Why would anyone study CS when CE can do everything CS majors can PLUS hardware?

Why would anyone study CS when CE can do everything CS majors can PLUS hardware?

Dumb idiots think cs is a viable career path to making video games. They are surprised when they become dull code monkeys that are routinely replaced by rajeets.

>Civil Engineering

What

CE is computer engineering.

Because of lower IQ.

Once I finish my CS degree I want to go back and get a CE degree. Best of both worlds.

I'm getting CE + CS dual degree because it's only one semester extra.

I'm actually pretty curious about Sup Forums's take on computer engineering degrees. I only ever see talk of CS and programming.

Another 4 years huh?

Why though?

I always thought it was a little unnecessary when EE can do everything CE can do.

There were no uni's that offered CE around me and I didn't want to move across the country

We call it CPE at my school

Maybe more, I'll probably do it part time lel

I already took 6 years on the first degree because of severe depression though.

CpE is computer engineering unless it's in the context of EE/CE EECE

Every time I see one of these threads, I wonder what shitty Uni or college most of Sup Forums to that made them think a CS degree is worthless. I'm about to graduate with one, and all of my older friends who have graduated with one have good jobs.

This, idk what shit-tier school Sup Forums goes to that makes them think CS is easy or low-paying

Just CE students trying to make themselves not feel worthless.

Doesn't matter, if you want to work for computers in 2016 you got fucking memed on.

>mfw cs degree and unemployed

Just end me.

Any school. A degree really doesn't mean a thing unless you have talent. CS students naturally lack talent on average but most talented individuals came out of some CS program around here. I work at a tech firm in Cupertino, the amount of talentless people I seen come and go on interns or job interviews is through the roof they're usually always Cs majors. One year we had a student from Stanford be so horrible he was put to mailroom duties a few weeks into the intern.

Maybe because we dont want to do CE?

Why are you afraid of learning too much about computers?

No I have a choice. And I chose to not take CE. Go be an elitist somewhere else.

is IQ a meme?

>school gives cs program
>calls it and has it accredited as ce

> Never seen a CE code, the post

Fuckin 90% of employees I work with are CE or ME. Their code base is fuckin awful. It's a shotty mix of .Net, C#, C++, and javascript. It's a nightmare trying to work with anything legacy.

>plus hardware

The difference between a 1 and a 0 is not that hard to distinguish, friend.

I don't want to do embedded development for a career.

There's nothing stopping you from being an autodidact; I took electromagnetics as a math and CS major so I won't have a problem picking up a circuit analysis book and teaching myself whatever analog hardware. Digital logic isn't difficult, but I find it to be pretty boring; it's still a good skill to have to do FPGA development.

It's a meme degree. Just major in EE or CS and learn more specific stuff on your own, if you want to do something more specialized.

EE usually means analog and power; CpE is digital logic design and embedded systems

school is just a meme anyway

Because it take CS majors an average of 3 tries to pass Calculus I

Maybe it's the perception of being the bastard child of EE and CS? Just my guess.

1. CS goes more in depth into algorithms than CE. You're not getting all of CS + all of EE, you're getting a bit of both. Someone who wants to focus more strongly on software and algorithms should study CS.

2. Many smaller universities have a CS program, but not a CE program. For some students, price and location are taken into consideration when selecting a university, making CS a much more accessible degree.

Someone who fails out of calculus 1 really isn't going to have an easy time in the higher level algorithms classes in CS.

What do you notice is the biggest difference between the talentless and those who are good? Is it actual knowledge of the field or just motivation?

But that's exactly the reason.
In my country, computer science is actually one major that's merged with computer engineering. You have to take the basics of computer engineering (starting with simple electronic circuits, all the way up to building logic gates with transistors, developing logic circuits, and programming a mini computer in assembly). And after that, you're free to take more computer engineering classes or not.
But guess what, the computer engineering classes have the highest failure rate of all classes, yes even higher than calculus. In my computer engineering 101 exam, the failure rate was at 80% (!!!), and since the exam is 100% of the final grade, that means 80% of all students are pretty much weeded out in the first semester.

Now, in my country universities are paid by taxes, so it makes sense to have the hard classes first, to weed out bad students and not waste tax money. In America, I guess the for-profit universities don't like high drop out rates because that means less money, so they take out the computer engineering stuff.

>Someone who fails out of calculus 1 really isn't going to have an easy time in the higher level algorithms classes in CS.

A retard could pass algorithms, it's so fucking easy

Hint, there's a reason why Bachelor of Science degrees have the acronym they do. If you're majoring in anything theoretical you need to do a PhD.

Wait what? i always tought when Sup Forums said cs it included cs ce and se.

So witch is the best? I m starting se this semester

>CEs thinking they know anything about hardware
Be a man and study a real engineering branch, such as EE

no and don't believe intlets trying tell you it is

I did CS undergrad and EE postgrad

>tfw I fell for the CE meme

>EE
My man!

>why would anyone go to college when they can just go to /sci/ wiki and study all the books there

>ayy lmao

>tfw CE but have taken all high level CS courses for my tech electives while having only the base major requirements from the EE side
Did I fuck up?

>school has day care
>calls it software "engineering"

>mfw people take anonymous advice from the internet seriously about their careers

>mfw people collect opinions from every source they can and weigh them all in making a decision

What does EE stand for?
Electronic Engineering?
Sorry not American.

ee+cs is the only true path, but that's usually a 5 year program

CE is probably worth more if you go to a trash school because the curriculum are more standardized, but CS from a good school is just as if not more valuable than CE since your skills are much more marketable

Electrical Engineering at my university, but it could mean something else at a different university.

Hmmm, interesting. Not at my uni, though. There's a bunch of EE electives students can take to fulfill their degree requirements: embedded/computer hw organization, or dsp, or like you said power systems. Must vary.

Yeah, or electrical engineering. I see a lot of schools now have just ECE = Electrical and Computer Engineering. Really it's all the same shit in the end. I'm sure if someone with a CS degree had an aptitude for circuits/hw they can work on embedded things, and an EE person could do programming if that's what they liked/were good at. Degrees are just something to put on your resume. My friend's husband works for Pokemon Int'l in Bellevue as a programmer, and he has a degree in geography.