/obc/ One Board Computer Discussion

Do you have or want a one board computer, such as a Raspberry, Orange, Banana Pi or CHIP, etc? Have one? Would you recommend it, what do you do with it?

Other urls found in this thread:

fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers
forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/474-quick-review-of-banana-pi-m3/
davidhunt.ie/raspberry-pi-in-a-dslr-camera/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have an Odroid and have never wanted any of the meme SoC on that list.

Ochinchi ga daisuki nanda yo

I impulse-bought a raspberry Pi zero.

I thought I had an idea for what I could use it for. It turned out to be far too weak to be able to do it, and I haven't really used it since. Would not recommend.

Is this what are are capable of?

Weak.

a compute stick even smaller and runs windows 10

Cherry trail has shitty Linux support.
Windows isn't a perk.

Got an rpi 3. Use it to record inside and outside temperatures and graph them live on the web :&)

If you think that was bait, you're sorely mistaken. I seriously regret buying it. It was $5, plus a mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter, plus shipping. Ended up being like $13-$14. Total waste of money. Might have been more useful if it had even ethernet, but it doesn't. I'll probably look into selling it on eBay or something just to try to get something back but it probably isn't worth it. Maybe I'll see if it can do Perk videos or something, I don't know.

Does anyone here have the RPi3? I want one but I have some questions.

How is the built in wifi speed/range?
Does the wifi go through USB like the ethernet port?
How much power does it use at idle, with wifi enabled and nothing connected?

Has anyone use a Banana/Raspberry as a server before? I plan on getting one and using it for an FTP server

ODROID-C2 is the current performance king in sub-$50 SBC segment.

I'm waiting for ODROID-C3 with USB 3.0 ports.

what is this `one board' silliness?
i've only heard `single board', which sounds better
`system on chip' is also acceptable but maybe technically different

i have a beaglebone black as one of the only ones of these that respects your freedom
the most anyway
still not perfect, but can be run entirely with free software
fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers

All I have is a Tessel 1 that I got for free a few years back. Haven't thought of a single use for it.

I've got a Creator Ci20, can definitely recommend. Has anyone checked out the Ci40? Not sure if SMT is worth half the clockspeed, but all that I/O though

Does it have 64 bit UEFI?

>the only ones of these that respects your freedom
With a PowerVR GPU which is 100% worthless.

Forgot pic

Considering getting an SBC for a cheap home web server. Not sure which one, but perhaps an RPI3? Although I've heard Raspbian doesn't have 64 bit builds yet, and I'm not sure about the support of other distros for it.

>tfw have Ci20
>tfw it's nice but too expensive for the performance

Neat, I'm not the only one here. I thought it was worth it just for the architecture. I don't have any lifting to do with it, I'm just going to learn MIPS ASM with it

hello, i have an rpi3 and since i dont really know shit it's sitting idle at the moment. Its bluetooth uses a different channel afaik and when only wifi is on it can work with 0.70Amph with 5V. I also dont know how much exactly it consumes but when it's on this much power pretty much nothing else can work ie plugging something to usb

I got an orange pi pc and madr it into a tv box with emulators. I don't really regret my decision but there's no wifi adapter built into that model so no the best for a tv box. Spent around $25 for orange pi and 32gb sd card. Would recommend someone getting odriod though bc of bettter specs for price

You need a power supply that an deliver 2A or higher if you want to use the USB ports on RPi3.

are standard smartphone chargers enough for rpi3?

I got a RPI2 Model B for free recently. I don't really have any idea what to do with it. I wanted to put Android on it for shits and giggles, but there's only a bunch of shitty unofficial ports with barely functioning hardware acceleration, and most ports these days are for the RPI3 anyway.

It'll say how many amps it delivers, just check the ones you've got.

Recent smartphone chargers should be able to deliver at least 5V 2A, but check the markings on the charger.

Orange Pi PC owner here. Have it running non stop as a small seedbox with a few auto dl scripts/services like CouchPotato and Sickbeard. My only problem so far is the space I have on there (I have a 64gb Shark meme SD in there) as external drives aren't great with it.

What are the differences between Orange and Banana Pi?

While I have never used a Banana Pi, I have set up Raspberry Pi FTP servers and while the setup in simple and the power of the pi can handle it the only true bottle neck would come in the form of bandwidth between the physical interfaces one the pi and the speed that you would desire.

Orange Pis are about half the price of Bananas. The Banana M3 is by far the most powerful of all these boards but it's also around $70 while the Orange Pis deliver about the same stats as the Rasp Pi 3 but are only $15 for the PC. The most crucial this tho is the Bananas have SATA drive connectors which is really good for larger file storage as the Orange Pis suffer fromthe same problem as the Rasp Pis of sharing the USB bus input with the LAN connection.

Anyone using Samsung Artik 10?

Can't be certain of exact specs needed but would like to get a hold of one to try and make a DSLR with it or at least some sort of camera.

Seems to have the right specs for that from light research but won't know until I try and can't get a hold of one yet due to availability (not in the US).

Ore wa ochinchin ga daisuki nandayo

Make a DSLR? I've seen controllers made out of Arduinos etc but I don't think it's possible to make your own DSLR.

What the fuck do i do with this?

Can you connect a external HDD to a raspberry pi? Want to know because I want to run a basic home server.

>The Banana M3
It's shit.
forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/474-quick-review-of-banana-pi-m3/

Doesn't Digikey sell them?

For this device it is apparently good at image processing so I was thinking about that and then I thought may be I could make a camera or better, a DSLR with it.

No sure of the exact specs needed to make a DSLR and was hoping I could at least make one as good as an early gen DSLR if possible.

I kind of know many of the others such as a normal RaspberryPi won't work. I had not seen many builds for those so it interests me to make one.

Could end up making a compact system camera if that works out being simpler. Would be interested in using the lens mount for an existing lens rather than make a new one and modify the mount of a lens (too complicated and mostly interested in focusing on the body).

Get one that doesn't draw power from the same port

I have a few different boards, My favorite by far is the Odroid-C2. I might check out their XU4 model soon.

Yes. You can do everything that you do on Linux. Torrent server, retro game machine, media server (with smartphone or IR remote).

Yeah you can, there's USB ports on them. However the USB and ethernet share their input/output through the one controller chip so it will bottleneck the speeds. It's fine for transferring smaller files but don't expect to be able to stream 25gb movie rips from the device.

Not in the US unfortunately and would like to know more before getting one taking into account of waiting on one coming in from overseas.

Digikey ships internationally.

What are you going to do for a sensor? That's the main thing that you're missing. When these devices say they're good for "image processing" it means displaying 3D graphics and video, not the processing necessary for image capture.

Unless you're talking about something like this: davidhunt.ie/raspberry-pi-in-a-dslr-camera/
Then that's just a controller, any single board device can do that.

>What are you going to do for a sensor?

Have a webcam which I plan to use (circuitry intact, main cable not staying seated in plastic body shell for cam) and hopefully connect to the Artik 10 directly with wires via USB connections intended for the USB cable for the webcam.

>When these devices say they're good for "image processing" it means displaying 3D graphics and video, not the processing necessary for image capture.

That is my concern. Won't know until I try.

Hoping to make a camera at least rather than a controller for a camera.

>window 10
Why even waste bandwidth to post this?