/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
Leaked Nexus Sailfish build file hints at Snapdragon 820 and 1080p display
gsmarena.com/leaked_nexus_sailfish_build_file_hints_at_snapdragon_820_and_1080p_display-news-19587.php

More Moto E3 specs revealed, coming in August
gsmarena.com/more_moto_e3_specs_revealed_coming_in_august-news-19586.php

Samsung Galaxy J2 Pro goes official, doubles the storage
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_j2_pro_goes_official_in_india_doubles_the_storage-news-19594.php

Teaser reveals Lenovo K5 Note variant with 4GB RAM
gsmarena.com/teaser_reveals_lenovo_k5_note_india_variant_will_have_4gb_ram-news-19585.php

Upcoming Sony Xperia F8331 flagship phone poses in Black for a pair of leaked shots
phonearena.com/news/Upcoming-Sony-Xperia-F8331-flagship-phone-poses-in-Black-for-a-pair-of-leaked-shots_id83504

ZTE AXON 7 REVIEW
androidauthority.com/zte-axon-7-review-704039/

ZTE Axon 7 Review!
youtube.com/watch?v=zBui2-IMMPU

[Deal Alert] B&H, Best Buy, and Newegg offer up to $130 off the Nexus 5X, $100 off the 6P
androidpolice.com/2016/07/24/deal-alert-bh-best-buy-and-newegg-offer-up-to-130-off-the-nexus-5x-100-off-the-6p/

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.xda-developers.com/r1-hd/how-to/blu-r1-hd-t3418354
technobuffalo.com/reviews/moto-z-review/
technobuffalo.com/reviews/moto-z-force-review/
phonearena.com/news/Prisma-app-for-Android-gets-updated-fast-with-a-Save-button-for-your-photos-turned-artworks_id83508
get.cm/?device=oneplus3
gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_5c-8074.php
recombu.com/mobile/article/huawei-google-nexus-6p-long-term-review-nine-months-2016
aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-3-Pro-Prime-3S-4100mAh-Fingerprint-Snapdragon-616-Octa-Core-Mobile-Phone-3GB/311331_32641733127.html
amazon.com/BLU-R1-HD-Exclusive-Lockscreen/dp/B01H2E0J5M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Few more that couldn't fit in:

The $60 Amazon Phone, the Blu R1 HD, gets TWRP and root access in less then a month.
forum.xda-developers.com/r1-hd/how-to/blu-r1-hd-t3418354

Moto Z review: The mods can’t save this one
technobuffalo.com/reviews/moto-z-review/

Moto Z Force review: A gorgeous powerhouse
technobuffalo.com/reviews/moto-z-force-review/

Prisma app for Android gets updated fast with a 'Save' button for your photos turned artworks
phonearena.com/news/Prisma-app-for-Android-gets-updated-fast-with-a-Save-button-for-your-photos-turned-artworks_id83508

Reposting, has anyone used CyanogenMod on the Moto X Play? Is it good?

Best rom for OP3 ?

I don't want to go try&error.

I want the best out of the given hardware.
If I don't use the phone, I want it go hardcore energy saving, but I don't want it to throttle if I am using it heavily.
Also any software that really utilize the camera better than stock?

Are there any good new phones with styluses? The Galaxy Note meme is actually pretty convenient.

I mediatek really that bad?

Should I get the iPhone SE or wait until the iPhone 7 comes out?

>OnePlus 3 gets Official Nightly Builds of CyanogenMod 13
get.cm/?device=oneplus3

See pic related.

>ZTE Axon 7 Review!
>youtube.com/watch?v=zBui2-IMMPU [Remove]
So is the Axon 7 looking pretty good? As long as that bootloader is unlocked, I think it's a definite buy for me with its features.

>mr mental illness man posted it again

The camera is rather disappointing compared with the OP3.
Also video recording is rather bad, the OIS is worse than OP3, also autofocus is too slow.

Battery life is worse than OP3.

ZTE is not renowned for its software support, and the community outsides of China is pretty much non-existing.

Is there any hope for Sony phones?

>Samsung looks like shit and has lagwiz
>Nexus has no SD card
>chinkshit doesn't last
>sony phones felt perfect and and worked flawlessly but their mobile division is fucked

I'm just trying to help you out man. iPhones just plain fucking suck. I should know, I used to own one.

They're the only manufacturer that are actually improving battery tech so I really hope they don't give up now.

They just need to improve their fucked up camera software and stop being jews with pricing and built quality.

Hey what do I upgrade to from a HTC Desire S? I don't know anything about phon.

gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_5c-8074.php

Talk me out of getting this.

Why does Android suck so much Sup Forums?
Give me one reason why I should get an iPhone 6S and jailbreak it.

