Is it possible to make tablets productive machines...

Is it possible to make tablets productive machines? Like Google is trying to push their blend of ChromeOS/Android and Apple is trying to push iOS on the ipad pro.

What is keeping it from working?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SjXaoTk58vA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I thought the Pixel C was great until the wireless shit out and I had to return it.

To follow up to this tablets keep getting more and more powerful CPUs but I just don't see what for. Like Apple advertises how super powerful their A9X chip is and how much you can do with it but there's like no fucking programs that use even 30% of it and yet they are coming out with an even stronger CPU. What's the point?

>Like Apple advertises how super powerful their A9X chip is

Marketing to convince the masses that their new model is worth it. It's kind of sad that it actually works.

>What's the point?
140ms app launch instead of 200ms app launch.
4 more fps while scrolling in a browser.

>140ms app launch instead of 200ms app launch

Then they add 60ms to the animation :^)

Or in iOS's case they add a 140ms animation to hide the load time.

To eventually reach the point where they can rival x64 processors and developers have no reason not to port their application. For all the shit on the Google play and app stores, hardly any of it is a good replacement for whatever you have on your computer already. The rest is just varying web services wrapped into applications (YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, etc).

Yeah I got that disappointing feeling too when I saw the iPad pro. All this power and no worthwhile shit to run. Besides most people are still stuck in the desktop/laptop and smartphone setup. Tablets try to do the best at both and end up failing horribly. More so the larger they get and sadly when they are small enough but not powerful to do what you want.

The pro seems interesting but it's like:
>Tablet itself is expensive
>Keyboard is expensive
>Pencil is expensive

Just to use the thing requires investing $500+$100+$150 and at that point you can either get a powerful laptop or a super powerful desktop. It's like the surface pro again where the default surface was expensive and doesn't even include the keyboard

Surface already works. IBM just replaced a bunch of Macbooks with them.

>What is keeping it from working?

There are probably a dozen reasons but I think a big one is screen real-estate. There have been studies showing more space generally = more productivity.

Keyboard and mouse is awesome in terms of speed & productivity & has been perfected over decades of work by very smart people. Hard to match, nevermind beat.

Processor speed of course keeps the tablet from being really general.

A handful of tablets in 1 company is really niche.

They're extremely productive/useful in specific applications, but then it others they're clunky and basically useless. I think the hardware is fine, we just need to find out where they work, where they dont, and develop better software for them with that in mind.

like, they work good in retail environments, some industrial applications (ie, reading drafts/blueprints on jobsites or something where a phone is too small and a laptop isnt portable enough), some medical applications, they're good e-readers, I could see them being useful in restaurants, etc.

We just need to continue to work with their strengths rather than try to get them to do everything.

Bunch of educational institutions are rolling out Surfaces to teachers. Does that count?

See the thing I don't like about the surface is that it's just so crazy priced. For the cost of the surface you can get a much more powerful laptop that's equally as portable. The only real thing it has going for it is the digitizer and M$ 100% knows that which is why they shill it so hard in all their advertising

They are probably still doing the same with iPads. I wouldn't say it's a replacement for laptops.

I'm old enough to remember laptops replacing desktops & how that works. Used to post this and troll the fuck out of Sup Forums. I'm sure you can make a similar chart for SSD vs HDD. I really don't think tablets are doing the same thing.

Well it is literally one of a kind. Every other alternative is always shittier. They deserve to ask a high price - until someone comes out with something comparable.

Tablets have the hardware, there are only so many things that require any serious GPU/CPU power (The most popular is vidya gaymes but rendering or some sort of scientific application like protein folding is another).

But it's just the software there simply isn't the same ease of use as there is on a laptop/desktop. It's not just the not have M$ office but it's the fact that I have 30 tabs open shitposting in each one, then I can quickly change over and play like 10 minutes of hearthstone then watch twitch and then play overwatch while have twitch on while shitposting. On a tablet I can only do one thing at a time which sucks when the thing can easily handle more but the OS won't allow it to do so

Doing the same thing in a smaller scale. Laptops are more versatile, they replaced desktops in situations where they really shouldn't have been using a desktop in the first place. Tablets are doing the same but on a smaller scale except that they are not that different from laptops.

What kind of program/quality of life change do tablets need to make them worthwhile?

I personally like Windows/OSX where there is no 'homescreen' and it's just your desktop. So you can have any variety of stuff on it and just move in and out of stuff at will rather than go through pages if that makes sense

There are already worthwhile for the tasks they are designed for.

how can 3000 people own a laptop when where are only 700 people on the erth?

That is for incoming freshmen at UVA

Just put proper OS in it and it works

Just nuke the entire university already. It's too far gone.

Touchosc on a tablet has replaced 2-3 MIDI controllers for me for VJing.
YMMV, totally depends on what you're trying to do.

Too late. It's been like that all over the country for like 10 years. Too bad Microsoft has business completely locked up.

>What is keeping it from working?
Inertia from decades of the desktop computer paradigm.

Many have convinced themselves that's the only way to get "real" work done, or at least too used to how they do things on the desktop to adjust
Some developers' approach to mobile development is shoehorning their desktop application into a touch interface rather than rethinking or refocusing it.
Fallacy of approaching it as a 100% replacement for the desktop computer. Then brushing it off when they're surprised it isn't.

1. Keyboard
2. CLI interface

Would be great if they had a keyboard.

Literally the only reason is text input. It is and always will be required for anything "serious". Touchscreen keyboards are infinitely shitty. Speech to text isn't good enough.

Plug a keyboard into a tablet and you have to ask yourself why the fuck you aren't using a laptop.

Remove the fucking trip already pissphone.

No please I need that for my filters.

Recent updates fixed mine. Chuck in Termux and a keyboard with Vim keys and you're golden. Posted from mine.

I just ordered a 2-in-1 laptop with touchscreen and a proper OS + keyboard. Let's hope it was a sane decision

I hate that faggot. He isn't that bad but still, who still namefags and trips on Sup Forums?!

youtube.com/watch?v=SjXaoTk58vA

Follow up: the DHCP client is crazy unoptimized. Setting a static IP solves the throughput problem.

For most uses yeah that's true. But I recently built a rig with a *desktop* i7 & ultrawide screen. I keep throwing a few days of simulations at it & it doesn't care.

That outfit is fucking dumb

No, for about the same price, or much cheaper, you can get a tiny chromebook, put a distro on it, and be 10x more productive

She's fucking hot.