Is CPP on another level as a programming language?

I am already familiar with java and C#.

Then now I'm trying to learn CPP and got one open source project to study.

First, the open source project didn't have a project to open in Eclipse or Visual Studio, only had some make files to build things. Wtf??? How can I even get the thing to run here?

Second, I opened some files on notepad++, WTF. I got no clue wtf is going on the file. There is so many stuff I have no clue what is, so complicated. I couldn't even find where the execution starts. Tried to find void main(), but no void main(). WTF?

Java and C# is so easy and simple and clean.

Is CPP really more difficult to lean or did I get one bad project that wasn't written to be friendly?

Other urls found in this thread:

doc.rust-lang.org/book/unsafe.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes, it's shittier than others.

Microsoft made everything overcomplicated. If you look at the source code of old C++ programs, they're a lot simpler. Regardless, it would be easier for you figure it out once you've gained enough experience in software development.

c++ is literally the worst language.

If you need performance, use C. If you need performance (not as much as C but still) and easier language, Go or Rust is the way to go in my opinion.

You should first make a simple program in cpp and try to make it compile on Linux and Windows. In your journey, you will understand a LOT of things that big open source are doing.

C++ does not have a standard framework like Java and C#. It does not impose OO, that's a choice.
It's 2016, stay away from C++ unless you have solid reason to use it.

kill yourself. you have no idea what C++ is or the usage of it. please stop writing any comment about any programming language.

>le use C xDD

enjoy your scalability. classical neckbeard with single person team, surprisingly has no idea how software development actually works.

Use fucking C++11 and strong libraries, you won't need anything else if you know what you are doing. Of course it doesn't have the same usage as C# or Java.

But performance & maintainability = C++11. You have no other option.

C++ is on another level. It's the only fast language where you can express concepts on a high level and keep your boilerplate under control. There's C, but it's crude and error-prone in comparison. And there's assembly, but that's even worse. C++ has no other competition, and never will.

This. Unless you destroy unix and change the paradigm, C++ will not have a competitor, assuming you're not programming embedded or OS.

>strong library
wtf does that even mean? strong to whom?
>maintainability = C++
do you even know what maintainable means?

boost
libev
qt
sdl

great libraries & APIs.

>enjoy your scalability.
Linux has almost 19 million lines of code and they're still doing fine.

There was a time in school where I was learning c++ and java at the same time. From the beginning it was easy to see that Java was somehow easier, even as a complete nub. "It just werks" is fucking right as far as Java is concerned. There's less flexibility with the syntax as compared to C++, and the whole pass by value thing only is a double edged sword. However, the rigid format of Java also allows for less mistakes and easier code creation.

ITT: people who only know one language.

>void main()

>Linux
>exploiting gullible users for testing imperative ad-hoc code to eventually sell it back in some hardware gadget, since 1990
ok

Read a fucking book nigger.

>int main(char *argv[], int argc)

pleb

>Is CPP on another level as a programming language?
yes, consider yourself lucky that you know java and C#.

Cpp is quite a world change if you're just getting into it. I recommend to start easier so you understand the main concepts. Try to make a simple program in C and then learning how to use makefiles and how object files, linking etc works.

C++ is on another level not because of the speed, but because of its pointers and ability to implement complex data structures (IMO). Boost for everything else.

> qt
> great

how about you work on an actual project instead of learning new languages for no good reason

>told and rekt
>damage control
ok

R-Rust?

C++ is for the libraries.

c++ = shit

learn JavaScript or Rust

lol
>no libraries
>no ides
>not backwards compatible with c
>no headers
>no separate compilation
>cant write unsafe programs
>your code gets controlled buy sjws
>interface based programming is inherently slower than real templates
c++ is the best at its own game, rust is not even a player

>JavaScript
>Programming
Choose one

> implying anything else is better

>no libraries
there's a decent amount of libraries for how young the language is, many bindings available for commonly used C libraries
>no ides
they're working on more than one i believe and either way vim/emacs/vscode etc are all pretty well supported for rust development
>not backwards compatible with c
so? it's a new language
>no headers
that's a good thing
>no separate compilation
what do you mean by this
>cant write unsafe programs
blatantly false doc.rust-lang.org/book/unsafe.html
>your code gets controlled buy sjws
ok kid xd
>interface based programming is inherently slower than real templates
idiomatic rust is faster than idiomatic c++

The Rust plugin for IDEA words pretty good

>they're working on it
That's a looter's excuse. Never trust anyone who makes you wait for something. Successful people only have two things to say about the work you give them: "I'll do it" and "it's done."

Javascript is really good and is the best language

You laugh at it now but in 10 years when 99.9% computers and servers will use nodeOS we'll see the clear winner

I'll forever associate JS with front end script shit

get a load of this coding buttcamp graduate

Best noob book to learn C++?

b-but i finished university

you still wanna learn it after this thread?

