Got fed up with Windows in general, i'm jumping to Linux distros once for all. Is Debian a good choice?

Got fed up with Windows in general, i'm jumping to Linux distros once for all. Is Debian a good choice?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/AntiHarassment
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Prepare to be fed up with Linux + Systemd.

>Is Debian a good choice?
NO
the debian stable packages are ancient, which is cool if you're running it on a server and want it to stay mostly unchanged for several years anyways. the unstable packages are not just unstable but also incomplete and broken.

A good entry level distro would be *buntu or Mint if you want something ubuntulike, or fedora if you don't. Ask though, they're friendly towards beginners and will tell you why my suggestion might be shit or not.

polite sage because this doesn't need an own thread.

actually all *buntus are based on debian and mint is based on ubuntu, but the latest mint and ubuntu versions work fine and if you are new to linux then get ubuntu or mint, it's just easy to handle and you don't have to install as many drivers as on raw debian.

I used debian for a while, literally . It was a teaching experience, though. If I started off with ubuntu I wouldn't have learned shit.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Go with arch or Slackware or gentoo, otherwise you won't learn anything.

BSD is also an option.

Xubuntu my man

I would get ubuntu. If you like to rice 24/7, get arch or gentoo.

Is Manjaro a good route?

Debian's pretty good, but you should use the Testing branch to get better hardware support and more updated packages.
Other than debian, I think Ubuntu-MATE is pretty good. It's light and has less bloat.

fuck this
it's a waste of time to type 4 extra charaters

depends what you're comfortable with and what you want to do.

For example, I want full-disk encryption, BTRFS, and to run wayland instead of X. You could theoretically do this on almost any distro, but it was by far easiest for me to set up on arch.

you sound like the 80's UNIX programmers themselves

how is that picture related to your post OP?
doesn't look like technology to me

Use Slackware if you don't want systemdicks

>Got fed up with Windows in general, i'm jumping to Linux distros once for all.

This is future you from next week. Dig out the Windows 7 install disc and save me some time.

Install Manjaro then join the Arch master race in a few months

>windows 8.1 install disc
Fixed

Install gentoo. Seriously.

No, not debian.
wiki.debian.org/AntiHarassment

This.

Linux mint is the choice for linux noob.

why don't we suggest zorin, i thought its only purpose is being "starter" os for normies coming from windows. It kind of looks like windows 7 and bases on ubuntu

Holy shit.

meh

try Fedora or Ubuntu

>inb4 mad nerds

name a valid complaint about systemd
(bonus: dont mention muh bloat)

Is fedora any good?

OP

Just did the same thing about a month ago. Got a few new machines and decided to do the clean install and make the switch over. I switched over everything (X220 daily driver, T530 "desktop" machine, my x86 tablet, my actual desktop which is now a server and my media PC). For my X220 and T530 I went with Xubuntu, for my tablet I went Ubuntu 15.04, and for everything else Ubuntu 16.04.

I like Xubuntu A LOT. It feels minimal and quick. There have been only a few XFCE issues, but nothing that isn't quickly fixed.

Ubuntu on everything else feels a bit bloated. I'm not a fan of Unity, for no reason other than it feels like too much screen space is given to the UI. 15.04 on the tablet is because it's a weird tablet and getting Ubuntu working on it has an entire community around it.

I am pretty happy I made the switch. I use my computer for browsing the internet, programming, watching movies, and very light gaming (Minecraft and some steam games). I'm also a software engineering master's student, and I like how configurable everything is. It was easy to get an IDE that I liked. I'm also glade I went with a *buntu distribution. Every question I have had has already been asked and answered.

If you're worried about games, take a look at the list of linux games that are on Steam. I was shocked at how much of my library was playable and even more shocked at how well my quadro card worked for gaming at 2560x1440. It's not perfect, but if you don't game as a hobby it's definitely passable.

It really depends on how you plan to use your machine.

Debían XFCE with back ports is what I use on dualboot with Windows 7, you may want to try Ubuntu first tho.