Is i7 and 16 GiB a meme? Serious answer please

Is i7 and 16 GiB a meme? Serious answer please.

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.android.com/
libreboot.org/faq/#intel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Depends on what you are using your computer for.

only answer. If you are a gaymer, yes it's a meme.
If you work with video rendering, no it's not.

absolutely

Why don't you do your own research you dumb piece of shit

Go to your fucking favorite search engine and ask "Do I need X" and read some articles and then come back.

Because if you had done that, maybe you would have posted a more intelligent OP but just asking "hey do I need this hardware?" is like asking "hey do I need this prescription drug?" and nothing else.

browsing Sup Forums and reddit.

If you are just playing games, you probably don't need that. I run virtual machines with PCI passthrough, and I have reached 16gb of ram used, so it depends on what you are doing.

Do you use Chrome?

yes.

Then there you go, better invest in at least 32 GB

I'd go with 64 GiB just to be safe.

>i7
yes

>16GiB
nope, since ram is cheap

Intel processors became so damn expensive. My next build will prob. be AMD, CPU and GPU.

all Intel CPUs newer than Core2 are botnet

For your average use of shitposting and gaming? Yes. An i5 would suffice. While technically 8GB would be fine as well, applications and games are getting more and more ram intensive. And a 2x8GB kit of ram is a whopping what, $25 more than its 8GB kit counterpart?

I have an i7 and 32GB of ram because I do a lot of encodes, video editing, as well as gaming. Sometimes I'll setup a VM to utilize 3 cores from the i7 for encoding in the VM and keep 2 threads available for the host to use for something else.

Honestly the extra 10-20 bucks to go from 16 to 32 gigs of ram isn't that bad. Ram is so cheap it can't really be a meme of a purchase, that's why I bought 128 gigs of ram.

If you are one of those guys who never close anything and just tab out of whatever you are doing, yes. You will need this.

If you're working on just a couple or 5 things, you will be fine with 8GB and an i5.

For chrome? He'll need at least a petrabyte

I have a 8 Core Xeon and 32 GB RAM (X99), do a lot of encoding, video editing, and AutoCAD work, there's that.

if you're doing any professional creative work no

>Serious answer please.
Serious thread please.

A shameless request to anyone half decent with regex:

Create a regex string to filter posts like this one.

"Is/are *enter any sane number of words/numbers here* a meme/placebo"

I will use it to filter this trash and you probably should too.

Can someone explain me why a i5 is enough for gaming, please? All information i found online is extremely superficial

this. I found out and immediately stopped using my computers and went out and bought used ones from a decade ago. I can't play many new games, but old ones are better anyway and at least im not part of the botnet

Superficial how? Simply put, it's because games are vastly more single threaded more than they are multithreaded. An i5 is the exact same everything as the i7 of the same family, just without hyper threading. So you only have 4 processing threads, not 8.

Some games do actually make use of extra cores though and it is becoming more common place as time goes on. GtaV, the various battlefield games. Fallout 4 etc.

> not going for an exabyte

But my render machine isn't online so how

*tips fedora*

Since this is already infinitely better question than OP:

Most games are poor with parallelization and can't utilize more CPU threads than four(if even those effectively) and that is essentially the difference between i5 and i7 -series CPUs. i7-series CPUs have more threads and/or cores which are very useful in certain applications and less so in others. Yet again this all boils down to what you need and what you see worthy which is a thing you can only answer yourself.

/(Is|is|Are|are) (.+) a (meme|placebo)\?/
i guess

My 4GHz Core2 based Xeon hasnt had any trouble playing games...

If you intend to do only light gaming. If you want decent performance in, say Arma 3, don't go with AMD. Trust me, my fx-8150 was a disappointment right from the start.

Holy fuck thanks user for asking this question and other user for answering because fuck trying to organize filters for all the variants of shitty memes.

>Is x a meme?
>Serious answers please

Only serious questions get serious answers. Type like someone without extra chromosomes.

You're the best.

>implying I won't just slightly alter the phrase to dodge your autistic filter

lul

I'm not sure if that works tho. I gave it a shot myself now:

/(is|are) (.+) (a meme|meme|placebo)/

I'm literally a complete newbie at this. I know there must be a smarter way to do it but hey, at least it's working as intended(tm) for now.

i7 is a meme if you're gayming, but 16 GB is good always.

/(?:is|are)[^\?\n\.]*a\s(?:meme|placebo)\?/i

Is probably a better regular expression because it doesn't match edge cases like:
>Is my gpu fast enough for a 144hz monitor? Do you really see the difference or is it a placebo?

Nevermind my edge case example is pretty poor but it should work and not create false positives.

It was intended to not detect the words when spread over multiple sentences, the other regular expressions kept going till they match, which could be at the end of a 300 word post.

Good shit user, good shit.

>he fell for the 16GiB meme
Lol

I actually use over 8 gigs of ram

No, you WASTE over 8 GiB ram

>worrying about ram usage

Ram is cheap, might as well get a ton of it.
I bought 32gb of ram and plan on spreading it over this machine, my file server and htpc once i upgrade.

>gb
g = gram
b = barn
G = Giga
B = Byte

gb = gigabyte

these things all have one weakness

I was typing it out quickly. If I wanted to be correct I should have used 16 GiB.

