It says here on your resume that you have 5 years experience and you're self-taught

>It says here on your resume that you have 5 years experience and you're self-taught.
>Care to explain why you didn't spend that time getting a degree?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_programming
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My experience is worth more than a degree.

because i am poor but at least i can hunt and forage.

I'll suck yo dick please gib me moneys

I got paid getting that experience. I would have had to pay to get a degree. Your learn the same things either way.

Too busy helping fork [insert no-name Linux distro with Linux at the end of its name so they think you worked on linux]

I thought most higher-ups stopped caring about degrees and just wanted examples.

Is this a bait thread or were you seriously asked this?

You must have the wrong resume, sir.

ITT: Things that no interviewer has ever asked.

My turn:
>It says here you have a master's degree and four years of experience.
>Care to explain why you didn't spend that time getting a PhD?

>A degree

"Why, I had no idea you could greentext in real life"

>Oh, I don't work well in an academic environment. I work far better hands on than I could ever hope to in a class room.
>I hope that the experience I have reinforces this
>Huge used car salesman grin
There, on portion of your standard human interaction bullshit.

Can we go back to shitposting about phones and GPUs now?

This makes the incorrect assumption that you could even score a tech interview without the degree.
Most HR for large companies look down on autodidacts.

OP is just trying to "fit in" by posting this stupid shit that always gets posted; stale pasta to simulate the "neet" that people on here think exist, because MUH MEME CULTURE.

When I had my last four interviews none of them mentioned shit about no degree, nor did they care I am still going to school at my age. I'll say it over and over again, the only thing that is cared is some form of customer service. Customer Service, the face of the employee, the face the customer sees, the smile, social cues, and excellent communication skills is what employers needs from you.

any dumb nigger can turn a screw, but it takes just a bit more than that to achieve IT status.

and yet an autodidact is what they expect you to become as soon as they hire you

>you need a degree to get a job in IT
Pajeet...

Because i don't want to be $30,000+ in debt to the federal government.

I have the qualifications you require and the recommendations to prove it

If what you want is a paper to reassure you then please tell me right now so that I can go make better use of my time

Yeah but they want the little piece of paper that says you're capable of learning.

>IT Status

but can you fizz buzz?

Do you need a degree to get hired? No. If you're at the interview stage, you're fine, don't worry about not having a degree.

If you're #23 in a stack of resumes I get and you don't have an actual degree, it's gonna hurt your chances.

Degrees don't mean you're the bomb, they mean you were able to convince professors for several years you're not a total dumbass.

If you just have experience pushing to some open source projects, bootcamps, whatever, I have no assurance that you're not a complete dumbass.

Write a good cover letter, have a good resume, and it won't make much of a difference.

>wagecuck problems

What does this have to do with Sup Forums?

>Most HR for large companies look down on autodidacts

is this real?

rich white people have no love for me

check my portfolio and s my d

>be fat attentionwhore
>go to gym
>take selfies instead of working out

>implying you wouldn't fuck my ass

Yes, it's real. HR people usually know exactly zero about the job they are supposed to fill. The only thing they have to go on is the checklist that someone in the chain of command gave to them. If "3 year degree" is on the checklist, and your CV does not have that, your CV is filed and that is that.

tl;dr HR is a filter, not a pump.

This.

People don't get fired for hiring someone with a degree who turned out to be shit, but if they hire someone self taught who fucks up, the HR person is in jeopardy.

It's the same thinking as "people don't get fired for recommending microsoft"

I would, what ide do you use? Do you like slapping sounds?

>I'll say it over and over again, the only thing that is cared is some form of customer service. Customer Service, the face of the employee, the face the customer sees, the smile, social cues, and excellent communication skills is what employers needs from you.

Eclipse

yeah, u can slap me all u want, daddy

cum on my face, daddy xoxo

Certs and experience = over a degree any day
>Rather not talk about my industry however, you're kidding yourself if a degree = success

I don't have a degree and I pretty much run numerous projects, assignments, and a department of other techs.

I think I finally understand the business world.

It's all about paying your dues and even if you are qualified for work they won't care unless you wasted years and thousands of dollars going to a shitty college like they did.

Sorry you're incompatible with the modern world, robot.

