Choosing my new guitar + amp

Hi all I'm 23 and I've been playing everyday for 5 months now, started with a shitty stagg startup bundle

I want to play some heavier tunes - thrash metal and so on, I'm new and it's had to decide

my budget is 700EU , planning to spend about 300EU for the guitar and the rest for a nice Marshall amp
these are my 3 options for a guitar each has its good sides

>Jackson JS32 Kelly from my point of view is sexy af, with Jackson High Output Humbuckers

>Jackson Dinky DKTX with EMG HZ H4-B Pickup a lot of people told me EMG have the best pickups

>Ibanez RG321 the only good thing about this one is the Mahogany body making it sound heavier, while the other 2 Jacksons both have a Basswood body

I asked some friends and they said Jackson's Necks are really good and the string thru body helps get a better sound

as for the Marshall amp I have no idea what to choose - something with good distortion to get that heavy metal sound

Other urls found in this thread:

reverb.com/p/panama-guitars-fuego-15-amp-head?_aid=pla&hfid=1486553&gclid=Cj0KEQjwztG8BRCJgseTvZLctr8BEiQAA_kBD-MXiXfHQB6qLLRQq7b2F-6sVzt2aoncXCbz5Fh2HrEaApMa8P8HAQ
sweetwater.com/store/detail/S521BBS
sweetwater.com/store/detail/112TS
youtube.com/watch?v=WEuiZFb2wHY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Marshall
>nice
wew lad stopped reading there

Could always get the JS32 for sexiness and slap some EMG pickups in it yourself.

Everybody here is musically retarded

I've played a few Panama amps lately that you can get for pretty cheap. They can handle the high gain stuff with a solid clean sound:

reverb.com/p/panama-guitars-fuego-15-amp-head?_aid=pla&hfid=1486553&gclid=Cj0KEQjwztG8BRCJgseTvZLctr8BEiQAA_kBD-MXiXfHQB6qLLRQq7b2F-6sVzt2aoncXCbz5Fh2HrEaApMa8P8HAQ

For the guitar I would get a used ibanez, something like this:

sweetwater.com/store/detail/S521BBS

I have never had good luck with the cheaper jackson line.

When did you grow out of metal Sup Forums?

i'm sorry i'm not mature enough for classical music

Jetcity 22h and a 200 dollar 1x12. Don't get a cheap cab user.

sweetwater.com/store/detail/112TS

>goto used store
>buy a cheap guitar for $10
>its actually a decent guitar for the price

>I want to play some heavier tunes - thrash metal and so on
lel, grow up kid.

A used jetcity usually goes for about 250

>Everybody here is musically retarded
>Links to Sup Forums
>Obviously too new to remember Sup Forums gear threads

OP don't pigeonhole yourself into a certain sound for when you grow out of meal.

also this.
get gud first OP. you don't need to drop 700eur on equipment that you are not going to use.
also grow up out of metal already. you are 23

Here was joking autismo

I'd choose the RG321. Can't really beat a RG in terms of comfort and playability.

Do not get an amp, get a decent USB interface and play via amp simulators. You'll be able to record anything you want and you'll have access to an unlimited array of sounds.

There's a lot of reasoning behind what I told you, but I don't really have time to get into it.

>Do not get an amp, get a decent USB interface and play via amp simulators. You'll be able to record anything you want and you'll have access to an unlimited array of sounds.
An unlimited array of shit maybe. Awful suggestion.

You need a good tube so you won't sound like shit (eventually). Really cheap equipment will eventually discourage you from playing since you'll always sound like shit.

When i turned 18, now i only listen anime remixes.

I have a Jackson dinky and love it. It's a great guitar and once you get used to the Floyd rose bridge you really appreciate the work that went into making it. The pickup's are good too I wouldn't say amazing but they're better then the normal stock ones that come on guitars usually.

As for the amp I wouldn't say a Marshal would be your best option. They're high priced and for metal you really don't need a super expensive tube amp. I would go solid state as metal doesn't really require the warmth that tubes give. I think metal actually sounds better on solid state but these are all my personal preferences. If you find a good solid state for a cheaper price id recommend you save the money and upgrade your pickups, take your guitar to a lutheran and have your frets filed/action set lower as it generally makes it easier to do sweeps and other techniques commonly used in metal.

do yourself a favour and fuck off from Sup Forums for this, this place isn't a place to get any advice let alone music-related advice

>body changing the sound

>Marshall

>metal

What is your goal? Consider spending more on a korean built guitar (schecter, LTD, etc) and only a few hundred on a BIAS amp sim and some monitors perhaps.

