Sup Forums

Sup Forums

I like loonix just as much as the next guy, but are there any REAL alternatives to Microsoft Word besides Libre/Open office?

Libre is fine for a short 5 page paper, but with larger 50+ page papers the footnote/formatting systems fall apart.

I'd hate to have to dual boot every time I need to write a longer paper for grad school.

>inb4 latex

Install gentoo

>50+ page papers the footnote/formatting systems fall apart.
Really? How so?

Use LaTeX you fucking degenerate.

LaTeX

Footnotes have autistically large numbers and spaces between them when saving and editing in .docx format. Editing these ends up breaking their order and the in-paper formatting.

Because of having to transfer files between personal/school computers for printing and sharing with professors .docx is necessary.

no, as you appear to be a functioning human with actual work to be done you'll be wanting to use windows or osx and not some meme hobbiest shit

chinese botnet wps, "free" as in they don't charge you
office 2010 in wine
office in the browser
office in a vm

Office Online?

It's by MS so I can't imagine it breaking formatting.

Also, LaTeX.

>are there any REAL alternatives to Microsoft Word besides Libre/Open office?
Use org mode. It supports inline LaTeX and can export to .doc via .odt with quality output.
Honestly senpai you need to get your shit together. Grad school is way too late to start using grownup authoring tools. Org mode has your back. Learn it, live it, love it.

>office 2010 in wine
this

LaTeX srsly

Show a screenshot

>he works using office
nice microsoft education you got loser

>Libre is fine for a short 5 page paper, but with larger 50+ page papers the footnote/formatting systems fall apart.

Wait a minute, you actually use word for anything more than a short 5 page paper?
Are you retarded?

I will refrain from using any more insults as I am aware that they wouldn't help, but do yourself a favour and simply learn latex.

>professors
> .docx

are you going to school for retards?

don't worry m8 your desktop is still way l33ter than mine. thats the most important thing right???

>so you actually want to USE your computer.. well then you'll have to learn _______

linfags will defend this

>vm

Not a bad idea actually. If I had a more powerful laptop that wasn't running a 1st gen mobile i5 I'd do it.

>wine

How stable is word in wine? Can't have that shit crashing while writing.

>browser

Can't use offline which is pretty cuckworthy. But if I had a small windows partition for offline editing then that could work.

LaTeX would be fun to learn as a hobby, but when I have actual work to do I want to open up a program and start writing without having to think about anything else other than the paper I am trying to write.

This was a few months ago, I've cleared the partition and work files since.

Word has a lot of useful tools for longer papers that have multiple chapters and a table of contents. Combining multiple text documents into a single large paper and then exporting to .pdf is pretty effortless.

>good job with the excel sheet you did dude, you are truly the most valuable person in this company

If you're writing academic shit go /LaTeX/, there's literally no reason not to.

Google Docs is fine, as long as you don't mind the botnet and writing everything in a browser.

>50+ page papers in Word
God, I've had to do this for teamwork. It was a fucking mess:

>merging changes was basically impossible. Had to keep two copies open and copy-paste paragraphs.
>changing paragraphs on different locales caused incompatible semantic tags
>changing semantic tags was tedious and manual because WYSIWYG
>due to shitty file locking, had to split document into pieces
>couldn't add cross-piece references
>document ended up looking inconsistent and shitty because no enforced standard of spacing after headlines and shitty page break algorithm

What a fucking mess. With SVN+Latex, it all just werked, and anything that didn't could be changed or detected with shell oneliners.

good god no, who would defend learning things? it's important you never learn anything past 8th grade and stagnate as a human being

Surely Word is superior to LibreOffice, but LyX is godtier. It compiles in LaTeX.

Actually Microsoft Office in its current state is worse than Libreoffice, as they've made the UI consistent with Windows 8/10 and it also is a service now, rather than the traditional buy the software for 3 licenses or so.

Yeah it definitely is - should have clarified that I'm really only referring to 2010

Just make a Windows VM, with no network access outside of the VM, install Office, and use it in there for the shit you just absolutely, positively can't do without it.

Alternatively, there are some Office versions that will run under WINE. cba to go look it up.

>How stable is word in wine? Can't have that shit crashing while writing.
You should be saving your work all the time if you don't want to lose it anyway.

Obviously. Shit still happens though .