I haven't run software update in years. Should I? Will there be any benefit...

I haven't run software update in years. Should I? Will there be any benefit? Will my system run slower due to a newer OS being ran on older hardware?

Other urls found in this thread:

apple.stackexchange.com/questions/106497/font-smoothing-is-wrong-after-mavericks-update-on-macbook-pro-with-high-res-disp
iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/15/04/09/update-your-mac-apple-fixes-major-flaw-in-os-x-yosemite-but-wont-patch-lion-mountain-lion-or-mavericks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm still running 10.7 and its perfect. No need to upgrade if everything is running right.

Do it. El cap is way better than yosemite. You have 8gb ram, it will run well. Also install 11.5, not the new beta.

I bought an old for 2 duo iMac for my fiance and it runs the latest updates with no problems. Go for it.

Dude.

How does it run?

This killed my 2011 Macbook Pro. IDK why it was really shitty though.
To be fair to Apple I used my old one for shit I shouldn't have like playing games for hours on end and literally boiling the components for 5 years.

10.11.6 is the latest version for el cap.
At the very least update to 10.10.5 with the latest 2016 security patch.
How have you been enjoying your lack of security updates since October 2014? Apple only provides security support for the current OS and the previous two . Which means that only Mavericks, Yosemite and El Cap get support. Mavericks will get dropped when Sierra comes out. Lion stopped getting support when Yosemite was released. Btw ditch lion it's the worst OS X since snow leopard. Many applications are changing their new minimums to at least the last version of mountain lion in their push to move on from Snow leopard.

El cap is pretty good if you fresh install it and commendable with an upgrade. Better than Yosemite and Mavericks were at release and end. Sierra is okay and nothing really changes if you don't use Siri or have a device that use Apple Pay (watch, iPhone 6 or newer). The system wide application tabs, PiP and smart detection to delete old unused are pretty good though. Dropping of older processors and macs is good because it removes unneeded legacy code and makes the OS leaner.

plebs

Give one reason Dmitry why you use Mavericks.

And it can't be that it's not flat.

I am an apple technician

font rendering on non-retina
hipster value

You do know they introduced a retina-optimized Lucida grande for Mavericks? Unless you reverted it to what it looked like in mountain lion of course.

apple.stackexchange.com/questions/106497/font-smoothing-is-wrong-after-mavericks-update-on-macbook-pro-with-high-res-disp

It may have been because of the time since Mavericks or Yosemite were released but I honestly can't remember well enough to tell the difference in how the fonts appear except for when they were changed entirely. This does make me curious enough to look on how to change it to read "better" for el cap on non-retina.

PUBLIC NOTICE
Hardware does not degrade slowly. Drives do, but nothing else.
Every time you say "my laptop runs shitty now" the overwhelming answer is your own incompetence with the handling of software. Either because of bloat, or because you installed an OS that is too much for your hardware.

The last OS that Apple let's you install is always too much for your hardware.

True for the past and now. But for the current OSes of iOS 9 and El Cap they at least wanted to put out versions that fundamentally provided some improvement to security: rootless for iOS and SIP for OSX. Also while trying to refine what the prior versions brought.

iOS 4 on on the 3G and iOS 7 on the 4 were some the worst upgrade decisions Apple has made recently though. I have an iPad mini, iPad 2 and a 4S that run iOS 9. All are okay if you do a DFU restore, setup a new profile and turn off cosmetic options and battery draining settings (which I do on my newer devices anyways).

buy a real mac, poorfag

This is the gayest thing I've head on Sup Forums.

You can disable font smoothing, but that still doesn't quite do the trick on El Cap.

There's a hack to fully revert the font back to Lucida, but it's a little buggy.

San Francisco is alright, I keeps the reading experience the same between my iPhone and Mac. If I ever do wanna change fonts for both though, thankfully my phone is jailbroken to keep them the same.

I just updated snow leopard to el captain.. I don't regret it at all and everything works same/better

This.

I don't think you'll notice a drop in performance in El Cap with your specs. Just keep in mind that despite what the shills say, El Cap is not perfect. It's far more power hungry than previous releases, and it tends to use more RAM too.

>muh security updates
When did this meme started? With an up-to-date browser and some common sense it's almost impossible to get into any trouble.

I have that same model. It's lightning fast after I installed a SSD. Runing latest version of El Capitan. Zero issues thus far.

Used mavericks for a while. Made my 2011 mbp slow as shit. Yosemite still runs smooth as butter.

Is it true that Yosemite and El Capitan run like shit, or at least run worse than Mavericks and older on regular HDDs? Or is that just a meme?

Then why do software developers and OS creators even bother to create security updates? Because it's foolish to rely upon another company to provide security for your product and to idiotic to expect that customers will always have the latest version of common sense running 100% of the time. Why willingly handicap yourself? Running outdated software is only valid for retro-computing.

Why would it? There are no new hardware demands since ML and all run the same filesystem. I'd imagine Sierra and the 2017 macOS will run slowly on the new minimums because change of standard and APFS having better performance for ssd

It's true, but it started with Lion.

Name one security hole in Lion that is patched by later OS.

iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/15/04/09/update-your-mac-apple-fixes-major-flaw-in-os-x-yosemite-but-wont-patch-lion-mountain-lion-or-mavericks

No it didn't take me long to find it. I forgot I was even in this thread.

>I forgot I was even in this thread.
So did we...
Who are you again?

Spider-Man.

I have a Late 2011 MBP and 10.11 works fantastically. I had an SSD in it for a while and it was orgasmic. Have a 7200rpm HDD in there now and it boots up faster than my W10 desktop (also with a 7200rpm HDD).

>Spider-Man
Well, it's a pleasure to meet you.
Have a nice day.