought internet by usb would be way harder than that for some reason
need to try

I'm going to install Gentoo on one of my machines and wondered, do I _have_ to include/exclude every USE flag or should I only include the ones that I want and exclude just the ones that I absolutely don't want?
What happens if I don't {ex|in}clude USE flags? Does portage still compile them in ?

>that image
nothing gets my goat more than incorrect useage of i.e.; those should all e.g.
e.g. shows examples
i.e. shows equivalency
it's not fucking hard people

It's cool to see an overview, but nobody use that please. There's a good wiki for a reason.

How's that different from the wiki?

Some user made this.

What's the name of that terminal-based music player software that people like using on Linux?

MPD (Music Player Daemon)
musicpd.org/

thank you, sir.

ncmpcpp

Because it only shows one very specific setup.
Do you also like drinking your water from downstream when everyone took a shit into it and polluted it with everything?

Where's the definitive guide of setting up rtorrent+rutorrent?

>$man mail-server
>$man gpu-passthrough
>Doesn't work
Fuck off

>i need infographics to explain everything to me
>i have ADD and can't read standalone text found on websites or documentation provided by the things i intend to use

Where the fuck is your man page now?

I spent one day reading xorg and gnome manpage and the online shit. It's all obscure bullshit. Nobody tells you (for example) that gnome reconfigure the xorg and doesn't give a fuck about your xorg.conf.

ncmpcpp is only the ui for accessing the music player; mpd is what actually plays the music

What are the advantages of using Linux over windows?

Far more configurable to a specific task

It's not about man-pages. It's about going to the original guides and instructions provided by the creators. If you can't get it from upstream, get it from somewhere reputable, as close to upstream as possible.

-Faster, customizable
-Runs without BSOD for ages without needing to reboot
-Has less background process, less crash prone
-Little amount of malware written for it
-SSH fileservers, SSH proxy etc
-Free
-Updates doesn't take long, systemwide updates
-No remote shutdown/boot up
-Runs almost everywhere, phones, PCs, routers, servers
-Can harden security and privacy
-A working package manager

Well then I search like shit or something. Yesterday I was stuck for 3+ hours just trying to switch primary screen (with gnome installed, the login went on my dead laptop screen). So I tried to do it by cli and that's hard because even the wiki suggest using this gui or that gui thing you can't access. Same shit for network managers, they all want you to use a gui on debian for some reason.

Really frustrating day tho, today I went with debian minimal without much problem on two computers

It makes your epenis grow.

tiled window managers
possibility for extreme ricing
you have a better understanding of how your computer works
fun
and finally, if you manage to sleep with a woman, you can consider it a double victory - not only did you have to prove yourself attractive to successfully lure a female into coitus, but you also had to be outgoing enough to overcome the debilitating social shunning directed towards all linux users

Is privacy and security really such a concern with Windows? I have Windows 7

I'll be using it for writing

>Is privacy and security really such a concern with Windows? I have Windows 7
It's a question you have to ask yourself (privacy)
I don't really care about it, I still have linux on half of my comps.

Thoughts on Hanna Montana Linux?

What does [ -z "$DISPLAY" do and why does it only works on one of my two computers? (One says there's a missing [ )
if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ $(tty) == /dev/tty1 ]; then
startx
fi

(And if anyone has a better way to have startx on login)

I want a lightweight debian on my raspberry.

Putting raspbian on a sd card and removing gui and shit after is the only option?

Debian minimal for ARM?

-z asks "if zero"
so -z "$DISPLAY" asks if the DISPLAY variable is zero (the variable is automatically set and always zero when you're on a tty)
the second condition checks if you're on tty1 (CTRL+ALT+F1)

theres also a variable for the current tty.

Try this:
if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ "$XDG_VTNR" -eq 1 ]; then
startx
fi

Is there any reason to use a different password for root and a user which has sudo access?

limiting confusion

Unless you have a chance of getting infected by a sophisticated malware, no
It's a good practice to have different passwords though

Why do you want a root password?

Why do you want a user password?

Are you stupid?

Are you?

how does WINE work?

you install it, run a windows .exe file, and hope it works?

Install playonlinux
Install stuff from there
Hope it works

>you have a better understanding of how your computer works
No, you don't. Knowing what your window manager is called doesn't mean you know how a computer works.

