/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
## - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
## - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/b6gpb

Other urls found in this thread:

ring.cx/en#screenshots
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nonfree_applications_package_guidelines#Avoid_nonfree_software_when_possible
mydomain.com/App1
mydomain.com/App2
eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/command-not-found/ bug/1055766
stallman.org/
rms.sexy/
minifree.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Debian noobs please post top output

top output

>debian hates glock owners

>man top
>man scrot
>post it

hahaha
This is the best start to a fglt ive seen in months
oh fuck

>top
>not htop
What is wrong with you arch babby?

Holy fuck, why is it going so fast?

>prefers younger, less used, less tested version of top
>hates arch
nice brain, debian babby
How's that career in QA?

>scrot
Why? Usless extra package. Use ffmpeg, imagemagick, pleb.

Debian users have declared war on Arch users I think. Must be something to do with htop crashing on them.

>htop
Why? Usless extra package. Use top, ps, pleb.

Arch shitposter
I think it is because windows 10 stops being free now. It was just as fast when it released last year and all the refugees came here.

meanwhile no1 posts output for fear of DE bloat being recognized
>inb4 photoshopped output

Guess I have to fall in with my deb-bros.

People tend to install programs other people install.

that explains all the debian users in here

Please avoid using the term “photoshop” as a verb, meaning any kind of photo manipulation or image editing in general. Photoshop is just the name of one particular image editing program, which should be avoided since it is proprietary. There are plenty of free programs for editing images, such as the GIMP.

I think it's the other way around.

take a look
>

>actually use debian sid with dwm and posting from surf
>not gonna post it to trigger the archfag

So if I'm using GIMP I'm gimping my image?

Does greasemonkey scripts or css styles work with surf?

sorry Mr Stallman.
I wrote a paper about you in 5th grade.
I see others have not moved on.

>greasemonkey scripts
Didn't that shit die off years ago?
Honestly would like to know

userscripts definitely died, though, right?

I love it when people like you think their jokes are new or original.

>blah, blah, arch problem, blah, blah
>"Dude, Arch is for advanced users"
>"No it's not, there's a noob corner and it only takes thirty minutes to install
>what os should I install
>"DUDE INSTALL ARCH
>is debian good
>"FUCK DEBIAN MAN THAT HAS UNITY"
>"INSTALL ARCH"
>"BY THE WAY DID I MENTION THAT ARCH IS THE BEST DISTRO?"
>totally not the same guy samefagging and anti-shilling Debian

What a great thread you got there.

I love it when people waste posts on meaningless Sup Forums-style retorts.
How about that Arch Linux, though? Good, right?

I only use css modifications, and they work fine (and the save location is nice). But it crashes a lot so maybe I will go back to ff aurora.

I'd say about half of those are me. The rest are some other genius. Nice attempt, though. How's unity working for you? Post top/htop output? Whatever you prefer.

Dude unity doesn't even work on anything other than buntu, all attempts to make it work on other distros stopped years ago. Stop your bullshit and let this thread in peace.

Hey guise, looking real friendly in here.
Anyone got advice for moving from Debian to Arch? I think they're winning this one but I'm too afraid of the install process to try it.

To war.

where's that top output debro
don't worry, I'm on your side.

There's nothing to win.

Installing arch is easy, the beginner guide is okay.
Be aware though, the community is shit and they don't even have separate repos for free/nonfree.

That's not advice. Really, please help. I've been stuck on this whole partitioning thing. I didn't have to do anything to get my debian system up, so I'm just feeling really confused.
This is supposed to be a friendly thread guise...

Yeah, that's true. That's part of why I've stuck with debian. They really make it so that I don't have to do anything but copy paste from the first google search. Why isn't arch like that?

Anyone experiences with ring?
ring.cx/en#screenshots

I mean what kind of idiots would use an OS that they have to learn how to use? Total plebs if you ask me

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nonfree_applications_package_guidelines#Avoid_nonfree_software_when_possible
Keep it simple, stupid.

Debian or Ubuntu?

What's the simplest load balancer/reverse proxy I can set up on my Linux web server? I don't actually have a significant load, but I want to have web apps from multiple servers (Node.js and Glassfish) available through the same domain on port 80.

Basically I want a user going to mydomain.com/App1 to get sent to a page hosted on Glassfish and a user going to mydomain.com/App2 to get sent to a Node.js-hosted app.

