Graphics Card Discussion Thread

Thoughts on those in the market right now. 1070 better bang for your buck than a 1080?

Other urls found in this thread:

videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487091
pclab.pl/art60000-21.html
youtube.com/watch?v=gmQvGBMESa8&
geforce.co.uk/whats-new/articles/mirrors-edge-catalyst-geforce-gtx-1080-1070-hyper-settings
youtube.com/watch?v=p6MDUjFiUR4
youtube.com/watch?v=HWPQwmU_Rvs
techspot.com/review/1114-vram-comparison-test/page5.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

GTX 80s always end up in a weird spot cuz they're mid-high priced and always get made obsolete by the tier above them. 1080ti/1090 not coming out soon, but you know it will eventually.

I'd get 1070 and maybe upgrade later if you want. Wouldn't pay 600+ for 1080 when the next release will prolly just be slightly more expensive.

videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

EVGA ACX 3.0 is an amazing cooler. Quiet as fuck and keeps card cool. So much better than their 2.0 coolers.

I just got a 1070 FTW.
+110 on clocks
+250 memory
+20% volt
Stock aggressive fan profile that I couldn't hear.
Never got above 59C under load.

Ima play around with it more to see what all I can get stable

Who /waiting for RX 470/ here
>10% lower performance than a 480
>$150 for the 4 GB(which is what you'll want anyway)
>perfect for 1080/60 gaming

Couldn't hear w/aggressive profile or couldn't hear with normal?

>Never above 59C full load

What did you do that you considered full load? Because I have serious doubts that it's that cool unless you're calling 1080 gaming full load.

>perfect for 1080p/60 gaming

yeah, you can run any game 1080p/60, but you'll have to turn down some settings for some of the more demanding games like the witcher 3. I'm waiting for the gtx 1060 to be in stock so i can max everything out and hit 60.

Which is better, gtx 1060 or RX 480

I don't care as long as I can run Overwatch and heavily modded Skyrim at absurd settings.

>tfw have to run overwatch at 50% render scale and 1600x900 to even hit 60 FPS, let alone stay at 60
it hurts

Skyrim is a bit better, I hit about 30-40 FPS with medium-high settings but I'd like to use some xXultra HD 16k textures and shit

What is a better card under 60$ that can replace my old gt 220?

Firestrike and heaven benchmark.

76c top temp with stock fan curve that turns on around 60c
59c top temp with aggressive fan curve

>Nvidia
Does Newegg offers the card + power transformers combos?

gtx 1060 is better across the board except for performance per dollar.

They're both practically the same except for some autistic 0.5 FPS difference in some cases, so I'm going for the 480 because it has 2GB more RAM.

In my country they both costs same.

well then the 1060 is better, it runs cooler, quieter and draws a little less power, and if you have a dvi port, it has one while the 480 does not.

Anything

Planning to buy a RX480 too, but I heard that it has some kind of power problem. Are these problems serious or they released some kind of patch? Btw, what pcie type does this card use?

I currently have a 280x and I really want to upgrade. RX 480 or GTX 1070?

The power problem wasn't anything severe, and it got solved with a driver update anyway. PCIe 2.0 is fine(which is what you should have if you bought a mobo in the last 5 years at least)

Serious doubts about that.

Just with 2 mins into witcher 3 Im at 60 celsius

those are 2 wildly differently performing cards, do you mean 1060?

What kinda fan curve? I went with aggressive one. It's also hot here so my central air is full blast. 26C idle.

r7 240 at 60$ i guess, consider saving up and getting a graphics card with more power behind it.

depends on what you are using the card for, rx 480 is a 1080p and in most cases, you will be able to make constant 60fps. gtx 1070 is too powerful to compare to the 480, it's a powerful 1440p card and unstoppable at 1080p.

1070 is much better and much more expensive. So it if it fits your budget.

Im looking into a new gpu aswell and Im somewhat torn between the 1060 (readily available custom designs here in germany) and the rx 480 (same price, more vram, still gotta wait for the nitro). I might also just say fuck it and buy the 1070 although I dont really like the custom versions and its overkill for 1080p ultrawide right?

> he doesn't know about the 1080ti

/490 to upgrade from my 290/

>So much better than their 2.0 coolers.
How? Their ACX 3.0 is just a 2.0 with more plastic and gimmicks. The fan designs are basically unchanged and their heatpipe arrangement is still sub-optimal for actively cooling VRMs and other non-GPU heat-sensitive components.

Maybe my 2.0 had bad fans, but the 3.0 is quiet as fuck. I can't hear it under load. I definitely heard the acx 2.0 card I had

what kind of manchild designer thinks that slapping shit like "classified" on an incredibly expensive, high end, gpu is a good idea? and why is it always red and black

Just get like 20 RX 480s

Red equates to more speed and blue equates to lower temps. How fucking new are you to GPUs breh?

It's the first gen ACX that had bad fans. The 2.0 fixed all of those problems and is quieter than the Sapphire Tri-X card I had for my 280X.

i've bought exactly one, ever. and it was a massive pain finding one that didn't look like it was designed for someone that also owns an anime body pillow.