>claims Sup Forums is musically retarded
>recommends the worst containment board on this site with no musical taste or ability.

My vote is for a Jackson, they are great guitars for the price.

Personally I have an LTD V which I love, but if I were to buy another guitar today it would be a Jackson.

If you grow out of metal then you must be listening to garbage like hatebreed.

if he's planning on using a shit ton of distortion/fuzz/pedals in general then a tube might not be the best bet.

I've been playing for a long time and I've noticed that tube amps don't play nice with shit tons of effects mucking up the signal.

Anyway, I'd suggest a half stack if youre going tube and combo if you're going solid state. Jazz choruses are probably my favourite amp and it works well with just about every effect I can think of.

But I completely rewired it so it has two effects channels/"loops" and can be used with a separate mixer. They're very, very cheap too. I bought mine (It's the JC 120) for 250 USD a few years ago.

Check out rondomusic (I'm not sure if they'll ship to EU) - they're decent-ish guitars (better than epiphone/squier/low end fenders/gibsons) and are priced pretty low. I'd change all the hardware ASAP, but the pickups will be good for now.

But yeah, decent amp, good stomp boxes, and an ok guitar will do it.

Get the guitar set up, too. That and changing the hardware are the first things you wanna do when buying a budget-friendly guitar. Or just buy used.

I can't help much on genre specific guitars/amps since I really don't see the point in buying a guitar for a set genre. You can really play any genre on any guitar, it just depends on your ability and how much you're willing to tinker with either the p'ups or effects or both.

I've played in metal bands before and used a modified fender duo-sonic for most of it

My Ibanez RG350MDX had a super slim neck that made lead playing really easy. I miss that guitar, but I'd probably get something with a more robust neck and solid body for the stuff I play now.

At like 17.

It's possible to get a recording tone equal to an amp, but for playing it's pretty shit. You need to do a fuckton of postprocessing to get sims to sound good. Unless you get an Axe FX or something, but that's outside his budget.

After my 8th grade trip to Washington DC. Listened to Killswitch engage the whole trip and then when I got back never listened to metal again.

It's so cringy and bad.

A lot of things the newer metal dudes are doing is using a tubescreamer (or clone) with the tone all the way up, and drive all the way down in front of their amp as a boost. (Blues guys have been doing it for a long time) This lets you drive the input of the amp harder and requires less gain from the amp itself. Gives a tighter, less noisy sound. Combined with a noise gate you can get a really percussive punchy sound.

Killswitch Engage is pretty terrible, though.

What's cringy about this? The musicianship is far above most popular genres of music.

oops, forgot link
youtube.com/watch?v=WEuiZFb2wHY

>700yurobucks
>anything heavier than mild blues
Always Ibanez. They have the best quality for the dollar in sub $1000 guitars. If you're worried about the pickups (which aren't bad at all in Ibanez guitars) they are very cheap to replace (~$50-$150).

Get an epiphany led Paul studio and a Roland cube 40xl

You'll have decent fear and only be out 500 bucks when you give up in a couple weeks. It's also popular mid level gear so it's easy to resell

Gear, not fear

Get a little Randall Diavlo and some LTD with EMGs.

fuk u ufo is 20x betur dan ur fave artist

Personally, I'd go after a classic looking and playing instrument. I started playing guitar when I was a metal kid too. You'll eventually grow out of it and be left with a stupid 80's shred guitar.

Go for something timeless. Les Paul, strat, telecaster, etc. Telecasters and strats are incredibly versatile instruments and the Mexican models can be grabbed for a pretty good price used.

Go ask /gg/ on Sup Forums

Say no more

...or this one

>the Mexican models can be grabbed for a pretty good price used.
source

...and last, the rest don't matter

I "grew out of it" when I was around 19, in the sense that I stopped thinking it was the pinnacle of music and that you don't know shit about music unless you think the same.
Started listening to and enjoying all kinds of music, finding something interesting in (almost) all of it.
Still listen to metal once in a while though.

I'd dismiss the Jackson Kelly off the bat if you're looking for an upgrade to your first guitar. For one, it's not that much better than most bundle sets. More importantly, that shape means it won't fit traditional bags and cases adding to the cost despite being in a lower tier compared to the other two.

Now for the remaining two: go with whichever neck feels more comfortable to you. Jackson necks have a rounder C profile , while Ibanez tend to have a boxy--albeit thinner--D profile.

