AMD Zen ES info

>tl;dr expect Haswell performance at launch (limited 2016 Q4 launch, wider availability in Q1 2017)

Taken from anandtech forums, all the information matches up with what's known so far.

Zen ES is at the moment in revision A0 - it might not be a surprise.

L2/L3 variations: 2/8 MB, 4/16 MB, 8/32 MB, 12/64 MB, 16/64 MB
(512kb L2/core, 8MB/4 cores)

Core counts are: 4c/8t, 8c/16t, 16c/32t, 32c/64t. As it seems now there won't be a 6c/12t at the launch, there will be only complete core complexes. Later AMD might release a 6/12 version, will see.

AMD's working on 2 kind of packages: AM4 and SP3. Later there might be a SP4 package of course.

4 variants of ES Zen are available at the moment:
AM4 8 cores with 95W TDP
AM4 4 cores with 65W TDP
SP3 24 cores with 150W TDP
SP3 32 cores with 180W TDP

Other urls found in this thread:

hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/from_ati_to_amd_back_journey_in_futility/
ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5-2670-V3-ES-2-2Ghz-30MB-12-Core-LGA2011-3-120W-22nm-Processor-CPU-/401109350960
ebay.com/itm/AMD-OPTERON-16-CORE-PROCESSOR-6276-OS6276WKTGGGU-G34-FREE-THERMAL-PASTE-/172252183202?hash=item281b07baa2:g:NGMAAOSwNuxXbQnC
ark.intel.com/search/advanced?s=t&CoreCountMin=8&MaxTDPMax=95
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The most exciting part is core clock. The 8c/95W variant base clock is 2.8GHz, all core boost is 3.05GHz and maximum boost is 3.2GHz.
The 4c/65W part's clock is the same. (I would expect 3.5GHz base clock for a retail 4c/95W variant.)

Idle clock is exciting as well. AM4 versions can lower the clock to 550 MHz in idle which is a very nice level from an AMD CPU. Idle wattage is 5W for 8c version and 2.5W for 4c version.

The SP3 versions have even lower idle clock: it's only 400MHz. Regarding the boost clocks the 32c/180W version has a 2.9GHz boost clock and the 24c/150W version has a 2.75GHz boost clock.

AFAIK Intel has no answer for the 32c/64t Zen variant, so it could be a great win for AMD on the server market.

What AMD is doing different in case of Zen is the purpose of the CPU. AMD doesn't build it for the future but for the present. Maybe it won't be strong in AVX and FMA but an average user won't realize it because the average user won't use the AVX and FMA capabilities. Average Joe will see that Zen is as fast as Haswell on Intel's side (if AMD won't screw it up) and it's enough for everything what Average Joe does on his PC.

On server side Haswell IPC and high core count with a reasonable price will convince the customers to give AMD a try. And I hope AMD can grab the chance after all the years of failures.

Can't wait to be disappointed again

Don't expect Skylake performance and you'll be happy.

My main concern is the fact that AMD is locked in to using GF's 14 nm LPP process.

Haven't you read shit?

But will it be botnet like every AMD CPU newer than BullDozer (and every Intel CPU newer than Core2)?

If you're aren't expecting disappointment then you are not a very smart man

I'm expecting sandy bridge performance.

Pretty much this.

It'll get hyped to hell and then be not only a disappointment due to the hype but a disappointment for reasonable expectations.

It's just what AMD does these days.

Can't get excited by CPUs news anymore. Weren't they supposed to have hundreds of cores by now?

I'm tired of proprietary, FMA-specific GPU shit.

Also this.

So in other words a 4 core Zen CPU will have lower IPC and a lower clock rate than an i7-6700K while consuming more energy. And by the time it's released we will already have Kabylake on the market which is even better than Skylake.

They have access to Samsung's node as well apparently, so if GloFo fucks things up again, they can fall back on samsung's stuff until GloFo gets their shit together.

Personally I'm expecting around Haswell performance. If it does that and smacks my SB-E Xeon around a good bit, I'll probably get an 8c to replace the Xeon.

>I'm expecting sandy bridge performance.

The fact AMD states in their Q2 earnings slide deck that Zen is on track to beat their previous 40% IPC target is only good news.

I'm pretty sure that deliberately misleading investors can get you in to some serious shit so they wouldn't put it in unless they knew the target could be reached.

