He fell for the M.2 meme

>he fell for the M.2 meme

how are you enjoying your motherboard damage?

Other urls found in this thread:

bjorn3d.com/2008/09/gigabyte-9800-gt-an-overclockers-dream/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What motherboard damage?

So the chips get a little hot. Point a fan at them.

This but...

>TWO HUNDRED FUCKING DEGREES

What the FUCK Samsung?

>Image clearly shows a maximum of 108C
>"TWO HUNDRED FUCKING DEGREES"
Dyslexia much?

200 degrees? I see 100.

100C is 200F+

Dude was converting temps

This is good to know.
This is easily fixed with a $0.05 aluminium heatsink and a little thermal glue, but you're right in that it is a problem.
Heatsinks fix it though.

Oh shit i was about to buy that SM951 yesterday

Welp, better start putting on some heatsinks on them

what is the max temp of the chip?

It's motherboard controller near south bridge you are looking at, not the actual ssd.

My old 8800gt got to 110c, it never complained after 10 hour days of gaming, stop being such a wuss.

>using Fahrenheit
Opinion discarded

wat?

just checked anandtech review of 950 ssd with heatsink. thermal bottlenecks affect ssd performance that much? fuark. :/

Oh, well, it's fucked then.
950 pro is supposed to throttle and keep temps to 70degrees.

>200 degrees

what? it would instantly melt the motherboard. Could you possibly be an ameritard?

how much room inside a laptop case?

Jokes on you.
I use full disk encryption so my 950 Pro is throttled by the CPU.

>Storage throttling

Ladies and gentleman, 2016.

>F
kill yourself

>Storage throttling

Ladies and gentleman, Samshit.
FTFY

That's what happens when your storage is blazin' fast.

>Ladies and gentleman

>using base 100 like a simple bitch instead of glorious 360 degrees

>2016

>not going the harem route

You're full of shit, my 8800GT crashes out at like 87C.

>using sata/pcie 2x m.2 slots for pci-e 4x m.2s
no wonder the speeds are shit, the average retard is too uninformed to used m.2s properly. plenty of reviewers don't even utilize the bandwidth

nothing you just said made sense

Your 8800GT was shit. Mine also went above 100 degrees regularly without problems.

Until it died after a year or so.

>my 8800GT is shit, so everybody else's must be too

I have an 8800GT and it works fine at ~95C

lmao a drive getting that hot wouldn't last 2 years, enjoy your SSDs while you can meme.2 fags

>watercooled SSD

I still have a 9800GT and it only ever hit the 80Cs it has a zalman copper cooler and was reviewed as an overclocker's dream back when it came out though.

bjorn3d.com/2008/09/gigabyte-9800-gt-an-overclockers-dream/

>yfw watercooling hdd's is a thing

those are nvme ssds dumbass.

it's like saying pcie is shit because the rx480 damages motherboards.

wth

That's the point of Failenheight.

If you're using the front or having enough space on the back, I'd advice RAM chip coolers.

you're not supposed to write on an ssd all the time. they are designed for writing once, reading infinite times. In a real life scenario on a consumer pc, you don't just write on an ssd for the entire day at full speed. if you are torrenting, it wont create as much heat because of power states. and also it wont be fully utilized in general.

same here, 256 or 512? 512 reporting in

Indeed. What the fuck is going on in your pick? Russian LAN party with chicken as dinner?

They're ukrainians

Their School

fucking gooks man

It doesn't though

Same diff.

that's nothing , my old agp 6600GT would hit 127C until I tightened the thumbscrews on the back and got it to 110

>M.2
>In a desktop.

People actually do that?

I do. I load the OS and other general use programs on it. Then I have other SSDs for my media and game library.

I mean why not use PCIe

What's that gonna damage? Anyway gonna just put a tiny heatsink on it if needed. Waiting for 960 Pro before doing that however.

Speak american you retard

Why not?

Its not even a problem unless you're doing HUGE file transfers for hours of your day. Which 95% of people wont be doing. For regular use as a boot SSD, you'll never need a heatsink on it and it wont thermal throttle.

I own one, I also own an IR thermometer and it takes awhile for it to heat up anywhere near that point.

Because real PCI SSDs cost a lot more than a 950 Pro M.2 from samsung. And further, the majority of PCI SSDs for consumers out on the market at the moment are just PCI half/full height adapter cards for M.2 Drives, they just slap an M.2 SSD on the PCI card, it's no different than using the M.2 slot on your motherboard but it takes up a PCI slot instead. Woooo. Whats the point?

Because they are very expensive. A 128GB M.2 for OS and essential programs is more than enough. I use cheap SSDs for muh games and media. I'll just load the entire game into a ramdisk anyway for 0.4% improved loading times.

- harder to access.
- severe size restraints, can't use heat-sinks.
- thermal throttling.
- limited to 4X.

>Whats the point?

Better cooling, so better performance and more durable.

