/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/b6gpb

Other urls found in this thread:

ffmpeg.org/download.html
trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/vpxEncodingGuide
ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/WebM
openprinting.org/printers
sane-project.org/lists/sane-mfgs-cvs.html
hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install_wizard/index.html
hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/
aur.archlinux.org/package-name.git
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_terminology#KISS
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux#Simplicity
web.archive.org/web/20020802133355/http://archlinux.org/logos.php
web.archive.org/web/20020605061933/http://www.archlinux.org/faq.php
github.c.com/mpv-player/mpv)
launchpad.net/~mc3man/ archive/ubuntu/mpv-tests
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's just GNU/Linux Thread, not Friendly/GNU/Linux Thread.

Edgy

Why on earth would I want to use i3-gaps? Aren't tiling WM supposed to optimize window space?

>Aren't tiling WM supposed to optimize window space?

Yes, but the meta-game for ricing your desktop is to have gaps between tiled windows with pastel colors everywhere.

On the theme of i3, is there a way to get alternating colors when having open multiple tabs? When I have say 4 tabs they kind of blend because they're all the same color.

I like to use gaps with 1px borders.

It maximizes space while not having huge borders to differentiate between windows.

By tab color I mean the top bar that turns blue for the current active tab. I'd like inactive tabs to have a different color than their neighbour in the same container.

I have a bunch of huge gifs I want to convert to webm. What ffmpeg settings should I use to get the best quality?

-quality good -cpu-used 0

will give about the same quality as -quality best IIRC

If you have used a tiling wm without gaps for a while, you're thankful about some gaps that help you distinguish the windows. Additionally it feels less "claustrophobic".

Pasta:

Sup Forums’s guide to converting GIF to WebM

Grab ffmpeg from ffmpeg.org/download.html

It's a command line tool which means you will have to type things with your keyboard instead of clicking on buttons.

The most trivial operation would be converting gifs:

ffmpeg -i your_gif.gif -c:v libvpx -crf 12 -b:v 500K output.webm

-crf values can go from 4 to 63. Lower values mean better quality.
-b:v is the maximum allowed bitrate. Higher means better quality.

To convert a part of a video file:

ffmpeg -i your_video.mkv -ss 00:00:10.000 -to 00:00:20.000 -c:v libvpx -crf 4 -b:v 1500K -vf scale=640:-1 -an output.webm

-ss is the start position in number of seconds, or in hh:mm:ss[.xxx] format. You can get it using your video player (Ctrl-G in MPC-HC).
-to is the end position.
-vf scale=640:-1 sets the width to 640px. The height will be calculated automatically according to the aspect ratio of the input.
-an disables audio. Sup Forums will reject your files if they contain audio streams.

Another encoding guide: trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/vpxEncodingGuide
ffmpeg documentation: ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html

Current limits for WebM files on Sup Forums are:

Maximum file size is 3072KB.
Maximum duration is 120 seconds.
Maximum resolution is 2048x2048 pixels.
No audio streams.

Actual limitations:

Current limits for WebM files on Sup Forums are:

Maximum file size is 4096KB.
Maximum duration is 300 seconds (5 minutes).
Maximum resolution is 2048x2048 pixels.
No audio streams except on /gif/ and /wsg/. (use -an)

Current limits for WebM files on 42chan are:

Maximum file size is 8192KB.
Maximum resolution is 10000x10000 pixels.
Audio streams permitted globally.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/WebM

I like you.
>you're thankful about some gaps that help you distinguish the windows
No I'm not. I can distinguish very well between different windows without gaps, thats what borders and colors are for....
Sorry, I can't help you.

I miss when these threads moved fast and I could sit here all day and have something to do. Now I'm bored all the time.

Reposting from last thread:
Getting real tired of running Nvidia proprietary drivers. It shits itself with every kernel update despite them doing DKM modules and it's frustrating since I have to switch to integrated graphics whenever it does i to reinstall. How's AMDGPU right now with the 4.7 kernel? I'm tempted to just ditch the 970 and sideupgrade to a RX480 when the stock stabilizes. I don't even mind installing AMDGPU PRO if I can get more performance. That's their main disadvantage, but if it can handle console emulation and some games at decent fps, then I might just do it.

