Could a hacker really collapse the banks and wipe away all debts?

i have no idea how banks work, could that ever conceivably happen?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/world/2014/may/23/chile-student-loan-debts-fried-potatoes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

if such a thing was possible, I would totally support it even though I'm a capitalist. At least in my country, once you're in debt to the state, it's close to impossible to get out of it unless you try really hard or are lucky. So yeah Mr. robot go for it.

A bit curious about this too. I've never heard of a bank anywhere "forgetting" what customers balances are.

What do you mean by 'all the debts'?

They have backups of all the information. Probably paper records too. It would be an inconvenience but in the end it would do nothing.

Of course, its Greece's end game.

This. Maybe a lot if down time in the beginning. Pretty sure the have most in cold storage.

That's what happened to Citibank just 3 years ago.

they have physical backup of all the data

what if someone explodes a bomb there?

SPOILER ALERT
his real name is Dubidikos Eliotos Halkadiki

Nope

We would just return to paper slips and checks and calling people on the phone

t. Banker

Do you think the Internet and the Bank is located in only one place?

Lurk moar and go shitpost on

do tell more friend

>We would just return to paper slips and checks and calling people on the phone
if you had everything that was wiped in paper. If you don't have that in paper and everything is wiped, then what?
The point in the series is that they wipe everything and the backups and they are stumbling around because they don't know who owns or has what.

>if you had everything that was wiped in paper.
they do

OP just go back to Sup Forums. This is pathetic

short answer: no
long answer: nope
personal answer: cuck :o)

not all the banks (worked in one that relied a lot in digital and ancient systems) and not absolutely everything and it's even worse with each year that goes by. Still I don't think you could wipe everything since shit isn't located in just a couple of places.

God this show has become such a pile of shit, I just finished watching episode 1 of season 2. I can't fucking stand any of the characters anymore, and there's too much Fight Club.

In theory: yes
In practice: no

And by that I mean that under any imaginable scenario within the realm of reality no, it is not possible.

yeah, it's not making another season for sure. iirc it was supposed to be a movie, so it explains why only the first episodes of 1st season were good.

Theoretically possible: Yes.
Likely to ever happen: Simple answer is no, almost impossible and the likelihood of a successful occurrence is probably less than the most obscure fraction of saw 1% (may be I'm being over the top here).

Explanation for the likely event that it actually happens would be that not all banks would be affected the same, the teams performing the malicious attack against the banks would be far larger than that of this drama (obviously) and there would be as many successes and failures in such attacks against banks as there are victories and defeat in actual wars both past and present (not necessarily in exact numbers but there is a very similar perspective to be had).

It would also be obvious that some banks require more teams than others regardless of size or other characteristics (simple point is not all banks will fall consistently or might not fall at all) and such cyber warfare would increase the value of cyber security where exploiting flaws will likely become increasingly more difficult.

Well that is as much as I prefer to post.

Could 1 man really go to the moon and walk there?

Could man really fly above the land and travel across the ocean on heavier than air vehicles?

This is not a question of IF but rather a question of resources.

they store all their records on the banks owner anim external drive

If he solves P = NP, then yes it's very possible imo

Cos, you haven't gone crazy on me, have you?

>Wipe away all debts
>Bank no longer has money to give out
>Everyone's balance magically becomes 0

And thats how you get the Great Depression

Even if you could get access to their servers and wipe the data, they would just restore it from the shit load of off site backups that they have.

It is possible. You just have to take the expanded definition of "hacker".

Nothing a few hundred pounds of C4 can't do if placed right.

"Hacking" is never limited to a bit of malicious code on a computer or other device.

Social engineering (conning or fraud for example) and physical brute force (explosives, fire power, etc) also have their place when used appropriately under this definition and can be used for a greater deception or re-purpose of something or someone.

no even a lot of downtime. This shit is backupped to the hell like 3+ times where each level is raided and distributed. You can revert shit in seconds, or deploy brand new VMs in minutes, the disaster recovery plans and tools can replicate everything basically instantly. This is in manufacturing, so banks probably have it even better.

No.

