Mitx PCs

>Upgrade to mITX + watercooling
>Awesome, now my computer will be small and quiet, which is great for my dorm room
>Computer is now small and LITERALLY SILENT
>In a strange way, I feel like the computer is now less powerful because it's missing literally all the hallmarks of a powerful PC
This is fucking surreal
Also, why don't more people build mitx builds? This thing is WAY easier to move around than my old pc, and some cases (like this one) don't even require you to get smaller shittier parts (even if I had to remove one of the drive caddy's to shove extra cables into to fit my resivour)

I see no disadvantages with mATX but itx just seems so expensive and a pain in the ass
also
>watercooling
>ever

I moved my mATX build into a low profile case for similar portability. It's arguably more portable since it's easy to carry under one arm.

I also reconsidered what fans I needed. Previously I had just connected all the fans that came with my case - turns out I can actually maintain acceptable temperatures without any case fans at all. So my PC is near-silent now too!

Of course, it only works because I already had a low-profile gpu.

I've been thinking about doing a watercooled mATX Titan X build once it arrives, but I'm not sure if I should drop 3k on a build.

I barely fucking play computer anymore and I still want to build the latest and greatest.

>still want the greatest
Same here. Never touch games anymore unless I am at a friends house or something. At this point I am just trying to justify getting a newer nVidia card to match my 4790k but I doubt I will upgrade my 7870 until it dies. Since I don't game I underclocked the GPU to achieve near silence (runs at 60% fan speed @ idle @ stock clock)

If you can cool your entire system with a single 240mm rad you didn't need watercooling in the first place.
Decent watercooling cases are all mATX.

I can get why one would want a silent pc but getting the newest and greatest is retarded consumerist culture
kys

But if you have the money, there's no real reason not to.

I am planning on building one OP. nothing over the top.

maybe i3 skylake or i5
midtier cheap gpu
muh rams etc.
god cooling

sounds fun and minimal

Any good setup recs?

Truuuu but try building a CNN without any CUDA cores like I am right now. Shit is painfully slow relative to what it would be with a current nVidia card. So it isn't consumerist.

>kys

Rude.

watercooling is nosier than a proper air cooler. also retarded and leaks will most definitely happen

temperature difference is minimal and the fucking motor noise is retarded. why do people keep pushing this stupid shit?

decent air coolers don't fit into most mITX cases

If you get the right pump it's completely silent. I can hear my HDD from across the room, but I can't hear my pump from 10cm away. (Magicool DCP450)

For a high end system watercooling is great.
For an ITX build it's retarded.

It's entirely valid for mITX tho. With mATX you can still squeeze a D14 into a case as small as the TJ08B-E, which even has a 180mm fan, but mITX is a whole other ball game in terms of size restrictions. You're pretty much straight-up limited to using top-down slim coolers.
Water coolers maintain much better efficiency as you scale down, and in a cramped ITX case you're still getting good mileage out of it, but just about any air cooler is going to be starved for air flow, not even just because of limited radiator size, but because ITX cases almost never feature a direct airflow path, and those that do are already close to mATX size (Manta, Define Nano).

16cm CPU coolers (i.e. even the big Noctua things) fit in a lot of ITX cases. They just don't fit on every ITX board.
If you choose your components right you can have a completely silent ITX build on air.

AIO watercooling is a meme. Custom water cooling makes no sense in an ITX format.

Those 16cm coolers won't be adequate for a 4790K/6700K, let alone overclocked.

I really want to make one of these small computers to take over to friend's and to conventions and play fighting games, beat-em-ups, etc on.

How much would it cost to build a small "console" sized computer like this that's capable of playing SFV and Tekken 7 on it?

you're a dumbass

why the fuck would you overclock a SFF system? Are you some dumb gaymer ricer faggot? For anything else even rendering 3d shit or audio/video production air-cooling with a decent cooler is sufficient

>No water-cooled
Why not

leaks
motor noise
minimal temp difference
it's like you people have to be told one by one that you're retarded

i want to do itx but i don't want to have to redo all of windows again b/c i read that changing your motherboard invalidates windows

I can't decide between a 400q for the excellent sounds dampening or a 250d for shear portability

Yes we do

I couldn't care less what you think of course, just that you give me the information

p400s without the stupid window

instead of that 400q, of course. otherwise you can also look at the phanteks mitx. not shilling, but i got a p400 non-s for a friend and it's fucking nice even without the dampening

meme itx hehehehe

If you have actually bought windows just call the license support number for your country and tell them your old motherboard broke and you replaced it, costs nothing and takes like 15 minutes.

gatem

mITX limited to top-down coolers? What decade are you living in my friend? Pretty much every single ITX case these days have room for standing coolers with 120mm fans. I'm running a 212 evo on my itx rig, but could easily have fitted a D14 or similar if I needed the extra cooling.

