I need a laptop for college...

I need a laptop for college, I went by the Micocenter close to my house and a guy working there highly recommended this Acer laptop to me, it's not in the pic, but I can get a 12g ram stick put in for just 40 dollars, bringing the price of the laptop, Antivirus, Microsoft Office, and new ram stick to just under $840, the issue is that I've heard a lot of bad shit about Acer, but I'm not too well versed with technology, I don't want to waste almost $1,000 for a piece of shit, is it worth it Sup Forums?

>but I can get a 12g ram stick

No you can't.

go to bed matt.

used laptop off ebay

search the Sup Forums archives for recommendations bruh

K

that user is saying that there is no such thing as a 12GB ram stick. You'll either be getting x3 4gb ram or x1 8gb and x1 4gb.

That's 8 in addition to the 4 that comes with it. There is no single stick with 12 GB.

You normalfags are fucking retarded

also how the fuck are we supposed to say anything if you dont even tell us which acer laptop it is? Acer, like every other manufacturer, makes both good and bad laptops.

>15.6" 1366 x 768

How the hell does antivirus. office and extra 4gb of ram add $500 to the price?

Like I said, I'm pretty retarded with technology, I don't keep up with it, all I know is he said I can get it with 12gigs of ram instead of 4

It's and Acer Aspire E5

Microcenter senpai

get a t420 fag

>Acer Aspire e5
pls no
these things fall apart within the year

Sup Forums shills used business laptops for a reason, they're built to last and user repairable

Thanks senpai, guy I was talking to that recommended it seemed a little too happy to try and sell it, and with the price being so low I figured it was probably shit they wanted to get rid of

The screen is fucking crap, like a complete embarrassment, but the rest seems alright for a cheap typewriter.

It says HD, senpai. last I heard that's a buzzword for 1080p.

Post a picture of you dick, OP. It's all you're good for you stupid slut.

that computer is a piece of shit dude

Buy it for that price
Fuck antivirus, just dont be a retard
You dont really need more RAM if its just a note taker and paper writer
That screen is really shit though. How do they keep a straight face calling 768p HD? You can get a 4k panel from the chinks for like 300 bucks today.

HD is a buzzword for 1280x720 or above

B-b-but s-sempai this is a s-safe for w-work board

then use sli.mg

For laptops 99% of the time is 1280x720 or 1366x768, 1080p is fullhd or FHD.

do this

>5400RPM HDD
>DVD drive
>$500
>2016

Not OP, but I wish thinkpads were a bit more liberal with their keyboards. All the ones I've used have had really small and tight keys with no numpad. They feel pretty great, but I'd take crappy chicklet ones that are spaced a bit with regular sized keys over theirs any day.

Get a Thinkpad T420/430/420s whatever's your budget but make sure it's for the 1600x900 screen

They still fit those with 900p screens? How is 1080p not a standard yet? I know the 500 series have them.

he's talking about 3-4 year old laptops, sempai

>no numpad
it's fused with the normal letters but is sort of awkward to use

Yes they still fit 2011-2012 laptops with 900p screens because they've had them since 2011-2012

Also, the 500 series is larger and usually has a GPU, i'd be suprised if they didn't come with a better resolution to compensate

Yeah, never liked those. Dont think it was worth the sacrifice for those goddamn enormous speakers they fitted on either side.

then get a thinkpad made after 2012 with a 15.6" or bigger screen

Buy a Thinkpad X220 from eBay, and pirate Windows 7 and Office.

(for ~200€)

office is subscription based now and there are free antiviruse softwares, not that they are really needed unless youre retarded.

Do not pay for an antivirus. Use Comodo.

Do not pay for Office. Several alternatives exist, or you can just pirate it.

Both antivirus and Office 365 are recurring, permanently increasing costs.

I can somewhat attest to this. I have an e5-572g, which has had two of the keys fall out and the side USB ports collapse within the case. Still works fine though. Great specs for the price, but you get what you pay for.

So, would you say it's worth it? Or should I just shell out the extra cash for a business laptop as has been advised here? I'm not exactly swimming in money here, already paying for college, but I would like a laptop that will last me a good few years

>need a laptop for college
no you don't and fuck you for supporting this degeneracy