>limited to 4X
The 950 Pro with it's 2200mb/s read speeds can't saturate an x4 PCIe 3.0 link, so what's your point?

>harder to access
Not if you have a decent UEFI BIOS

>can't use heat-sinks
Uhhhh says fucking who? It would be trivial to put a heatsink on my 950 Pro, it wouldn't get in the way of literally anything in my case.

>thermal throttling
Not an issue unless you're working with huge files regularly or are regularly transferring data to a RAID array or similar device that can transfer data at several hundred MB/s, which is probably not very often for 95% of people.

If you're using it for an OS drive, you'll pretty much never run into thermal throttling.

>harder to access.
I don't think this is a valid concern for home users who keep their drives stationary anyway, especially if you installed your operating system on it. If you mean this as accessibility in your system(UEFI), not really if you have a decent motherboard.
>severe size restraints, can't use heat-sinks
Small size is a double edged sword. I personally like having 512 GB of really fast storage in a tiny drive lower than many other components on the motherboard. You can use heat-sinks on them which are mostly useless.
>thermal throttling
Never experinced it but then again my drive isn't the one which I constantly use to transfer massive amounts of data back and forth.
>limited to 4X
That's plenty fast for most uses. Heck I'm struggling to find scenarios where I could even use more. And I don't think there's an M.2 drive on a market that can actually use the 4X lane fully.

I've seen lots of comments about heatsinks, just wondering if it's feasible to put one on if it's in a Chromebook or change Chromebook form factor notebook

What?

The fuck have you been smoking?
Where?

They work for some religious organization in exchange for internets.

Just brainfart, nevermind.

Promise me that'll never happen again.

Man, that's a serious promise. I need to think about it before I can give you any answer.

>better cooling

I dont really see the need, unless you regularly transfer 50GB+ files all day every day you wont even notice thermal throttling.

It didn't even get a chance to thermal throttle when I did a test with a 12GB movie.

58c at it's hotest spot during idle and only about 68c during the 12GB file transfer (around 550MB/s as I dont have another M.2 SSD to test)

So like I said, for 99% of people thermals are not even close to mattering.

>overheating and throttling

if I wanted a Mac I'd get one

While I wish that u.2 was becoming the predominant choice in the consumer/professional workstation segment instead of m.2, I kind of get why things aren't all that bad.

Unless you have a 10GbE or fatter network connection, the only flat-out transfers a normal user makes with an SSD is a bulk read to memory of files small enough to fit in memory (i.e., usually only several GB at most), which won't be nearly enough to start thermal throttling.

Virtually nobody really had a workflow of just constantly shuffling huge files between memory and an SSD in an ATX workstation.

>Virtually nobody really had a workflow of just constantly shuffling huge files between memory and an SSD in an ATX workstation

yup, which is why I keep saying

>for 99% of people thermals are not even close to mattering.

Good, couple it with a RX 480 and you have a recipe for major housefire.

>150 watts
>housefire
Why does it seem like nvidiots just keep getting dumber and dumber

the thermal throttling is what keeps it from literally setting itself on fire, anyone who allows their semiconductors to run at such temps is a fucking hambeast that should no be allowed out of it's cage.
The blazing temps significantly reduce reliability...

Blazing temps? The OP post shows it only start throttling at 108C, Mine topped out at ~69C during a 12GB file transfer.

Like I said, unless you regularly transfer 50GB+ files all day every day, you wont give a fuck about thermal throttling because it wont effect you.

user, you're just not understanding the fundamental use case for this device if you really think it will be limited by thermals.

>using fahrenheit for computer shit
off yourself you stupid nigger

i assume this is the ssd meme but OPs post means nothing

They're perfect for mITX builds because there's two less cables you have to manage with m.2.

There's no fire risk, but the RX480 ref design can pull ever so slightly more than the 75W limit from the mobo slot, which could in theory cause system stability issues with weak PSUs and/or mobo VRMs.

That said, the only thing that legitimately pisses me off about AMD this year is that Vega/HBM2 slid to this winter, leaving Kikevidya to sell $700 cards with 256b memory buses.

>legitimately pisses me off about AMD this year is that Vega/HBM2 slid to this winter
This is what pisses me off as well

RX480 pulling more than the PCI spec effects almost no one unless they are running a shitty motherboard from 5+ years ago.

No, it's not.

First generation products have a lot of kinks that need to be worked out, what's new? Doesn't mean the m.2 connector is obsolete.

my 8600gt also went up to 100C+

>That's what happens when your storage is blazin' fast.
Literally.

This whole m.2 meme looks retarded to me.
But hey, it's a toy for the rich anyway, normies and power users would just use normal SSD drives anyway. And pci-ex ones. Not m.2.

But m.2 isn't for the rich. Sata m.2 drives cost about as much as regular sata SSDs. At the most, m.2 offers no benefit for the same money besides using less cables. The price of storage is always going down, affordable m.2 PCIe drives will be here in no time.