Well maybe mine were bad. They weren't loud but I could easily hear them under load. My case, air 540, not known for being quiet and sitting right beside it I can't hear my 1070 at all.

Either way, I'm very impressed with the cooler.

>implying there's anything wrong with anime body pillows

This confirmed? I know it'll eventually come, but hadn't heard any official news.

>not using an eGPU

It's not. The Titan X (no, not the old one) is a gimped GPU, not the full GP102. There won't be a 1080Ti because Jewery and the performance will be too close to the 1080 if they gimp the GP102 any further.

If you're gonna connect a mechanical keyboard and an external GPU, what's the point of even buying a laptop?

For computing on the go/work.

Is it true that AMD cards perform worse relative to Nvidia cards on CPU's weaker than the i7?

Pic related but I don't know how much it applies to most (modernish) games.

>needing to buy an adapter AND a separate PSU on top of the card itself
Do you enjoy licking fresh cum from your mother's pussy after Jamal has his way with her?

Yes, taking into account the whole setup was less than $200, my cock gobbling friend.

I don't get how sound bothers people so much. The only thing I've ever heard that was actually loud enough to be annoying were Delta fans. Windforce cards at 100% for example never bothered me.

i bought this because my evga 560ti died sunday
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487091

did i fuck myself

forgot pic

yes, in cpu intensive games dx11. it also applies to dx12 where amd cards won't get some massive 50% boost you see with an i7.

pclab.pl/art60000-21.html

Even the 1060 cant max all current games at 1080p.

Which will be better: 1080 Ti or Titan XP

This blows my mind. I should have looked this up or known about it years ago, but comparing $200 GPU's on a $300+ CPU is misleading as fuck given how much it helps AMD. Most people will be using shittier CPU's.

I have an i5 and this makes the 1060 much more appealing over an RX 480.

the reason all benchmarks sites use the latest i7's is to remove any a cpu bottleneck so people can see the full potential of the gpu. it isn't realistic though. even a 2500 at 2.6 ghz bottlenecks amd gpu in dx11.

2500k*

and forgot pic

There will be no 1080 Ti, not for a while at least.
The X80 Ti are the swan-songs of the architecture. If Volta comes out in 2018, expect a Ti card at least 9 months ahead of its launch.

Even if there is, it won't be big pascal. There will be zero GP100 consumer market GPUs.

1080 is as good as it's gonna get for awhile.

Maxwell is such a fuckin disappointment.

Really like my Gigabyte FE 1070. Haven't had any problems with heat but it's winter here.
Only issue is I need to upgrade my CPU, got a [email protected] and it does the job but it lags behind sometimes.

>newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487091
Yes, very painfully in the ass.

Meant pascal

Yea I understand the reasoning behind it and it makes sense, it's just that ignorant people like me don't realize how much of a bottleneck the i5's or worse can actually be. People just see the numbers and assume they would scale down equally on a build with a worse CPU (at least that's what I did).

I wonder if anyone's done a price/perf comparison between cards like the RX 480 or the 1060 on "budget" builds, AKA builds using $230 i5's instead of $350 i7's.

I've seen this brought up lately on Sup Forums but never before that. Has it always been this way? This is a non-trivial change to the lower/middle end competition.

meh oh well. you live and learn.

You should have gotten an RX 480 or GTX 1060, so yea you kind of fucked yourself.

i didnt know if my cpu would bottleneck it =/

It probably would but the 480 would still vastly outperform the 960 for example.

you could have kept it until you upgraded to a better CPU
doesn't even matter, it's not like you would get worse performance than a 960
jesus christ user you should be able to figure this out by yourself

1060 faster now due to superior DX11 drivers.

480 faster in the future due to +2GB VRAM and superior implementation of DX12/Vulkan async compute.

Crysis 3 highly favours nVidia cards with massive tesselation (shit AMD sucks at)

>tfw either getting a 4gb RX 480 and no VR headset, or an 8gb one with a VR headset

still have a few weeks to make my mind up, hopefully stock is there for when i'm ready

8gb ram is useless on 1080p though.

I'm not buying either, they aren't that much better than a 980ti for the cost of upgrading

It's not though. Were you brain damaged as a kid?

not him but you're deluded. tell me of any game that fails to run at high/ultra settings on cards without 8gb

>inb4 mirrors edge

>either getting a gpu or getting a better gpu with a vr headset

why is this even a decision? are you dumb?

it's a question of whether i want to go on a trip later in the year or the tech now.

Since Friday I keep getting ___ driver has stopped working but has responded again plus freezing my whole screen and finally rebooting my computer randomly

I've tried everything from wiping the drive to using Windows 7 again to downgrading my driver's to updating them

Wat do gee

For the record it's a 560 ti and the computer says it's healthy

i want a 480

idk if i should get the nitro+ 4gb or 8gb but also what is the nitro+ OC edition? i can't find it on amazon

youtube.com/watch?v=gmQvGBMESa8&

this vid seems to indicate that any i5 from the past 4-5 years is just fine

I'm waiting for the 470. If it's not where I want it then I'm probably going to get a 480. I just need something to hold me over for a few years.

holy shit i've never seen a more retarded hardware youtuber. not even adoredtv is this stupid

>wants to test for potential cpu bottlenecks
>tests gpu intensive games except one

gta 5 was the only cpu intensive game there and look at the massive difference between the cpu's. theres a 10-20 fps difference between the i7 and the others with the minimums being fucking terrible.

mirrors edge.
you triggered?