A hacker and a lot of arsonists however...

>not understanding macroeconomics

Worked doing SANs for a bank, literally not going to happen.

Account Details and Balances are literally the life-blood of a bank.

Data is stored in tiers, you have live data, then production data, then recent archival, then long term storage, and lastly physical media storage.

Each of those systems is a robust SAN (usually EMC based) with lots of redundancy and often separate physical back-ups. Generally each of those tiers has different levels of access control. Nobody I've ever heard of ever had access to more than two tiers of storage.

Typically older information would go on either magnet tape (yep still used) or CD and sent of to secure storage facilitates. This is usually on a cycle since the physical media can be reused and you only have so much space.

Back-ups basically work by flowing up the chain, at the ABSOLUTE best, if you somehow took out ALL the SANs you could cause a bank to stop work for a day tops. Records from that day would be a crap shoot of course (ie the Live and Production Data), but you aren't wiping out balances.

in the show they destroyed the tape backups as well.

It might be possible if just attacking one bank only, but for all debt to be erased, all money systems must be unified; since that is not a reality, it's not possible. In order to achieve what Mr. Robot plots, you would have to plan as many attacks as banks and money systems are out there worldwide. So it's not a apossibility right now, but it might be when all monetary systems become digitally unified in like 20 - 30 years, maybe even less time.

>At least in my country, once you're in debt to the state, it's close to impossible to get out of it unless you try really hard or are lucky. So yeah Mr. robot go for it.
Do you realize that people might, at some point, owe you money and you are being fucked over by some random scriptkiddy with no moral compass? E-Corp is a stylistic device, in real live, companies consist of people who have children who want to go to college and mortgages to pay. Collapsing the system is not going to create a dreamy wonderland.

Haha. No.

Next best thing is to incite mass panic that results to economic collapse.

One of my biggest issues is that you aren't going to do that, the Bank doesn't store the tape back-ups, outside contractors like Iron Mountain do, the Bank I worked for used SEVERAL tape back-up companies based on what the region that data center was in.

Like I said above, you can't erase it, the BEST you could do is make the bank stop working for a day and makes IT/IS pull a lot of overtime.

I worked at a major Canadian Bank (one of the big 4). Their internet security was pathetic and they were attacked multiple times a day, usually something small though. It was so bad sometimes that our VPN would be down and could not transfer files to anyone and would have to put files on a USB and use the mailroom to bring them to who needed them. That being said, yes it is plausible to get in there and totally annihilate the bank...but they will know EXACTLY where it came from. Every time someone got into the system, they knew where it came from (China, Russia, and Middle-East countries), basically any country bank employees are told not to do business with.

This is why banks are looking to implement their own blockchain tech

To prevent attacks

It has happened before, on smaller and less technological scale:
theguardian.com/world/2014/may/23/chile-student-loan-debts-fried-potatoes

File: download.jpg (5 KB, 318x159)
5 KB
could a hacker really collapse the banks and wipe away all debts? Anonymous 07/25/16(Mon)22:24:03 No.55752874 [Reply]▶ i have no idea how banks work, could that ever conceivably happen?

+37 replies and 2 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
Anonymous 07/26/16(Tue)01:10:04 No.55755130▶

Haha. No.

Next best thing is to incite mass panic that results to economic collapse.

>>
Anonymous 07/26/16(Tue)01:10:37 No.55755135▶

One of my biggest issues is that you aren't going to do that, the Bank doesn't store the tape back-ups, outside contractors like Iron Mountain do, the Bank I worked for used SEVERAL tape back-up companies based on what the region that data center was in.

Like I said above, you can't erase it, the BEST you could do is make the bank stop working for a day and makes IT/IS pull a lot of overtime.

>>
Anonymous 07/26/16(Tue)01:13:10 No.55755179▶

I worked at a major Canadian Bank (one of the big 4). Their internet security was pathetic and they were attacked multiple times a day, usually something small though. It was so bad sometimes that our VPN would be down and could not transfer files to anyone and would have to put files on a USB and use the mailroom to bring them to who needed them. That being said, yes it is plausible to get in there and totally annihilate the bank...but they will know EXACTLY where it came from. Every time someone got into the system, they knew where it came from (China, Russia, and Middle-East countries), basically any country bank employees are told not to do business with.