The only time this thread moves quickly now is when summerfags get into shitposting wars.
Everything else is "I'm installing lanux for first time why dosnt insatller wurk?!?"

Void Linux seems to be the most sane distro out there but how much of a Linux guru do you need to be to run it?

You misspelled Debian.

>systemd
>sane

Even the most hardcore of apologists would hesitate to agree with you.

You don't need to use systemd, newfag.

Does the phrase "sane defaults" mean anything to you?

Buttons 9 and 8 of my mouse not working while using py3status on_click handler, however, they work when tested on xev or browser. Any workaround?

>sane
hipster*

what multifunction printer/scanners work out of the box? any recently released/widely available ones? what manufacturers of mfp are good about supporting loonux?

i have a brother right now. printing works out of the box using a similar but not same driver from cups, or i can download specific driver from brother. scanning requires me to download a brscan deb from brother and another deb if i don't want to manually fidget with udev permissions.

this is annoying but ok for me, but not workable for the nontechnical should i ever want to hand off a computer to someone. that or should i just install windows 10 and lock the admin account password away somewhere so they can't fuck their shit up?

When someone starts with the systemd is bad meme, you usually know that this someone is a memer himself, trying to fit in, but really has no idea what he is talking about.

/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/py3status/__init__.py
Line 287-294:
if not key.startswith('on_click'):
config[section_name][key] = value
else:
# on_click special parameters
try:
button = int(key.split()[1])
if button not in range(1, 6):
raise ValueError('should be 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5')

Try expanding that range in the second to last line from 6 to 10 and see if it helps.

openprinting.org/printers

>only talks about printing and not scanning
i looked at hp's site since i recall their hplip stuff getting picked up whenever i install cups, but all their scanning functionality requires additional download ("driver plugin") too.

locate py3status | grep init
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/py3status/__init__.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/py3status/__init__.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/py3status/modules/__init__.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/py3status/modules/__init__.pyc
Opened every one of them but there are no lines like the ones yo posted.

sane-project.org/lists/sane-mfgs-cvs.html

some of the devices there are multifunction printer/scanners

hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install_wizard/index.html
hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/
Do your own research

This is what happens when people are not constructive. Shitposting and distro wars will get you no where.

Get constructive, post useful things, post your own how-twos, discuss about it, improve it.

You're not "guru" enough to know how to install it, but you somehow know it's the most "sane" distribution out there?
What an idiot you are.

grep -Rn for on_click in dist-packages/py3status and look around it for any sort of range being defined for the buttons

F R I E N D L Y
F R I E N D L Y

I'm working on a universal and to-go guide for setting up DNS services for the newfriends. What should I mention? DNSCrypt+DNSMasq? Unbound?

I love you, it worked. Had to change it twice. Ended up being /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/py3status/i3status.py file, which had two blocks defining range.

if I use yaourt to install 2bwm how would I go about finding the source, editing the config.h, and recompiling?

Yes I want to use yaourt and not just clone and compile it so I can have packman recognise it as a package.

yaourt is trash, just use cower (or nothing) and build it yourself with makepkg. That way you have complete control.

Why is yaourt trash and why is cower better? can I edit config files with cower?

>git clone aur.archlinux.org/package-name.git
>cd package-name
>makepkg
>pacman -U new-package.xz

Read the man page for makepkg to get the options for unpacking source without immediately building, etc. so you can edit before continuing the build process.

What are you thoughts on Snap packages /fglt/ ?

>git clone
$cd /tmp && curl -O
$tar -xvf package.tar.gz && cd package/ && makepkg -wri

>wri
sri*

When did I say I don't know how to install it? You sounds like a very angry person.

My proprietary Nvidia drivers don't shit themselves with every kernel update.
What are you doing?

You're not familiar with the AUR are you?

cancer

Oh that edge

When I run pacman -Syu will these get updated as well?

No. Checking for and updating all AUR packages is where an AUR-helper can come in handy, but ever since AUR moved to git yaourt is far too bloated for just that task.

Ah damn. What would you recommend then, or were you the one who recommended cower for that.

This is a friendly thread.

Stupid shit I don't want

Why do you think it's stupid, care to explain ?

Since snaps packages are isolated and distro independent, closed source devs may actually port their applications for Linux via snaps. So, yeah it's cool

The truth about Arch Linux:
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

Where do people get all these ideas about minimalism and shit?

