Just got in a shipment of 1000ft on-call rated cat6a cable

Just got in a shipment of 1000ft on-call rated cat6a cable.

Redoing my house network with it but I only need around 200 feet of it at most. Apart from making a couple crossover cables what can I use it for? Is anybody in my area in need of it? I'd be happy to help a broke Sup Forumsoer out.

In-wall rated*

Autocorrect is terrible.

I am knowledge- broke.

Is there any good reference between in-house rated and out-doors? My boss also mentioned a difference between data and electric cable when it comes to CAT5/CAT6.

My CCNA makes no mention of it so far in the books.

Thank you in advance for any sources or explanations of info.

Run the rest of it underground out to the forest and put a wifi AP out in the middle of nowhere see if anyone will connect to it then charge them for access and become your own ISP.

There are far too many places to point you to for information on cabling.

But in a nutshell there is no difference in cable if it says out door or in doors. It's purely cable quality. I've seen shitty outdoor cable that would deteriorate in a day and indoor cable that can survive a nuclear blast.

The cable I got has no shielding but is sturdy and has plastic liners on the inside for rigidity.

Search up shielded twisted pair and solid cat cabling.

The difference in cat levels is more along bandwidth and standardization. I chose cat 6 for higher bandwidth reasons.

Dude I just moved away from a wooded area into one of the busiest streets in town. Fug

I wish I knew about this stuff before running generic cat5e through my house.

Some points can only get 100mb

Nice I thoroughly appreciate that. I've been running straight throughs for a comapny as their sysadmin and we've been fine, but I definitely feel store bought 100% for anything that needs to meet a service level agreement.

You got a pair of tools or some software to test packet drop, OP/user?

> crossover cables..

You realize this isn't 1990s? They're not needed

You can use it to hang yourself, faggot

> Cisco
> mentioning things that matter

In wall for business it's just flame retardant

Cross over cables? What do you need one for these days? Do you have really old gear? Pretty much everything has been autosensing for 15 years or so.

No i don't but im sure they are easily searchable online. All I know is cat5e is poop for a house that has three consoles, two gaming PC's, 4 TV's all streaming at the same time as well as somebody on YouTube constantly. With two PC's, two consoles and two TV's all hardwired, bandwidth gets tight. The 550mhz upgrade from 200-250 in cat5e makes a big difference.

Yeah my last 120$ cat5e investment from Lowe's was a fucking bust. Garbage quality cable. Got 1000ft if high rated cable for 150 from Amazon. Haven't used it yet but the quality so far seems excellent. Can't imagine it's bad. Plus it's solid copper wire not copper clad aluminum.

It's easier to transfer shit from PC to laptop through Ethernet than any other way desu.

Why don't you just get a wireless router and use that besides cabling your house?

Wireless is not good enough for most high demand applications. A lot of devices don't support 5ghz channels yet or AC.

I have an Asus dual band AC router but only like two of my devices support it. Even if all of my devices supported it, 5ghz AC wireless still can't support 3 people gaming at the same time let alone throw in a torrent or two plus 2-4 streaming services like 4k Netflix which is -always- running in my room.

>2016
>crossover cables

This is why A+ and N+ aren't lifetime certs anymore

I have cat5e in my house and I have no problem hitting near wire speed at 1gb/s, even when going through multiple switches.

The best way to test your throughput is with iperf between two machines.

Wireless AC is faster than gigabit ethernet. Wireless AD even further destroys it. 10GbE or bust but I know you're not using up a PCI-E slot just to achieve that.

Why does everybody act like it's such an archaic method or a permanent setup to use crossover cables? It's easy as pie to tether two computers and transfer files. Faster than transferring between network devices to restricted folders and then doing a second transfer to another area and it's better than going from pc-usb-new PC.

It's just simple fast and effective.

Also i don't have a lifetime cert. I have a 1 year expired A+ cert that I agree is useless.

You don't need a crossover cable to do anything you just said retard. Do you even network?

Cat6a 550mhz -is- 10gb Ethernet. There are basically no devices on the market with AC cards either.

No networking apart from cabling standards, router/modem/switch types is all i really know. Could tell you basic topology theory but that's about it.

Give me an effective, fast and cheap way to transfer data from one computer to another at high speeds from one directory directly to my destination.

>Cat6a 550mhz -is- 10gb Ethernet

If you think you can magically get those speeds just because you're using the cable you're an idiot. Though it certainly explains the rest of your post.

>There are basically no devices on the market with AC cards either.

What year are you living in? AC is super common at this point.

>No networking apart from cabling standards, router/modem/switch types is all i really know

And you don't even understand that. How sad.

>Give me an effective, fast and cheap way to transfer data from one computer to another at high speeds from one directory directly to my destination.

A regular ethernet cable. You don't need a direct connection and a direct connection is unnecessary since all of your equipment should be gigabit in 2016. Just put them on the same network. This shit isn't rocket science.

Bro, it's 2016, all network gear auto detects cables. You don't need a cross over. You can connect a standard patch cable between two nics and it will work.

Back in the day nics weren't autosensing and you had to use crossover cables. This is not the case anymore.

You're an idiot.

Ethernet cables aren't just uses for Downloads you fuckstick.

If you truly believe that most consumer devices are released with AC cards you're fucking delusional.

At this point I've only discussed fact regarding cat6a specifications. You've heard me say nothing of anything else besides crossover cables.

Wireless transfer over the network of large files is not a practical or reliable method of data transfer. You're a retard whose probably only transferring a pirated movie to his mom's laptop on the weekends over his ISP provided modem.

I haven't tried to connect a regular T568B jack to two computers in 2~ years but when I died jack shit happened. You need to have a crossover to relay the data properly. Has it been that big of a change since then? I was only using dual Ethernet motherboard at the time though. No special dedicated NIC.