>>
Anonymous 07/26/16(Tue)01:17:48 No.55755250▶

This is why banks are looking to implement their own blockchain tech

To prevent attacks

>>
Anonymous 07/26/16(Tue)01:21:23 No.55755296▶

(OP)
It has happened before, on smaller and less technological scale:

>conceivably happen?
Nah, banks have backups. As soon as they notice a problem, they'll restore.

>could a hacker really collapse the banks
possibly if they could bring down the core processing mainframes but it would be incredibly difficult, perhaps by state sponsored group .

>and wipe away all debts?
nooooooo way. that shit is duplicated all over the world on so many systems it would be impossible without some kind of nuclear attack to literally destroy everything

Why are hackers attacking the bank?

It would be far easier to simply get a large amount of people to ignore debt. Once the debt cash flow stops, the banks will fold by themselves.

Eg: The sub prime mortgage crisis.

You don't even need to be a hacker to crash the economy

You just need to be a Jew

Even with blockchain you can bring down the entire system.

>You just need to be a Jew
If only such racism actually worked.

The 1% (many known happen to be Jewish such as Soros) don't seem to be pro-racial and almost seem intent on watching the world burn regardless of race (even their own).

While race can be a factor to the 1% (seems to be very relative though) a single race alone is not likely to be the cause for why an economy would crash and would likely be due to a flaw or weakness with a economy which has not been fixed or has been left intentionally open for malicious purpose (greed most likely).

No. Shit is backed up to tape and offline. You would literally have to hit all redundant sites and destroy the physical tape backups simultaneously.

Errors happen all the time and yes hackers could fuck with stuff, but debt doesn't work like that on the scale of big banks lmao

stop shilling this cringey show.

>don't seem to be pro-racial and almost seem intent on watching the world burn regardless of race (even their own).

I'm a Jew myself and it doesn't work that way, m8. You can do anything to anyone as long as it's not another Jew. A Jew, who goes against other Jews will be destroyed withing days by various Jewish organizations and funds like WJC, EJC, ADL, JPC etc. As bad as Soros is, he always defends Israel and doesn't dare to do anything against other Jews.

It's not racism. It's just that gentiles (non-jews) are not human. Jews have 2 souls, everyone else only has one. So that makes Jews the only real humans, the gentiles are nothing more than talking apes, created to serve the Jews.

r8 my desktop please

did you not see evil-corp relying on its old printouts form last month?

I wonder

>My comfortable life is based on the misery and hunger of others

yeah no, go fuck yourself.

>Probably paper records too.
Definitely. It's usually a legal requirement; seven years in my country.

The entire economy runs on debt, relies on debt. Money is just a representation of debt. When I work for you, you owe me equal compensation in return. However, not everyone has what I want. Money is just a way to standardize the debt one party owes to the other in order to facilitate the transfer of these material items from the party that has to the party that wants. Without this, I would never fix your AC for you because you don't have the ground beef and the oil filter I want in exchange.

This
>I chose to borrow money I couldn't pay back and therefore the people I borrowed from shouldn't be allowed to have comfortable lives and steady paychecks

Go fuck yourself. Learn how to not borrow money that you can't pay back. Don't feed me that bullshit about a shitty job market. Do good in a school that you can afford and apply yourself to set yourself apart from other casuals. If you can't do this then get some type of certificate to get a better paying job than McDonald's. NEET.

Bank employee fag here

No is the simple answer. Maybe 20 years or more ago but not today. Things are stored and backed up, and backed up again. Both in paper form as well as data bases. If someone did did try and somewhat succeed, banks would just have to spend a lot of time and money rebuilding accounts and things. Which of course they will do, no matter the cost and time.

Not a bloody chance.

At worst, they just can make things messy and slow for financial system.

Hollywood "hacking" still has so little in common with real-world "hacking".

