/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/Casio-W800H-1AV-Classic-Digital-Sport/dp/B001AWZDA4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470398854&sr=8-1&keywords=W800H-1AV
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for smooth-sweep quartz

Second for escapement jewels

What does /wt/ think of the Mudman series?

This, should I get it? From what I've read they seem to be on par with Seiko. Can any user confirm?

Third for Gshock 5610 fire and forget until a battery change timekeeping solutions.

They're fine, I guess. A little expensive for what they are. Get-it-if-you-like-it tier

I see, thanks user! Appreciate it.

Bump.

>That Mirexal is nice enough to warrant keeping.
i need to get it fixed though, it seems to get moisture under the front glass randomly
>The other two however, just get a Speedy or something.
out of my price range, i can only go to ~€400 (can i even get good trade in for the Tissot? should i even?)

FML, I just can't stop shopping for watches. After buying 5 this year and promising that I'd stop and save until next year for a Speedy and a Nomos, I'm making excuses to buy entry-level/mid-range watches as presents for other people. People who aren't necessarily into watches. I want off this wild ride.

Pretty good gshock. If only it was solar as well.
Tried it out before I bought the field khaki and its a lot more shouty design wise compared to the hamilton. Lume is crap on both of them so if you like good lume stick to seiko. 28,800 bph is a bit nicer than the usual 21,600 on the seikos its competing with.

Forgot to add. Go try it out first then decide.

Postin' Speedy

nth for escapement theory

this stuff is gay

at least you didn't fly to Istanbul to buy fake Rolexs

Who came up with this gay ass copypasta thread starter

apologizing to the hotpockets is like the most cucked thing you could possibly do

Literally kill yourself

Not solar.

If I buy a quartz watch, it better fucking be solar. Just get a 5600.

Garbage I got for only $10.

Very stronk watch comrade. Stronk like bear. Will tell time deep into Siberian nights.

You should better invest those dollars in a sandwich, skelleton.

>food already visible in background
Come on, man. I'm trying.

>apologizing to the hotpockets

What do you guys think of my 1st Swiss Watch?

I don't hate Tissot, but that second hand makes me want to run towards the nearest living thing and kill it.

Pretty basic finishing, decent work horse movement. Styling might be dated in a few years. Reminds me of a Nike in watch form. Did you get it during the Jomashop sale? How's the time keeping? I wonder what grade of that movement Tissot uses, and whether or not they adjust it.

The timekeeping is better than my Seikos but strangely enough every one of my Orients run at like +1, and I've got 5 of them. I got it during an Amazon sale.

>tfw no wristwatch with that dial
seriously, why didn't they do that

Someone said Steinhart are shit in the last thread, so I am kinda cautious. What is the consensus on specifically THIS watch the Ocean 1 Vintage Military, the homage to the Rolex 5517. $400 shipped from the company but its $520 for an older version on Ebay. Can someone explain to me why the older version with the incorrect depth rating is more expensive?

Well have you run out of people to buy watches for yet?

I've only ever bought watches for my mother and father

is the SKX discontinued or is it a meme?

If so I think I did good by getting a 009 a few weeks ago for only $170

honestly they look nice but everyone is going to be like hurr nice rolex..

I wanted one but then I sort of came to my senses and said $500 for a homage is 1/4 of the way to a good condition Black Bay

Yes

I'm shopping for an under $400 used entry-level luxury as a belated father's day present for my dad (looking at Oris's and some higher-end Hamiltons now). He's kind of a pleb-tier watch enthusiast (knows a bit about the big brands like Rolex, Omega, Seiko, Citizen etc. and the difference between the different types of movements) and currently wears a Seiko Kinetic as his daily driver. He also bought a bunch of replica Rolexes for shits and giggles on a China trip years ago. So I think he'll appreciate a Swiss/German meme watch. I wanted to buy the gf an Orient but she refuses to wear any watch.

skx on an oyster

Got my lm special back from the watch guy today. It appears he gave me a full service for $45 USD

Got it working fine. He said it was running 20-30 seconds/day. Might regulate it, might not, I can't even wear it at the moment, the bracelet is too small

Would any of you guys be interested in purchasing this citizen from me?

It's the citizen I thought was running retarded from ages ago

Turns out it just needs a service. It would tick for a couple of hours but when the mainspring stopped applying maximal torque as it unwinded it would stop because of the lubricants that had thickened. And when I picked it up to check the time it had gained and lost it the movement from doing so would get it moving again

I'm willing to get it serviced before selling it, I'll give a receipt for the service as well

What do you guys think of the Seiko Sumo?
Only an ~80 cuckbuck step up from the turtle and it seems to be superior in every way.
I like the 20mm lug width by the way w/ the tapering bracelet, hate wide non-tapering bracelets.

Stop peddling your dogshit here.

Not big on the Sumo design myself. I'd rather try to get one of the 6R15 powered Monsters.

i like my sumo

It's the bezel font that turns you off isn't it?
I like it alot more than that retarded cyclops on the new monster.
How has it held up for you? Is the indented bezel annoying to use?

I think the hour and seconds hands are retarded looking too.

It's my main watch, really good. The power reserve is crazy 50 hours which is nice. The indented bezel doesn't bother me at all. The only thing is the bracelet is a little cheap in my opinion. I bought an endmill strapcode bracelet to replace it.

Yeah I would also go for a strap code bracelet, non GS-tier bracelets made by Seiko are never perfect.
I think I'll go for the all black one then. It looks like you've been using yours for a while, any grievances?