C++ is a good programming language.
You can pick the paradigm that fits the problem.

It is fast like C and safe like java.

It can be as verbose as java, but it is much more complete.
Stuff like operator overload makes java seem like unusable garbage compared to c++.

C++ is not that much more difficult.
I suggest that you start with using an IDE, QtCreator is great for new users.

the main function returns an int, but it might have arguments so it looks like this:

int main(int argc, char* argv[]){
return 0;
}

This is so you can pass arguments to the applications and keep track of how many arguments with the argc.

It could also be a plugin or library you were looking at, then there would be no main function.

>operator overload
I love C++, but this is cancer.

>C++ is not that much more difficult.
it is, just read some real world C++ code like OP

operator overloads is essential if you do anything that uses math. It is easier to read and easier to write.
I have, obviously it takes more time to work on bigger projects, but you can still read it.

>can't program without a VS/Eclipse project all set up for him
Pajeet pls, GTFO back to C#

>everything C has
>also has classes, templates (yes they're ugly, but they're a necessary evil), a huge standard library
>is an actual language and not some meme language like Go or Rust
Why do people who put down C/C++ always put forth their shit-tier languages and ignore the fact that C++ is actually used and useful?

How bad is it that I never bothered to learn an IDE (not counting Dr Racket and one I created for a toy language)? The few times I've tried to open eclipse for a project it looked confusing and not really worth my time to figure out when I could be focused on programming. I figure much of the "real world" will have me working in IDEs

C++ is hard because you can do literally anything in it - embedded, low-level, functional, OOP...
It does have a few downsides but at the end of the day C++ is probably the language of choice for both academics and practical use.

As long as you can write cmake, I don't think anyone cares

C++ is for god tier only.
If you can't handle it go back to java or visual basic.

> Implying it is better because there is nothing better

This one.

C++ is very big, general purpose language. It can do everything, but in every domain there is atleast one language that is just better than c++. Except for gamedev.

It's faster than java. C# is a meme language.

you can learn both java and C# faster than you would just the basic c++ and then there's the stl monster

c++

c++ suck

Well, I have a program I want to write using an API in C++ so I don't have much choice.

this shall suffice

2/4

3/4

4/4

>C++ lambdas
>A LITERAL FUCKING BOX

truly the ugliest language of the C family

C++ lambdas are the fastest of any language available at the time. Stop complaining shitty programmer.

>C++ is not that much more difficult.
template
struct tag_node_query
{
template
struct apply
{
using stat_tag = typename TheTagNode::tag;
using type = std::integral_constant
<
bool,
BoolFunc<
typename StatTagFunc::type,
StatTagArgs...
>::value
>;
};
};

You're an idiot.

With this cheat sheets, some reading about shared_ptr and unique_ptr and you are good to go OP.

Remember to put header guards into headers. Otherwise you get compilation errors.
#ifndef __MYFILENAME_H__
#define __MYFILENAME_H__
.... code
#endif

>undefined behavior
user...

>Notepad++

I will never understand the people who use this thing for programming. I mean, I also have it installed because notepad.exe is too stupid to understand linebreaks, but I certainly don't edit anything with it.

This isn't even remotely normal C++ code

It's like posting the business card raytracer and using that to knock on C++

Sorry didn't know you were using Turbo C++.

>not using Rust for fearless concurrency in your gamedev

try #pragma once

Just realized it's called C++ because it's supposed to be the second version of C.

I'm a CS grad.

>I don't know C++

And C# is C++ ++ with the pluses stacked on top of each other

C++ tries to do everything, and do it more or less in a broken way just to keep the C syntax. Yet, it's not going away anytime soon.

>Within C++, there is a much smaller and cleaner language struggling to get out.
- Stroustrup, also adding that this language is neither Java nor C#

found the js cucks

OO

Supported on MSVC, GCC and ICC but not standard.

On the contrary.
In 10 years PCs will be running either MacOS or Android.

fuck

You know, Android is just a different process scheduler and loader on top on Linux.

Pretty much that.
While C# tries to be both C++ and Java, yet still managed to be worst of both worlds.

Another blue pilled gulliber

in music it means half a note higher so like C 1.5

But it's a JVM.
Hell, it's closer to Solaris than it is to Linux.

>everything C has
Was 20 years ago.

rust is good, i agree

pc's running macos is a really good thing

>I want to type a function call every time I multiply two matrices
Nope. It doesn't make it more readable either.

how's c++ primer 5th edition?

Already old

What would you recommend then? PPP is fairly large... Primer looks better and I don't think I even need to be writing C++ 14 code anyway...