Play some GTA 5 and you'll put your dick where ur mouth is and cuck yourself.

You think 4 gb is enough then you're obviously fucking yourself.

pic unrelated but who cares

idk. if we compare the 6700 and the 3550, the average is the same and that's the most important part. a 33 fps min is bad but, when, you think about it, a short little frame dip is always going to be jarring, whether that frame dip is 33fps or 45 fps. the only context in which i'd be worried about that i5-3550's min is if it was having many more frame drops than the 6700. but with a 70.66 average fps that is probably not the case.

Someone pls help im so lost

>mirrors edge

>he doesn't know hyper settings is only made specifically for the gtx 1070/1080

geforce.co.uk/whats-new/articles/mirrors-edge-catalyst-geforce-gtx-1080-1070-hyper-settings

>On the PC graphical fidelity will of course be enhanced, but for this latest release DICE has taken things to a new level, having been inspired by the power of our new GeForce GTX 1080 and 1070 graphics cards.

>Making full use of their blistering performance, and 8GB framebuffer, DICE is able to dramatically increase environmental detail and shadow quality, and further improve the quality of reflections, visual effects, environmental maps, image based lighting, motion blur, and Resolution Scale’s downsampling. Classed as “Hyper” settings, these enhancements enable users to explore a richer, more detailed Glass City on the very best PCs and graphics cards, delivering the definitive Mirror’s Edge Catalyst experience.

>gta 5

so you're claiming the game won't start up if i don't have 8gb vram? got any proof of that?

youtube.com/watch?v=p6MDUjFiUR4 (4gb)
youtube.com/watch?v=HWPQwmU_Rvs (2gb)

even the 970 gimp card runs perfectly fine. are you calling this evidence and all the other thousands of videos showing 4gb and 2gb video cards running this game perfectly fine a lie?

techspot.com/review/1114-vram-comparison-test/page5.html

>As for the 4GB R9 290 vs. 8GB R9 390 comparison, there was nothing to see here. Most games didn’t consume more than 4GBs of VRAM, but there were cases such as in Assassin's Creed Syndicate where with almost 5GBs of memory usage, there was still not a single frame difference.
>We see plenty of gamers claiming that the 390 and 390X are excellent buys due to their 8GB frame buffer ensuring that they are "future proofed," and well, that simply isn’t the case, as neither GPU has the horsepower to efficiently crunch that much data.

There's ALWAYS a TI you morons. Atleast one for the flagship and probably one for the budget card.

So im going to get a 1060 or 480, does the brand(sapphire,gigabyte,etc) matter? are there any to avoid? Also is it worth shelling out extra for a card with custom cooling?

in the end, they're all very similar but sapphire is generally considered the better AMD brand and EVGA is considered the better NVIDIA brand.

i would say this: whatever you get, make sure it's under $300. i'm seeing a lot of 1060s and 480s selling for $280, $290, $300, $310 and it's a bad price creep. try to stick to the $250 MSRP as close to possible while still getting a custom cooler.

Guys I bough 100 amd shares at 1.8$ the price currently is ~7$, pe share. If I sell now I can get around 450 in cash (commision, tax etc)
What gfx should I buy with my profits? Should I go for amd or nvidia? I am leaning towards 1070, or should I go for 1080?

>nintendo nx is using nvidia pascal mobile gpu

where are the retards who were saying amd own all the consoles? the only relevant console is using nvidia. check mate drones.

>EVGA is considered the better NVIDIA brand
lol no

then what is?

Mirror's Edge received a few game updates, the game runs fine at Hyper settings on 4GB cards now, including the 970 and the Fury X without having to check that memory setting that downgrades visual setting on the fly.

well, the gamecube, wii, and wii-u all used AMD so people assumed the NX would as well

i can get higher scores than you if i overclock lol

yes it is, stop talking shit. the evga SC cards are probably the best bang for buck nvidia cards. they're on par or better than more expensive gigabyte G1 or msi gaming X cards.

>only relevant console is using nvidia

Since when did Nintendo matter for multiplats? Only thing they're good for is 1st party titles.

>Only thing they're good for is 1st party titles.

hence why it's the only relevant console. you won't be browsing this thread if you thought the other multiplat oriented consoles are relevant.

pc for multiplats + ninendo console for 1st party exclusives is the only choice.

>tfw both 480 and 1060 are over $300 in Canada
I'll never be happy...

Did you forget you're on Sup Forums? No one cares about consoles here. Go away.

Are you this dense or did you not realize the whole point about caring about AMD in consoles is that games would be more optimized for GCN on PC