Just for reference - AMD's slides from a previous event that stated just 40%.

Pretty much yeah.

Only thing they could have going is a very reasonable price.

It's not like intel drops the price of older generations when they're replaced. They just stop producing them and that's that.

i red a lot of shit before the rx480 and none of it were true

14nm LPP was originally designed for low power mobile chips right?

TSMC's 16 nm FF+ seems to be doing well with high powered Pascal chips.

AMD get stomped if Intel decided to actually compete

>40.5%

hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/from_ati_to_amd_back_journey_in_futility/

This was totally correct.

>tl;dr expect Haswell performance at launch (limited 2016 Q4 launch, wider availability in Q1 2017)
Something new for something that came out back in the jurassic period?

I wish it were true, I really do. AMD getting back in the CPU game would be amazing.
But I can't believe it until I see it.

I still think that the 14nm LPP will fuck them in the end.
There probably won't be much overclocking headroom at all.
Also, stock clocks are quite low too

>AMD get stomped if Intel decided to actually compete

True. Really you could only hope they would be more of a nuisance than perceived competition.

I almost feel bad for AMD on the GPU front. Every time they have something reasonable on the table nVidia already has an answer waiting in the wings to stomp them two weeks later.

I think so, I havent really kept track of the specifics of the node that Samsung's pile of Zen chips is going to be built on.

I wish AMD tore up that wafer supply agreement with GF and just went to TSMC

It's harming them so badly at this point.

nah fuck that. i dont want any amd cpus in my rig ever again.

This.

It was a bad decision. No need to make it any worse by trying to stick with it.

>totally correct

Hey at least nothing can beat Bulldozer in terms of disappointment.

>In the simplest terms AMD has created a product that runs hotter and slower than its competition's new architecture by a potentially significant margin.

Sounds right.

Its entirely possible that when it was written AMD was locked in for a set period of time, or for a set number of wafers. They may not be able to break out of it until the terms of the agreement are complete.

It's Intel Icelake, and it will be released in 2017 or 2018

I don't know man.

The Hype train should start getting into gear any month now. By the end of the year some people will be convinced it's an Intel killer.

>significant margin
>84C vs 77C
>5-10% difference in DX11 loss for AMD
>10-20% difference in DX12/Vulkan loss for Nvidia
Stop your meme, kyle

Desktop isn't important for AMD, if they can take away some of Intel's high margin Xeon business it's excellent news for them

Well if 16-core actually comes to consumer chips, then it will already beat a good deal of Intel shit since AMD isn't using the trash 2 core modules like last time. At least for my purposes, more cores would help. I'm expecting high launch prices for Zen though since there's gonna be low initial yields.

Businesses have contracts and obligations. So even if they release it today, it won't have much impact on business sector for a while. What will have impact is the desktop market and the enthusiasts market. They will bring in the vocal support and PR for AMD. They will change at notice because they dont have obligations.

Ready up for Dead on Arrival 2.0

>posting gpu related stuff on a cpu related thread

this desu

16 and 32 core shit that undercut the fuck out of xeon pricing would be a big win for workstation builds - anyone doing big project development or video/3d rendering work could get a fat core count without taking a second mortgage for a pair of the higher-end xeon chips

ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5-2670-V3-ES-2-2Ghz-30MB-12-Core-LGA2011-3-120W-22nm-Processor-CPU-/401109350960

ebay.com/itm/AMD-OPTERON-16-CORE-PROCESSOR-6276-OS6276WKTGGGU-G34-FREE-THERMAL-PASTE-/172252183202?hash=item281b07baa2:g:NGMAAOSwNuxXbQnC
>Used prices for anything
>Being relevant
Pick one.

12 Intel cores > 16 AMD cores

14nm LPE was the design process aimed at small low power chips

LPP (or LP+) is more advanced and tooled for larger chips.

>8 core
>95w
Come on son, not even intel has done this and they are still 50% higher IPC at the moment with a 10nm planned.

Zen better be dirt cheap

>Don't expect Skylake performance and you'll be happy.

Haswell performance is literally Skylake performance (minus 8%), you dumb shitfuck.

In essence, you're saying AMD will catch up to Intel with Zen.

Are you even listening to yourself? Now wonder you amd drones get disappointed so much. You don't even self-analyze your own speech.