What about people getting into big loans for education or health issues? What about people getting screwed over by their own corrupt politicians? Is everything a damn business for you?

fyi I have a phd in a stem field and work in one of the world's top academic institutions. Stop projecting your NEETness and insecurities on me. Also stop samefagging.

>Stop samefagging
Gg, kid. That was my first post in the thread. You're credibility is gone.

We aren't discussing the poor state of our health care field. I'm aware that dying also means you're guaranteed to be in or leave your family in a lot of debt and it's wrong.

But apart from health care costs, all of your debt is YOUR fault. Any car loans, house loans, education loans, etc... Almost every type of loan can also be put off near indefinitely if you know what you're doing too. My mom got a medical coding degree some 20+ years ago and hasn't payed a dime on it and still doesn't have to pay a dime on it because she knows what she's doing. 3 more years and the debt is wiped clean. Can't remember the process it's called but it's legit at least in my state/banking situation.

I digress. Point is you're fucking retarded if you think banking employees don't deserve comfortable lives because you had bad luck after school for whatever reason. Purely idiotic to think that at all.

Education is a right, not a privilege. Educational loans shouldn't even be a thing.

I agree with the other kinds of loans, when you think about them, most of them are based on vanity. In an ideal infrastructure, most of them wouldn't be a thing either tho.

Banking employees make money on interests charged at the poor devils that loan from them. Aside from paying taxes(if they don't evade), they contribute nothing to society, so fuck them too.
I haven't had any bad luck because I know better to avoid exploiters. Stop projecting again.

>my credibility is gone because I called samefagging
Sure kiddo. I bet you yell "casual" and reee at other people in gamestop too.

Education is a right, I completely agree. That's why all across the nation we have free public schools that if you payed attention offer quite a substantial bit of knowledge especially if you were lucky to live near a vocational tech school.

Trade skills are not a right. If you'd like to be a computer programmer you either go to school and get a degree or you learn yourself, build a portfolio, beg for freelance contracts and show your worth and skillset.

You want to be a mechanic you get a desk job at Monroe muffler and show them your sweet civic and start off with oil changes and work your way up.

You want to get into stocks and trading you get a job at a bank and apply for accredited classes or certifications after buying your own textbook or something.

Going to a university should not be free. If it should be free then there should be very strict entrance regulations. Otherwise it will be like high school where a loan 3 pack of niggers can disrupt your entire education and Sully your hard work on a daily basis.

I dont believe college should be free, no. Should it be 10k a year? No. My top 30 school is only 11k a year. Im happy paying that for an excellent education. But I'd rather pay 5k a year. You should be able to work your way through school and nothing more.

I keep going on though.

Banking employees are usually payed salary or wages. Unless you're directly responsive for providing small business loan's or making investments you're not making commission.

GameStop is a ripoff. I buy most shit from Amazon because of their excellent customer service and return policy.

If the company actually had such dogshit security, and only tape backups, then sure.

In real life they probably have a much more secure system though.

Yes, it's possible,

The problem with that show compared to real life is that "E Corp" doesn't exist here. They wiped out the debt from one company because apparently that company was THE back, the one everybody used. We don't really have that here, so you'd have to have the knowledge of the entire process of every major bank and have enough people and attack surfaces to "take down" and wipe backups from every one of them to get that level of attack. It's certainly possible, but you couldn't get that amount of people in on such a hack without somebody blabbing.

>phd in stemfield
>work in one of the world's top academic institutions

I'll have you know my dad works at nintendo and can ban you on steam - im also mark cuban

gtfo faggot

Yes, Fuck character development, symbolism, and themes. Lets have more specifics about Linux!

you're retarded

>could a hacker really collapse the banks and wipe away all debts?

From one bank and all the customer debt it's kept records of? Probably.

From all banks and all customer debt in history? Fuck no because a lot of it remains in use with paper backups believe it or not as required by law.

It would require an effort that would dwarf anything else in history on any level of any kind and a massive conspiracy to pull it off.

In other words, a bank here and there, sure, but all debt info ever ain't going anywhere.

So, sorry, no Fight Club, no E-Corp, no Hackers, no "The Net," no nothing.

well, they did that on the series.

