Touch Typing

What's the best way to learn touch typing? Currently I'm at ~65-70wpm typing with just my index fingers, but I feel like it's limiting my true potential. But when I try to touch type with five fingers I go so slow that I get frustrated and give up every time

Does anyone have any tips on how to overcome this? Also any recommended learning materials would be appreciated

Other urls found in this thread:

play.typeracer.com/?rt=xgeuaco2g7g8
reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport/comments/3v52pw/i_cant_log_in_when_i_stand_up/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

cover your keyboard
suck it up because in the future you're going to have a lot of hand pain if you don't learn how to type with more than 2 fingers

Bump for interest OP, i'm stuck in the same situation too

Switch to a different layout. Looking at the keyboard will essentially be useless.

>~65-70wpm typing with just my index fingers
literally how

I mean if you're doing something your entire life, you're ought to get better at it regardless if you're doing it write or wrong.

If you're doing it wrong though, you can only git gud so much.

Just keep doing it exclusively. It'll be incredibly awkward and awful for the first couple of weeks, but that's all right.

Mavis Beacon.

>there are people that didn't grow up mashing buttons on the computer in order to get onto AOL for the kids games
the more you type, the more you know where the keys are
the more familiar you are with the board, the more naturally your body will figure out which finger to use for the next key
there's nothing to try or learn, just open word and start writing an essay by only looking at what's happening on the screen
it will happen

this this this. i just kept going on typing practice websites for hours everyday until i could to at least 60 wpm and it didn't feel awkward

RACE ME PEASANTS

apple keyboard ftw

Practice

Try out Icarus Proudbottom teaches typing

>be me
>12 years old
>type 30 wpm
>12 years later now
>still 30 wpm

I use an awful technique with like 4 fingers on left hand and two on the right, but I still manage 120-130 wpm on type racer. Is it worth learning to type properly?

U guys aren't learning steno? Laughing my ass off to be honest family :)

U guys aren't mind melding with your computer? Laughing my ass off to be honest family :)

To my shame, I also type with just ~4 fingers. A lot of us "old people" did not grow up with computers, so we learned late, and habits are hard to break.

The new generation (born after 00) are going to be worse than us. They use phones more than PCs. The best "typing" people are either 90's kids (adults now), or those who have enough discipline to learn touch typing.

i cant get my pinky fingers to work, I use 3 fingers on each hand

Pic related. It is not so bad. This message only took 12 minutes to write!

I'm just learning to touch type. Unfortunately, my main password is much easier to type with one finger than touchtyping (it runs along the keyboard, but not just one row)

relevant
reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport/comments/3v52pw/i_cant_log_in_when_i_stand_up/

You're a dumbass.

honestly everyone is right, just cover your keyboard with a paper. That's how I learned in college.

Lucked out on taht because I became a professional programmer and it's efficient to fully touch type.

Trying to teach myself a better keyboard layout now though

>some people have to go out of their way to learn to touch type
I thought this was just something you picked up naturally when you use a PC a lot

Just try typingclub, it's a free web site with exercises. Took me literally slightly more than 30 minutes to learn English layout. Then install Stamina free app to bump up speed.

Attached is my log, I've just started touch typing in English (been touch typing in Russian since 2003)

Good luck!

Yeah legit confused over here. I never tried hard just spent my younger years paying mmo's and then the last 5 programming. Touch typing just came naturally.

It came naturally to me to just use two fingers. I've been using computers since I was 8, I'm 21 now. I just never learned the right way I guess.

>tfw adult Dyspraxia

It's literally impossible for me to be able to type with anything more than two fingers because I can't control all my fingers independently and even on two fingers my highest wpm is ~15

You were so old that you didn't have typewriters either?