Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-ssg-1tb-gpu-memory,32325.html
tomshardware.com/news/samsung-sm961-1tb-nvme-m-2-ssd,32117.html
thessdreview.com/our-reviews/ngff-m-2/toshiba-xg3-m-2-nvme-ssd-review-1tb/
anandtech.com/show/10328/the-toshiba-ocz-rd400-pcie-ssd-review
twitter.com/RadeonPro/status/757782561313566720?s=08
youtube.com/watch?v=vyKgT5QUU2Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

We tried, can't start discussion because it wasn't made by Nvidia.
Lets try again in 2 years.

>load immense work files into the GPU one time
>it can then access them instantly from that point on
>enormous videos can be edited in real time
>tremendous 3D cad files opened in seconds

Pretty goddamn big for a lot of people. It'll be impressive to see how 36CU Polaris 10 fairs in DP throughput unrestrained.

Pretty impressive desu

Is this only for video editing and rendering? Someone explain this shit

No i know people who use them to render huge 3d mapped spaces. The real time feed rendering is used in live scenarios too.

it's pretty good for 3d modeling as well, but it's pretty dumb to buy this for gaming.

GO AMD GO

The first demo AMD is said to be showing is a use case for movie editing and cleanup on the GPU. What is the issue here you may ask, this is old hat and has been done on the CPU for years. Some GPUs can even assist it without slowing things down in the process, so what does SSG add? How about 8K movie streaming and cleanup in realtime. At 96FPS. Sure you can do this with traditional methods but the best of them will run the same task at 17FPS.

AMD is happy to point out this is a 5.6x speedup or so for the cost of two consumer SSDs. Before SSG, possible but slow. After SSG, fast enough for most users. The impossible, realtime 8K cleanup, is now possible. Hugely complex and highly detailed CAD models that took the better part of an hour to load up and decompress will still take the better part of an hour to load up and decompress on an SSG GPU based system. Why bother? Because it takes the better part of an hour to load and decompress the first time, then it can stay resident on the GPU’s flash storage. The second time it should take seconds. If you look at the cost of a modern automotive or aerospace engineer’s time, SSG is a no-brainer, any CTO would be foolish not to deploy this tech ASAP, the ROI would be measured in weeks.

>Why is no one talking about this?
Because about 95% of the people posting on Sup Forums only understand using GPUs for playing games and this isn't intended for that.

God watching the Nvidia and AMD fanboys bickering and being all round retarded is annoying.

>able to render the feed at approximately 17 frames per second, which is pretty respectable for 8K video

hnnnnng, how much though?

$10,000 for developer kits

>able to render the feed at approximately 17 frames per second, which is pretty respectable for 8K video
That's the current tech, AMD claim this can do it at 90

oh shit

OH SHIT

The percentage of people who would even make use of this is fucking miniscule .

And?

>It doesnt support muh videogames so it sucks!!!
Are Nvidiatards the most angry, autistic manchildren on the planet?

but can it render at SONIC SPEEDS?

its for film preduction you tard, not 4k 60fps gaymen at max settings and shit, its for work, not play

How the fuck are they allowed to call this thing solid state when it has a fan?

Do we know that its polaris based? Anandtech was merely guessing.

y halo thar charlie

Wasn't Intel doing something similar with crosspoint? What the fuck is happening with that btw?

Yes, it is.

if you put a fan on a ssd does that make the ssd mechanical ?

Why do you think its blue retard? To keep the computational niggawatts frozen so it doesn't heat up and cause a loss of rotational velocodensity.

Fuck sake Sup Forums is retarded at times.

Nobody is talking about it because it's not something 99.9% of us could make use of.

I do a lot of 3d modeling as an engineer, but even for me that card would be beyond overkill. My large and complex assemblies are many GB sure, but nowhere near 1TB. It's really geared towards people like Pixar animators so they can store insane amounts of file size on vram.

More like oil and gas companies where datasets are flipping enormous.

how much FPS in CSGO

It can't be solid state if it has any moving parts.

Just read about this.
A pretty nice leap in this tech.

I hope this eventually makes it's way to the consumer side.
For example if we can throw stroage into the same package with the GPU, we're not going to be needing those M.2 slots on the motherboard, or PCIe SSD cards.
Just buy the SSG with couple of TB of storage and you're set.
No need to go SSD shopping after that.

With this the whole system would get even more compact.
Not by much, but still these small steps are important.

>AMD
>Pro
Choose one

This is pointless for desktop users because the primary job of this technology is to free up congestion of the bus relieving the bottleneck.
Utterly useless for 99% people here.