>be me in 2012
>get Galaxy S3
>Samsung Bloat
>lags
>gets hot
>battery life sucks (3h SoT)
>flash Cyanogenmod
>Camera and some other stuff stop working properly

>be me in 2015
>get LG G4
>LG Bloat
>still lags but less
>heavy games run like crap (PokemonGO)
>gets hot
>battery life is a bit better but still suck(4h SoT)
>flash Cyanogenmod
>Camera becomes shitty

Meanwhile
>iPhone
>It just werks

First smartphone

I take a photo
what is the quickest way to get it to my PC?
What do you use?

Moto G4 y/n? Are the overheating issues true or overblown? How is it compared to Moto X Play?

i just plug the charging cable into the computer and do it that way

is there even another way aside from uploading it/emailing it?

yeah, I do that too, but it seems kinda non modern

Posted this in /sqt/ but figured I'd ask here.

Does anyone remember how to downgrade an HTC One DE?

I have one and I want to downgrade with an RUU. I have S-OFF and everything, do I just run the RUU?

This isn't me.
It's supposed to be a gift for my niece, she hates Android as much as you hate Apple.

yeah theres probably some newer way. i barely ever use my phone for pictures anyway

Nexus 6P worth using? Looking to get a new phone in a couple of months, considering using the Google fi service instead of Verizon. Anyone use Google fi and have opinions? And is the Nexus 6P a good choice?

I'd say yes, as long as it's not the garbage ads version

It's not hotter than my LG G3 was at least

I would buy oneplus3 over nexus 6P
but its fine annyway
recombu.com/mobile/article/huawei-google-nexus-6p-long-term-review-nine-months-2016

Both don't have a micro sd slot lmao.

Is S5 Neo alright?
Sorry...

aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-3-Pro-Prime-3S-4100mAh-Fingerprint-Snapdragon-616-Octa-Core-Mobile-Phone-3GB/311331_32641733127.html

bluetooth

Well, I don't give THAT much of a shit about the camera/video since they function decent, but the review's testing said about 4.5-6 hours battery. Which isn't really that bad.

It's mostly ROM support/updates I'm concerned about.

Didn't some of the ZTE phones get Marshmallow at a good pace?

Any Lenovo Vibe X3 owners?

>get s7
>battery lasts 2 days
>camera is amazing
>no lag
>never gets hot e ven when fast charging
>can't flash but who cares, it works great as it is

google drive maybe?

Whats a good second burner phone, that is non-shit, but not expensive.

moto e

depends how not expensive
i see a $200 phone as not expensive, but you may be looking just at the under $50 category or something

Why would you? Stock, works perfectly fine.

It's definitely a second burner phone, so very cheap yes.

Texts/calls/whatsapp/kik. That's about all.

I'd say a old moto E, beyond that is shit probably still running sub-4.4.

amazon.com/BLU-R1-HD-Exclusive-Lockscreen/dp/B01H2E0J5M

some sponsored shit? You can root that thing as of today, too

I'm thinking of buying an lg g5 at $400? are there any better phones around this price?

Should i get a Xiaomi Mi5 or are there better/cheaper phones with superior specs?
Would it be better to wait a few weeks for a potential pricedrop with Wednesday's RedMi Note 4 reveal?

Is ~380$ the right price for the Xiaomi Mi5 64GB? It seems a bit expensive, I wonder if it's going to go down a bit any time soon.

G5 seems very hit or miss. Complains about the build, the modules, and other issues. I'd say wait for the Axon 7 if you prefer a mSD slot, and wait for the Nexus phones if not.

Well, just look at how many freaking phones ZTE is bringing out besides the ZTE Axon 7.

It's only reasonable if they cannot focus on this device like manufactures that focus on 2-3 devices for 1 year.

The OP3 here is even only 1 device each year, massive software support by Devs and community.
It's so important.

The Axon 7 cannot record 60fps @ 1080p?

Well, that's kinda weak.

Great phone, if it weren't for the lack of LTE bands.

But they don't give a fuck about Western costumers, it's not their targeted market.

>lack of LTE bands
>Western costumers
>implying

I'm almost a next door neighbor to China, none of those are problems for me.

AMA

>ZTE: 15 devices in 2016
>LG: 18 devices in 2016
>Samsung: 19 devices in 2016
I dunno if that's really a good metric for evaluating its support. You'd have to look at the history. To be fair though, it depends on how much they want to support the U.S market.

Well, LG and Samsung are fucking HUGE companies.

ZTE cannot compare in any sorts regarding available resources.

Well, who knows. It all depends on that bootloader being unlocked, because otherwise we won't see anything custom come out of there if android N falls though on it.

I'm going to be buying a chinkphone with its sole purpose being Pokémon Go, what should I get for ~$100?

Well, how it is?

I bought a new sony phone (well, it's not actually /new/ but whatever)

So anyway, what's an efficient way to remove the bloatware on my xperia SP? I updated it to 4.3 with Flashtool and rooted it, and it's running prettty fucking nicely for now, but I still want to remove the useless apps.

Using a file manager and deleting the system apks seems to leave some files left from the system apps - in the dalvik cache location and in the /data/data folder. Is there something that can remove the apps, AND the leftover files?

pokemon go performs terribly on even extremely high end devices
so i would never buy a phone just for it 2bh

Really? I'm very used to install CyanogenMod. Supposedly, it also kicks a notch up on the performance.