In terms of quality, the Jackson X series and the Ibanez 300-500 series are very close. The stock pickups in those two are also quite close (EMG pickups being good is usually in reference to their active line) so there's no reason to choose one over the other over these. Regarding the body wood, the RG will weigh more, but heaviness in a guitar's sound has more to do with the pickups, strings, and plectrum. As for being string-thru, that's just marketing--All three have their strings fed through the back of the guitar.

Amps, now that's another story. What sounds are you trying to replicate?

not yet, but i've grown out of your outdated meme already

not him, but i've been around since 2006 and i don't remember especially prolific music gear threads. more to the point, this isn't a good place to ask for help.

i would argue Sup Forums is the worst containment board on this site (aside from Sup Forums, which is a given)

For amps get either a used 5150/6505 or a new Panama.

As far as guitars, get the Ibanez. Jacksons are just wonky in my opinion.

I play since 10 years, rock/metal shit.
buy a ibanez, price/quality is awesome, change pickups if you want decent sound, and but a blackstar tube amp

When I turned 16. Now I'm listening to video games music.

This desu senpai. Playing metal gets embarrassing as you grow older unless you do it professionally. I ended up moving to Latin jazz and have absolutely no regrets about starting off with a Les Paul

Nah, it's just that if you have some gaudy piece of shit when you start to mature and your music tastes widen you'll look like a dumbass even when playing metal. Most of the best metal guitarists have used pretty boring looking of guitars. Of you really want something flashy, go for a custom paint job on a more traditional body shape.

What's Sup Forums's opinion on these?

Was thinking about switching to my PC for sound output since it sounds more versatile.

just gen a strat

ive been using my rocksmith usb guitar cable and playing through some speakers i've got hooked up to a little 500w desktop amp. i load up guitar rig and my stuff sounds pretty good ;)

Why not the solo?

Me. I walked into a GC and grabbed a MIM strat for $250. Put some David Gilmour pickups in it, upgraded the trem block, saddles, and nut, and this thing is easily my favorite guitar. I love it and ended up parting with a lot of my more expensive guitars.

Same guy here. Look into the Blackstar combo amps too. They're versatile and can cover a wide range of styles. Not very expensive, small enough to lug around for jams, and you'll be able to keep up with drums easily with a 20 watt tube amp.

I'm in metal for like ten years, and I don't think i'm going to stop yet.
I still have a lot of sub-gender and bands to discover and explore.

>(It's the JC 120) for 250 USD
That's awfully unrealistic in most cases, unless it's trashed with subbed speakers and transformers. In good condition they go for around 1000€ here.

That'd be what I get, that was just the first picture I found.

I didn't grow out of it. Metal died when Dimebag did.

>sub-gender

you should be serious rather than trolling. i grew out of metal when 16.
Nobody actually enjoys metal, hip-hop, trash, rap, or anything that falls into those two categories. it is all placebo.

i would recommend the marshal dsl40 but it's 600$ itself.
as for guitar, have a look at a Jackson but change the pickup's to emg or get a ltd and change its pickup's.

i officially gave up on metal when i was 18ish i think, the last band i discovered was strapping young lad and i transitioned into listening to electronic music thanks to aphex twin. i still listen to metal from time to time but very very rarely.
also gave up on playing guitar when i was 16 and began learning how to play piano in my early twenties.

>not listening to cartoon or videogame music

Or spend like around 100 dollaroos on a squire or some other cheap guitar and just update the hardware for like around $150. I plan on doing this with my Squier strat giving it noiseless pickups.

Tell me how Summoning and Iron Reagan belongs to the same music gender

>he never go to concert
Your anus is placebo

BIAS FX is actually pretty good. Sure, axefx is still better, but if I had to choose between a shitty amp like the line 6 beginner thing and BIAS I'd go for BIAS definitely. He can also play with the various tones and later buy an amp that suits his needs when he is a bit more experienced

I use a UR22. Heard the Scarlett preamps are wank and better used with a DI box, so I didn't bother. OTOH it's widely available for little money.

Used 5150/6505, new (or used as well) the Blackstar HT5 works for bedroom strumming but with a booster/OD to tighten it up, else it's muddy as hell. Works with a brighter guitar and pickups.

>Jackson
>Ibanzed
>Marshall

gross

I have that exact same one. Probably your best buy at that pricepoint. It's pretty good. Does exactrly what it's supposed to df.

