Microsoft requiring you get Windows 10 to use newer CPUs and DX12

>Microsoft requiring you get Windows 10 to use newer CPUs and DX12
>Release games on Win10 only
>Linux desktops are still a fucking joke
>Mac is overpriced
Should I just kill myself?

Other urls found in this thread:

a.4cdn.org/boards.json
pcworld.com/article/3037396/windows/windows-10-lock-screen-ads-begin-with-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-push.html
linux.slashdot.org/story/16/08/03/1614223/windows-10-anniversary-update-borks-dual-boot-partitions
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Integrated_Systems
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Use Win 10 only for games.
Use Gentoo for everything else.
There you go, I fixed all your problems for you.

Google OS soon
[spoiler]the spying will be even worse[/spoiler]

The requirement of a newer os is intels fault, not microsofts. You can't just change the whole core w7 just to make it compatible with a skylake cpu.

I use a mac but ubuntu's actually alright.
I'm not just saying that either, it's pretty retard proof.

No bias, i use osx.

>thinks Linux is still a fucking joke
yes, you should.

>You can't just change the whole core w7 just to make it compatible with a skylake cpu.
?

As if Chrome OS wasn't bad enough.

I don't know who you are Gentoo guys, but I love you.

>>Linux desktops are still a fucking joke

List for us the top 5 applications you run on Windows. Chances are there are versions for Linux, or equivalents.

(Not gonna lie, Office Libre's Powerpoint replacement BLOWS, but, freedoms.)

By the way, I won the WinX threatware battle finally by doing a clean install and installing the roll-up updates. But I shouldn't have to go to that much trouble just to keep my PC configured the way I like it. Fuck you, M$.

Why do you guys hate win 10 so much. It's the best windows yet coming close to win7.
I upd to win10 and only had advantages to this day.

its the spying meme
nobody wants ms looking at "that" folder

Yes. As soon as possible.

>2016 and not using third-party encrypted folder

>X11

the problem aren't the applications, the problem is the graphics stack and the desktop environments. I use Linux daily and I think it's a shit experience. You really notice that unlike the kernel, very few people are being paid to work on userspace Linux, and it really shows.
Hell, Intel GPU drivers are considered to be the least painful but they're still broken garbage in many cases, and the mesa GL implementation is hopelessly slow compared to proprietary drivers.

H E L L O
S U M M E R

>it's a "Sup Forums pretends you can't install win7 on skylake systems" thread

Getting it now actually.

I've been here for years

Do they not work on Sup Forums?

advertisements on lock screen, privacy violations, tight integrations with other microsoft services in an attempt to get you to use them, UI design that still blows, MS already stated cutting features from it to sell them separately, universal platform memes, nagware popups for other Microsoft products

Why can't I just get a Windows 7 with updated core components but without all the "user experience" bullshit?

>Microsoft requiring you get Windows 10 to use newer CPUs and DX12
>Release games on Win10 only
You mean, like what happened with DX9 and Vista?
Or was it DX10?
Can't remember, but I'm 100% sure there was a DX version only compatible with Vista and upwards, and games no longer being released for XP

a.4cdn.org/boards.json
only works on boards where "spoilers" is "1".

It was DX10, but DX10 was mostly a joke anyway, and Win7 rescued us from Win Vista.

There won't be a potentially better Windows after Win 10. This is the last Windows.

Hey it's free. Free things always come with a cost.
Nah dun worry as soon as pirated version comes up all those shits will be gone.

But with built-in Chinese or Russian pirate botnets.

No matter what, someone will be spying on you in Windows 10.

kek.

They really aren't though unless you're into gaming. Even then there are plenty of games becoming Linux compatible on Steam lately.

I've never had an ad on my lock screen, is this a meme?

Use trusted sources dude. And be positive. Nobody will care unless you have real messed up shit.

pcworld.com/article/3037396/windows/windows-10-lock-screen-ads-begin-with-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-push.html

It's the promotion section in the start menu he is talkin bout

just keep using 7 for the time being
switch to linux
hope that vulcan is alright
if vulcan fails, kill yourself :)

Oh so it's the shit that anyone sane turns off within minutes of installing. k

>people on Sup Forums actually believe that if they switch to Linux, they won't be spied on anymore
>continues to use Gmail, Facebook, YouTube, Sup Forums, etc.

Man it's time for me to give up on this board. Putting anime shit as your wallpapers gives Linux even a worse name, yet alone using it as a general OS without hosting a server or programming.

>unless you're into gaming
or image editing
or graphic design
or music production

>not using Wayland yet

yea but at this point in time you can have linux box for your life stuff and win box for gaming only

whatever leaves the house is known to be seen by others
whatever stays inside has to be fucking mine and under my control.

there's the difference you didn't see.

