IOS -> android

Long story short, I just switched from an iPhone 6 to a Samsung Galaxy S7 earlier today. It's sitting on my desk right now, importing my texts. I've never used an Android phone and figured Sup Forums would be the best place to ask. Where the hell do I start? Why do I have three different music players? To root or not to root? Pls send help.

Other urls found in this thread:

bits-please.blogspot.ca/2016/06/extracting-qualcomms-keymaster-keys.html?m=1
forum.xda-developers.com/att-galaxy-s7/how-to/root-s7-att-g930a-g935a-t3410538
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Android is actually better than iOS.

I'm not here to argue iOS vs. Android, I'm just wondering what the first things I should do on an Android device are. I've owned nothing but iPhones due to having an iPod Touch way back in middle school so I'm completely lost.

>samsung
good luck with that

Start with a microSD card. Drag and drop your music onto there. Default music app is fine.

I'm sure your phone came with a bunch of AT&T or T-Mobile or some shit company bloatware on it that you don't need. Navigate to your settings and application manager and disable all that crap.

It's a phone so it's basically a text, twitter, and music machine. Not much more to really do on it unless you care about emulating old games. In that case MyBoy, MegaN64, etc. (you can download the .apk files for the premium versions off a non-shady site/torrent if you don't want ads and shit without paying). Of course there's also Pokemon Go...

No IR Blaster on the s7 so no remote apps, sorry mate.

You can root I guess but that comes with a shitload of headaches, I wouldn't bother.

microSD card lowers your battery life don't use one.

I've never dealt with major issues and I'm still on the s5...

Get "nova launcher". Long press on the homescreen to edit it. Move icons around by long pressing. Add new icons to your homescreen by opening the app drawer and long pressing and dragging them onto your home screen.

Go to display settings and change it to smaller/condensed. It looks much better.

Good luck.

I also got an s7 a few days ago!

Checked, since you have a Samsung with shitty TouchWiz I'd root. Go on the xda developers forum and make sure you know what you're doing first. Just use the Google Play Music, PowerAmp, or Phonograph for music.

Trips lower your intergender don't use one.

I've got a 32 GB Samsung Pro+ MicroSD on its way from Amazon, so I'm doing something right.

Way too much fucking Sprint bloatware. Kinda annoying that I could only disable/turn off and not uninstall, but whatever.

I tell myself I'd use all the old emulators but I never do, so I'll probably skip it. #TeamValor, tho.

Damn, I just kinda assumed it had one. Sucks but nbd.

I think I'll just go with a custom launcher and all that instead, I've been looking random stuff up and it doesn't look like I'll need rooting for anything other than actually uninstalling those damn bloatware apps and that GPS hack for Pokemon Go.

Thanks a lot.

I was gonna decide between Apex and Nova. I'm guessing you prefer Nova? Didn't know about the condensed thing, will get to it now, thanks.

*Intelligence
Autocorrect is retarded.

Nova Prime is the best home launcher, I'd wait for it to go on sale for a dollar though since it usually does.

see pic related

oh btw, one more thing you can do, torrent music straight to the phone, then move it onto the microSD card. Welcome to Android my friend

Read the sticky/wiki faggot.

Why buy something you're not familiar with? Could you not have played with a friend's before buying?

Huh, that's cool. I've never really considered torrenting on my phone, but interesting option. Recently I've just been using Spotify just for the ease of finding/adding new music but I may switch back to downloading it all myself.

I've already made the switch, yo.

Well, since I switched from iOS to Android, I may as well take advantage of being able to download and install .apk's. Though if I do end up liking it I'll probably buy it legit to support 'em.

not OP but this is good advice. I was considering buying a dildo but I'll try out my friend's first.

>letting someone else touch your phone
>ever
That's why they have display models at carrier stores, but it's better to buy them on GSM and unlocked anyways.

Well. In hindsight, that would've been a brilliant idea. Buuuuut. Someone was offering to buy my iPhone 6 128 GB for 600, so I decided, fuck it, why not, and just hopped onto the Android train.

I would've bought an unlocked one but that sweet, sweet 24-month payment plan.

>contract
Poorfag

Did you need the money that badly?

Samsung is absolutely dogshit. I really enjoy Android, but you'll be back to your inormie soon enough because Samsung sucks that hard.

No, but that guy wasn't gonna wait around forever. Didn't feel like having to search for some other person to sell my old phone to.

I could've afforded to buy it out all at once, but I'd rather have that in case of emergencies now.

>Why do I have three different music players
Probably some Samsung bloat added on top of Android.