Eat a dick you stupid cunt, I wouldn't even give you the pleasure of me raping you before I slit your throat

Am I crazy for wanting one of the Ecozillas?

it's nice but sometimes I wish I had a dressier diver, the sumo is large and gives off a more toolish look in my opinion. But it's hard to find a better diver at this price point.

Will try it on today, thanks for the informative post user!

On the off chance that someone here actually does such work, does anyone here make custom clock movements? I'm looking for a non standard movement, and can't find someone to make it, and can't get a reply from big clock

Maybe you should trade up to a Shogun then. It's as dressy as a diver of this size could get.

>dressy diver
pls

Would 22mm straps fit my 21mm watch?`

Nothing will make you hate Tissot more than owning a vintage Tissot.

They used to be so good, and now I'm unable to like any of their watches.

Yep, I've done something like that multiple times.

My point exactly.
Get a thick (>3mm) 20mm one instead. I had a 21mm lug watch that I fitted a 20mm strap on. If it's thick enough you won't notice the tiny gap.

Just saw this on ebay
Not sure if want

What do you guys think about the Bulova moon watch?
To be honest I like it better then the Omega one and it doesn't seems like they're milking the shit out of it with that whole man on the moon bullshit.

It uses the 262khz, so that's neato I guess. Only drawback is that I'm afraid that it will be too big for 19cm/7.5 wrist as it is almost 45mm.

No way to actually try in on as barely anyone in this shithole country sells it, and even the ones that do charge it for almost 1500$ and I'm not gonna make that trip just to get mad.

If they actually used the same movement & dial layout as the original, I'd buy it in an instant. It's a one of a kind though, so I can understand why they wouldn't want to take it apart just to remake the movement.

the only watch by my post that is even worth purchasing.

It's a pretty cool watch. I don't like the 1/10th seconds register though, wish the chronograph was seconds/minutes/hours instead. As for the size it'll be fine. I've got the same size wrist and have tried on watches that size and they fit, any bigger though is no good.

Nice but too buku.

My new watch. Seiko snkn01.

The older model has a black dial, the new one is grey. In some lighting the grey dial looks far too light so a lot of people don't like it. Demand + scarcity = value.

I do have to admit. I feel the need to call you a cunt.

Didn't know those were so cheap, any word on how they are compared to other divers in that price range? Looking at one in the UK, it's £315..That's Sumo money..

I have a modernized version of this, looks pretty much like the right one but without all the yellow letters and hex pattern. Got it a few weeks ago, pretty good so far and the inverted LCD looks nice.

What if i want an elegant watch but i want stopwatch,timer and alarms too? Pic related is what i found so far

Auto Chrono with mechanical alarm. Git looking.

Digital will never look elegant.

What do you mean? A custom watch movement, or a big clock, or some mechanism not for telling the time at all?

I couldnt find anything, can you provide a link or a more specific name please?

Neat. Head-on pic?

Ignore that guy, he's fucking with you. A watch like he's describing would cost like $10k or more.

I wasn't so much hinting towards specific watches, but just what to look for.

And the user didn't provide a budget. So what are we to assume?

120 point bezel.
2824-2 movement.
300m WR.
Reasonably slim for a diver. (17mm)

Yep. Paycheck will be put to good use next month.

17mm is not "reasonably slim", that's thick as fuck.

>17mm
>Slim
Either you've worn only fuckhuge plastic gshocks and or you're plain stupid.

Neither the Skx007 nor the Amphibia are as thick as that.

Most fuckers I see are nigh 19-20mm. So it could just be my perception of it.

Amphibia at 14.3mm and SKX at 13.2mm.

Plus anything above 15mm is already going to be very uncomfortable to wear.

Even my thick as fuck borealis is 15mm. I don't know where you got the specs from but that Steinhart is 13mm.

I thought to go for the safe bet and use the larger figure as not to be called out for spreading FUD.

They use an eta 2824 don't they?

Bout to buy this

Any objections?

amazon.ca/Casio-W800H-1AV-Classic-Digital-Sport/dp/B001AWZDA4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470398854&sr=8-1&keywords=W800H-1AV

What's the name of the book. I want to learn

I bought my wife a dreyfus & co watch and a vintage seiko.
I keep an eye out for the odd ladies watch so i don't have any problems with my habit.
She complains i am spending too much on watches, but her one. All is forgotten

How much for not serviced?

Yeah. That thing looks like it needs to be mercy killed, or displayed at baselworld with a $100,000 price tag that makes no sense

I don't like the tachymeter, otherwise is nice looking watch

>"vintage" lume
Dog fucking shit.

Are you Tasmania guy?

looks fine to me
my Casio W-59 just arived, finaly a new watch

Ayyy

Looking for a leather strap that accepts deployment clasps vs the standard buckle fixtures.

Something that preferably sits as a bracelet would, only fastened to the single springbar, not like a NATO where it afixes to both.

If I am making any sense in the slightest.

Okay copping
Casio cheap digis are such utility pieces

Yeah that's me. The citizen looks a bit like a seiko skyliner.
Is it a competitor?

Ayyy

So are you the Tasmainian guy or not?

Was able to more or less find out how much will the shipping cost.

No.
Natos do not affix to either spring bar.
Also want you want will not work because the watch will slip around on the strap.
They do make leather with a deployant clasp, or you can buy a clasp to go on any leather band

Yeah that's me.

This 'garbage' is an original 60's Vostok Amphibia. It looka really beat to shit but most of Vostok Amphibias have the same design and measures and you could easily swap the movement for a new but same one, buy a new crystal, crown and polish it. Because these original older models made for divers and kosmonauts are rare AF