You shouldn't really ever have to log in as root.
1) having a root account which you can log in as gives people a known target to brute force.
2) you dont need root to unfuck anything if you have hardware access.

But knowing what daemons run at bootup, what ports and what IPs to allow, deny and log, knowing what framework is an application will work on, how does the display server is forwarded, how ACPI calls are handled from their conf file, knowing what mirrors are prioritised, what DNS server is being used, what are the file systems and mountpoints of each USB interfaces, what kernel parameters are loaded teaches you how your computer works

>But knowing what daemons run at bootup,
You can find that out on Windows as well.

>what ports and what IPs to allow
You can do that on Windows too.

>knowing what framework is an application will work on
What are you even trying to say?

>how does the display server is forwarded
Not everyone forwards X11. Doing it doesn't mean you understand how it works. It only means you set it up by following a guide.

> knowing what mirrors are prioritised
How is that useful for 99% of the people? How is such a minor thing a worthwhile reason to switch an operating system?

> what DNS server is being used
You can choose your DNS servers on Windows too.

>what are the file systems and mountpoints of each USB interfaces
You can find out the file system of your USB flash drives on Windows too. The mount point one is very specific and I don't see how that's significant when comparing operating systems.

>what kernel parameters are loaded teaches you how your computer works
No. Reading about low-level programing, electronic engineering and physics would teach you how a computer works.

>how ACPI calls are handled from their conf file,
That's the only thing which is somewhat relevant in this comparison between the operating systems. Still, for the average user that's useless, since he won't bother with it anyway. The only acpi events people bothered with were the lid close and power button events, but since systemd those are handled by logind and there's no reason to fiddle with scripts any more.

t. not-deluded linux user

>linux user

Yes, that's the kernel I'm currently running.

>You can find that out on Windows as well.
May be it does but the options are limited and windows doesn't want to force you to do it. Windows is not a DIY OS. DIY OS' teach you how things work

>application framework
Google

>How display server is forwarded
Windows doesn't have that, does it? However in Linux you can tweak the forwarding to your preference. Do windows users know bow windows are rendered?
I thought so, it's not even open source

>How is that useful for 99% of the people?
It's useful for people who do not want to sit back and watch windows update fro 3 hours

>what DNS server is being used
Does DNSMasq and Unbound work in windows?

>You can find out the file system of your USB flash drives
So how do I find out what my mount/journaling options are in drive C:\\?

>what kernel parameters are loaded teaches you how your computer works
You haven't answered that

>how ACPI calls are handled from their conf file
>average user
So it's that same excuse of "average user" again. If you are not interested in computer technology why are you in Sup Forums actually? Tech support?

>bow
how*

Search in the application database
winehq.org/
e.g. appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=74
Some will have special instructions, most will have a rating of how well they work, if it has a garbage or bronze rating, you shouldn't expect it to fully function. silver and gold usually work fine, depending on wine version.

lubuntu user here

installed "master PDF editor" with the .deb package from the original source, the installation showed no erros but the application doesnt start
what do ? someone on stackex. has exactly the same problem, but noone answered it

Hey fellas, what's the best way to test out desktop environments if I'm currently using GNOME 3? I'm on Debian Jessie if that helps.

Should I use a VM, or is there a way to safely test them without potentially ruining my system?

Did you actually buy it?
VM or docker containers

VM, DEs may overwrite each others settings
This isn't true for WMs tho

./opt/master-pdf-editor-3/masterpdfeditor3
What is the terminal output?

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libqt5printsupport5
When I'm running it, it says it cannot find libqtprintsupport.so ... found the package using the synaptic package manager, it might work for you.

Just tested this

1. Install any Qt application
#apt install vlc
2. Download the tar file then
#tar -xvf master-pdf-editor-3.7.10_qt5.amd64.tar.gz && sudo ./master-pdf-editor-3/masterpdfeditor3

You don't really need to install it

no didnt buy, ubuntu wiki says you dont need to buy it
file or directory not found
i found the folder, it contains the lang folder a .png, license.txt and the file masterpdfeditor3 (which doesnt react when I run it)

What happens when you do this?

Same error, it says there's a ] missing.

It's in .bash_profile, I tested and it's exactly this line that cause this error, without the if it does startx.