Riddle me this, just how much cpu overhead would a system using these firepros need? Just thinking in a bit of a vaccuum one could use a very low power cpu and then go balls out on the gpu to save both cost of hardware and (potentially) power draw.

This SSD is not for regular storage, it is not a PCIe SSD like we have now

We don't really know that yet.
I mean this is just a couple of regular 950 Pros they're pairing with this via an M.2 slot, I don't really see why it couldn't function as a storage like any other PCIe SSD.

Because the M.2 slots are wired to the GPU directly and not the PCIe

god you must actually be retarded
how do you breathe

How many frames does it get in Ashes of the Singularity?

probably breathe the tears of stupid people he trolls on /g

All of them.

>AMD workstation GPUs have been historically garbage
>Sup Forums 2016
>It'll be different this time guise

You say that as though $10k is a lot for a high end workstation card.

It's a devkit holy shit not the retail card.

only because developers never fully optimize for OpenCL, they're too busy sucking CUDA dick. (as are you c;)

>>AMD workstation GPUs have been historically garbage
They've never been garbage, it's just all a matter of what the software is better optimised for, or the workload you're handling.
AMD have always had the edge in number crunching thanks to the way GCN is designed, whereas nVidia have the edge in tessellation (Kek?) due to CUDA. Both see wide adaptation of it in workloads or projects where such matters.

>T-They just never optimized for AMD those meanies >:(
Oh boy

Because instead of following the industry AMD makes their own convoluted shit that developers don't bother with. That's the main issue with them. It's like having a perfectly good highway and then building a shitty sideroad and getting upset that nobody uses it over the highway.

>someone states strengths of both brands as to compare them in a diverse environment

>SHILL, HHAHAHAHAHAHA, FUCKING POORFAG SHILL

Would you consider going back to your Battlestation thread? Or is there some thread back on Sup Forums that you would feel more comfortable in?

nvidia is content to let technology stagnate while they increase efficiency +3% year over year

>The second time it should take seconds.
this would be some bomb ass shit

all i have to say about that is

>CUDA
>wasn't convoluted shit when it came out

>professional
>Sup Forums

you can only choose one.

It wasn't, but you were born after it's release so you wouldn't know that.

he feels right at home here, shitposting anti-amd sentiment while ironically trying to seem superior. It works every time because AMD fanboys get so defensive

Implying fanboys.

Something like this SSG coming along makes a big difference to everyone, and is something new for the industry to move with.

The only fanboys here are the ones shitposting in an attempt to derail an otherwise rarely decent thread on Sup Forums, where people actually discuss the technology and the possible implications as opposed to just calling everyone niggers, and sending a thread into a spiral of shitposts and traps.

shutup amdnigger

Stay on funnyjunk kiddo

They've been garbage long before any kind of gpgpu existed. The ati has no drivers is not just a meme.

But it was because it only works on Nvidia hardware, meanwhile OpenCL, which AMD pushes works on everything.

It seems the thread has gotten popular enough to where all the shit-posters are coming in. It was a good thread while it lasted guys.

:O Yeah but what video games does it support? :/ ._.

>Hey this thread was pretty nice before people came in here with different ideas
>Being this new
Lurk more before you post newfag. Also listen to this user while you're at it

Probably the same as a 480, if not less

Pajeet, blue is INTEL'S color
Lawsuit when?

Also, kek for Pajeet using regular SATA-based SSDs for their rendering storage and cache and not the BASED PCIe3 8x SSDs

>M.2 connected
>"SATA"
Please go back to Sup Forums and stay there.

>using regular SATA-based SSDs for their rendering storage and cache and not the BASED PCIe3 8x SSDs
Both are limited by the speed of the connection they use, the SSD is plenty fast enough in the SSG to feed it sufficiently, as demonstrated by that monstrous 90+fps in 8k

>tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-ssg-1tb-gpu-memory,32325.html
There are no such things as superfast 1TB M.2 SSDs yet. Quit lying, Pajeet

Yo, how the fuck do you pre-render a scene in AE again? Like, how do you get it to pre-load a clip so that you can scrub through it freely without it just loading whatever part you're on at the moment?

I know it's literally one button but I can't find the damn shortcut anywhere.

So should I get this instead of rx 480? Is this new pro series answer to 1080?

No, these are for workstation. Not bideogames you manchild.

hahaha but can I use for bideogames like the Nveedia??? :DDDD?

