Will we ever need peta or exa byte drives bros? I can't remember the last time I actually filled a harddrive...

will we ever need peta or exa byte drives bros? I can't remember the last time I actually filled a harddrive, maybe in the early 2000s with JAVs

~20 years

Maybe less than that, given the increasing resolution/framerate of video files.

Can you imagine the filesize of a movie intended for VR? Two video streams at 4K at 90Hz, no matter how efficient the codec is, that's an enormous file.

>cant remember the last time I actually filled a hard drive

Time to start data hoarding user

There's no better feeling then having every single possible thing I might want to watch saved offline

I have like the full dragon ball series saved, I might get around to watching it one day. Oh, I wanna watch Encouragement of Climb? Yep, I have it, ready to watch whenever I am ready to watch it. I wanna finally watch All About Lily Chou Chou to see if it's worth all the hype? Maybe I'll get around to it

There's really no reason to delete anything ever

>VR
fadmeme

>full dragon ball series saved
yea, i was 14 once too

The transition away from spinning platters is already happening.
The density increases for platters have slowed down, meanwhile in the NAND world there is already stacking of memory modules, making it pretty trivial to ramp up capacity going into the future.

I can't say when this will come, but its coming.
It will probably take 15-20 years tho

b-but maybe I'll watch it one day

There is literally no way VR will be a fad. Even the small amount of VR type content we have today has demonstrated itself to be very cool and most definitely worth the time, think about the 360 videos on YouTube. Even the shitty ones are super immersive. I think VR is here to stay, once they actually start to look nice people will want more VR content

>I think VR
memelord

VR was always a fad before given it's shitty appearance. Look how 3D movies have been adopted by mainstream theater goers -- it won't be long before affordable and high quality VR will be around for nearly everyone.

Eventually. We're moving away from hard drives now and can fit more data into tinier more reliable places. With the increasing size of media, well need it eventually.

Not to mention that you can fit 4+ terabytes of nand storage in the same space as a laptop HDD with ease. Just wait until we have better nanotech or decide that it's easier to make regular hard drive sized SSD's and then work our way back down to smaller sizes.

>hectobyte

>fit more data into tinier more reliable places
up our asses?

What's the point when it takes like five mins to download that shit?

>Assuming that everything on the interenet is there to stay.

Presumably high quality VR content will be pretty fucking big. 4k+ at 90 hz is gigantic compared to 24 hz 720p YIFY rips

then why is your trap folder so full?

>kilo
>103

Yes, a kilo is 1000.

well when our walls to our houses are made of screens and they use higher resolutions and they track your eyes to go with the vr experience, yeah. That will be a lot of data.

there's no point in measuring anything to do with computers in powers of 10, as opposed to powers of 2.

the HDD (and now SSD) makers decided to be sticklers about SI units for one reason and one reason only: It makes their drives look bigger than they are. Kilo- shouldn't be 2^10 instead of 10^3 whenever the context is computers.

*should be, god dammit

Still doesn't make a kilo not 1000

He said tinier

Stop saying that. It's literally false.

>Well defined word should be different in this context
Nah, blame the people who originally named it for being retards.