Why do people feel the need to install Linux etc

I know a lot of people who install Linux; Ubuntu, Kali, Mint etc. It does not make them any better at IT or Technology, i just dont get it! Look at my PC, I do a lot of pen testing, exploitation, coding and networking and this is the only machine i need to use apart from my PI. People need to start realising they are not any smarter buy buying overpriced processors and installing other OS'

Other urls found in this thread:

yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

also i know Linux is helpful for a lot of things but many people don't even use the tools it gives but only the same tools you can use on Windows

Whats your setup for pen testing on Windows?

i wouldn't say i have one, i do all my stuff manually. If i was to pen test an application i would use .net reflector, search for intriguing code and attack it

So, what's your point? That you know many retards?

Why do people feel the need to lock themselves in to Windows?

>claims to do pen testing
>screenshot shows that pens aren't even available for his display

Nice troll.

why do people feel the need to tell people to use linux?

You came to the Internet forum without "Linux" in its name with the highest percentage of Linux users in the world, so expect them to talk about it and suggest you to try it. If you were on any other site you wouldn't hear from them.

It's not so much as suggest, it's more of a GNU/Gestapo.

Anyone mentions using Windows or OSX, the freedom sperging begins.

Hahahahahaha into the trash it goes

>It does not make them any better at IT or Technology
It makes them better at Linux, and therefore more valuable for the industry.

That's pretty small-time, senpai

i think everyone is missing the point, i have used Linux plenty of times and sure its nice and sexy but all the people i know who uses Linux for IT uses the same tools which can be used on Windows, if one of you can tell me what you do on Linux i will leave the thread alone haha

yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal

no, this is not a personal experience. I have a lot of other guys I know who do some big work with Windows. it offers everything. I am not saying Linux is bad but i am saying factually the majority of people who have a linux os can't do shit on it

Obviously you don't work in "the industry"

Everything is moving to customer facing, and not backend. Give it 10 years and a PR and Marketing qualification will be more valuable to the IT industry than a CS degree. Even so, pretty much everything runs on windows now, only reason for an engineer to have linux on their workstation is for server maintenance.

agreed

Successful bait.

Nearly all productive third party software runs under both operating systems, as you have pointed out. That's why transitioning between OSs easy for anyone but gamers.

The reason I use Linux based systems is many fold. They are fast. They are stable. They are terse. They are well documented. They are light on resources. They are highly customizable. They are as open source as you want them to be. They give me control over the behavior of my entire system. The internals are well designed. They are highly portable.

Why I don't use Windows or OSX: they developed by businesses with vested interest driving design choices of key software and usability. This means that if the company decides to stop supporting software, it often means the end of life for the software, its dependencies, or its community. This means if new software comes along, I am often coerced into using it (see the ENTIRE Win10 shitshow et al, and forced obsoleteness bought on by the previous sentence). This means that things are boxed up so I can't see them. This means that my computer has backdoors and sends usage information to people I don't know and for reasons I am unaware of.

I don't play modern games. So I don't use Windows, unless absolutely necessary (read, communicate with people who only use Windows Office products exclusively). I work in research, where I think it's important to avoid lockin to reach the widest audience possible. I also develop low level code, and the system is wonderful to work with, compared to Windows internals, which are just bastardized versions of everything good about Unix. Programming in Windows is a fucking nightmare and a waste of time.

I guess that's some of the mentality behind what you are asking. Is there anything that you disagree with particularly?

Agreed. I work with embedded systems and there's ports of linux for everything. Geez, look at the vocore project, it's a ridiculous SoC a little bit larger than an ESP8266 and it runs fucking loonix with wifi, cron, pam, and all the shit.

If linux doesn't succeed on the desktop, at least it covers +90% of the embedded platforms. I know MS released their IoT core but at the time their ports only work on 2 or 3 platforms.

>They are fast
So is Windows unless you bloat it down

>They are stable
Linux is supposedly known for it's stability, yet I've had more kernel panics (driver related) than I ever had bluescreens (any reasons) since XP.
I guess it doesn't mean much as it's not a requiring environment, but still.

>terse, well documented, light on resources
Sure.

>highly customizable
Not necessairly a good thing, but I see your point.

>everything else
Sure.

>That's why transitioning between OSs easy for anyone but gamers.
Linux is kinda crap for any kind of serious video editing, graphic or music work tho, as the tools are simply not there.
Not to mention inferior support for hardware.

>I don't play modern games.
Even that is not that much of an issue nowadays, as games are ported to Linux, so.

>Programming in Windows is a fucking nightmare and a waste of time.
Elaborate, please. I'm genuinely curious.