No?? Fugg AMD : D D

Normally, to communicate with a PCIe SSD, the GPU would have to go over the PCIe bus and through the chipset, which would add a ton of latency. Depending on how they wire it, putting it right on the GPU board skips all of that. So the GPU gets a giant, slow but not prohibitively slow pool of memory to work with for things like massive 8K video frames.

It was, it was also really early tech, at the time people used the other propietary niche API's and completely ignored ATI Stream and Nvidia CUDA
Howhever Nvidia did commit to CUDA, Stream was abandoned after two or three iterations, the other API's ported their shit to CUDA, then AMD started to commit to OpenCL, quite late in the game by then

Why are you doing this, Fag?

>tomshardware.com/news/samsung-sm961-1tb-nvme-m-2-ssd,32117.html
>thessdreview.com/our-reviews/ngff-m-2/toshiba-xg3-m-2-nvme-ssd-review-1tb/
>anandtech.com/show/10328/the-toshiba-ocz-rd400-pcie-ssd-review

Nice try mr pattel, but no dice...

POst the video where this thing does that 90hz rendering

Maybe it could, but its not meant to, just buy a PCIe SSD card for that, you'd be misusing the product

twitter.com/RadeonPro/status/757782561313566720?s=08

this can work for games, actually.

if a game supported it you would "install" the game to the gpu, it would take a long time copying all the textures to the gpu but then texture loading wouldn't cause bus traffic or involve the CPU (much).

All you've done here is prove the point that there is no need to fit a PCIe SSD to this thing, in that even at the speeds that M.2 and SATA SSDs reach, it is enough to feed this GPU with the speed it needs for 8k streaming and clean up.

It would be, like, a hard drive full of games.

amirit? :D :D :D :D EBIN

I think you didn't read anything. It runs 8k video at 96fps. A normal set up would suffer to do that in 1080p.

LATENCY
A
T
E
N
C
Y

speed has nothing to do with it. its all about clearing up the latency.

a hard drive full of games where its graphics would load with near zero latency and less cpu usage.

I'd be curious to know what sort of man hours this might save a company. I would guess it wouldn't have to be many all told to recover the initial cost of the hardware itself.

youtube.com/watch?v=vyKgT5QUU2Q

I was sort of trying to refer to that image of a facebook thread, where someone posted an image of his gpu, and, you know what, nevermind.

nigga thats really great and all, but those 5k fps when steeping back and forth in the progress bar made me laugh
>counting skipped frames

Think they might put out 256gb ssd versions of this ?

can't wait for the new mac pros to come shipped with these puppies

The point was pretty conclusively made in the demo AMD put up at SIGGRAPH 2016.

It's not about the speed of the SSD, but how fast the GPU can access it. Normally the GPU has no direct access to the SSD, instead the host (CPU) application has to first figure out that the GPU needs data off the SSD, read it from the SSD to RAM, then from RAM to the GPU and then let the GPU know that the data is available. With this the GPU can access an SSD directly, cutting out the need for the host application to do the time consuming lookup and copying to GPU memory, massively increasing performance in jobs where memory has to be constantly swapped in and out of GPU memory.

Would be interesting for smaller businesses or those who feel like they don't need quite THAT much room to play with.

Really they would be silly not too, it would open it up to a lot more customers.

As of right now, I imagine the producers at Pixar all have diamondillium hard dicks at the thought of upgrading their render farms to these things.

if it ever gets popular and makes it way into games.

its kinda like creatives "x-ram." it needs per application support. if the application doesn't have support for it, it cannot use it.

really for games it will probably never take off. latency isn't an issue in that arena.

>Sup Forumsaymen benchmarks
>what x product do I buy
>which Linux build is best for doing nothing productive and watching anime
>what do these numpad buttons do, I've never used them before

That's Sup Forums in a nutshell. I wouldn't be surprised if some people are wondering where all the Firestrike benchmarks for this card are.

Especially when developers have been extremely lazy with fucking SLI, something that directly benefits gaming. This has no foreseeable future in gaming until we see extremely resolutions become the norm, but other things would have also progressed by then to probably make this irrelevant

SLI is totally fucked because DX is setup in a way that multi-gpu requires throwing darts at a board and praying you hit bullseye to get anything beyond negative scaling. Plus Nvidia's jewry on bandwdith isn't helping.

How much VRAM does it come with normally? From what I have read it seems like the 1TB is the max you can add to it.

They probably have the first 100 or so preordered.

Sup Forums is just a bunch of Sup Forums fags in disguise. They don't care about technology, only about shilling.