Even more strange it works on my other computer.. They have the exact same setup except one has amd64 debian and the other i386 debian. Otherwise I've installed the same exact stuff.

Try the bash way:

if [[ -z "$DISPLAY" && "$XDG_VTNR" -eq 1 ]]; then
startx
fi

but the other way should work too, pretty strange

>May be it does but the options are limited and windows doesn't want to force you to do it.
The options are the same as with, let's say, systemd. Compare that recent GTK3 front-end for systemd with Windows' service manager program and you'll have the same options.

>Google
Search what? How does the fact that a certain program is using GTK3 or another Qt5 teach you about computers? Does knowing that Windows program uses WinForms or .NET or whatever they're using teach you about computers?

>Windows doesn't have that, does it? However in Linux you can tweak the forwarding to your preference. Do windows users know bow windows are rendered?
First of all, I don't know if there's a way on Windows to forward the screen to another computer. Secondly, neither do you or the average GNULinux user know how windows are "rendered". Just because you know it's using the X windowing system, doesn't mean you or they know how it's being displayed on a technical level. Stop being so pretentious.

>It's useful for people who do not want to sit back and watch windows update fro 3 hours
How do you know that the downloading part of updating is the bottleneck for Windows updates? You don't and I seriously doubt the downloading part is what's making it take so long.

>Does DNSMasq and Unbound work in windows?
I don't know. Even if it doesn't, how does that specific thing "teach you how computers work"?

>So how do I find out what my mount/journaling options are in drive C:\\?
You're comparing functionality which isn't intended and out of place in a product. That's like me asking "how do I assign my HOME directory the C: drive letter?".

>You haven't answered that
Answered what? Even compiling a kernel won't teach you how a computer works. It will "teach" you how you compile and enable a kernel module/option and that's it. It won't even teach you anything about that option/module, unless you specifically go and read about it.

>why are you on [...]
Because I want to.

did the first thing
had to do apt-get -f install
but the tar code gives:
master-pdf-editor-3/masterpdfeditor3.desktop
./master-pdf-editor-3/masterpdfeditor3: error while loading shared libraries: libQt5PrintSupport.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

i have the tar file and also did cd Downloads

thank you for the help so far

You don't have the dependencies installed. You will need to install them. running it from the terminal like you did will tell you what is missing.
>libQt5PrintSupport.so.5.
This is the library it is missing. Try google to find which package provides this.

How come whenever I boot linux and then go back to windows on my dual boot setup my mouse and keyboard no longer work unless I turn the power off for a while? Quite infuriating and I'm sure I'm just being a retard and missing something

Honestly I would switch to Linux in a heartbeat If I didn't play a bunch of old games and VNs.

>Try google
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

No error but now it doesn't work (I still use $(tty) because the variable is working and $XDG_VTNR isn't defined).

>[[-z "DISPLAY" ]] && echo true
expected binary operator
syntax error near "true"
>[[ "ok" = "ok"]] && echo true
true

What the fuck.

II don't know what's going on
I ran the two exact same line and one return an error (the one baove) the other ran fine.

I've got one line [[ "ok" = "ok" ]]&& echo true that doesn't work (every time I run it again with the up arrow key)
It makes no sense, sometimes I just need to erase and rewrite [[ "ok" = and it works, other time only ]] and what.

I think there's a ghost.

Is there a way to have ffmpeg output something only using three colors?

[ and [[ both need spaces

>[[-z "DISPLAY" ]] && echo true
>[-z "DISPLAY" ] && echo true
will fail

>[[ -z "DISPLAY" ]] && echo true
>[ -z "DISPLAY" ] && echo true
will success

What old games? There is retroarch.
Kill yourself moron.

did sudo-apt install libqt5printsupport5
and then the tar code
the editor starts now

XDG_VTNR is ofc not defined when you're not in a tty

enjoy your botnet

So when will kubuntu 14 users get the new 16 updates?

Old games are actually best for playing through WINE, it's more so newer things that have issues.

type bash
then try it

>thinks google isn't a verb
I feel sorry for you son.

go away tripfag

>being a dense normalfag

That's the right error indeed.

Now to explain why and how I typed an invalid space.. Because I've got two lines in my bash that are exactly the same, if I just rewrite the " ]] part, it works. So I've got an incorrect space for some reason what the heck..

