/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

Previously There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
man
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkfan.sourceforge.net/
deb-multimedia.org/
deb-multimedia.org/statistics
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=86507
adios-hola.org/)
comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.suckless/6901
freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/daemon.html
i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#keybindings
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Where can I find tutorials on creating daemons? What's the easiest init to do it?

thinkfan.sourceforge.net/

I need to use this because my laptop overheats within 10 minutes of using Linux. I use TPFancontrol in Win7, and it works like a champ.

Question: can anyone here provide a simple tutorial about configuring this thing? I just need it to turn fans to max when temps go above 78°C.

All I have done this far is the good ol' sudo apt-get install thinkfan. It worked. No idea how to run this thing now, how to setup sensors, check them, etc.

It's a Thinkpad x100e btw, running Ubuntu + Cinnamon.

If you know another solution I'll be happy to try it.

What temp does your laptop reach to?

While using windows?

on WIndows:
idles at 65°C
70°C on normal use
about 80°C on heavy use (streaming, hd video)

No idea how much in Ubuntu, but I know it's high because even the keyboard gets really hot.

When I try to connect to a local machine specifying a hostname, I can't log in. It tells me that the connection refused at port 22.
But when I try to do it with the local IP, it works.
What could be the problem here?
The /etc/hosts has both the localhost defined with the hostname and the internal IP with the hostname.
I've restarted sshd just to make sure but that didn't help.

Simple question;
why the fuck linux can't remember windows size and position? it should be a simple thing to do.

Fuck, just installed an ncmpcpp update and now it's all broken, keybinds are messed up, doesn't play music either and some options in the config gave an error before starting it up and had to be disabled.

I'm too careless with updates.

Alright /fglt/, i need you on this one. Currently working on a codeigniter project (web dev here) and my laptop hdd just stopped. Got an ssd, got linux mint, installed xampp.run and fudge, after pulling my data from the repo, shit wont run. Problems with base_url / pathing.

>Linux is case sensitive
Good to know, but so is our company's OC repo master.
>edit .htaccess and mod_rewrite
Editted .htaccess but cant seem to mod_rewrite. There's like 3 versions of apache installed and i cant figure out which one to work with. Apache? Apache2? Httpd? What the fuck?
>Go back to Windows
Plan B, i just wanna try working this shit.

tl;dr
whats the proper way to install a lampp stack with proper .htaccess write usage? Currently on linux mint.

Why aren't Debian packages updated more often ? I get that Debian is meant to be stable, what does prevent a repository manager to keep his repo up-to-date ? Stability ? Laziness ?

>#!/bin/bash
scrot -s '%y%m%d_%T.png' -e 'mv $f ~/images/screenshots/'

Your problem is maybe using single (') instead of double quotes ("). Things like '~' wount expand here. Also scrot is pretty much pretty retarded. Why the hell first take a screenshot and then move it around? Why does scrot have it's own date variables? Just do this:

scrot -s "~/images/screenshots/$(date '+%y%m%d_%T').png"
or even
import -window root "~/images/screenshots/$(date '+%y%m%d_%T').png"

Well, Debian has 3 main, and separate, package repositories: Unstable, Testing, and Stable.

I thought Unstable was basically as up-to-date as possible, like a rolling-release. Is it more behind compared to other distros? I'm not sure.

Sometimes seemingly at random, all my CTRL+ALT+Fx tty sessions except the one with the window manager, freeze. They all show text:
"Ubuntu 16.04 LTS lap4 tty6
lap4 login: "
No flashing cursor, can't input anything, the tty number changes only between freezes. In the session with the window manager, the text disappears in the xfce panel, in window titles, in the file manager, on icons, in the terminal, I can still input and move the mouse and such... I'm using a Thinkpad X201. I didn't ever touch any drivers, sudoed in anything with nano or copied moved anything... It's like that from the start...

It's not the OS responsibility. It's the wM responsibility, and some, like i3, offer such feature.

It it clean inside

resolv.conf
best DNS?

How exactly do I install fonts? I tried placing them in ~/.fonts to no avail, and font manager is a slow piece of shit that still didn't work

Running Xubuntu 16.04 if that helps

I'm installing manjaro what display manager you guys recommend? Lxdm?

It should be DEFAULT on all distros. It is essential and intuitive.

>chasing windows

usually just werks when i double click the font in a file manager and click install in the gui.

does xfce not have that?

kde, gnome, mate, cinammon all had that.

Just done a fresh install of Debian Testing, however when I attempt to remove libreoffice with 'apt-get remove --purge libreoffice' I am greeted with pic related and libreoffice is still installed, have I made a mistake or is this a testing bug?

nah, it is the recommends.

just a facet of dependency hell you sometimes hear about i think.

