/oct/ - retro, vintage, old computer thread

Who's /old computer/ here?

Other urls found in this thread:

computer-specifications.com/specifications/Toshiba-T2100-Specs.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I do love myself a good shitbox thread.

Monochrome shitposting!

Nice one Op. I always wanted an A600, and one of pic related

Interesting, SAM Coupé is a pretty rare one.

Guts

Back then computers used to have souls, we put our own souls in them.

They used to have aesthetics, they weren't just crap boxes you post about on Facebook what you are for morning.

hehe nice man and no ads ;)

No distracting and annoying shit in general.

>post about on Facebook what you are for morning.

>expecting coherency from europoors

ate* not are, missed by one key, my left hand is in bandages so I forgive myself.

Ohh boy how I miss being alone in the dark, with that glorious green text, it just felt right, Too bad I can't afford such luxury anymore...

thinking about setting up a 98 machine what would you nigs reccomend

Pentium MMX or Pro, ATI Rage 128+Voodoo 2, max out RAM, Sound Blaster AWE32.
At least that's my machine. (Pentium Pro with 196MB RAM)

How about some 68k web browsing?

>aesthetics

finally, a general for this shit

they pop up from time to time

>5160
>CD-ROM

thats a keyboard

i remember zip disks...

is that an oscilloscope with words?

thats a troll

i remember trolls...

is that a troll with shitposts?

Comfy mode activated.

confy/10

I prefer that aspect ratio quite frankly

I want to click that Age of Empires 2 icon badly

t-this is bringing back m-memories of a more simpler time

>not going all out with beige speakers
Ruins the aesthetic tbqh family.

well now i have to post...

How hard would it to build a decent computer in one of these beige cases? I wamt max comfy and a nostalgic sleeper setup.

I'm only looking to browse the net and draw with SAI. I don't plan on running games so I don't need a fancy GPU.

I had a pair but I blew them up by plugging in the wrong power adapter. I've been meaning to check at Goodwill if they have any.

>sleeper pc

newshit in oldshit case

>simulated wood grain
>mouse pad that looks like you picked it up at a garage sale
>beige everything
9/10, knocking off a point because it's not in the living room

Any of you guys able to identify this? Or what it might be used for?

Some old logic add-on board for some mainframe probably.
Why you ask, got one laying around?

looks like part of a computer, lol

That guy was probably making shitloads.
Wonder how's he doing today.

Older pic of the same box.

>A600
Fuck year! A600 is best Amiga.

Actually no, it's the sexiest and cutest one, but sadly not the best, painful to upgrade and no AGA.
It does however matter less now-a-days after the 500, 600 and 1200 all getting the same specs Vampire accelerators.

Is this real? What is it?

Can you really use some ancient computer to browse Sup Forums and simple shit like that? I adore the aesthetics of the amber or green text. Even early windows 95/98 looks dope. What would you guys recommend that is usable in this age?

Hi user did you know your house is infested with a giant rat?

love these threads

Posting to see if it's the same, not sure

It's an T2100
computer-specifications.com/specifications/Toshiba-T2100-Specs.html
and yeah, that one could probably browse Sup Forums easily

Yes, I actually keep this thing as a pet

No, the GRiD was way older.

Real hot user!

I finally found an OS disk for pic related, I'm so excited

Why don't you show us? Genuinely curious!

Actually mine's later model with a slightly redesigned outer case
The disk should be here on august first, after searching for a year and a half I finally found one on ebay, I'm really hoping the drives still work I haven't been able to test them

Well, I wish you the best.

> it's the sexiest and cutest one,
So best one.

("Gay Related Immune Deficiency")

I wanna write software for it. 4mhz processor, and 64k of ram, it'll be fascinating to try and tackle a programming challenge with that low of a ceiling to work with. Software isn't optimized anymore, you've got really wasteful programs eating up more CPU time then they have any right to because we've got the extra horsepower to burn, but you just can't match the elegance of those early programs

But it can't play Slam Tilt...
It's like a pretty blonde, dumb but pretty and you will be wanting more after a while.