[not op, I'm just someone who saw the thread]

The thread having covered illustrating people who use Linux because it's the only/better environment for their specific needs (scientific research, work in IT), why doesn't it make sense that a person with normal needs would prefer GNU/Linux (to name one) to Windows? Supposing both have every piece of software you may need, what exactly makes windows such an obvious choice that preferring Linux is, as you say, just a mean for showing off?

why do people feel the need to ask stupid questions that have been answered many times over outside of a SQT

Because Windows doesn't have a reasonable file system tree or a decent shell (and I don't count PS as one). In *nix, the entire operating system is an environment for development (of software in particular). The shell is extremely versatile, and you can install any kind of window manager to improve your workflow as much as possible, and if you ever had a need to write or read directly to some hardware device you can often do that as well through /sys/ or /proc/. Speaking of installing things, package managers and the repositories are immensely useful, and the automated build systems that distros ship are based as fuck. The filesystems are better, and with stuff like SELinux it's also far more secure.

People feel the need to install Linux because it's useful, not because they believe they'll magically be better at computing.

Because Turbo AUtiSm0 can't grasp the concept of different needs for different people.

"Normies" shouldn't use linux.
I had my mother use Ubuntu for a bit, she fucking hated it.
She likes Windows tho.

There's no real reason to pick Linux over Windows when it comes to non-technical stuff.

All op's arguments would work just as well in a 'nobody needs windows' thread.

>Elaborate, please. I'm genuinely curious.

Too much mouse usage in almost every context, and often the hotkeys are not modifiable to the full extent they should be.

How is that programming related you mongrel.

It is programming related. Have you never fucking used an IDE?

pure coincidence the amount of anti GNU/Linux thread at the final week of the "free" wangblows 10 """upgrade"""

p u r e
u
r
e

c o i n c i d e n c e

I know a lot of people who install Windows. It does not make them any better at IT or Technology, i just dont get it! Look at my PC, I do a lot of pen testing, exploitation, coding and networking and this is the only machine i need to use apart from my PI. People need to start realising they are not any smarter buy buying overpriced processors and installing other OS'

Let me add just a little to this.

Recently I have been using a Kinect for research. I would have bought a different device, but Microsoft pretty much bought up and shutdown the depth camera market years ago.

It's not a big deal because I'm on a Windows 7 machine at work. I interfaces with Matlab slowly, but time isn't critical yet, so not a huge worry.

Recently we picked up a Kinect2 for higher fidelity (aka Kinect One, or just branded as Kinect to fuck with you, never mind the cash in "for Windows" and "For X-box" arbitrary distinction for a cash grab). Guess what, the SDK under Windows 7 isn't supported!! Only Windows 8 and 10 (more cash grab). The official reason is that the USB 3.0 isochronous mode is highly sensitive and couldn't work under Windows 7 architecture. Ignoring the techno babble I find libfreenect2 will run Kinect2 on Windows 7.

I will eventually need to program C control code for our whole system, so this isn't a big deal. However, libfreenect2 doesn't have skeleton tracker software, which is important for something experimental I'm doing. Fuck. On another lab machine someone else got tricked into installing Windows 10 because they didn't disable updates (that should never be a good thing, btw). So I download the SDK. Several GBs later, I am told I need to download a Microsoft IDE. Several more GBs later, I get the demos to run (great), but evidently the registry is fucked because I can't get Matlab to recognize the compilers.

If Microsoft was any other company, their SDK would have worked across systems, it wouldn't have had arbitrary lockouts and dependencies, I would have been able to use ~20Mb of tools for development, and the system integration wouldn't have been completely opaque as is the fucking registry.

Fuck Windows. Even the UI pisses me off, and there is nothing that can be done because Windows conflates OS with UI, which stupid people swallow hook line and sinker. Good, stable OSs aren't churned out.

I think the point was more something like Linux is famous for certain tasks but windows can do them too. Of course this is true, as a Turing complete operating system can do anything.

Windows is full of obscure, undocumented functions in the API and that you have to either statically compile your program or ship your specific snowflake version of the DLL file. There are also places where Microsoft has provided their own in-house replacement to standard functionality in programming languages like C++, which hurts portability. A partial implementation of POSIX which causes unexpected bumps also doesn't help.

Yes. About 10 different ones.
"muh shortcuts" is not a good argument.
It's like saying "oh, I don't like the way the toolbars are set up, so it sucks"
Please grow up.

Use GCC.
I don't see the issue here.
I never used Visual C++, only C++ /w MinGW and I never had any real problems.