I'm currently on a 4.7GHz 4790K, if AMD actually manages the same IPC and the 8C part can OC up to the same ballpark - they've got themselves a customer if the price is also right, which is to say much cheaper than Intel's own 8C processors.

Still with a maximum boost of 3.2GHz it doesn't sound all too promising, I doubt a ~50% OC will be possible on a 8C part, even under a custom WC loop.

Show me an 8 core Intel CPU with 95w TDP

I'm saying don't expect AMD to outright beat Intel in performance, idiot

Intel is roughly double the AMD's performance. Yet the price difference is 560%.

ark.intel.com/search/advanced?s=t&CoreCountMin=8&MaxTDPMax=95

You have plenty of choices.

>minus 8%
That's optimistic. More like 4-5%.

>rig
Go fuck off to YouTube.

To be quite frankly honest, if it's better than Sandy or Ivy, then I'll buy just for the sake of getting 8 cores. ffmpeg and building software would get a nice boost, which I would definitely enjoy. I don't expect to pay less than $500 however.

Get ready to spend at least $600. Don't expect AMD to cater to poorfags. They simply can't afford it anymore. If Zen fails, they're done.

Sadly this. AMD doesn't deliver what they promise at all.

I was going to say $600, but it would be weird having the 4core revision at half. They wouldn't price their 4core version at 6700k prices while not beating it.

>The most exciting part is core clock. The 8c/95W variant base clock is 2.8GHz, all core boost is 3.05GHz and maximum boost is 3.2GHz.
>The 4c/65W part's clock is the same. (I would expect 3.5GHz base clock for a retail 4c/95W variant.)
So haswell ipc with worse clocks? That's disappointing. At least they'll have a competent core to build off of now.

>get hype for Zen
>it releases
>sold out everywhere in 40 seconds
>AMD can't supply chips for months
>Intel releases a new CPU for $50-$100 more that does about the same and has insignificantly higher benchmarks
>For lack of Zen, everyone buys Intel
Screencap this.

I really hope I have a job by March 2017.

daily reminder to avoid first implementation AMD new cpu microarchitecture

Barcelona, Zambezi, zacate and llano are plague ridden

my 2600k still stomps, so if zen has haswell ipc with 8 cores, 16 threads, then ill be set for another 5-6 years as more games and stuff use more cores

Just in time for Intel's Kaby Lake launch lol

I wouldn't mind a cheap 8 core for my server desu

>ywn get 32 core Zen and crank out 1080p x264 encodes at 600 fps

Keep in mind that the Enterprise/Server socket and the chips that will go in it will support at least 4 sockets per system. 128c/256t per system. Can you even imagine that kind of processing power?

Nice Anandtech forums copypasta

Theres nothing wrong with 14nm LPP. The Stilt has been doing nothing but spreading ill informed nonsense.

That's a lot of animu you can encode simultaneously.

>mfw barcelona TLB bug
The amdfags damage control was sweet.

>Llano
>any issues

My Llano system has never had a single problem.

How is the "low" clock a bad thing? fuck a 5Ghz can't match their 3.2Ghz...so a 2.8Ghz matching it is really good news.

I do expect performance above haswell and maybe on par with broadwell, so 2-4% even 5% below Skylake would be very very nice.

Im not expecting an i5-i7 killer right out the gate...I wan't to think AMD will play it alá RX 480 launching first the 4C/8T variant along with maybe the 16c/32t variant to pump the hype on the 8c/32c variants.

Im running a 8320 @ 4.6Ghz for the past 3 years and im not complaning, shure a friend of mine has a 2500 non k with a 970 thats faster than my pc but it's not that much.

The thing i hope for is the APUs.

a 35W 4c/8t or 6c/12t with a moddest 270x-460x level of performance igpu on a cheap sub $500 usd laptop would be a killer in a market flooded with 2c/4t "i7's" paired with 840m-960m at above $500usd

now translate that to the desktop market with a 50+w TDP and AMD could be making it big time.

I seriously hope for them to be a success on the server and the custom chips market ...thats where the money is.

16c/32c variants are server only.

Summit Ridge will compete with Ivy Bridge-Haswell per clock.
Summit Ridge is positioned against the i7E line, not the higher clocked mainstream i5s and i7s.
Socket AM4 only supports 8 core chips. It does not support any MCM Opterons

Your overclocked Vishera will be incredibly close to Summit Ridge at stock clocks in more serial workloads.