You are making the assumption that a "self-taught" idiot who doesn't have a degree would even get to the interview stage in the first place.

there's always part time courses. 2 year program in 3-4 years is doable. not worth anything but one could do it if they have confidence issues

unless the boss wants it and is going to pay for it who the hell cares

the only correct answer ITT

and they laughed when we told them equal opportunity hiring was a good idea

Proof of loyalty in spite of well established worthlessness of what youre doing is valuable in the business world. The reasons should be obvious

You're not qualified to work with your one week Javascript "degree" earned from Codecademy.

>I w..was supposed to be p..president.

>Uh, it says here that you had implemented fizzbuzz with 10 different languages on a taiwanese silk weaving imageboard. Would you like to elaborate?

Man what went wrong with him.

Thicccc

certs are a meme and a scam

>Friend says he payed for a Java certification
>They teach him inheritance on the last week
FUCKING INHERITANCE

Shit is only meant to be shown to the H.R. clowns I assume.

>ok i d-don't have a degree, but c-can you rice your desktop with a t-t-t-tiled window manager? ah-ah, d-didn't think so!

N-No. It says I implemented a script that implements enterprise level fizzbuzz

NUMBERS = 100

def getFizzBuzz(number):
if number % 15 == 0:
return "'fizzbuzz'"
elif number % 3 == 0:
return "'fizz'"
elif number % 5 == 0:
return "'buzz'"
else:
return "i"

print("for i in range(1,%i):" % NUMBERS)
for i in range(1,NUMBERS+1):
if i == 1:
print(" if i == %i:\n print(%s)" % (i,getFizzBuzz(i)))
else:
print(" elif i == %i:\n print(%s)" % (i,getFizzBuzz(i)))

No.

But here are some demos

I'm sure you're a 90+ percenter at something, user.

I was too busy writing software that changes lives. My portfolio is worth more than any degree.

So all you have to do is establish worth? Easy peasy.

one time i had a job where my boss tried to blackmail me and failed so i kept up the facade that i couldn't do anything and he stopped trying to create dirt on me.

I also have a degree. Can't a guy teach himself on the side?

I don't have a degree on music production but I have a lot of experiences of it. I can make any genre ever capable of a full track. I really want to make money off of my experience cause I'm too at it but I don't like waiting to get a degree over that takes years to achieve because you need the actual "experience" for it. Things like this in general is just a waste of time and life and I think anyone should attend college no matter how experience you are without a degree. Then again, you can bump into situations where is a lot of troublesome other than the side of things but that's never an excuse to have or not have a degree. Music production you need a bachelors from what I read 6 months back going to HR I believe. If I have experience in music without a bachelors than I have experience knowing my safety awareness and precautions I take seriously. Business isn't just "business" for money. Business is a family of many people who want to join as a whole and a group of teams. Just like what we are doing now. We're talking about education about what level is necessary. It really doesn't make sense about certain disciplines when you can have a discipline of yourself with others on your side. You don't have to know everybody all at once to have a lot of friends. Just talk to a few and continue what you dreamed of and talk to your friends who you have an interest in you. Money doesn't grow on trees to have better "discipline" money grows within a grow of people. Family really matters for all even without one. Consider one person to have one as your family and become a bigger part of your society. It's what I believe strongly.

>that sucked in chest

>America

The thing is, it's so rare for self-taught programmers to know anywhere near as much CS theory as CS grads. This results in them being able to cargo-cult code together, but when given anything that requires a deep understanding, they'll struggle, and produce an inferior solution.

Yet you post here.

That $30k should pay for itself after a few years, in terms of the networking you'll do, the contacts you'll make, and the salary premium you'll command.

I'm sorry, but it says *right there* that I do in fact have a degree.

The software he wrote was a bot that posts that in any thread opening with the word "degree"

Truly life-changing.

i love when candidates make jokes. you should definitely *quickly* follow up with your real answer though.

>cargo-cult code

The bamboo control towers didn't actually attract cargo planes, you know. Are you saying their code doesn't work at all?