Windows is just kind of terrible though. The underlying system is a horrible layercake of legacy bullshit and bad decisions. The surface system is a confusing mess of conflicting UI choices. Then there's the driving philosophy - what suits Microsoft, advertising in the OS, locked-down exclusive frameworks that kill off competition and innovation by momentum. But it's mostly the end user experience, Windows does some intrusive or stupid thing every time I have to use it that just annoys me. My linux setups are exactly how I like to use them - no nags, no more or less on my system than what I like.

Also, Microsoft can burn in hell for flooding my Sup Forums for so many years with fucking shills. Win Mo, Windows Phone, Windows 8, Windows 10, Zune, Xbone. They've shilled it all around here, and it was all worthless garbage.

what else would one install?

>"muh shortcuts" is not a good argument.
>It's like saying "oh, I don't like the way the toolbars are set up, so it sucks"

When there's alternatives out there that provide the same environment *with* said customisability then, yes, that is a definite shortcoming.

Ultimately it comes down to preferences, but I find working on Windows and working with IDEs immensely stifling because of the lack of keybinds, the ability to change them, actual manpages instead of some crappy HTML documentation, the lack of the shell to easily automate a repetitive task with the many excellent tools that *nix environments provide etc.

>my Sup Forums
gimmie a kiss mootykins
if you're not mooty, fuck off and die.

What is even the point of this thread?

>I know a lot of people who install Linux; Ubuntu, Kali, Mint etc. It does not make them any better at IT or Technology, i just dont get it!

>It does not make them any better at IT or Technology

Ok?

>Look at my PC, I do a lot of pen testing, exploitation, coding and networking and this is the only machine i need to use apart from my PI

Good for you.

>People need to start realising they are not any smarter buy buying overpriced processors and installing other OS'

What does installing Linux have to do with buying "overpriced" processors?

Operating systems are just tools, use the best tool for the job.

have you tried to type with a mouse in your hand?

Don't fucking lecture me about established chan lexicon if you don't know shit about it yourself you worthless newfag.

> I find working on Windows and working with IDEs immensely stifling because of the lack of keybinds, the ability to change them
So you never worked with any good IDEs then, good to know.
Code::Blocks can rebind, so can the biggest IDE for Windows - Visual Studio.
If you used some shady shit it's only your fault.

>actual manpages instead of crappy HTML documentation
Yes, because looking at documentation in your terminal is amazing.

>the lack of the shell to easily automate a repetitive task
What is:
cmd
PowerShell
bash
CMake

All of those tools are available on Windows.

I kinda feel like you didn't do your homework.

No, because I don't hate myself.
What is the point in intensly crippling your wpm just so you can pretend you're being productive and doing two things at the same time?

oh geez a stranger on the internet is mean to me
how will i ever deal with this
reddit plz go

Windows shell might as well be called ipconfig because that's all it's fucking useful for.

>cmd

Hahahahahhahahahahahha

>PowerShell

You mean that one shell which often passes raw binary data? Yeah, no.

>bash
>CMake

Oh, you mean those two tools that are widely available on *nix?

>Code::Blocks can rebind, so can the biggest IDE for Windows - Visual Studio.

Yet you still need the mouse for multiple tasks that vim and emacs easily handles using the keyboard only.

>No, because I don't hate myself.

Right, well, there you just proved my point earlier. That's exactly what constantly having to shift the hand to the mouse on Windows is. It's tedious and it's a pain, and even if the IDE has keybinds that can be rebinded for ~60% of its functionality, that's still 40% that lack keybinds, and then there's the Windows window manager which has so few keybinds it's shameful, and you can't rebind them unless you resort to shitty hacks. Let's not forget also that if you want virtual desktops you have to go for VirtuaWin which is slow and shit, or Windows 10 which collects far too much data for me to be comfortable with it.

Glorious xmonad tile manager master race reporting.

Linux saved my c. 2006 Acer 5051 and still makes it a viable note taking machine.

>I think the point was more something like Linux is famous for certain tasks but windows can do them too. Of course this is true, as a Turing complete operating system can do anything.

this is what i made the thread for, i dont understand what makes Linux so special

nice

>he actually calls programming "coding"

This is an 18+ website friend.

Wtf is this.
>i do all my stuff manually
>uses .net reflector
Im done with the people here.

at least someone understands me :)

Linux isn't owned by a company data mining me and trying to sell me shit. That's reason enough.

im gonna level with Sup Forums
i am indeed 13, so thats why i may not have the amount of knowledge as you guys, sorry phaha

that it isn't windows

kek

>You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

lolol