Where u @ sempai?

just lay more than one cable. even if you don't add sockets now, you could do it later.

>using cat6a magically makes my gigabit/fast ethernet network faster

Are you seriously arguing this while calling someone else an idiot? What recent consumer devices don't come with AC? But congrats on the ego you've developed based around a poor understanding of how networking works. That will really help you out when you break into the tech industry when you're old enough to work for Geek Squad.

>It's easier to transfer shit from PC to laptop through Ethernet than any other way desu.

ethernet controllers have been able to do crossover in software/firmware for years, you don't need a crossover cable anymore, a regular patch cable will do fine

>Wireless AC is faster than gigabit ethernet.

according to spec yes but you'll be hard pressed to find a router that doesn't shit the bed when nearing max bandwidth, never mind the speed drop across a few walls

814 area code

I have two devices currently in my office that im using. I'll be installing two more as well with some slack and leaving it in the wall for future purposes. Includes in my estimate of feet usage.

You're an idiot who can't comprehend basic English or technology obviously. All of my devices support 10gb Ethernet including my switch.

Are you having fun trying to bully people on an anonymous image board Mr basement hacker? Keep trying.

It seems this is the case. Which really changes nothing. Im still going to make a couple various lengths of cable for speedy file transfer.

YOU DON'T NEED A FUCKING CROSS OVER FOR THAT YOU FAGGOT PIECE OF SHIT IT'S NOT 1990S

Auto mdix

Have you considered including more rooms? like the loo or the bedroom?

>complains that AC isn't common
>somehow owns a bunch of 10GbE capable equipment

So have you missed the entire thread?

Would love to put a small TV in the bathroom but desu I already spend too much time on my phone shitting. Dont need to watch a full TV show.

>FireTV
>Any video game console
>Any laptop before November 2015
>Any TV before February 2016

Just because you're on a board that obsesses over the latest technology like wireless AX routers that aren't released doesn't make it a fucking standard. The world is barely on AC and is just getting off wireless n.

No I was the first one to l fucking tell this faggot that and he's like omg qq how to connect computers together then wut derp

>Would love to put a small TV in the bathroom but desu I already spend too much time on my phone shitting.
You know: the loo is the most creative place on earth ;)

What?

Have revelations on the toilet dude. I'm convinced every good idea ever was created on the loo

Fuck you. Auto mdix exists you racist

Why do you need a crossover cable if you have a switch?

My N router is still going strong and I have no plans of replacing it until it breaks.

If it's anything like plenum rated I think it has something to do with fire retardant or the chemicals used in the sheath being less toxic when it does burn. Can't have them firemen sucking in toxic gases in an enclosed environment and all that.

Are there any guides/techniques/tips on how to actually run the physical cables in a house?

just google, e.g. "ethernet cabling guide"

What you definitely will need is a "Network Ethernet Tester". But a cheap one for 10 bucks is good enough.

One thing to consider is the max. allowed bending radius for the cables, though this is more a problem for optical connections.

>You realize this isn't 1990s? They're not needed
what are you talking about crossover is needed L2 to L2 or L3 to L3, straightrough for L2 to L3

anywya, the fucking cable isn't croseed you noob, it's just one end is connected back to front

>he 550mhz upgrade from 200-250 in cat5e makes a big difference
you are talking so much levels of shit

>expired A+ cert that I agree is useless.
it's not useless

well done you

Make a bunch of 5m, 10m cables and sell them on ebay.

>retardant
fucking loominati

buy the filters

Isn't cat5e rated for 1 Gbps anyway ?

Make a noose

To absolutely clarify since there seems to be some borderline-retarded misunderstandings throughout this thread, crossover cables are 100% not necessary anymore as you can use any normal patch cable for the same purpose. Auto mdi-x is part of the GbE spec.

This is true for every piece of GbE gear I have ever come across but it is technically optional.

Please never crimp another one as I'm sick of finding them in cable boxes and fucking with old 100mbit equipment like ip phones

Like it was said before, crossover termination is not recommended for gigabit/10G networks. Modern NICs auto-sensing the cable pairs and auto-tuning the signals for minimal crosstalk.

Start an ISP.

>crossover cables
These are a thing of the pest user.
Everything is auto mdi-x

>making a couple crossover cables

You don't really need them unless you are dealing with old stuff which don't support auto MDI-X. It is part of the 1000BASE-T standard too.

Cat5e can do gigabit only if the cable lenght is short. You start to run into problems when you try to do gigabit over a long cat5e connection.

You only start to get attenuation at like 1000ft (i think). You will get close to gb if you are under that. If you are not getting above gb then 5e will be more than enough for very long runs. Of you can afford the cat6 then get it, but cat 5e is almost always going to work. No company would fuck it up that bad.

Could have sworn it was 100mhz for 5e and 250mhz for 6.

Never mind looked it up, it's 550mhz for 6 sorry.

Past*
They were a pest too though

You can tie a noose and hang yourself, OP.

I have seen cat5e not being enough for gigabit over 10+M connections but it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will exprerience the same thing.

Not really. That big gap in data transfer speeds really open up bandwidth. It's legitimately noticeable in day to day use when streaming buffering times are almost non existent and theres almost never lag on games or streams like Skype.

Just because you don't need the extra specs doesn't mean other people don't.

Meh, of you want the long version of how to build a computer for dummies I guess. My buddy got a sales rep position at best buy with his cert but he was told flat out that there's pretty much no chance it will get him into geek squad because it's never current enough.

Three releases in a row it released without the new versions of Windows being covered in addition to an entire chapter of the differences in FSB's and how to calculate the bits of a processor by counting the pins and shit. Who needs that.
More like max falloff is around 300 feet for cat6a and even less for cat5e.