Nope, same thing for .TFF too

No it's stupid. I want my window to open fullscreen on current monitor. I don't want to chase the windows on my screens, not knowing where it will open.

i dunno then user, been too long since i used xfce, and since it is so easy to install it this way, i forgot how to do it via the terminal.

Are you fucking retarded?

No you are.

(You)

I know this question was probably posted lot of times, but I will do once again.

I'm planning to do my 1st NAS, and I want (obviously) to put linux on it. I always though on debian, but new versions have SystemD and olders have packages too old. I also know I can get rid off from SystemD.

I know I can try CentOS too, but I know mostly Debian, so that will make me to learn CentOS from scratch.

My question is, there's other OS options better (or same valid) for this scenario?

Sorry for bad english.

always hear about bsd for nas type shit.

can't really recommend you anything, just bring that up.

I would like to ask about BSD but I don't know if I can here.

Well, you can install Gentoo. It uses OpenRC by default. Although you can install any other init system.
You can also use Debian and remove systemd from it and use SysV or whatever you fancy.

probably can, better than shitflinging at least.

but don't even think of bringing gnu/linux up in the friendly bsd thread

What's so wrong about systemd that you abandon debian because of it?

I think Gentoo is maybhe too advance for me yet, although I though on putting in Void.

Then, someone can enlightme about BSD?

Well, maybe that I learnt some ways on do the things on debian and I don't want to re-learn it. I also did a little research (time ago) and I don't feel like SystemD is the way on doing things.

Okay. I've never used anything else than systemd and it seems to work alright.

Will it be better to install mdk3 on my raspberry pi or use airbase-ng to spam SSIDs?
I could write a bash script for airbase-ng or use the built-in mdk3 thing..
I already have airbase-nd, all I care about is how fast I can spam them.
What do you guy's think?
Is there a better way? All of this seems like a lot to do something this simple.

Yandex

You haven't set up the ssh configs on both ends properly I'd assume

I want to dual boot Windows and Linux on the new rig I'm planning to build. Should I buy components based on its compatibility to the distro, or should I pick a distro that is compatible to the components?

bit of column A, bit of column B

Just as long as you're not sacrificing much in one way for the other it's fine

Right now it looks like Debian unstable is 4.6.3. Gentoo unstable (and Arch main too, I think) is at 4.6.4, and with Gentoo you can go to 4.7.0 rc7 with git-sources, so it's a bit behind hemorrhaging edge, but it's still unstable.

Debian unstable kernel version is 4.6.3* whoops

And everything else is a little behind crazy bleeding edge shit too.

slackware has a nice installer, is stable, and uses sysvinit instead of systemd. Gentoo is nice.

Correct me if I'm wrong (since I have virtually no knowledge about this) but wouldn't that make me unable to connect to the desired computer anyway? As opposed only to the hostnames.

I was trying to install a dual boot gentoo, got confused rebooted and when I backed into the bios mode of my pc and changed settings back to uefi it wouldn't find windows. Is there an easy to install any linux distro above GRUB2? Else I would try installing one of the dual boot auto install distros and add gentoo after. Thanks in advance.

You didn't format your Windows partition did you?

posting again..

this is probably not the place to ask, but I figure I might ask anyways.

Is it possible to buy [your average cheapo quadcore ARM board], install Linux on it, then make Linux a "dumb" OS? As in, I want to operate that ARM board like you do to a standard microcontroller. Apparently, that requires me to enable some real time module in the kernel, but I need very accurate timings out of the ARM board, so how can I be sure nothing else will eat any resource or take the attention away from my program? Is running an ARM board like a micro controller even possible? thanks /fglt/

I only searched for the raspberry, but no it seems no one has achieved real time with it.

I think not, it was marked as NTFS when I quit parted and was marked as NTFS when I reinstalled windows

is debian the balanced distro?

between bleeding edge and regular user desktop;
between "independent"/customizable and hand holding distros;
stable enough to be used as server but simple and practical enough to be desktop;

I recently switched to debian and yes. I only use the stable part tho.

deb-multimedia.org/

Does this website have trustworthy multimedia packages for Debian?

deb-multimedia.org/statistics
seems popular

Any easier alternatives to terminal.sexy out there?
If so do tell.

Is there a cue splitter with a curses interface?
I want to split the cue files downloaded to my mpd headless server over ssh, but shnsplit doesn't do batch and X forwarding is too unstable.

I've also read somewhere that the larger and more complicated (and thus faster) a microprocessor gets, the more terrible it is with i/o, is that true? Is that why there are dedicated architectures for microcontroller applications and dedicated architectures for microprocessor applications even thought it is possible for a microprocessor to be cheaper than a microcontroller? Can anyone enlighten me on this matter?

yeah. It's a design thing. All people with this memepad have the same issue. It happens in Windows too if I don't use TPFancontrol.

