Share your internship experience

>tfw can't get any position at any level whatsoever and all i want to do is wageslave

made about 9k/month, lived in seattle all summer (which was really awesome), got a surface 3, did some cool research.

the intern mailing list was such a shitshow that i had to unsubscribe from it. it was basically a constant stream of absolute idiots either complaining about something stupid or being obnoxious (e.g. inviting the whole mailing list to an event, causing it to show up in exchange/calendar, etc...)

i don't understand how someone - even someone who spends a lot of time on Sup Forums - can be this naive about how internships in the tech industry operate. a lot of internships are salaried, and to the extent that the others are wage work, you're still going to make 4-5k per month, and more likely (much) more than that.

that's "wageslave" in only the flimsiest imaginable sense.

3 consecutive years in Switzerland (2 months every summer), 2400 Franks/month, not too hard work.

i didn't mean it like that, i meant i am here waiting to listen to internship stories because i have never had a job and can't get one

ahh okay. sorry. there are some people who post what you posted and mean it as a dig on CS students that do internships (evidently thinking that these are really bad gigs for the students, sometimes seemingly thinking that the internships are even unpaid, as if they were interning at a newspaper or something)

currently in seattle area, 20k amonth and very rewarding experience. I might even land a full time job once I'm done with my masters next year

it was OK

god damn, 20k/month? where are you? MSR paid a little over 9k/month (excluding some freebies) and that's considered all right for grad student internships

He is bluffing. Not even top engineers get paid that much in Silicon Valley.

Interned at IBM about 5 years ago. It was pretty good for an undergrad internship--got $24/hr to work out bugs in shitty maven configs. The work was OK, though, because I had fun coworkers. The biggest thing that I ended up learning was that I never want to be a career programmer at IBM, but I would definitely recommend the internship to college students who would otherwise just be wasting their summers.

How do you even get started?

I'm stuck in a town of 200,000 and aside from completing most of my 1st year courses in a CS degree and being a computer nerd I don't even know where to begin looking for work.

I'd probably do a terrible job of hooking up a computer network for a company given lack of experience, but I could still fucking do it.

i mean it's not entirely impossible, since interns don't get benefits that FTEs get (for example, health care), so the company might figure they can offer more cash up front. but it would be irresponsible of them to drive salaries that high unless the intern was doing highly specialized work, in which case a company shouldn't be hiring interns to do the job anyway, but ?????

honestly, the thing in his story that's dubious is that someone who browses Sup Forums has a high-paying internship - not that such internships exist in the world.

My boss just teaches me web development all day while I get paid.

making $18/h
it's alright since I can show up whenever and leave whenever

you don't make good money doing maintenance, and certainly not in internships.

the tech internships that pay well are straight up CS internships where you ship code.

as for how to get them, aside from studying CS, you should go to career fairs on campus, talk to representatives, and network.

there's this hilarious lie that autistic kids in college tell themselves, that the world is entirely meritocratic, seemingly to the point that a hermit who's good will magically find letters arriving every day offering high-paying jobs.

The place you live is totally irrelevant. Like any normal job, most internships will cover your travel and pay more than enough to cover a cheap apartment nearby.

Just write the best resume you can, and apply for as many internships as you can, at every company you can think of. It doesn't matter if you think you're underqualified, applying doesn't cost anything. I had fun just taking advantage of the paid travel to the interviews for internships.

most companies do remote interviews first. if he's only qualified to set up a computer network, he's probably not going to get past that first round.

I was planning on focusing in networking and network security - seemed like it'd have more job security than software dev.

That's true, but it's still no reason not to apply. You could only know some shitty first-year java or python and still be able to find an internship at big cube farm companies where you're interviewed by managers rather than real programmers. (Of course, in this case you wouldn't make it past a technical on-site interview, but hey, it's free travel and interview experience.)

I work IT internship during the summers between semesters. I've been doing it since 2014 and actually supervise other interns and manage three plants unsupervised. Most days are slow so I stream anime or read books. Only ever talk to supervisor when I need more info on a specific problem. Currently make more than any of my friends.

Feels good man

Maybe you'd have more job security, once you can actually get a job. Programming jobs, however are much more plentiful than the sysadmin stuff (networking and network security). Remember that a large company only needs 1 or 2 sysadmins to support 40 or 50 programmers.

This job's a steal

this. people in silicon valley bounce from job to job so much because the demand for workers is enormous. if you're competent enough to get hired in the bay area, you're basically rotating around as each company outbids one another with compensation and benefits to poach you.

it's not a total arms race, but there's a reason google has people do your laundry for you.

I juat got off an internship with a major tech company. Boss was a bitch but rest of the team was pretty cool.

I actually just had a phone interview for a junior developer position at a multi million dollar company. They said I'd be a good fit.

Sorry for fucking up the thread trend of "no job, no hope"

can't say any names but the firm got tons of vc money recently and my dad knows the ceo/founder and they liked my profile

it's sad that you fucked up the trend of people reading the posts in the thread. we've been talking about internships - there are only one or two losers in here bitching about not having jobs come to them.

>get in huge company
>get minimum wage pay as intern for 10 months, get workload of a regular employee
>finish internship, graduate BSCS at the same time
>company hires me right away
>same workload
>more benefits
>money money money money
That's about it.

honestly why would you post at all if you refuse to give any credible details or corroborating evidence?

i guess "cool story bro"

Depending on location, that's not bad for IT, to be honest. If it's not in an expensive urban area, that would be enough money for a pretty comfortable life.

I have nothing to prove so yeah I guess you can say that ;^)

I am an American university student studying Informatics with a focus in cyber security.
After my freshman year I took an internship in Luxembourg working for a small traditional Chinese medicine company.
The work I did ranged from inputting data into a database to driving a Mercedes Vito to the post office with deliveries.

Pretty easy job, the hours were a pain and I made about $1500 a month.

>you're still going to make 4-5k per month
Fucking first worlders

Wow, that pay is shit. You could have made a huge amount more money working in America.

My high school had a thing where we could do internships for the last month of our senior year, instead of going to class.

I ended up working for an IT company and they basically just gave me a project to make a calendar webapp type thing for use in house. They used all windows servers, and it needed to access Outlook calendars so they wanted me to use aspx, so I learned the very basics of that, plus C sharp based on my previous knowledge of Java.

Basically I made an entire calendar web page just by composing all the html into one long string and then inserting it into a single label. It worked pretty well, but that was probably the worst way to do it, and I assume it would be pretty hard to maintain.

It was an unpaid internship though, so I don't feel that bad.

>unpaid internship

Eh, I got out of classes for the month, so it worked for me.

Try to find that shit in Europe, mate, I'm sure you're gonna succeed.

I did it to say I worked in Europe fampai.

I'm building servers for $15/hr. It's alright, but I would rather be coding.