Why haven't you switched to ssd yet Sup Forums?

why haven't you switched to ssd yet Sup Forums?
what's your excuse this time?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Mushkin-Enhanced-ECO3-2-5-240GB-SATA-III-TLC-Internal-Solid-State-Drive-SSD-M/381555292005?customid=20c69ac459c811e69430ce32f54590740INT&pub=5574652453&campid=5337259887&afepn=5337259887&icep_id=117&ipn=icep&hash=item58d677b765&_trkparms=5373:0|5374:Featured&afepn=5337259887&rmvSB=true
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I was going to but the 120 GB SSD I was going to buy raised it's price just today and it pissed me off.

I don't think it's worth buying a 60$ 120gb ssd just to get 5 seconds faster boot times. And yes, my files are opening very fast with my 7200rpm HDD, even photoshop which only takes 10 seconds to start.

Money

It's a meme.

Wow. I'm this user hereAnd you just talked me out of buying an SSD and saving me $40 buckaroos. I was getting pretty hyped there to buy an ssd for windows 10 anniversary but I your right, my harddrive is pretty fast and a few seconds faster isn't worth getting an SSD . thanks user.

Got a chink ssd for my laptop, fast and cheap, literally no excuses

But it makes your games load faster!

Is it a good idea to have a small ssd for os and another small one for 2-3 games instead of one for both os and games?

why haven't you switched to magnetic tapes yet Sup Forums?
what's your excuse this time?

SSDs are fucking quiet tho,

You should consider using an ssd when you are working with big files, like 4k pictures in photoshop. Or when you want to have less loading times on your games. Also, when downloading big shit, your network speed won't be limited by the write speed of your ssd if you have over 100mb/s speed, since a 7200rpm can have between 90MB/s - 120MB/s. You should consider buying an ssd if want a cheap upgrade for your pc, a 40$ ssd will surely be good for you and always welcome, I'm just saving up some dollas for an i5. If you like your OS to be 3x or maybe 5x faster then do it if it won't affect your money at all.

no real difference, buy a proper bigger ssd for the price of two small ones

Is an SSD worth it? I was thinking of getting a 120GB boot drive as well.

HDD hasn't really given me any problems, and boots fairly fast I guess.

Probably not worth it. It can add some more heat to my PC, and I don't want that either.

Thanks for the tips user. Guess I really don't need one after all.

SSDs create minimal heat.

Also I turn off my HDD when I`m not going to use it,

10 seconds feels like a lifetime after experiencing SSDs.

Your os run from RAM when you execute your games , and also both will run from ram anyway one executed anyway so it foesnt matter.
I use just one for installed software( os, programs and games) and hdd for data storage.
I would see the point of installing games on the hdd just to save space on the ssd, but using separate ssd drives for just more "software" wen the firts one isnt going to be working at the same time seems a bit overkill

I recently bought a SSD. Been using hard drives since forever.

The difference in speed is astounding. But you should get at least 250 GB.

I wouldn't recommend getting a 120 GB SSD unless it was really cheap. Last Black Friday, you could get one for $5. I'd wait for Black Friday again before buying one.

Already did in my latest build.

Old build I had an actually credible excuse...it was only sata II mobo

Is it safe to use CCleaner on ssd

IMC (in my case):

240GB 840 EVO
2x 120GB 840 EVO
2x 500GB 850 EVO

You would need 240gb or bigger SSD if you intend to use it as your main drive (os and software)

Why are you even here if none of that applies to you?

>this pc
>60hz monitor

m8. why

I don't game.

it's more than just boot times user

Because OP asked

>some piece of shit software decides to update in the background on a HDD
>everything grinds to a halt

I know but my files are opening very fast so I don't really need an SSD.

I need all my drives

How astounding? My cousin has one and I used his computer and couldn't really notice anything.

$5? Where?

it's your choice, but trust me when I say the different between a 7200 RPM HDD and an SDD is still very significant and noticeable.

I have 2 samsung 1tb ssds for photoshop and other apps. Speed boost is huge and I am less paranoid about hard drive failure now. Hopefully the price for 2tb gets cut in half over the next few years so can consign mechanical drives to archive.

Yes

Well after I get that i5 then I'll buy an SSD since I never used one and I'm curious. I can't wait to ascend.

SSDs arent as endurable as HDDs

Bullshits

You don't really notice shit.

jet.com

I the SSD was $40, but there was a coupon for $35 off.

>You don't really notice shit.
If you don't notice a different going from a regular drive to an SSD then something else in your system is total pleb

what in gods cock are you doing with it then

>inb4 so much money i just don't give a fuck
in which case, well played.

is this one good? It's on sale
ebay.com/itm/Mushkin-Enhanced-ECO3-2-5-240GB-SATA-III-TLC-Internal-Solid-State-Drive-SSD-M/381555292005?customid=20c69ac459c811e69430ce32f54590740INT&pub=5574652453&campid=5337259887&afepn=5337259887&icep_id=117&ipn=icep&hash=item58d677b765&_trkparms=5373:0|5374:Featured&afepn=5337259887&rmvSB=true

I tried it on someone elses computer. For normal usage you can't really tell shit.