That's obviously his dog idiot

I miss the days of minimalist code and specialized chips. Now everything is just brute-forced through software.

I wonder if learning to code for an old system like a C64 would teach me some new things about optimizing my code.

Meh, my 600 was my first Amiga, and my 500 is a bit shit and needs to be taken apart for a cleaning, so I will standby my 600 until I can be bothered to do that.

>lxde

good taste

I love my 600, but I'd like an fully loaded 1200, but I don't want a load of machines, so getting an Vampire for the 600 is probably a better idea, I'm already on the waiting list.
I also have a non-working 500 and I have used a 1200 too.

That's why I'm so excited to get my osborne up and running, especially since the Z80 it runs is binary compatible with the intel 8080

Now-a-day's it's easier to waste CPU time then developer time.

I doubt I will ever see a 1200 for sale here seeing how everyone that has one will keep theirs until either the owner or the machine dies. Going to look into reserving a Vampire for the 500 and the 600 myself when I get a job again.

>poppy seed hot dog bun
>that little bag for fries
So where in Chicagoland are you?

They pop up on eBay from time to time, also Amiga forums.
Even local sites, rarely.
It's more a matter of luck or just pure money.
For 300 bucks you could get one for sure, but you never know in what state it is in.
My 600 is top notch, I was the first one to open it up, it has never seen the sun and is as white as on the day it was taken out of it's box, the original caps were even working like new and no damage anywhere, I'm fucking happy with it.

To add to that, you are right tho, as time goes on, less and less it's being sold and the prices have doubled in the past few years.

Hell yeah. Southwestern suburbs just west of I-355. I got it from a place named Joey's that opened nearby. Good stuff.

what are the specs of something like that?

>37MHz 68020, MC68882 FPU
>2MB CHIP+10.5MB FAST RAM
>ECS chipset + Indivision ECS Scandoubler/FlickerFixer up to 256 colors and resolutions of 1024x768
>3.1 ROM + MapROM/ShadowROM
>4GB CF IDE
Plus stuff like PCMCIA WIFI and VGA monitor, USB mouse (with adapter) and the original floppy drive, also using a desktop computer PSU.

So pretty much does all the general stuff like playing MP3's and playing Doom, shitposting on Sup Forums.

>ketchup on hotdogs
>ketchup on fries

He's from the Chicago area. I guarantee it's not for the hot dog.

The pic is of a Toshiba T3100e. Has a 286, capable of running Windows 3.1, it has Calmira installed so it looks like 95.

>ketchup on fries

Well fuck, never seen butthurt before because people have different tastes.

go suck some mayonnaise you french toad.

>not using Good Burger sauce on both.

>LewdSkunk !CATR3FC/rc
Oh boy, another shitty and annoying trip joins Sup Forums.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Mayonnaise is gross, and I'm not French.

nigger you eat french fries dry? what the fuck why dont you just eat a baked potato?

My case is from about 2006 if I remember correctly, is it old enough?

Not him, but I usually eat salted dry fries if they are straight from the frier, homemade of course.
But I don't mind ketchup.

If you can't eat fries on their own, then they are shit fries.

Why don't you just drink a bottle of ketchup? You probably would though.

seriously though who doesnt eat french fries with ketchup?

A lot of places sell shit fires, that's why they are so keen providing you with sauce for them.

Everyone that's not a fat American pretty much.

Peri Peri sauce here. Enjoy your sugar filled "tomato" sauce while I have my Chilli sauce containing 80% vegetable oil.

Woah woah, calm down faggot's, this ain't a food thread nor board.

niggers dont know about my chick-fil-a sauce.

That sounds p good. I usually just eat fries salted, but sometimes I make them with a bunch of paprika.

Do you ever use it to browse Sup Forums or other webpages outside of being just for fun?

Not really, but I used to play a MUD with it (and other oldies I have) that I have been playing for time to time.
Oh and also mail, actually used it for mail quite often when I was all set up, it's in a side room right now so I don't get on it that much anymore.

No, just >>/ck/

In the event that's not old enough, is this Thinkpad from 1996 old enough?

when it was*

I had a Compaq Armada 1120 on what I used to run DSL on.