Is PHP as bad as people say?

Is PHP as bad as people say?
Should I stay away from it?

Other urls found in this thread:

news.php.net/php.internals/70691
phpsadness.com/sad/30
stackoverflow.com/questions/80646/how-do-the-php-equality-double-equals-and-identity-triple-equals-comp
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yeah

yes

news.php.net/php.internals/70691

If you can.
PHP is like pic related.

What should one do if they want to just host a normal website with a database back end and a bit of CMS? Node JS seems very unreliable and looks like it goes on one thread

God fucking dammit why did this become popular

Why are web devs so fucking stupid

Yes, it's bad but when you are out of money php can be a lifesaver.

Yes, php runs 80% of the interwebz, so there is plentiful work, especially if you prefer smaller companies

Because it's versatile and easy to use?

Node being single threaded is actually part of what makes it reliable. The idea is that your node program will not hold state (or will pull all state from a memory store or a db) so you can run your node program across many instances to scale better.

Honestly if you want to make web apps and have fun learn rails or node. Go is also an option but it's not as easy.

Just use Django or Flask and deploy with nginx and uwsgi. Python is actually used outside of web development so it has access to a ton of high quality libraries that Ruby and PHP don't.

No. PHP just works and a lot of web development jobs rely on it. PHP is piss-easy to learn so you don't really have a reason not to learn it. If you know HTML and any C-like language, you're already a senior PHP developer.

If you get offered a $150k job that uses PHP do you stay away from it?

This.

PHP as a language is like rusty old tractor from the sixties that starts up every time and that just won't fucking die no matter how badly you abuse it. It's loud, it's smelly, it's kind of uncomfortable, but dammit it will plow fields 24/7 'till kingdom come.

There's super sweet shiny stuff for Ruby and Python.
C# is what the rich dudes use.
But PHP is dead simple with TONS of documentation.

If you're looking for a PHP framework I recommend Laravel because it's modern and sports a good active record database ORM with full support for migrations.

Stay away from Code Igniter. It's simple, but it gives you absolutely no help for dealing with a database-- which totally defeats the point of using a scripting language for a site. If you're not going to talk to a DB then why not use a fucking static site?

$150k for PHP?!?! HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHERE?! LINK ME NOW!!

Notice how that 1994 and things have moved on since then.

PHP 7 is beating the shit out of Python and Ruby for performance.

let's look at why you learn a language, operating system, utility, etc.

> for a project
> for a job

So let's go for the logical conclusion

> what project are you working on
> what job are you after

So, let's assume you opt for either:

> will this language accomplish this task?

> yes

A good language

> no

An ineffective language.

If this is seriously what you needed, you've gotta get some experience to go from tech support to information scientist.

In other words, be a geek!

It's worse than people say. Especially since there are a dozen other alternatives that require marginally more effort to get up and running on a server.

>Is PHP as bad as people say?
Of course not. It's worse.

>Should I stay away from it?
Of course not. If you don't learn PHP, how will you know how bad it is?

gives

0e462097431906509019562988736854 0e830400451993494058024219903391 WTF

because a string that begins with "0" is coerced to 0 and evaluated to false.

no, that's 0e.
'e' means an exponent, so PHP is basically calculating
>0^462097431906509019562988736854 = 0
>0^830400451993494058024219903391 = 0
>0 == 0
>true
use === for type safe comparison.

Can anyone recommend an interpreted (not compiled) language with a C-like syntax and no OOP (at least forced)? Also, libraries for webdev, ncurses, http requests and crypto.

Although PHP sucks, it has all these features.

phpsadness.com/sad/30

stackoverflow.com/questions/80646/how-do-the-php-equality-double-equals-and-identity-triple-equals-comp

Fuck off, pajeet.

the thing you want is Python.
sorry.

WAIT A MINUTE... You're telling me if I compare two strings, it will automatically evaluate the content of these strings for arithmetic?

Yes, if you don't use type safe compare "===". It's the same thing as javascript

>python syntax
>OOP
>GIL
>2 vs 3 mess
>a million HTTP libraries, each one of them sucks
No, I don't want it.

>what is requests

Basically this, web devs were too dumb to learn a serious language.

Nowadays for easy languages for web backend do ruby or python

>no wrappers
>can't wrap to socksipy or cookiejar
>can't wrap to whatever the fuck you want to do