Gentoo

Is kernel compilation a form of masochism?

It's a form of autism.

Life is a form of masochism.

It's called freedom and enlightenment

It's called having a little too much free time

Compiling kernels is so easy though

you just walk yourself through the configure box and check the things you want and then run "make" and "make install". Then when you update your config file and you merge them, it'll just ask you if you want any of the new features and skip the ones that arent new.

It takes 15 mins, at most.

this

And if you accidentally forget to check something? You're fucked and have to start over

>Have a 40 hour a week job
>Still have more than enough time to install Gentoo
What, do you work on the weekend too?

More common features are checked by default, and you should know your hardware and which kernel drivers it needs

No you don't. Where are you getting your info? If you forget to check something you go back into the directory, find it and check it, recompile and reboot. Everything you checked stays checked, even after an update. It's all stored in the .config file, look inside it. It's just stuff like

MAKE_THIS_DRIVER_WORK=y
MAKE_THIS_DRIVER_WORK=n

If you forget to check something why would you think it's going to delete the entire file and restart again lol

this

I use Debian because its easy

You can compile a kernel on debian, mint or ubuntu.

Debian is the only distro that isnt Gentoo that's actually forced me to compile my own kernel to get it functional. The only difference is that I wasnt expecting or wanting it with Debian, I was with Gentoo.

I know I can, but I've never once had to. What were you doing that you had to, anyway?

ath9k support

I was surprised because it wasnt a minimal install and even Gentoo checks it by default, had to download the firmware and patch it in manually.

Kernel itself takes litterally no time, the modules kills it if you need alot.
It's easy and fun

Do you live in a reality where you can't compile the kernel while going about your business as usual?

>too much free time
People need to realize that's a bullshit argument because you're here posting on 4chins. You mean to tell me that you don't have a few extra minutes to compile in the background?

You don't consider recompiling starting over?

zcat /proc/config.gz > .config

I'm talking about after the kernel is compiled and you fail to reboot.

why would you recompile everything ?

to go fast

Well, because do you not have to recompile from source to incorporate different kernel modules etc. Sorry, I don't really understand how the kernel works tbqh

nah you just need to compile the specific module you are missing.
but thats the same for all software

On a desktop, using the BFS and BFQ scheduelers will give you better cpu and disk performance. You can also add stuff like TuxOnIce (advanced hibernation) and UKSM.