Damn, what drive was it?

True, they last far longer and fail less often.

Mushkin isn't a bad brand, they make good budget SSDs. I think you should go for a SanDisk though.

The number of writes are very limited compared to HDDs.
But well for "consumer" use, e.g. storing your OS or chinese cartoons you wint reach that in just a few years.

SSDs don't have spinup time like hard drives

Video Production

Higher end ones are rated in the tens of millions, even if you were performing 60 writes per second it would be nearly two days before you ran out.

so you're telling me, i can spend money on a ssd with less gb than my hdd, and it's around 5 seconds faster? Sounds stupid to me.

Holding out for memory cells that don't degrade.

What's the fastest sata SSD on the market? I also was looking into a pcie ssd but would you really notice a difference in speed?

If you don't find those momentary hangs on a mechanical drive annoying as fuck then ok

If you don't game then ok

If you don't transfer files of any meaningful size around then ok

if your internet speed is 100Mb/s, your hdd will alwayq be faster than that.
100MB=800Mb, so unless you have gigabit fiber at home your HDD will never limit your download speed

I notice everything much much faster everything moves fast as fuck. Why do we have sata cables if ata cables were fine as well? Why do we have USB. 3.0 if we had 1.0? Shits only a few seconds faster

>100MB=800Mb

what the fuck am I reading

The boot times arent the magic "how the fuck did I live without this" moments user, its the time just after logging in where everything takes 5 minutes to launch. SSDs cure that completely

7200RPM hdds transfer most files at a speed more like 50Mb/sec

Yea

Never happens to me mane, only on startup and after 20 seconds it's good.
I do both of those as well.

I never turn off my computer so I don't care about boot time that much, even then my HDD still boots up fast enough.

MB=megabyte
Mb= megabit
How do you not know this?

Kek here is you're (you) senpai

Kingston SSDNow V300

It's a low end SSD, but still a huge improvement over a HDD; and it was only $5 with free shipping.

Which is still 400Mbit/s.
I'm all for SSDs but saying you need one to download stuff is just retarded, especially since you'll have to transfer stuff to your hdd after so even if you have gigabit fiber it won't change anything (exept maybe make it longer since you'll need to download and then copy to your HDD at whateverMb/s instead of just downloading at whateverMb/s)

I would have bought a bunch of them. Kingston is shit though, they shouldn't be trusted.

user.... that ssd has many problems with it, you should look it up. Tons of shit happened and Kingston tried to deny responsibility

Aren't those the ones that are slower than HDDs in some specific cases like sequential write?

cute girl

I paid $5 for it. I can't complain about anything.

you will once you find out about the failures

Only a few more months till Black Friday. I'm sure it'll hold up till then.

Im poorfag op..

>boot times

Get out you filthy casual. Its not about boot times you dumb fuck.

>implying

>very limited

Hello 2006. An SSD is objectivly better than a hard drive in every way. Spinning disks are fucking retarded in 2016.

I already have. I'm about to fall even deeper into the meme and get one of those m.2 ones

>ssd gets fucked
>absolutely no way to recover the data fug :--DD
>hdd gets fucked
>can recover atleast 20% of the data if it's mechanical failure

My penis still doesn't produce money by being rubbed.

Most SSD failures are related to WRITING data, so it should be fucking easy to recover.

Besides, backups.

I'm a poorfag and an ssd on a $350 tower is dumb.

There is rarely a scenario when a SSD would be dumb, for just $60 you would improve the day to day performance of your ghetto tower massively.

meme drive

>what's your excuse this time?
I'm sorry OP, I'm just too poor.

>SSD fails
>becomes ROM
>HDD fails
>Tech voodoo required to try and resurrect some information in a very expensive way.

Yeah, nah. Flash chip > a fucking spinning magnetic disk read by a plater.

>3x the price
>1/2 the storage
no thanks

would you pay 99 dollars for a TLC 240GB, knowing it costs 65 dollars?

fucking third world shithole.

B-But user, I already have 3 Samsung 850 EVO 500GB in RAID 0. I'm w-waiting for larger M.2 NVMe SSDs

Also at least 4x the speed.

10TB barracuda fags

faggots also said this about HD. I don't feel it. Not everyone is the same.

It's like going from dial-up to cable. It's a life changing experience. You'll never want to go back.

I used SSD and went back and it didn't bother me

>mfw people still run their operating systems on a hard drive in 20 fucking 16

Unreal, you kids are literally wasting your life. While you're waiting for that application to load mine has already loaded and I've saved 5 seconds of my life that you've wasted. Multiply this over the course of days and years since they were affordable (2012) and you've wasted at least a few days of your life.

Get fucking good kids.

what about m2 ssd's ?

Way too expensive GB/$ ratio. Not worth it.

Do these things still break if there is a sudden power loss or has that been resolved by now? Because I'd only ever use one in a laptop otherwise.