Or is there a better way to do this?

Ubuntu is derived from Debian. Their differences are marked, but typically people see Debian as a stable, effortless-to-maintain distro, and Ubuntu as a completely user-friendly, even more stable, even more bloated distro.
Does that help?

eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks

Chakra

Comes back to the community part I think.
It's still a bit slow and you needed a phone number last time I tried, but I am monitoring it as a potential telegram alternative. Vector is there as well but even buggier.

AWS load-balancers are very friendly for Debian users. All you have to do is click, click clickity click.

>Unless you have opted out, we will also send your keystrokes as a search term to productsearch.ubuntu.com and selected third parties so that we may complement your search results with online search results from such third parties including: Facebook, Twitter, BBC and Amazon. Canonical and these selected third parties will collect your search terms and use them to provide you with search results while using Ubuntu.

It's worse than I thought. I know it's disabled now, but the fact that things like this are installed on a GNU/Linux distro by default...

Why OpenSuse is not popular?

Right! Community! That's what I love about Debian. I don't even have to think! Ha! Now can you help me get rid of my dependencies? I don't like them because they make me stop installing runescape, and I'm pretty sure arch doesn't even have a runescape client because I googled it once: fucking cummunity more like over their! hahahahaha

People don't like the logo.

Isn't that only for their EC2? I have my own server at home.

Yeah you should really switch to debian. EC2 is great for Ubuntu. They have free tier services if you use an ubuntu AMI so I can be homeless and keep sucking dick and using debian all i want! Join me, won't you?

Lol

What lol

Is this a new meme.

I'm trying out HAProxy at the moment.

I thought it was pretty funny too. Man it's late here. I better stop derailing these threads.

bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/command-not-found/ bug/1055766

Are you okay? Should I call the guys with the white jackets?
Lack of marketing I guess. I think I heard about some people in germany using it.

this meme is catching on.
Good work anons.
I am out of breath with laughter.

Sauce?

stallman.org/

rms.sexy/

What a relaxed life he leads.

Tabasco.

>open htop
>see program called whoopsie running
>shit bricks

g-guys, am i haxed??

Are there any /fglt/ approved laptops?

Preferably something cheap that doesn't have a completely wretched display.

saved

oh wait, yeah i was hacked by the company called canonical.

whoops

minifree.org/

Check your home directory for a file called ~/.bash_history, if it's there, you're infected by a keylogger.

>50 dollar stickers
Freedom though

>*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Cheap thinkpad to ssh -x into your real computer or a dell xps 13 dev

Not them but sending them resources for making stallmemes seems like a friendly thing to do.

>dell xps 13 dev
really want that one, too bad i'm out of funds.

shit! it's a big file too! looks like it is referenced in this .bashrc file too, better get rid of that one too

getting real tired of this canned response.

who is going to make /fglt/ great again, so it isn't such a hugbox

Install 4chanX.

Anyone running linux on a Macbook Air atm? if so, what distro?

sudo service whoopsie stop
Just in case.

So, need some help with KVM.
I recently stumbled upon some Pokemon Go Bots and really wanted to try to see how they worked and etc. Since they only work on Windows (console) I decided to create a Windows VM using KVM and everything works fine.
Now I wanted to use Nox App Player, but every time I open it it says my Graphic Card is out dated. I noticed the KVM is using a generic graphic card so my question is: How do I use my Host GPU on my Guest?

search the web "gpu passthrough"
good luck

Do you think that if I used VirtualBox it would be easier to do this?

what is the best distro for a i5 8gb ram laptop?

Usually not.
Literally any
>best
The one I am using

Nope, I'm not even sure virtualbox supports it.

i'm using ubuntu gnome and i'm not entirely happy with it, having performance issues

Disable animations in gnome. Should be fine. Otherwise install some more minimal DE or WM. You could switch distros but performance is not a reason for doing that.

Time to kill myself then.

Try doing it in winecli/wine

Well, I guess I could give Wine a try, thanks user.

wineconsole

No, you're simply editing your photo.

Or manipulating an image.

Fedora has some great fucking wallpapers, had to have a few on my non-Fedora machines.

They should be available with a libre licence, just copy them to your other machines.

oh yeah, didn't even check license, copied them already.

or gimping an image