Well, binding exec "xterm /full/path/to/script" works just fine, but it opens a xterm window, and I don't want that behavior. Binding exec /full/path/to/script not working, even with single or double quotes

I'm too lazy to read old posts. Explain clearly your problem and I will provide solution.

Forgot to add that scrot doesn't have its own variables for time.
Both the --exec and filename parameters can take format specifiers that are expanded by scrot when encountered. There are two types of format specifier. Characters preceded by a '%' are interpreted by strftime(2). See man strftime for examples. These options may be used to refer to the current date and time. The second kind are internal to scrot and are prefixed by '$' The following specifiers are recognized:

>I'm too lazy to read old posts.
fuck off, friend

OK. I could have help you but you declined.

Binding exec scrot -s doesn't work on i3. Scripting the command works, but only if I run it from a terminal. As I said in I don't want an xterm window opening every time I want to take a scrot.

Are there any music players on Linux that support dsps? There are some for Foobar that I really enjoy.

Debian, to me at least, is the ultimate balanced distro.

It has only free software on its main repo, and offers contrib and non-free with a simple edit of a text file

There's plenty of documentation

It's got stable for servers / users who don't mind old software, testing for comfortable desktop use, and sid for living to the limit (while still having a strong safety belt)

I just really like it, it's the one I always recommend first

I did the test, I got the error
giblib error: couldn't grab pointer:Resource temporarily unavailable
I'm looking for a workaround.

on bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=86507

there is the evil trick to add sleep command before scroting.

I would like to watch some videos on say, YouTube, while appearing as if I'm in the US.

What's the best lightweight, free solution for this?

I heard of a Firefox addon called Hola, but I've also heard it's not a good thing to use (adios-hola.org/)

So I wanted to ask you guys what you use for that sort of thing

Agreed, and it shows how well their system works, since they're among the most popular and stable distros, and they're one of the oldest.

bindsym Print exec "sleep 0.2; scrot -s"

Why do we need to add the sleep command? Why don't i3wm devs fix this?
Thank you for the help guys, I was giving up on this.

It's not i3, it's scrot which try only once to grab mouse. Google the error message.
comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.suckless/6901

And by the way I'm

>I consider adding a flag to execute a key binding on release.
Would this be a more straightforward solution?

Guys, what precautions must I take when accessing a Windows partition from my Linux partition?

Is is true that it is unsafe to copy files to the former from the latter?

I just ask because I'm trying out Wine for the first time to run a few old Steam games that aren't natively compatible on Linux's steam, so I just figured I'd make a symlink to my Steam installation in the Windows partition. But for example that means that it's going to download updates to the Windows partition while I'm on Linux for the games there.

How? By hacking i3 source?

freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/daemon.html

i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#keybindings
by adding --release flag

Does it work?

So I'm going to be getting an Android phone, Honor 7 specifically. How much of a walled garden is Android? Can I get root privileges? Can I connect to it with SSHFS from my Linux desktop?

>Well, maybe that I learnt some ways on do the things on debian and I don't want to re-learn it. I also did a little research (time ago) and I don't feel like SystemD is the way on doing things.

You're a pretentious, try-hard idiot who gets all his opinions from others. Good luck in life.

Apparently not. I could be doing something wrong though.

Yup was doing something wrong. Adding --release flags works just fine.
>"Some tools (such as import or xdotool) might be unable to run upon a KeyPress event, because the keyboard/pointer is still grabbed. For these situations, the --release flag can be used, which will execute the command after the keys have been released."

Works on my machine
bindsym --release Print exec scrot -s

This is probably a really stupid question. Aside form window managers and desktop environments, what are the differences between distributions? I know some use different package managers as well, I think.

I added --realease after the exec command rather than after bindsym kek.

Different repositories.

Is there anything else? Something below the de/wm?

I'm sorry for being so ignorant.

philosophy

I'm going to buy a new phone and was looking at open source OS.
Currently it seems that there is only
>ubuntu touch
>sailfish OS
>tizen
How are they globally ? Specifically tizen and sailfish OS

>different release cycle
>different package manager
>different package build features enabled
>different defaults
>different stance towards patching of packages
>different stance towards included software (license wise)

You can get any DE/WM for virtually any distribution.

Thank you. Again, I'm sorry for being ignorant.

That's why I'm wondering what makes them different.

Isn't a different community and developers make enough difference.

doesn't*

Is there a painless way I can transfer my Desktop's Arch to a second harddrive on my laptop (preferably without deleting the windows on the main drive)

Why was upgrading an OS with third-party repositories considered a bad idea? My F23 keeps wanting me to upgrade and I can't be bothered to, unless typing fedup right now would be all I had to do.

any US proxy should work

I'm using fluxbox and it says to go into styles in the menu to customise but I don't see shit. Where the fuck is system styles?