>he fell for the self-moderation placebo meme

>i7
yes, unless you're encoding 10bit hevc every day for some reason or gaming on 4k which is also a meme
>16gib
also a meme unless you're running VM's

That's exactly what I got and it's comfy.

Right this second?
both are memes

Going forward?
new standards are using meme threadding
higher clocked ram will actually make a difference

In order to be future meme proof you will need to pre order a Zen cpu and 32gb 2133 quad channel ram.

>he enjoys unresponsive operating systems

Nigga stop that terrible meme, it's a meme to say that 16GB is a meme.
The price difference is literally nothing, if you don't buy 16GB your a massive faggot.

RAM is dirt cheap anyways and the price difference is negligent.

Unless you're a very poorfag, there's no reason not to get 16 GiB.

That is a waste. 16GB is fine but 128GB is not.

Virtual Machines baby

If you're tight on budget, get 1 8GB stick. This will give you about $30 room.

>Is i7 and 16 GiB a meme?
If you're getting an i7, you might as well get 32GB as well since you seem to have a reason to need the power. If not, just go with an i5 and 16GB.

there's always one cunt that wants to correct people.

Chrome is quite greedy.

In Before "Why haven't you upgraded to 16.04 yet?"
I'm not dealing with that mess until it's stable. Installed it on my T420 and have had nothing but problems.

How about this?

If all you do is sit on your fat ass and play the Meme of the Week PC game it is.

I stopped gaming and got into video production, now my rendering times jump every week from adding more layers, cuts and effects. Running multiple Adobe programs along with Premiere is a hog too. 8gb isn't enough at that point.

Why the fuck do you need so many virtual machines? That is something that I never understood. 1 Virtual machine or maybe 2 is all you need.

- Separate Linux VM to order pizza with non-free JavaScript
- Another Linux VM to try libre software that I haven't had the time to study its source code
- Windows VM to make the botnet think I'm a sheep
- Android VM to make the botnet think I'm a sheep

>windows PRISM edition

the implication was that a text filter can't stop someone from typing something into an image

nice meme

How do you run Android VM?

Now That's What I Call Edgy Volume 2.

If you have to ask. It's not for you

The Android SDK contains a hardware accelerated x86 Android emulator

Where do I get that? Also can I root in the VM? I want to play this game that is pretty good but riddled with ads. (Weed Firm 2 if your curious)

>Also can I root in the VM?
Of course, yes

developer.android.com/

Thanks mate. Going through site right now, like where tf is the download?

Android SDK or Android Studio

maybe BlueStacks is better suited for you if you're not a developer

Yea, RAM is dirt cheap. I remember when I had to pay 100 dollars for 4GB. Recently I got 32GB of DDR4 for more or less the same price.

I remember when I coughed up $250 or so to get a pair of 256MB sticks of PC133 SDR. I was the envy of my Counterstrike server.

I get that i7 is a meme for gaming, but what about compiling? Surely an i7 and M.2 SSD would perform significantly better than an i5 and a SATA SSD for that?

Not an expert on processors and gaming but it seems the recent trend for video cards is to leverage more cpu power, i.e. FX12 and Vulkan through async.

So a skylake i7 is not really a "meme" right now, given also the longevity of intel CPUs its a good investment.

>intel procesors
>expensive

Are you poor?

He's posting on Sup Forums, what do you think?

Shit, in the 90s I had 96MB in EDO SIMMs. I don't even want to know how much those cost.

>16 GiB
RAM is free compared to the price of other parts so there is no reason to not have 16 GB

I argue that getting the best processor you can buy is fine since you are pretty much stuck and upgrading is dumb (by the time you "need" to upgrade you will have to upgrade mobo + something else).
I bought an i5 2500k and it's still great but If I went for the i7 I would be happier right now.

i7? Not that much actually. i5 is more than enough for everything but most media players and browsers doesn't use hardware acceleration that much (multiscreen media work I'm talking about. Media viewing? i3 is more than fucking enough for that of course.) A coder most likely will appriciate a i7 too. Games? i5 is enough for a few years.
16GB? Depends. Virtual Machines? Go for it. RAMdisk? Go for it (essentially some hobbyist work but still cool.). Games? NO.

Why does it matter if 16gb is a meme? ram is cheap as fuck anyway

im always on 55% - 65% usage daily so 8gb wouldnt be enough for me

This really makes me want to get a new mobo for my early 08 MBP.

>using Windows: PRISM Edition

fuck off retard

Explain? Can't seem to find the right search terms

trolled softly :^)

libreboot.org/faq/#intel

i7-E is not a meme, neither is 16GB RAM.

also:

>the year 2000+16
>not having 16 GB RAM

get fucked, pleb

has anyone logged their post-2008 intel computer communicating with unauthorized servers (e.g., intel, LEA) or is it a tool for sysadmins to maintain/manage computers

>meme
>when todays laptops come with 4-8 gb ram, 2 gb vram cards and mid-range i5

No user, the real memes are thinkpads, mechanical keyboards and 32 GB ram

Rendering video/3d stuff? Sure, it works. Running servers, especially virtualized ones, you want more than 16GiB and probably a Xeon. More cores > clock speed and consumer stuff.

If it's a personal machine not used for that kind of thing, I don't think you'd need either, though more ram can't hurt.

Do you want to love using your computer? Do you want to never feel like shit is slow, or that you have to wait on something? Do you not want to micromanage every single app and tab you have open? Then it's not a meme.