Hi. I'm building my first PC and it happens to be mini itx. I figured out a lot but i have two questions

1. If I want 8 gigs of RAM do I just have to install one 8G RAM or two 4G RAMs? Because there are two slots on my motherboard.

2. If my motherboard supports Samsung Evo 850 SSD, will it also support Samsung Evo 750 SSD?

Assuming the motherboard is dual channel it will be faster to have 2 sticks of ram, but a single stick will also work just fine.

Motherboards don't support specific SSDs, rather specific BUSes to connect stuff. The most used BUS for storage is SATA, which is supported on all normal motherboards, and is what both the 850 and 750 uses.

SATA looks like pic related and the wires to connect the SSD will be supplied with the motherboard.

8gb stick will be better because then you can buy another later if you want more ram

Thanks guys hope you get laid this year

Also note that the speed increase by having two sticks in minimal and probably won't matter much if just gaming and such. Buy the 8GB.

hope for a smaller 400q

Really is there no other option?

I can't tell if that's a really nice thing to say or really mean.

So if you wanted your computer to be silent, why go with watercooling? Just use a passive CPU cooler instead. Lots of money wasted, you stupid twat.

Some people want their CPU to be able to do stuff as well, not just be silent.

Well guess what I have a passive cooler on my overclocked 6600 and it does not go above 65° even under the heaviest loads. We are not in 2007 anymore. Cooling is a meme

define nano s without the window

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Sexy but I cannot stand exposed ports on the front. Not part of the previous conversation btw

I also got my thin itx bundle today. Although I will not be playing games I was shocked how silent it already is.

Tomorrow I will remove the fan and put it in a fanless Akasa Euler case. It's also quite powerful with i7-6700t ( although no dedicated gpu)

then look into the phenom m mitx or matx. you can also switch panels to have the ports on what side you want

Just curious, OP
What water cooler are you using?
I am using an Corsair H50 and the radiator fan is loud as goddamn fuck - but yeah, mITX is sweet

>I am using an Corsair H50 and the radiator fan is loud as goddamn fuck
oh boy it sure was worth all that trouble and risk to use watercooling, amirite?

does anyone know a good case that's around the size of Valve's official "Steam Machine"? Hopefully there's one out there that's not over $100 but seems these specialty cases ALWAYS are.

I usually think watercooling isn't worth it, but what's with all the samefagging?

>Leaks
Maybe if you're retarded
>motor noise
no? You can't hear the pump at all if the case is closed. The things are very quiet, definitely enough to offset the sound a graphics card would actually make
>minimal temp difference
Maybe if you're not overclocking

Also, forgot to mention:
When it comes to smaller cases, WCing is a GREAT idea because cooling WILL be limited by how cluttered small cases get.

I'm thinking about ITX for my next build.
I'd like a really small case, as I use a NAS so only really need an SSD boot drive.

The M1 and A4 look great but are way too expensive and the Hadron Air is always out of stock.
Any similar sized cases out there?

Silverstone's RVZ cases are about console-size.

>watercooling
>silent

fantastic tale

Raijintek Metis is about the size of a Hardon but it's got a weird psu layout.

Watercooling is significantly quieter than literally any cooling method, what are you talking about? Rads let you mount bigger, quieter fans that blow over a larger surface area making them more efficient.

Thanks, looks pretty workable.

Water pumps make noise.
Water cooling can be QUIETER than air cooling IF YOU HAVE LOTS OF HEAT, but it can never be silent.
Air cooling can be silent.

Watercooling is perfectly quiet if you set the pump on something that absorbs vibrations (like foam). Components will make noise no matter what (hard drives, mobo cap noise, etc), the trick is just to reduce it enough that none of it escapes the enclosure.

Also, good luck having a silent air-cooled gaming PC unless you buy one of those gigantic expensive hush cases

>silent air-cooled gaming PC

Yeah, not possible. Well, in idle yes, but not at load. I'd never make such a claim.
For a quiet gaming PC water cooling makes sense.

For a ~silent non-gaming build, air cooling with big heatsinks and very slow fans is better.

Also, can't have any HDDs at all if you want a silent or even a very quiet build.