Well I like playing it and can't play it on my phone, so I'm getting a phone for it.

What's the possibility that the Blu R1 actually gets CM13? Isn't it the case that nobody has ported anything to a Mediatek processor?

Is it bold, like them?

which phone do you have?

I know this is a shill video

but the Axon 7 looks too good on paper for the price. What's wrong with this phone?

BlackBerry Q10

I'd wait for the 7 at this point, it's only a month out.

budget?

blu r1

get a blu r1

I'm shopping around this price range, and been thinking about getting a one plus 3, but this is making me doubt it.

camera is shit tho

see and pic related

I actually have an iPhone 6s as we speak but I'm getting rid of it and upgrading to an S7 soon. Fuck apple.

Cheapest 64 bit ARM processor phone with 2gb ram?

Yeah that might be so, but I find that phone cameras are already pretty good, when I look at shot comparisons, let's say, betweenthe iphone s6 and op3 I can't really spot many differences and I think I use my phone's camera less than the avarage person anyways.

I usually don't document everything I eat, post pictures of myself on social media and stuff like that and it rarely occurs to me to take a picture of something. I think I took 4 pictures in this year so far. Once when I found a wild hedgehog and 3 were for ads when selling old stuff.

ZTE V3 is good

zte warp elite. Got mine for $80 on amazon.

What's the best phone with an acceptable/good camera, decent battery life, and non-laggy performance?

that's great, thanks babes xx

>be me
>early 2015
>research trip abroad
>meet this fiiiine chick
>hook up
>try to take pics for memory and fap material later
>realize my aging s duos's camera is garbage and scratched to shit
>cri

You will need a good camera and for fuck's sake take care of those camera lens

My iphone 6s fell 20 cm and now there's a small crack on the screen, fragile piece of shit. Is it possible to repair the screen on your own?

About to upgrade from iPhone 5S

Should I go for Galaxy S7 or HTC 10? S7 has better camera and screen, but htc 10 is more durable, not bloaty, usb c, and unlocked bootloader. I want a nexus but contract.

HTC 10

Is this shit safe? I've upgraded from a Micro to a Nano and I don't want to pay for a new sim if I can do it myself, but I'm having doubts about the actual process.

Any frugal fags here rocking old phones? What's your favorite old phone that won't give up the ghost and still works well?

Anyone?

I'm getting a nexus 6 to side grade from my droid turbo since I'm tired of no software support, bad screen burn in, and a locked down phone

Any recommendations for what I should do when I get it? Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday

I ask because I'm thinking of buying a secondhand Galaxy Note 3 since they seem to be affordable yet incredible for how old they are now.

I'm sure it's fine. just be careful...

That's what I've been thinking. So many people rock samsung that I figured there had to be a reason but it seems that it's just brand recognition and HTC and LG failing to really compete for the most part.

Could anyone recommend a ROM for Moto X Pure?
Or do I just get Ciano?

Samsung are Apple 2.0

Pretty fucking nice for a budget phone, camera is obviously not good but good enough with enough light, the screen is surprisingly fantastic

Worst part is definitely the charging speed, it doesn't have any form of quick charging

Why do people want quick charging? It just kills your battery.

I just had to check the ZTE website and they say it does both 30fps and 60fps at 1080p. It only can't do 60fps at 4k

We won't know until it comes out. The Chinese variant has a bad camera, in many ways worse than OP3 and is known to throttle similar to some of the other SD820 devices but is otherwise supposedly really great,
The US device is meant to come out with some hardware changes (capacitive buttons) and updated software because ZTE is desperate to look good in the US market.
Also keep in mind ZTE normally sells the Axon 7 for $450 in China but had to drop the US price to $400 because they wouldn't be able to compete with OP3 otherwise.
This phone can be god tier or crap, and we won't know until the US version comes out.

I had to do this to switch from a standard sim to microsim and it works fine for me. Only problem was that it takes a lot of precision to get it to sit snug in a phone's sim tray so I had to glue it to my OPO's tray out of frustration.

Most modern phones can't really last a full day of heavy use.

y do you hate yourself

I don't own a OP3 but the kernel handles the throttling and CPU frequencies and governors.

Androids suck worse, I know I currently own one

After my only 7 month old chinkphone decided to die on me, getting a refurbished iPhone 5S. Have never owned any iDevice, so I thought I'll give them a try. Even though am biased against them, at least my opinion will be informed in the future. (also it was cheap and I needed a phone soon) Should be delivered any day now.

I have heard one should not update to the latest iOS... it's supposed to be slow as fuck to force you to upgrade your device. How much truth is in that assertion, and what's the latest os version that works ok?

I've been using android since smartphones because a thing and had this edgy hate for Apple phones because of Sup Forums until I borrowed my friends iPhone 6s earlier this year and I'm buying one as soon as my contract is up.