>To root or not to root
If you can actually find a way to root the Samsung S7, go do so. In fact, install Cyanogenmod, so you don't have to deal with Touchjizz.

What exactly is TouchWiz? Is it the reason that I can't get uninstall all of Samsung's bloatware and shit? As someone who's never really had a "pure" Android experience, I have nothing to compare it to.

Go to xda-developers.com and read the fuck up you noon.

Touchjizz is the bullshit UI bloat Samsung adds to their OS. You're not using the real Android when you use a Samsung phone.

Well, from what I've read on that website, I'm basically fucked in terms of rooting since it doesn't look like I even can root an S7.

Touchjizz it is for me I guess.

Don't listen to all the fags who will tell you that installing a custom launcher will remove "Touchwiz".

Yes, the stock launcher on samsung is indeed called "TouchWiz", but almost every system app is different from the ones on stock (AOSP) Android. Look at the camera, look at the settings menu, look at the gallery, the messaging app, the phone app and compare them with a phone running stock - everything looks way different.

But to be honest, TouchWiz does bring some extra functionality that is lacking in the stock OS. I don't have a samsung device now (I have a Sony), but I've heard that touchwiz has gotten lighter and more tolerable.

What are the three music apps, by the way? One's definitely the Samsung one, the other Play music, but the third?

bits-please.blogspot.ca/2016/06/extracting-qualcomms-keymaster-keys.html?m=1
The iPhone is actually far more secure

Oh damn, yeah I looked them up and they're definitely different. I hate Samsung's Email and Internet apps the most, but honestly, I feel like their Camera app beats stock. Then again, I haven't really gotten a chance to use either yet, so. We'll see.

For some reason, it also comes with Amazon Music.

Trips also cause low T.

Apple shill detection complete

>root phone
>partition sd card
>install linux deploy, connect bot and vnc viewer from app store
>use linux deploy to install your linux distro of choice onto an empty sd card partition
>connect to linux chroot using ssh or vnc
>???
>enjoy gnu+linux box in your pocket

>namefag
Nope. Nexus devices are superior. I had a Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant but everything else after that was shit.

Byebye to your warranty if you root

Shut up

>being clumsy enough to need a warranty
kek. Also, pretty sure you can't root a phone on contract anyways.

There are other things than screen which can be broken.

Like the back? If you need a warranty, why would you buy a phone that has a glass front and back?

Op, you still here?

It hasn't gotten lighter, phones have just become so powerful they can handle it better.

Yeah, sorry. Going through and downloading all the shit I used to have on my phone and setting it all up atm. I just kinda glanced at the new posts and I'm seeing shit like "Apple shill detection complete" and some guy telling me to put Linux on my phone lol.

>Samsung owns Android and is real Android
this is why Apple fags fail, get a real Android that isn't shit like a Google Nexus or a OnePlus, Samsung design and their tweaks ruin the perfect, pure Android. Samsung phones not only physically look bad but they also look awful since Samsung likes to shit on Android with their shit modifications, don't buy a shitty Samsung or iPhone, buy a OnePlus or Nexus.

If you can use linux as a power-user (so, a neckbeard. not a person with ubuntu) it's actually pretty handy to have a real GNU/Linux on your phone alongside android because android just can't do certain things.

Sadly, or maybe fortunately who knows, I'm no Linux power-user. In case a bit of background might help, I'm running Windows 10 on my old as hell laptop-turned-desktop and on my Surface Pro 3 that I use for college work 'n shit. So if that doesn't scream "casual", I dunno what will. Even if I was a power-user though, as far as I can tell, there's no way for me to root this thing anyway atm.

>overpriced
not really, considering it can outperform most other smartphones

>no mSD slot
not a problem if you have 128/64GB onboard storage

>can't torrent
but you can with jailbreak

>shit res screen
not really.

>shit camera
great software for it, nothing can compare

>shit battery life
amazing stand-by and it's not really bad.

>shit mobile os
subjective

>no native file browser
android didn't have one and I still think it doesn't

>can't use phone as a flash drive
>have to use lagtunes
how is that an issue
you can access the filesystem via tweaks or iFunbox

>can't share files other than photos/videos over wifi
not really with jailbreak

>can't share jack shit over bt
ye I think this is about the only correct one

>no back button
in-software back buttons

>shit multi-tasking
you mean it's on par with android then

>less apps
bullshit

>encryption is full of backdoors
bullshit yet again.

Just do what til normally do. You know. Call, text, browse.

And Android is a bit silly with options. Different browsers, music players etc. That's the only downside. But it's a way better experience anyway.

