Radio thread

Radio thread

Just got my Baofeng UV-5R radio. Any other radio Sup Forumsuys out there?
What do you do on your radio? And what's up with the Russian "listening stations"? Saw some videos about a radio station named UVB-76 broadcasting on 4625 kHz.

Other urls found in this thread:

g0lfp.com/chirp/
youtu.be/JzN4N-qUg0s
youtube.com/watch?v=gDxVF79ocWw
youtube.com/watch?v=GUQUD3IMbb4
archive.org/detahttps://archive.org/details/ird059ils/ird059
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have one of those niggers
only things I can seem to pick up are NOAA weather robots and FM radio

I picked up some guys talking this morning just after i got it. Can't seem to find anything now though.

Go to radioreference.com and look up the amateur station repeaters in your area. Program them bitches in and start scanning.

Also, spend

I used CHIRP software and programmed this whole list of stuff. I just set it on scan when I'm driving sometimes and can pick up different stuff.

Also used radioreference.com to find some more channels for particular area.

1 446.00625
2 446.01875
3 446.03125
4 446.04375
5 446.05625
6 446.06875
7 446.08125
8 446.09375

These 8 are open license so hang about on these and you should hear someone. You can also talk on these.

Also get a Nagoya NA-771.

I really like the UV-5R and radios in general so I'm going to post more pics.

I once purchased a UV-82 and absolutely HATED it. The battery attachment clips and design are godawful. It's only UV-5R for me. Maybe I'll try the "high power" BF-F8HP ones. Anyone have any experience with them?

UK Repeaters csv generator for users of CHIRP
g0lfp.com/chirp/

You can't access CB bands with the UV-5R though can you?

It's usefulness is kinda meh considering most interesting shit is encrypted or digital these days

youtu.be/JzN4N-qUg0s is pretty interesting.

You're correct. No CB bands and encryption becoming the way of most Law Enforcement. I mostly use mine for camping and hiking with my senpai and for screwing with the walmart/homedepot workers near my house.

radio thread!

Radio related question... anyone got any information on "Number Stations"? I came across them yesterday and they've fascinated me - the idea of a radio station broadcasting for the last 40 years or so with little to no interuption each year. as well as the erie feel they have to them.

>youtube.com/watch?v=gDxVF79ocWw
>youtube.com/watch?v=GUQUD3IMbb4

Oh shit, sorry... didn't even see you mention these stations. Funny coincidence.
There's lots of different ideas behind them - some plausible, some not.

The most plausible answer I've heard is that they're used to 'reserve' these frequencies for when they're required - I must admit. I'm really not knowledgable about radio though.
Also look up "Пepимeтp/Perimeter" in relation to UVB-76

There's a whole load of them. Here's an archive of various recordings from various stations.
>archive.org/detahttps://archive.org/details/ird059ils/ird059

Yeah I thought there would be more interesting shit considering I live downtown in a large city, but most of the time there isn't much - I got a external car antenna and put it on my balcony.

I think I have mostly used the uv-5r for FM radio (since it's really fucking loud and gets really good signal) Sometimes for weather forecasts, and occasionally I get some sort of dispatch - maybe ambulance or something like that, it's usually stuff like someone who is mentally ill walking around in their pyjamas or shit like that.

I wish I got CB though so I could talk to truckers when i'm driving. Can't seem to find any good CB radios from china :(

I'm going to Saint Petersburg in December... tempted to go to the triangulated locaton of the one of the older broadcasts for UVB-76 (I think it's 20 miles out of St P)

I have one but it mostly just sits around. After the recent happening in Turkey I kind of want to try messing around with packet radio, but I don't know if there's anyone else in the area to do it with.

>implying it's that hard to get a ham radio license in the first place

This is a long shot, but anybody got a chirp file for NYPD/FDNY freqs?

>implying its worth it

You might also be interested in letter beacons. I picked up the Moscow C station earlier today.

ever come across creepy or weird stuff? like number stations?

>Moscow C station
Can you tell me more please? I don't have a ny kind of radio equipment but I could try on a web USB (?) radio which I found the otherday.

That stuff is on shortwave radio usually.

websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901
check out this if you want to get in on some spoopy number station action

As others have said get chirp and program the local repeaters, that's boring af to be honest, hopefully you can pick up police radio too.
The rtlsdr is bretty cool too, but a lot more difficult to get up and running.

What for real? Is this in the US?

>implying I want some faggot to be able to lookup my home address

I can pick up my local police radio. They normally move to cellphones if it's at all personal.

>implying I want some faggot to be able to lookup my home address
exactly this

fuck ham radio, it's like IRC but twice as autistic

>Just got my Baofeng UV-5R radio. Any other radio Sup Forumsuys out there?

have a baofeng uv-b5, breddy good

>And what's up with the Russian "listening stations"? Saw some videos about a radio station named UVB-76 broadcasting on 4625 kHz.

that's shortwave radio, not vhf like these ham radios

I picked up a nooelec nesdr for pretty cheap (but any usb dvb dongle will work), they're supposed to be used for digital tv but the chips inside them can actually pick up a pretty wide range of radio frequencies, from about 25mhz to 2ghz, and with a somewhat cheap (but expensive compared to the dongle) upconverter (such as ham it up, which is the gold standard, but there's likely cheaper ones) you can get much lower shortwave frequencies too (0-30mhz)

I like the baofeng but it scans slow as balls whereas the nooelec or just about any usb dvb will allow you to see around 1mhz of radio spectrum in software so it's incredibly simple to scan and find active broadcasting frequencies and pick out the constant sources of noise to avoid with the handheld

have yet to hear anything interesting but mostly because I'm in britfagia land in a somewhat small city and get a ton of interference from the local ham repeaters, the plan is to mostly mess around in sdr and pull out the baofeng when I need something with a bit more oompfh

a great source to find where to listen might be a governmental agency that lists ham radio allocation, the uk has ofcom for example which lists all registered business uses of radio frequencies

(any old rtl-sdr can also decode tetra signals if anyone else lives in a country where tetra is used for emergency services too fwiw)

Is it possible to connect to the Russian listening station on my UV-5R? What kind of radio do I need to be able to listen on those frequencies?

