Best programming language to learn as a beginner? Pic unrelated

Best programming language to learn as a beginner? Pic unrelated

Visual Basic.

Depends on your background knowledge. If you know jack shit about computer architecture, Python. If you know a little, Java. If you know quite a bit C/C++

bash scripting

I'd suggest the gym first

Haskell

Start with HTML/CSS. Extremely easy. The point of them is to get a feel for it and to see if you enjoy doing it and want to move further. It's not programming, but it serves a purpose.

JavaScript is what you'll want to learn. Learn it. Now you've got a feeling for programming. At this point, you'll have to know which direction you want to go in because you can cut it off here and not go any deeper and stay in the realm of /webdev/ with learning FTP, Web hosting, terminal usage, SSH basics, and very simple networking. Might want to even get into a bit of the back end of /webdev/. JavaScript has become good for back end too, not just front end these days. Get into PHP, SQL, etc. if you like back end. If you liked the front end more then you're pretty much done.

However, if you like programming and want to do "real" programming as the pretentious cucks call it. You HAVE to start with Python. Python is the next logical step from JavaScript if you want to dive deeper into programming. It's very easy, but it's not JavaScript easy. You'll have to actually do something. You MUST learn Python to get the general feeling for things.

After this, it's up to you. No one can decide for you. You must know what you want to do by now.

>HTML/CSS -> JavaScript -> Python

You MUST learn those. MUST. As in you MUST. As in do it. This is the easiest programming you can do. They shall reveal the true path of enlightenment for you. I do mean learn, by the way, not just dabble in them. Learn them. From here, pick where you want you programming adventures to go and what you want to do in your 'career'.

emacs lisp

documentation is great

kek

This is great if you want to be a webdev all your life, but allow me to give you another route for if you're one of those kids looking to make games.

Start with Lua. Like Javascript, it's very easy to learn, and is prime front-end, but it cleans it's shit up way more. After that, you can hop onto the C++ train if you feel more tempted to learn a stronger, front and back end language. Get some Java knowledge for mobile game development, and if big budget is your goal, then you can always experiment with some C.

python/perl/ruby

>pick one

>python probably most flexible for data analysis and other tasks that could get you hired

people used to learn C first

IMPORTANT: If you start with plain C and don't get flustered and give up early, then you will build very good programming habits which you will carry on to the next (easier) language you learn.

I'd then suggest learning an object-oriented language like C# (my favorite) or Java.

Python might also be a good choice for your 1st language (AFTER C), as it is extremely versatile and slowly increasing in popularity (see: good to have on résumé).

>Best programming language to learn as a beginner? Pic unrelated
C. You will not just learn to program but also how to use Unix or GNU tools and learn how linking and stuff works. I wouldn't suggest learning to program on windows because most languages require an IDE or Cygwin on windows. One's meant for big software development for people that already know programming and the other is a laggy piece of crap.

Should I just run a virtual machine with Linux to do programming in? If so what specific version is the best for beginner programmers?

php

>Should I just run a virtual machine with Linux to do programming in?
You certainly can.
>What specific [distribution] is the best for beginner programmers?
Ubuntu's most recent stable release is what you want. Ubuntu eases you into Linux softly but still has all of the standard capabilities

Thank you! Is there any resources you recommend for getting started in C? Or any other resources in general for someone getting started?

There's absolutely no reason to ever run linux if you wanna start learning programming.

Get Code::Blocks /w MinGW.
It'll run on windows and you'll learn the language instead of learning things you will not use for a while.
You can use it both with C and C++.

On that note, I'd personally suggest C++ instead of C, as you can do everything you can in C, often easier, and way more.

what amp is that in the background?

OOP lol

Yes i do have windows 10, i might use linux in a virtual machine. My cpu is beefy so linux will run snappy

you're not forced to ever use it, cuntnugget.