I have a dual opteron board that won't post but will startup the fans as normal and has the ASB4 hearbeat led going off...

I have a dual opteron board that won't post but will startup the fans as normal and has the ASB4 hearbeat led going off as normal.. The system is a KGPE-D16 board. I' pretty sure I have the ram in correctly? its ten sticks and I have been reading the manual.

Here is the ram configuration. There are no googlable solutions for this since it is a server board that nearly no gaymer uses.

>opteron

>im too dumb to do binary searches for bad ram or cpus

Welp. Test each ram, see if them arent too diferent from each other (clock, latency, etc)

Both tested well on single cpu board test benches and the ram is good.

Seems to be Identical ram. I'm even using a brand new board. the other one wouldn't post or spin the fans. the heartbeat still came on though.

assuming you've reset your cmos settings, then your board is fucked and you learned the hard way why ESD safety is important.

Luckily it was an free board. I have an extra board with different issues but his one has no discernable issues. Welp, sucks to suck.

I know you said you're following the manual but for sure your RAM adheres to the following?

>You may install 1GB/2GB/4GB/8GB/16GB Registerd or 1GB/2GB/4GB Unbuffered
with ECC/Non-ECC DDR3 DIMMs into the DIMM sockets using the memory
configurations in this section.

Connect a speaker to the speaker header to listen for POST codes.
Check the Asus QVL list to see if your RAM is listed.
Install the minimum possible number of RAM modules and CPUs.
If none of that helps, buy another lower-end CPU for it, and buy some RAM modules that are on the QVL list - should be cheap stuff on eBay. The reason I say another CPU is because if your board has an old BIOS, it may not be compatible with the newer CPUs until you update it.

>i'm too retarded to realize there is a piezo buzzer on the board just like every other board made in the past 30 years.

Good one, you must have an A+ cert!

Many common current and past motherboards don't have a speaker built-in. Furthermore, the manual for this specific board makes it clear that if you want to hear system beeps and warnings, a speaker should be connected to the speaker header.

the buzzer is right next to the CMOS battery retard, the header is just for a redundant one.

All of the ram are these kits of 2 if that helps

unluckily I do not have a 4 pin speaker. I received this in a stack of second hand computers when I received my new office.

I find one post about this board involving hexacore processors and needing to buy a dual core to flash the bios. Anyone have a clue as to which would be the best low-end chip to slap in this for a test?

I'd expect if you go to the mfr support page and look at the BIOS releases, you'll see all the change logs saying which CPU support was added with each release. I believe Wikipedia has a list of opterons along with release dates.

A four pin speaker is nothing. You could connect literally any speaker you have lying around.

>10/16 ram slots filled
I see one problem. Chances are the motherboard supports 2 channels and you've fucked it up by mismatching it.
Try filling 8.

Manual had a chart displaying a 10-dimm setup

The author was probably drunk. There are 2 possible configurations for DDR3: dual channel and triple channel. If your total number of slots is divisible by 3, you probably have triple channel. Otherwise (in your case) you have dual channel.

Would it hurt to try though?

Changing ram configuration won't hurt anything.

>There are 2 possible configurations for DDR3: dual channel and triple channel.
They why are my Xeon X5-2600s all quad channel?

>X5
E5

>Opteron
>AMD
>Using a SHIT cpu/gpu manufacture

fuck off, AMD is absolute shit, there is literally nothing good about the shit 480, which the fucking 1050 is going to shit on, plus why would you ever use such a shit card in the first place

fuck off

the 1070 and 1080 are absolute god tier.

Bump