People always say how you gotta get a license or the ham army will leave their closet/garage ,triangulate you, call the FCC who might come to your house and yell at you.

Unless you're doing something really stupid like spamming emergency bands or yelling at old hams, I really doubt anyone's going to bother you.

FCC has better things to do (like banning openwrt) than come to your house and bother you.

>implying the FCC isn't too understaffed to actually do anything

I bought this scanner off someone a few weeks ago. The backlight is still in good condition and other than being smoked on over the years it looks good. I'm using a stock picture right now, not near mine. I also have a Baofeng UV-5R+.

I'm probably going to need to go to radio classes because all I can find is taxi channels. Surely there's something more fun to listen to? Britbong btw

Not Ham Radio but since getting my Baofeng I'm now into collecting old '70s radios. It's a pretty niche collectors item so prices are relatively sane. A lot of fun to get into especially with the thousands of models around the world.

>NOAA weather robots
Care to explain this a bit?

It's a purely analog scanner (duh) and with most if not all police departments moving to using digital systems (P25 Phase I and II primarily, some use DMR), and most if not all businesses moving to DMR (aka MotoTRBO in some countries/regions) or NXDN, the only purpose that scanner might serve would be to feed a tapped signal (on the discriminator) to a computer running DSD+ for decoding the digital signal content into vocals you can understand.

Aside from that, you're not going to pick up much, especially in the UK but it might prove useful for some purposes depending.

NOAA "weather robots" are the weather transmissions you find in the 162 MHz area, 24/7, broadcasting primarily from local and international airports around the US. The "robot" aspect is because it uses computer generated speech of the weather information. Years ago an actual human would record the updates and then it would play on a tape loop until the next update, nowadays it's all done with computer generated speech and updated more frequently.

Thinking about getting a Baofeng BF-F9 V2+ is the 8w worth the buy?

I have one but can't figure out how to program it for my local repeater tower.

I don't have a license I just bought it to listen in and for emergency since you can use them in times of emergency even without a license.

I'm thinking of selling it on then, I get more use out of my Baofeng and other than looking nice the Realistic doesn't get much use.

There's still plenty of good stuff to listen to with an analog scanner and that's one of the faster ones.

not so much radio but picked up a bcd536 debating on paying for the DRM upgrade anyone near dallas with experience? also dont get shit with close call on & all bands on

Get the upgrade, definitely, as DMR is moving in very rapidly in the US so it's practically a must at this point. There's rumors that Uniden might actually stop supplying the update even if people are willing to pay for it for whatever reason(s) they can come up with so do it before that happens (if it ever does).

Whistler is coming out with a DMR capable model or two in the next few months from what I understand based on posts at Radio Reference, we'll see what happens.

Worse comes to worst you can always sell it so having the upgrade in place just makes it more valuable to a potential new owner.

Digital is going to take over eventually and the only people using pure analog comms will be Hams and people that just can't afford the digital hardware.

I like my uv5r. Recently I have been messing around with SDR. I am trying to set it up so that I can listen to trunked radio systems.

Also, here is a kenwood portable UHF radio.

My friend and I got 6 of them for ~$4 each at my university's surplus store. They seem to normally sell for ~$70 each used.

What model kenwood

How does the quality compare to the uv5r? Also, how much does SDR cost to get into?

tk-3100

The build quality is much better, but they are built for different purposes. The kenwood can only have 2 channels programmed into it, and they are toggled with the switch on the top. It is meant for professional use, not amateur, so the features are lacking compared to a baofeng.

SDR is really cheap now, I got an RTL-SDR device off of amazon for $25, and it came with a 5 foot antenna. For trunked systems you need two of them.

So you've got your Baofeng. How else are you prepping for the Happening, Sup Forums?

>tk-3100
sell a couple of them?

im thinking of getting a tech license soon, so ill prolly get a radio at some point(most likely the Baofeng UV-5RXX) . anything I should know about hamming in general?

It's a hobby for cranky old men and they really don't like seeing young little fags trying to muscle in on their sekrit club.

>I kind of want to try messing around with packet radio
That sounds fun, but on looking it up it seems that there are no APRS digipeaters where I live. God dammit why does the city I live in suck for anything related to amateur radio.

if you cared about an emp attack you would have a tube radio

>his radio doesn't glow
>his radio doesn't weigh 37 pounds
>his radio doesn't cause cancer

>look up packet radio and APRS
>speeds from 1200 bits per second to 9600 bits per second depending on your equipment
>start doing the math on how it could support posting with traditional server based services
>find that an IRC channel with about 200 people lurking would only be able to support 3 posts per minute with a 9600 bit per second assuming the posts were the only data being transmitted and a 1200 bit per second connection could only support about 25 people
>that's shitty
>decide that since everyone can listen to all the packets why not just skip using a server and just have everyone listen to the service's address
>1200 bits per second can support text only Sup Forums at peak hours (~1000 posts per hour) assuming posts are an average of 500 characters
>9600 bits per second can support text only Sup Forums at peak hours (~8500 posts per hour) assuming posts are an average of 500 characters
>lurking causes no load on the servers
Neat, in the event of the government shutting down the internet the shitposting will go on!