I myself Went from iPhone6 to s7 edge.

You can get rid of the bloatware without root using package disabler pro

download antivirus

>MegaN64
OP dont get mega get munpen. its the best, free as in freedom, and has no cost but an optional donate. its ad free and works well too.

myboy gba emulators free version is quite good with no ads and the paid is savestates, faster speedups, and host a connectcable thing.

John emulators are the best on the market.

Dude... you can root your s7 did you even bother to look? forum.xda-developers.com/att-galaxy-s7/how-to/root-s7-att-g930a-g935a-t3410538

>Inb4 it's just for att
Its not it for all carriers I'm rooted right now

Nope I'm rooted RIGHT NOW and my warranty is still good

This is probably really stupid but the thing I’m hating the most right now is the fact that I keep hitting the stupid back and uh, whatever this other button is with that big meaty part of my thumbs as I type. Hopefully a case will help with this cuz I hate naked phones anyway.

How fat are you that you accidently hit the soft keys as you type? (The other one's the menu/recent apps button)

It’s not so much my fat fingers so much as the way I hold this thing. My index finger goes up the side of the phone and my thumbs just... are in the perfect position to hit those buttons anytime I each over the screen. First world problems.

Ok somehow I didn’t notice how late it is so this is OP signing off. Whoever recommended that Nova launcher thing, thanks! I’ve been messing around with it and it’s pretty nice. Still not sure if I should root or not. I might just for Pokémon go and flux, well see. Thanks Sup Forums!

Different user here, So what are some good apps? I just kicked up an android as well. Using Mimi right now, getting astro for files.

TouchWiz isn't even that bad. It's just a pathetic Sup Forums meme.

>And Android is a bit silly with options. Different browsers, music players etc. That's the only downside. But it's a way better experience anyway.
How is this a downside?

>ipod touch
>way back
>middleschool
ugh i fucking hate millenials.

install gentoo

Not him, and it's been years since I've used an iPhone (the 4s was my last one), so this could've changed, but when it came to music the default iOS music player has the best UI I've seen so far on phones. Also I was annoyed by the way Apple split podcasts into its own app but it was a better app than anything on Android for podcasts.

Don't get me wrong, I never want to go back. Hell, half my music library is .flac now, and last I checked (again, 4s) iOS didn't support .flac files.

just know that when your android inevitably slows down it's because you chose the OS that runs everything through a retarded middleman (the Java Virtual Machine) instead of running it on bare metal using the BSD Jail System, and because most of your code was pajeeted' together, instead of crafted by veterans

Reminder

Not OP

If you flash a stock rom with Odin onto the S7, it won't trigger the Knox counter.

Do you have a rooted phone then?

Sorry, I am a noob.

What do they mean by stock rom? Stock Android rom?

If so, do you lose camera quality and other features, because you replaced the Samsung software that runs deep into the drivers of the hardware?

I just want root, and delete all useless stuff, and block the apps spying on me, but still running it.

>If you flash a stock rom with Odin onto the S7, it won't trigger the Knox counter.
As long as you don't touch the recovery, knox should not trip.
>What do they mean by stock rom? Stock Android rom?
Stock means factory ROM, so it is whatever is officially supported by the manufacturer. Pure android is what you are looking for but likely it will trip the KNOX counter and lose FP/Android PAY/Samsung PAY features.
>I just want root, and delete all useless stuff, and block the apps spying on me, but still running it.
XDA has a supposed root that does not trip the knox but it looks shady as fuck causing the phone to significantly lag and it is specific to exynos CPUs. If you have the snapdragon CPU, there is root but it trips the knox.

K

>defending this retarded meme

Dumbest shit I've heard of

Consumer insecurity

>consumer insecurity
Fact. Pure Android is superior than any skin a manufacturer will on their phone.

Hey guys random question phone/app question. So my work got me a S7 edge with unlimited everything, BUT I cannot use the phone tethering because verizon blocks it unless you pay which my company doesn't want to do. Is there an app I can get on the Google play store, or some other app downloader that lets me do tethering? I have looked already but haven't found one that works and is not full of ads.

>
>TouchWiz isn't even that bad.

Holy shit, you're fucking retarded.

Same boat as you OP. 4S to a S7 and I hate it.

HATE IT.

Why do I need 3 music players stock?
Why does stock android email suck beyond words
Why do I have to go looking for a better keyboard, none of which are as comfy as the IOS one
Bloat software is terrible
Still need to find a browser I like.

Wish I waited for the iPhone 7 :(

>Samsung
Should've gotten a Nexus.
It's not TOO bad though. Touchjizz has become a lot better since the S3/S4.