The main draw of Arch is it's really easy to maintain since the packages are so streamlined.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_terminology#KISS
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux#Simplicity

Cower just searches, checks for updates and downloads (all done manually) and you just makepkg it. It's better because you have more control. And yes, you can configure it first unlike yaourt that does it automatically.

They sometimes work after an update, but they didn't on the last update to 4.6.4.

Yeah, simple. I type pacman -S package and package gets installed and works because every optional feature is compiled so nothing will have a chance to be missing.

Like on every other distro.

>A snap is a fancy zip file containing an application together with its dependencies

Not only would that require you to reinstall copies of those dependencies over and over again, it also means that they would use those dependencies, not those on your system you can control.

Debian or Fedora for a laptop?

what is static linking

>pacman -S package
You're not supposed to do that, you're risking a partial update and system breakage.

Have you ever even used Arch before?

he's right
pacman -Syu firefox

>pacman -S
Why not a proper switch like -i or even more simple: apt-get install :)

Running -Sy then installing packages is a partial update. If you just -S then you're still getting the package versions of the last time you did an upgrade (unless you waited too long and the old versions were purged from the repo).

Found the first Arch logo (2002) on wayback machine,

Oh, you're right, I was wrong.

web.archive.org/web/20020802133355/http://archlinux.org/logos.php
web.archive.org/web/20020605061933/http://www.archlinux.org/faq.php

i: Information
S: Synchronise

How do I append text to the end of a file in vi. When hitting L my cursor only goes to the last space, and I have to use the arrow keys (in insert mode) to get further

G -> A

G goes to the last line, A goes to the end of the line and switches to insert mode.

If you want to insert on a new line instead of the end of the last existing line, then use o instead of A.

Thank you user for saving me like 2 minutes of googling.

i used unetbootin to install debian but when i select it on the list i get this. any help?

options are
enter = OS selection and esc = uefi settings

Hey guys

I just installed Ubuntu on my system and I'm completely new to this.

What commands should I run if I want to download mpv from github? (github.c.com/mpv-player/mpv)

I assume I'll also have to compile the package before I can use it, right? How would I go about that?

try dissabling secure boot.

ALWAYS try and download everything through you package manager sudo apt-get install mpv

All right, then what?
Do I compile it now or something?

You don't have to compile it, it's included in the official repos.

I'm running ubuntu 14.04 on my old asus u31f, and i get the occasional slowdown. its on a 500 Gb HDD, and i was wondering, will i see much improvement if i swap that for a 120 Gb SSD and install 16.04. the rest of the specs are in pic related, the HDD is also partitioned to fit windows, but the SSD would be ubuntu only. Also are there other options that are easier for my laptop to run, but will still allow me to use things like matlab and openfoam?

Did I fuck up somewhere

fug wrong image

Sometimes software included in a distro's official packages are broken (fucking Ubuntu) so you have to install them via a PPA
launchpad.net/~mc3man/ archive/ubuntu/mpv-tests

Yes, you fucked up. Do you have any other mpv packages installed. Do an update first and then try

turning off secure boot makes it go "no bootable device"

should i change boot order?

Don't think I did anything of the sort

hmm see

Wait, it just gave me this.

Using Ubuntu at uni + VM for univerity purpous.
Want to ditch Windows entirely.
Tend to install Debian but there is a flamewar about systemd (lol no clue what that even does)
So I am now struggleling with
Debian vs Slackware

Is Slackware doable for a beginner? Is it a good chopice for a purely desktop every-day system, not a heavy programmer's rig?
Will it be a system just running and doing its work, or will it fail on me, when I need it most (programming, writing papers, fapping)?

Kinda ditched the idea of using Arch or Gentoo.

kek install youtube-dl, mpv will come as a dep automatically

>try to generate key pair with gpg
>Hurrrr we don have enuf entropy xDD
How to fix?

If you type in that command and press tab twice when your cursor is at the end of "mpv", what does it suggest? I remember having some issues installing mpv on Ubuntu as well.

Is that a joke?

systemd flamewar is just like raising storm over tea cup. You don't need to worry about it if you are new

Slackware is quite outdated. Everyone is using systemd now. Just give in already.