>Complete list of applications compatible with Wayland:
>

If you want to play games, why do you even consider Macs?

Don't use a Mac/OSX unless you need to make iOS apps.

Just do:

>b-but muh photoshop...
Sure, keep paying money to the company that gave us the security nightmares that are Flash and Acrobat, just because you can't be bothered to learn a different interface.

thanks for the upvote user

if you think GIMP differs to Photoshop just in terms of interface, you're a delusional freetard.

Well you see. When a processor is made they have to do extensive testing with every operating system that exists. Well they used to but this time Intel said fuck it and only support Windows 10. Most BIOSes won't run on it either. It is just such an advanced processor, the medieval OSs won't run on it. Like trying to get your Toyota to run on 95 octane gas, it simply won't work.

Bruh that's not even it. There's a version of GIMP that mimics the Photoshop interface, GIMPshop I think. It's still way shittier than Photoshop if you're doing anything more intricate than making memes or lazily 'shooping' shit on /r/.

If you think it doesn't, you're a delusional wintard and/or macfag

As someone running Windows 7 on a Skylake laptop that had the option to have Windows 7 installed on it by the manufacturer I can assure you it works swimmingly.

So you're claiming the only reason why Krita is so much more critically acclaimed than GIMP is because of the interface?
Have you ever done any digital art in your entire life?

Linux has had nicer desktop than windows ever since I've been using linux. My jaw hit the table when I saw how beautiful KDE3 was compared to 98se. Windows 10 has got to be the ugliest windows version since then. Windows 7 was a poor imitation of kde4.

Had Windows Vista on PC. Got Windows 7 because Vista was a virus. Upgrade to Windows 10. Windows 10 says fuck you and goes slow even though Nvidia GPU and AMD processor. Want to remove new Windows 10 virus. Windows 7 corrupted and don't have CD key anymore for that OS. My question is if Vista is still good OS and if I should revert back to Vista if they fixed how crap it was or if I should pirate Windows 7 or some shit because Windows 10 is cancer on that PC

I don't know but you want 7 over vista.

7 is still better than Vista? I read somewhere they improved Vista to the point where it was comparable to performance to 7 some time ago. I know "Windows 7 best M$ OS" but I thought vista wasn't a complete degenerate anymore

I dont buy Steam exclusive games for a long time now and I am doing just fine.

Plenty of games out there, not like windows 10 is the center of the earth.

If anything this is just one more reason for people to go back to 7 and install modified drivers that will surely be found via torrent in short order.

not him but you should check out Krita

I already am using Krita and really love it.

Ever heard of DUAL BOOT?

You mean that thing that the W10 anniversary update breaks, possibly deliberately?

Wasn't that the malware classic shell that deleted the MBR?

Nope, this is Windows itself.

linux.slashdot.org/story/16/08/03/1614223/windows-10-anniversary-update-borks-dual-boot-partitions

> not using a comfy environment like Gnome on your desktop
Switch from Win10 to Ubuntu with Gnome a few days ago and its awsome

I just got a new laptop with Win10, is it worth the hassle to convert it to Win7?
I managed to avoid the telemetry update for Win7 on my old laptop, do I have to worry about that for this new one?
I just want to use this laptop for internet browsing and maybe play rom emulators now and then.

Either use an older version of windows or buy a mac. Clearly you're too stupid to figure out Linux.

>I managed to avoid the telemetry update for Win7 on my old laptop, do I have to worry about that for this new one?
that telemetry and a whole lot more is baked into W10, with no way to turn it off. (you can't even put MS domains in the hosts file to block access to them, the OS ignores that)

If all your doing is messing with emulators and browsing then pick out the Linux of your choice and have done with it.

OpenGL > DX

I don't know about that case, but after all the hell I have dealt with given the new boot technology. My next move it to just buy a new computer with multiple hard drives. Given the time spent, a new TB SSD would be cost less at this point.

If that doesn't work then I just get a new cheap computer to allow Windows to support the new features, but not enough to do much else.

I've never installed Linux before.

I've been running w7 on my skylake since the day after it came out you stupid fuck

a little of topic, but cars have sensors in their engines wich detect the octane rating of gas to prevent knocking, simply by lowering the compression, so this isn't a good comparison

Or you could just install OS X on your existing hardware and be done with it.
Mainstream support, 99% of productivity software compatible, godtier looks...
all without taking apples dick up your ass and buying their shit hw

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB Version. No bloat, just the os and basic stuff like in windows 7

unless your current setup isn't compatible because of Apple's proprietary BS and you can't play any games

>Windows 10 says fuck you and goes slow even though Nvidia GPU and AMD processor.
I think it's time to upgrade your Athlon XP and GeForce 2. I hate idiots like you. "This WiNBloW$$$ is bad because it doesn't work on my 15 years old hardware."

this

>>Linux desktops are still a fucking joke
I doubt you've tried Ubuntu 16.04 you fucking twat
If you had you wouldn't be saying that

If it's a new model, it won't have drivers for W7. And it won't have Linux drivers for another 3 years.