You might. I dislike smartass, cocky, or arrogant candidates because it means the interview is a waste of my time. We don't hire those sorts of people.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_programming

i run interviews, and admittedly i went to university so i'm biased, but then everyone is biased in that they all either went to uni or forewent it.

you almost certainly didn't get paid to learn fundamental CS theory and algorithm analysis.

every job i've ever had has only tapped into a facet of these things. no job has given enough cause to comprehensively go and learn stuff, which has only been fine because i already knew all that stuff. so if you didn't go to university, i will assume that you only learned the bare minimum to do the jobs on your CV adequately well.

self-taught and "school of hard knocks" educations are only good at filling in the immediately apparent potholes in your knowledge. the annoying shit that you're inclined to skip gets skipped almost invariably when you take your education into your own hands.

and i'm sick of hearing from people that they're autodidacts. 99% of people who claim to be autodidacts turn out to just be lazy shitheads who read about it somewhere. unless you blow me away by how voraciously you've acquired all this knowledge you've gained, i'm going to assume that you're among the 99%.

I'll be honest, we do actually have a few self taught coders at my company, but whenever we come across someone competent with a degree we use them to replace one of the self taught ones. They were good for building out our initial product, but now that we need to make it scale and be reliable we can't really get much from them. They just don't understand the concepts.

sorry i was being facetious with the first part. nothing puts me off more than an interview candidate who tries to make a game of the interview without cluing me in. my sense is that people that do this have grossly misjudged how good a candidate they are on paper, and they're blowing the only chance i'm giving them to push me over the fence into wanting to hire them.

sometimes Sup Forums asks about interview questions and people post that they would become real children (throwing tantrums, walking out, etc...) about fermi questions. i don't ask fermi questions because they feel contrived to me personally, but i get that some people really like them, and it's not something i feel strongly enough about to advocate the end of them. as a result of my wishy-washy feelings about it (and the practice of having a more senior interviewer help guide a more novice interviewer - killing 2 birds with 1 stone in an interview), sometimes i find myself sitting in on these questions.

if a candidate asks questions that i can only describe as being obstinately stupid - and if it's clear that they're doing it to call attention to how pointless the question is - it really pisses me off. like i usually push to wrap the interview up once that happens. i fully appreciate that you find these questions meaningless - i don't care any more than you do how many golf balls fit into a bus - but this is one way that someone has decided to try and suss out how you think about a problem out of left field. and more to the point, this is clearly not the place to protest it, when we're seemingly captives because we have to give you a fair shake (also, protip: we've designed that atmosphere so you feel like you have a chance; if you're a dickhead, we can walk out just as easily as you can).

i've never heard of that happening, but it doesn't surprise me. self-taught developers very rarely (i won't say never, but *very* rarely) have a good sense of how to work with large codebases (as an example). software design like that just isn't something that comes up organically when you're working on lots of small, albeit useful, projects on your own. there may only be a 50% chance that a graduate from a university has properly learned software engineering principles like design (architectural design, not (necessarily) user interface design), but 50% is a hell of a lot higher than 5%.

i'm also not dead set against hiring people that never went to university (again, agreeing with you i think), but encountering someone with a serious chip on their shoulder about people that went to university (something we're seeing a lot of in this thread) is a definite red flag. i don't need people with unresolved emotional baggage over not going to university. i'll acknowledge that it's something different about you and that it makes you more of an uncertain bet, but that's the extent of it. i don't want to worry that you're going to go on an obnoxious rant about the worthlessness of college degrees whenever i put you in a team with someone/some people that went to a good university.

Completely agree.

It feels like candidates expect us to be able to compress a real world production problem into a one hour interview for them, sometimes. Sure, them working on and fixing some real code would be more helpful for making a hiring decision than them doing some toy problem, but there's nowhere near enough time for them to get all the context necessary to even start working on a real problem.

>Python

>2016
>going for a degree
Schools can't teach IT for shit, it takes the teachers a month to fucking go trough Cisco CCENT part 1 and you can do that shit easy in 2 weeks.

Ohhhh...you're not a actually into software, just IT

>why spend 100K over the course of 4 years
>when i can make 150K in the course of 4 years
>just didnt make sense yo

funfact: most local jobs in central florida love dropouts and tend to even pay them more

mainly because they already have actual work experience

>you almost certainly didn't get paid to learn fundamental CS theory and algorithm analysis.

sadly the school i was going to was not going to teach that in any of the semesters

thats why i dropped out and researched all of that online and worked on my own personal projects

my favorite one is a bot for a messaging network, i had to reverse engineer the logon protocol to even get the bots to logon, then i had to sit around in wireshark all day watching packets from the official client so i could send my own.

Did that shit when i was 16

i went into college completing homework assignments before they were finished being passed around

my professor is the one who found me a job and told me to get the fuck out of college

i now make 70K and actually i'm probably getting a raise soon

Fug. Are you still there?