Wouldn't be better to send all the debts to Bill Gates?

i see you're using gnome

Inthe show they actually did destroy backups stored at iron mountain.

Unrealistic a little bit, but they explained it.

unless someone bombs ALL data centers in existence - no

the most well guarded civilian things in the world now :nuclear plants, fabs and data centers with something worthwhile on them

No, fuck you Greece. Pay debts.

Can you temporarily hack a bank and make things seem like all debt is gone? Yes that's possible.

However not only are there logs for everything that happens online there is a paper trail for a lot of stuff. Like opening a mortgage. So while you could temporarily kill the bank's system there will be backups and papers where they can restore their shit from. Also banks don't handle credit card debt which is a major source of household debts in the US. That's all credit card companies.

And wiping out all their backups isn't something you can do. They won't be all in the same location. You'd have to attack the datacenters their servers are in and the datacenters their logs are in and all the offices for that bank. Note the plurals. That isn't going to happen.

>what is database redundancy

also
>implying (worst comes to worst) they can't just access all the paper bills they sent their debtors

>Can you temporarily hack a bank
how many people would you need for that?
how small of a window will it be?
how fast do people on the other side work?
how fast will they simply pull the switch if something goes through?

my bet 40 minutes and everything gets restored that's being generous and assume "hackers" will pass through to do something for a bit

It'd be easier to kill all the people

Yup, I did that to the national banks in my country and now everybody is starving #hackthaplanet

Cool story bro

Yes it is possible.

But the hacker's approach would be different. Methodical. Over time silently installing on every company's machines top to bottom, in firewalls, coffee makers, slowly cultivating tcp servers and terminals by hand.

It must start with trust and physical access, like Elliot at Allsafe, you must be apart of the existing chain of trust. 'Physical access is the highest level of access'.

Truth is that that hack, like Elliot, would have to stem from someone who desperately wants to fit in but cant due to psychological abandonment stemming childhood. Where else does someone get the drive to go on such a quest?

Most don't even have the drive to do anything but be a NEET or a self-parading worker(IE has good job but does little to no work)

Tyler Durden did it without being a L337 1337 NOSCOPE 420 XXXDDD HAX0R

Pretty sure they destroyed like 2 different locations using chinese help.

The point isn't to create a dreamy wonderland but to kill the wonderland of the elite few that get their wonderland by fucking everyone else

In the universe in which thet show develops yeah, you got an unified cosmopolitan enterprise which holds a huge part of the general in almost any almost every industry and branch there is; this enterprise happens to be really technological and fully digitalized, in the show Elliot and the gang not only bring down all the servers, but destroy all the backups there are, they don't destroy the information per se, they just encypt it which is obviously enough.
Elliot is already part of the "system" when the show starts, he is not an infiltrate, and lastly, the other dude whose name I dont remember is the final catalizer to make everything happen, so you also got internal conflinct inside the company, the show is not really criticizing stablished security protocols, just the handicaps that come with the structure of such a huge, although purely platonic, entity as E Corp.

Not in Australia. Everything is backed up paper base style. Being that far behind other countries finally counts.

/thread

If it was possible then how do you explain the US debt?

>banks keep all of their information on one machine with no backups
>also this machine is connected to the internet
>all of the big e-doomsday scenarios that people discuss to death are just being ignored in this age where digital security is becoming a top concern

No.

Parties responsible for price gouging on public necessities and creating a public debt crisis should get fucked. "Buyer beware" is a real life approach to business, which is why the class of crimes that we refer to as "white collar" exist to begin with.

That doesn't mean that everybody deserves to be freed from all debts, of course. Some people truly just lead financially irresponsible lives, and the only functional solution is for them to stop being retarded with their money. It's when the system is set up so that there's just no way around it that there's a problem.

He looks more like cracker or warez d00d for me.

Just get your hands on several back ups. Change the data, make it all conflicting. Attack the main database and whipe it's data.

Total chaos.

>>banks keep all of their information on one machine with no backups
>>also this machine is connected to the internet
have you even watched the show? they destroyed the offline backups as well

/thread