Oh god I found it. Alt gr + space produce a space. I don't know what space but it's not the correct space (however, it's EXACTLY the same as the normal one) and I must have touched alt gr (which is next to the space bar) while typing.

Why do I always end up spending one hour on a stupid thing? And it's still basically my fault. ;_;

go "search on the internets" granddad.

[ is actually a command, so use it like a command, hence man [

No the code was right, I copied it here wrong sorry. (there's a space missing on both anyway.)

it's alirght guys, I just stumbled on a feature bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=284724

How do I remap this shitty key? (I have to use it to type [ hence if I don't release it quick enough before pressing space I get a non breaking space.

what happend to the linux video torrents? can so upload these to uploaded.net?

old thread 404'd before someone made a new one, so I guess OP pasted an older version
see

thank you

>you'll have the same options.
Again, windows won't force you to get your hand dirty

>How does the fact that a certain program is using GTK3 or another Qt5 teach you about computers?
I see you googled. Now use your common sense and ask yourself why there are two versions of transmission: gtk and qt and which one works in windows. If you are on a gtk-based DE you would want to stay away from Qt based applications since it pulls in bloat.

>I don't know if there's a way on Windows to forward the screen to another computer.
There's none
>Just because you know it's using the X windowing system,
Yes I do, and I know and have the freedom to customize the way X is compiled, unlike windows.

>How do you know that the downloading part of updating is the bottleneck for Windows updates?
By seeing download being stuck at 25%
By seeing installing updates not being stuck at all

>I don't know if DNSMasq works or not
It interacts with DHCP and DNS is one of the core parts of Network stack so yeah, it teaches how computers work. Click install wont teach you a thing
>You're comparing functionality which isn't intended and out of place in a product
Every mount has been mounted with specific options. For Linux/BSD you actually can see/manage/tweak them. You can do that on windows as well, with third party softwares, newfag

>Even compiling a kernel won't teach you how a computer works
Oh boy, this is a big one. Kernel is the operating system. You changing/tweaking your own kernel modules essentially means you know what you are doing. If you are depmoding pcspkr, you know what module it is deleting. If tweaking your own kernel doesn't teach you about your operating system, may be programming your kernel teach you?

To bad you can't view NT's source.

>I want to be in Sup Forums because I want to fit in
Then find other places for shitposting. Sup Forums is more appropriate

Sup Forums is for tech enthusiasts, "average users" stay out

>defending Windows
>get your hand dirty
>hand

>Again, windows won't force you to get your hand dirty
Neither do certain distributions.

>would want to stay away from Qt based applications since it pulls in bloat.
Chances are you already have the Qt libraries installed, therefore it's not "bloat". Neither is it bloat if you need it. You should look up the definition of bloat before throwing that word around.

>By seeing download being stuck at 25%
And you think that choosing a "better" mirror for the Windows updates will make it "install faster"? How do you know the progress indicator is representative of the actual download progress (that it's not just there to please the user)? How do you know that you're not already maxing out your bandwidth for the download?

>Kernel is the operating system
It's really not, but I'm sure there resident interjection poster will inform you shortly about it.

>may be programming your kernel teach you?
Indeed, programming your own kernel will teach you a part of how a computer works.

see

>certain distributions.
Then you can compile your own stuff in certain distros, even your desktop environment, dhcp and network manager, display server etc.

>Bloat
Yes, you call transmission-Qt bloat in gtk systems and vice-versa.
There are distros that only have one application framework out there as well.

>it's not just there to please the user
Okay, so you are saying when windows says "downloading" or "installing" it lies? wow really convenient for your "argument"
there

>Kernel is not the operating system
Kernel is the operating system.
GNU includes a kernel named Linux-libre. Many users use Linux instead of Linux-libre because of compatibility reasons. It's a Linux version of GNU so it's called GNU/Linux

>Indeed, programming your own kernel will teach you a part of how a computer works.
Nice, Linux can actually be forked and thus teaches you how computer works (By your definition). So NT fails here?

>It's a Linux version of GNU so it's called GNU/Linux
You what?
Linux is not a linux version of anything. You choose to call it gnu/linux because some fat broke man cries about getting credit for his work.

>Changing the topic
Linux-libre is a fork of Linux. Use google

Yes, linux is not a of gnu version of anything, which is what you stated.

>google

Linux-libre is now part of GNU :)