>tfw compiling fizzbuzz at 64 threads

I really hope that AMD succeeds this time, I don't think they can take another big failure after Bulldozer being such a flop. If they get the single core performance at least close to what current intel cpu's offer (maybe 5%-10% below skylake or something like that) it will probably be good enough for gaming, and those high core counts sound awesome for workstations.

>spend ten times the R&D money
>get twice the performance
Geez that's hilarious diminishing returns
AMD should toss their CPU division twice the budget for a couple years and instead of (maybe) 80% competitive Zen they could be 90%

Pricing will be massively important I think.

Like you said, I doubt they'll get near current Intel CPUs in terms of single core performance but if it's a good chunk cheaper I'll happily settle for a 8 core model or something.

Theres nothing to worry about there, they're already getting deals for supplying a couple supercomputers. They even have a semi-custom APU for HPC some Chinese firm bought.

Yeah, top binning Summit Ridge will probably be $500.
Its not a mainstream desktop part.

That would be bretty gud. I'll wait until a revision anyway and hopefully get something pretty sweet.

Depends on the work load. Strangely I got a 6700K and a 4790K and they both trade blows in CPU benchmarks. I expected the 6700K to win in every department but it doesn't. Only major win seems to be PCSX2 and Dolphin benchmarks.

What about thermal and power draw?

>Don't expect AMD to cater to poorfags.
Then why wouldn't you just buy a high end Xeon or the new i7-6950X?

AMD is going to have a tough time convincing anyone to buy their shit if they're going to make everyone pay a premium for the "privilege" of owning a precious Zen chip on top of having to buy a whole new motherboard.

Thanks, but no thanks. Kaby Lake will be here soon, so I see little reason to buy one of these Zens.

The people who would be interested in buying a quad core mainstream Kaby Lake CPU are not even the right demographic for who would be interested in 8 core Summit Ridge.

Will AMD ever release a CPU faster than my 5930K ?

>mfw $ make -j64

So handhold a retard real quick. Im on a 4770k and want more threads.

Im waiting on zen and I cant understand what thr x99 replacement will be? Is that icelake?

Just want an 8 core thats better or equal to my current set up and wont cost an arm and a leg for my next build. Is there any reason one could expect this to be possible in the next year or should I just bite the bullet and buy one of the new intel 8 cores?

>should I just bite the bullet and buy one of the new intel 8 cores?
Fuck Intel for increasing their prices even more with Broadwell-E. It's AMD fault for being so incompetent as well. Fuck, I hate everything.

Broadwell-E will be replaced by Skylake-E.

It won't be on X99 though.

they heavily promoted it with "ability to dual graphics just like crossfire with select radeon gpu"

turns out most games runs like shit and heavy stutter with dual graphic enabled, some of them even produce artifacts. the trinity fixes it though, however, with even narrower choice of gpu, and inferior multithreading cpu.

idk whats wrong with zacate, it is a fine laptop apu

>The Stilt has been doing nothing but spreading ill informed nonsense.

For someone with his level of knowledge he sure does talk some shit at times.

>x264
are you a fucking caveman?

Its amazing how stupid some smart people are

HEVC is too tasking right now. VP10 is a joke.

Perfect for installing gentoo.

Is gpu encoding still behind cpu encoding for quality? I know it used to be.

I don't know. I did try NVENC on Linux with a 970 and the quality was mediocre with filesizes not having almost any improvement.

Even with wishful thinking it just won't be a step forward.
CPUs just stopped getting better.

>i red a lot of shit before the rx480 and none of it were true
It delivers you almost 980 for sub 300$ with overclocking.
In certain scenarios (anything with Vulkan/dx12) outperfoms it by a mile

Raja's ony mistake was that stupid reference that was just TOO BAD and was a hit to reputation.

While I can see what AMD were doing if they had used a goddamn heatpipe based heatsink the 480 would've performed a lot better. Still they sold shitloads of them (sauce: gibbo) and really cashed in before Nvidia could get the 1060 out in force.

Though you;d think after the poor reference cooler of the 290x AMD would learn their lesson.

(fun fact: the shroud the reference 480 uses was first used on reviewer only reference 390/390x cards)

>Put some stuff on my tablet from my plex folder
>didn't realise it was HSBC
>All 4 cores maxed out at 2.3.ghz
>Stutter

Didn't realise it was that demanding