Also kinda agree with all three posts: for playing, even a bedroom amp will perform better. For recording or copying a tone, BIAS FX indeed works, and in a mix the definite lack in low end will be less of an issue with the bass filling the space.

Also2, yes, it's better than a Marshall MG or a Line6 Spider, but considering how shitty these are it's not exactly a feat.

>he thinks tonewood matters for an electric guitar

I have to add, if you want a decent cheap modeling amp, buy the Fender Mustang v2. The sound is alright and you can hook it up via USB to record too

explorer bodies are sexy, but they're a pain in the fucking ass to store. standard floor stands do NOT play well with an asymmetrical body. You'll end up having to keep it in a bag or getting a wall mount for the neck which i do not trust at all.

For distortion I prefer the Vypyr series from Peavey. The cleans however are lacking. OTOH, for low gain, I feel the Valvetronix from Vox fare better (but their saturations are complete dogshit). The Mustang is the all-rounder in that category and definitively a decent option if you don't know what you like quite yet.

I own the Mustang and the cleans are really good. Also delay/ reverb-ish tones sound amazing. Distortion heavy tones are a bit unforgiving though, but you work on your muting they sound sweet too.

Epiphone LP Studio, $200 usb audio box, amplitube. This gives you an excellent guitar, and an almost unlimited sonic palette. You can even cheap out and get amplitube in the warez scene.

This is awful and mixed like pure shit.

b- but user, HOW DOES MUSIC HAVE GENDER?!

About 16 or 17. I only listened to Metal because my friends did. Back when I did this I had no particular interest in music at all. I just wanted some friends and felt that those were low maintenance enough. The whole long hair, bad hygiene and middle age bullshit seemed to fit my behaviour back then and I kind of enjoyed sticking out. Pretty soon it kind of backfired, I was bullied, specifically because of my long disgusting hair and how I clothed. I was stubborn as fuck, so I just went along with it. At some point I discovered the Beatles (of course I knew about them, but I never really bothered to listen) and realized that this kind of music had much more appeal to me, a much greater emotional impact. It seemed to talk about things I think about and not about some irrelevant fantasy bullshit or incoherent anger (I was never stupid enough to blame the whole world for my problems instead of myself). Cut my hair, bought real clothes, started taking hygiene more seriously and got a girlfriend. Now I mostly listen to classical music and some indie stuff.

Thanks for reading my blog and don't forget to subscribe!

It's genre not gender, my non-anglo friend.

Oops my bad, English isn't my first language

How is playing metal embarrassing?

Saved!

or buy a used fender MIM stand and do the same + minor fret polish

buy an orange micro terror with a cabinet.
and some bread eater fender (maybe tele) or an ESP/LTD les paul copy , while avoiding active pickups.
Dont fall for the flat neck memes, just go to a store and play some different guitars to see what neck is comfortable to you.
for example i found out that i love standard C shape after 3 years of playing my schecter (they have some kind of flat C shape, its not ibanez/jackson tier)
Focus more on the guitar properly tuning across the neck and after bends than string trough vs tremolo sound etc. the sound is not gonna get much better because of the guitar (however action/sustain/tuning may) if you have a shit amp.

it kind of does, as far as sustain goes. I wont say that tone is better or something, but sustain is a mechanical thing and comes from the guitar/neck shape/profile , and the density of materials. the same way as head/neck joint , or the bridge (but maybe in a way smaller way)
>inb4 someone posts the tonewood study that doesnt even use a fourier transform to analyze harmonics

go for the Kelly all the way. If you love your guitar you'll have it in a case, and if not, get a wall hanger, I use the Hercules P38, I guess that's the model.

Dinkys and Ibanez are for cucks sloppy seconds fanboys who go "oh mom look I can play at 400bpm without making a single harmony or melody"

Retarded question here, can I plug in a Microterror into an old amp I have lying around (like a pedal)?

>babby's first differential equations class

Ibanez RG 421. Don't get the matte black, the nice color wears off. It is nice and light. The stock picks sound quite good for the price. Ibanez guitars have thin necks, they are well oiled metal guitars for the money.

I wouldn't ever get a heavy guitar, enjoy your legs and shoulders die. For practice a light guitar is great.

Also this

>Killswitch engage
I can see why you got turned off

Marshall's are trash
Jacksons are gimmicky and make you look like a fag, but I've heard there decent playability wise.
Ibanez guitara are decent, there not the best but there definitely nice on a budget.