Yo, OP here. Second day with the S7 and I think I've got it to a point that I can comfortably use it. Still have more shit to do, but:

Disable the three music players. As far as I can tell, we can't uninstall them, but it's no big deal. They take up I think 1.5 MB altogether.

The "stock" email we've got is, I think, Samsung's version which is complete ass. I hid that shit so I don't have to look at it and I'm never gonna use it.

This one I got lucky with; on iOS, I got used to using the Nintype keyboard. I looked for an Android version and found an Android Beta the developer is working on.

Agreed.

I just use Chrome cuz idc about all that "botnet" shit that Sup Forums talks about. One thing I miss is that on iPhone, if I swipe down and then let go, it refreshes the page. If I swipe down and move left, I think it closes the tab, and to the right makes a new one. Android only does the refreshing. feelsbadman.

I honestly think that once I get used to this new shit and learn to stop hitting the damn Menu/Back button with my thumbs, it'll feel like home.

Honestly, the Samsung Pay is what sold me. Also I mistakenly thought it had an IR blaster, oops.

Almost forgot, someone earlier suggested getting a new launcher. Specifically, the Nova Launcher. I found an APK for the pro version of it, and I highly recommend switching launchers. That TouchWiz one, while it works, is so much shittier compared to this one. I think Apex might be a good one too but I haven't used it yet.

Mate but and HTC 10 instead its much more iOS friendly

>>samsung
>good luck with that

Kek

>I willingly compromise and use soft touh keyes

>Why do I have three different music players?
because you brought a samsung bloatphone
>To root or not to root?
if you don't have a reason why then just don't bother
>Where the hell do I start?
maybe with apps

HAHAHHAHAHAHHHAHHAHHAHHHAH

you can uninstall anything if you're rooted

iCuck detected.

That's what I'm waiting for. I'm pretty sure that I'm dead set on rooting, I just want to wait for someone to come out with a way to trick that Knox thing into thinking I'm not rooted. Apparently if that stupid security shit trips, it'll disable Samsung Pay, fuck my warranty, etc. etc. I read somewhere that someone's done it but the current method makes their phone slow af.

Cloudmagic is good for email

Im using android right now and is the biggest bloatware i ever seen

>sour grapes

Oo, looks nice. I may just try that shit out.

Also, something I liked about Apple's App Store is that, if I see that an app has in-app purchases, I could scroll down and see a list of what the in-app purchases were. For example, for a game, I could check if in-app purchases were only for cosmetic items or game boosters or whatever. On the Play Store, I can see whether an app has in app purchases, but I can't find a way to see what they actually are. Am I missing something, or is that just not a thing?

First two things to do:

- Get poweramp, it costs a bit but it's the best music player out there, definately worth it.

- Second, if you like tweaking your icons, animation speed, pretty much anything you want, in an easy to use menu get nova launcher, you can pay for prime with extra features if you like it

Samsungs browser is actualy one of the best I've ever used

Right now, I'm just compiling a list of music players I see being recommended or that I see on those "Sup Forums's guide to ____" pics so I can go back and compare them all at once. I think poweramp is on there, but if not, I'll ad it.

Someone suggested that. So. Much. Better. I fucking love Nova Launcher Prime.

As of right now, I'm just using Chrome so my stuff will sync and play nice with my laptop/tablet. Multi-device capabilities are a priority for me. I might look into Firefox and migrate everything there, dunno,

When it comes to battery the only good thing about iPhones is if you leave them alone on standby the battery will hardly go down at all.
You can leave it overnight and the batter will only have dropped a few percent.
Leave an android overnight and you've already lost 25 percent.

Nigger, Samsung browser is one of the best internet browsers available for a phone.
Have you even bothered trying it out?

iOS is refined and polish. 1gb of ram on iOS is like 4gb on Android

When was the last time you used android, Gingerbread or froyo

That's what you get for being an autist who can't root or not buying a Nexus device.

I wish I bough a chingchingchinaphone for $150 and not the S7.

Sure its nicely built but Android is a cheap and tacky OS that belong and cheap and tacky phones.

>install Nova launcher before you do anything else
>all music players for Android are terrible compared to iOS, just find one and settle
>root is far from necessary, but especially on a Samsung phone it'll allow you to turn off a lot of Samsung boat and cheese, plus AdAway is nice

Personally, I think you're nuts getting an Android phone that costs as much as an iPhone: Android is tempting because the hardware can be had so much cheaper, and thus also becomes more disposable.

1) root your phone
2) flash custom ROM
3) all problems gone