Let's look at things positively.
>Ubuntu's Unity is ditching GTK in favor of Qt
>LXDE is doing the same
>KDE as well as others are putting effort in wayland ports (except xfce, fuck you xfce)
>Qt itself is doing a lot on the wayland end of things
>wayland is slowly getting somewhere for a change
>resisting systemd is still a thing

Looking forward to total Qt/Wayland domination at some point in the future.

Fortunately, Linux runs fine on old hardware. I don't know what Windows' problem is that its so inefficient, but whatever.

the difference is I can keep those websites in a cuckshed, instead of surveillance running rampant across the entire OS

>computing/car analogies
anyone who thinks these ever make sense should be shot

yeah it's shit
windows VM w/pci passthrough best grill

>I just want to use this laptop for internet browsing and maybe play rom emulators now and then
literally just install ubuntu
linux has better support for emulators anyway

Sure. There are no working drivers on Linux distributions after 2007 for SiS hardware. Generic ones for GPUs give you 640x480 and network card disconnects itself every 15 seconds. Works like intended, right?
And SiS was very popular cheapo choice until 2005.

the fuck is SiS

It's because linux is modular as fuck and windows isn't. Windows 7 has a set minimum recommended hardware spec and there's little you can do about it. Linux you can make as beefy or as minimal as you need.

Have they fixed the bug on skylake machines that refused to boot because of a "open cover"
Or is the HDMI output on igpu still broke?
Can you still not install crimson?

Fuck off with your buntu love, they are just as shitty as any other distribution.

They used to make really godawful-slow video chipsets. Was common for integrated video before it started being put into Intel chipsets and then CPUs.

I put Debian and Xubuntu on some cheap Atom netbook my friend has from like 2008. Only driver I needed was some non-free thing for Broadcom wireless. Firefox was sluggish but other than that everything just werked.

if you just want command-line everything this side of a Pentium Pro is fine.

>Change cursor theme
>It only works if you hover over certain windows
>Use Firefox
>The tabs aren't in the title bar and take up more space
>Want to install a program
>Have to add a new repo for each program and find the package name instead of just downloading an installer
>Want to do literally anything
>People tell you to use terminal commands for everything and will never tell you where to find the GUI versions that are way easier to use
I don't care how many programs or games get linux support, it's still ass to use on a desktop

different user here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Integrated_Systems
It's pretty much deprecated technology that barely made it onto ddr2 compatible motherboards. It's like saying you still want IDE drives in this day and age for no proper reason.
is likely just a fucking lazy cunt poorfag that needs to get a job.

>installing ubuntu
>20XX
you dun fucked up

I've been using arch with i3 for over a year and it's been amazing

I've tried all of the meme distros that the cool internet kids use. Arch, gentoo, mint, debian, they all have problems

What's wrong with ubuntu?

>>>Want to install a program
>>Have to add a new repo for each program and find the package name instead of just downloading an installer
you're doing something wrong. 99% of the time either the program or something that does the same thing is available in your distro's repos. The whole point of the distro having repos is to avoid you going and downloading random software from the internet, actually, that's how a lot of malware spreads.

that plus wanting a GUI for everything sounds to me like you're trying to use Linux the exact same way you use Windows. Don't do that. Spend your effort learning a better way to do things, instead of spending it trying to avoid thinking.

>Windows 10 is bad because it doesn't support my 15 years old hardware!!1!
>Posted example of 15 years old hardware that doesn't work on Linux
>You have to compare it to something newer you poorfag!

it uses apt
on arch all you have to do to get nearly any package is enable multilib and install yaourt

they're all not without faults
steam gets autistic on arch because it tires to use system libraries, which on arch are lightyears ahead due to rolling release

it doesn't work on linux because no one wants to bother supporting it, when the vast majority of users are using modern machines, and only the elite wizards bother fooling with old shit

>>it uses apt
>on arch all you have to do to get nearly any package is enable multilib and install yaourt
yeah and on *buntu/debian all I have to do to get any package with apt is type "apt update && apt install whatever".

>but apt is slow!
big deal, it takes 20 seconds instead of 10 to install your new program.

This
Best to have several computers.
I have windows box just for games and media and dont give two shits about ms telemetry.