There are a lot of different solutions to any problem and many academic ones are inferior to the cutting edge. Look at SMT solvers and see how many different ways there are to implement one. Real world problems aren't academic exercises and experience trumps everything.

He took a walk by himself? Holy shit, stop the presses, he must be a ruined man.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Why would I pay money to learn what everyone else is paying to learn, when I could have fun learning everything else that your companies needs on my own?

You posted for an engineering manager, because you want someone to manage your engineers. The typical get more work out of them while lowering costs.

And their are lots of people who can do that, with lots of different methods, some better then others. I could do that if that was what your really wanted. But after studying your companies history and where it is in the market. I can tell you that is not what you really need. You need a person who brings the nontraditional knowledge and skills that nobody in your company has, because that is what will give you a competitive advantage over your competitors who are still follow standard business strategies.

That is what I bring. That annoying other category that you really want but can't easily define.
How many times has you team missed an opportunity because of a communication issue.
Well I'll put a bulletin board in the break room. This is where you laugh and think such cute childish ideas as beneath your company full of professional.

But put that prejudgment aside and think about how such small actions transform the way the whole company operates. That is how I level mountains, not by blasting them as then you still have a mountain of rocks in your way. But I climb to the top and put a solar dehumidifier there and let the condensation wash the whole mountain away while clearing the sky for me. Manage the subtle forces of nature and you manage everything, including a team of engineers.

>Google says you are not among the Fortune 500
>Care to explain why you think that elite hackers would join your mediocre company and apply for this boring job you are offerning?

wow nigger how new are you

Apparently not as new as you. Want to reply to more bait?

I make more than 150k per YEAR straight out of college.

>Google says you are not among the Fortune 500

But you were number one this morning, and you could be again by this evening if you hire me.

Office printer starts printing acceptance form already filled out and signed by the HR rep you are talking with.

Well looks like you just did. I'll have our company back at the top before I leave today.
:)

care to explain why I shouldn't just get NEETbucks for being a autistic faggot and being unable to function in a normie kingdom known as university?

If you want to be poor, sure.

I'm making more than 200k right out of college (Google-tier company). Does this make me better than you?

You're just reinforcing my point.

>be corporate mouthpiece slave
>the candidate didnt take on a 50k loan and get a degree like i did, I'm not gonna hire them
>how dare someone lead a more carefree life than me!!!!

>It says here you have a CS degree with a 4.0 gpa
>Care to explain why you didn't spend that time getting real-world experience?

Yep, but they want impossible examples.
Studied chip manufacturing.

>"Do you have an example of a chip you have made?"
Yes, shows chip. (clean macro solder, like something you could actually build in a garage, but done with a professional level of detail and care)
>I mean a complex chip, not something you'd see at a science fair
Show them my designs for an experimental micro controller I was making which is much more complex.
>I mean a real chip, not some drawing
Do you have an example of the type of chip you want me to help manufacture?
>Something like whats in your cellphone, but it seems you haven't done that.
I could if I had your manufacturing capabilities. I be happy to show you what I can do if you hire me.
>So what your telling me is you have never even made a real chip? And now you are suggesting you want to use this companies state of the art facilitates to help you make one? We are looking for qualified candidates. this interview is over.

Apparently building a working sub-micro CPU is what it takes to get into the industry now. So you can get a job building sub-micro CPUs.

I should have spent that college money on advanced manufacturing equipment.

Nobody wants to train you anymore, yet everyone expects you to have many years of domain-specific knowledge that you could never realistically get without being employed.

ye

unless you claim to be a woman

>i run interviews, and admittedly i went to university so i'm biased,
that's all it boils down too. I'm sorry you had to sink into debt to achieve the same things I have.

however, if a guy straight from MIT or a good non-american uni is competing with me for the job you're offering then I fully understand why you'd go for him. but most CS degrees are actually Visual Studio school and don't touch CS fundamentals at all.

and the jobs you're talking about better pay 80k at least. otherwise fuck off.

if you aren't looking at the contents and reputation of a cert you are liable to waste time and money

RHCE for example is a field exam through and through and it definitely will give you a run for your money

if you pass it, you can be a RHEL sysadmin. no doubt about that. but of course the job listings will also ask for a fucking master's degree.