Why is VP9 disabled on Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

puu.
puu.
twitter.com/AnonBabble

because it's botnet

Because it's shit

Because lazy.

Lack of HW decoder support making them especially hard to run on mobile devices and on less powered devices. Encoding is still slow but I find that a non-issue with small file sizes Sup Forums deals with anyway. A part of too.

if moot cared about that he'd allow h264 instead

Only thing hiroshimoot cares about is that sweet American dollar.

For web content that barely has any benefit over VP8 and the containers aren't as handy as webm.

He never posts on Sup Forums either. moot at least popped in and posted on occasion. Fucking anti-social bastards these nips.

>Lack of HW decoder support

Most devices lack VP8 HW decoding as well, dumbass.

But neither VP8 or VP9 are hard to decode anyway, so it doesn't matter for Sup Forums.

>But neither VP8 or VP9 are hard to decode anyway
VP9 very much is and VP8 HW decoding is still more common. Ever tried playing VP9 content on your phone?

I'm just thinking reasons why it isn't implemented here other than someone being lazy. I don't think these are reasons not to implement it however.

>Ever tried playing VP9 content on your phone?

No, but I tried on a super shit 10 year old PC and it was a piece of cake, just like VP8.

Give me a link to a VP9 vid, I'll try it on my phone.

puu.
sh/qgdLu/f021269088.webm

Thanks, I really needed to know a cleaner way to circumvent the filter.

Thanks user for delivering. I'm at work and unable to encode to VP9 or upload shit from my HDD.

It plays fine on a Samsung S4 mini.

You should try at least 720p to stress it more. It can be a shorter clip too.

anyone know of a webm encoder for android that uses vp8? all the ones that I've found use vp9. no, I'm not compiling anything.

puu.
sh/qggzL/65b720e280.webm

60 FPS.

Nope, this one doesn't play properly (on the phone).

Can you up the same video as VP8?

It plays fine on mine, but there is no sound, and it needs some time before it starts playing. Perhaps it decodes beforehand?

VP8
puu.
sh/qghIK/f3963ddf1d.webm

>VP8
Same with this one. Slow, choppy playback just like with VP9.

Bottom line so far: it doesn't matter if it's VP8 or VP9, both suck if it's high fps/res.
Until I see an edge case where VP8 plays properly and same quality VP9 doesn't...

BTW, I'm using Firefox on the phone. Maybe with Chrome it would work better, but I can't be bothered to dl it.

>browsing Sup Forums on a phone

I agree, it's stupid.
I'm only doing it now to test VP8/9 playback.

because moot put a "vp8 is the only video codec allowed in webms" limitation in there and mootwo is too lazy to change it

Because there's that one cocksucker that uses Safari and he doesn't want to leave him out.

So the bottom line is that compatibility is not an excuse, as those who already enjoy WebMs can switch to VP9 just ifne.

The bottom line is that I don't see any difference in decoding performance.

As for compatibility, I think browsers that support VP8 by now support VP9 as well...

It's most likely just Hiroshimoot being lazy. Surely someone asked him, right?