/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Correct formatting edition.
>pcpartpicker.com
Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
>logicalincrements.com/
Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL
General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
>wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC
Information about how to build a pc, how to select components, and much, much more advice.
- Post your list, rate other user's, ask questions in general.
- Always state the purpose of your PC and your budget. If asking for improvements, state whether you want to price improved or the quality.

I'm just making this because I think it's nice to consolidate this discussion, rather than having a dozen pcpartpicker threads per hour. Feel free to suggest changes to the OP.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/HsvBZ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/6dWgJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/7zdykT
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/MLgvWX
pcpartpicker.com/list/vDvBZ8
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/WZy6RG
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ndQmgL
pcpartpicker.com/list/vhL3tJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/6PqCLD
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854004
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147053
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352030
pcpartpicker.com/user/PrivateJoker27/saved/hdH48d
youtu.be/Er_Fuz54U0Y
pcpartpicker.com/list/YqzJbj
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/sNVtgL
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128840
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Jm4HBP
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/7wx8M8
pcpartpicker.com/user/TheRedChameleon/saved/mrwwrH
it.pcpartpicker.com/list/YdDtpb
pcpartpicker.com/list/DxHXvV
it.pcpartpicker.com/list/gpKf9W
drako.it/drako_catalog/product_info.php?products_id=18833
phanteks.com/enthoo-evolv.html
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9svPnn
it.pcpartpicker.com/list/NQBMcc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>If asking for improvements, state whether you want to price improved
God damn it, so close. Oh well, I'm not making another for a while.

I will make one op, don't worry.

Well, Just to kick things off, this is my attempt at getting the absolute most In-game frames per dollar, poorfag mode. The goal is to have a good looking system that gets high frame-rates in games, but stay as budget as possible. This means ram must have heat spreaders(for looks), semi-modular psu at least, ect. I'm not actually building it, just a mental exercise I suppose.
>why no SSD?
Not necessary for the goal of the build.
>why no rx 480 4gb?
Impossible to find, stock cooler is garbage any way.
>why no r9 390?
Same price as 1060, but about 10% lower power, except games that use the async compute.

pcpartpicker.com/list/HsvBZ8

I'm looking for an extremely large case. No windows, minimal rice. Do they exist?

So I've had my computer for at least 4 years already, but today my old 7850 died. I figured since I'm replacing the GPU, I might as well upgrade my previous CPU (which was an i3-2120) and buy a 1080p monitor (been using 1600x900). How's this looking as an upgrade? The motherboard on there is the one I currently have.

On the off chance the i3-2120 won't in some way drag the 970 down and would be fine to keep for playing stuff like FO4, please let me know though. Oh and my Neo Eco 520w will still be fine, right? I looked into it a bit and it should be, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Budget was approved for four of these. Deep diving into CEPH and Storage Spaces Direct. I get to keep and use for whatever, and work is paying the tab. Pretty happy about that.

I don't have the SAS controller listed, but each node will get a SAS2LP-MV8 as well, and I already have the 10GB switch. Nested virtualization is going to be interesting.

pcpartpicker.com/list/6dWgJV

Is this what you have or what you are buying?

Everything but the motherboard is what I plan on buying, sorry.

pcpartpicker says you're short by 2 sata cables. How do you plan on fitting all that into such a tiny case? Seems like a kick ass work machine though.

It seems like you're paying a lot for a 3rd gen I5 to support something you already have. Try something like this...

pcpartpicker.com/list/7zdykT

The aforementioned SAS2LP-MV8

They don't take that into account.

The Node 804 is designed for this.

Unless you're buying it used you'd be quite a stupid individual to buy a 970 at that price

ahh that makes sense. My only other question, would a UPS make sense with this? Or would it be using an external wall UPS?

Yeah the alternative version I was looking at was running me about $100 more than the one I posted, though yours seems to be a much better alternative aside from the 1060 being sold out everywhere I've seen (same with the RX 480 which I was originally looking at). Thanks, user.

Yeah I hardly know anything about computer hardware (especially current stuff), so I can't really disagree with you.

I have an existing UPS that I'll be using as well.

Remember, I'm going to be building 4 of these, and interconnecting them with 10gig-e

Normally I'd recommend the 4gb rx 480
But due to your shit processor and the fact that amd still has that issue to fix, i'd recommend the 1060.
You have to snipe a deal but you can get it for 249$ I've seen it. Today even it's been available at that price.
Just gotta be really quick because it sells out in minutes
Use nowinstock.net and email notifiers on the retail websites.
The 1060 beats out the 970 by a good margin, cheaper than the one you listed. More vram, less power etc etc.
Not to mention you can overclock it far past stock 980 levels

first time building, any suggestions?

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/MLgvWX

Oh, man that site is perfect. I was just about to backorder a $280 version of the 1060 on Newegg. Thanks, man. Yeah I definitely like your build more. The extra price would be well worth it.

I find this really fascinating. My job doesn't involve computers at all, I'm just Sup Forums spillover if I'm being 100% honest, but I really enjoy learning about different uses of computers.
What kind of data is the CEPH and Storage Spaces Direct managing? Is it research data of some kind? Corporate level economical data? It's very interesting to me what lies outside the consumer space.

got they new streamlined op ready lads prepare to migrate

Waiting on the case and second SSD
pcpartpicker.com/list/vDvBZ8
rip thinkcenter case

While I'll be playing with CEPH, it will likely end up being a Server 2016 storage spaces direct cluster when it gets to production, as well as run about 160 Hyper-V VM's.

It's a proof of concept, as traditional SAN's start to nickel and dime you for license costs. If it runs the way we expect it to, we'll start replacing the dev environment SAN's (VNX 9xxx).

do you ''''''''''''''really'''''''''''' need 32gb of ram?
also the 1tb ssd is a bit excessive, the idea behind and SSD for personal computers is that you keep the OS and important applications on it, and put everything else on a cheaper, 1tb+ HDD

i suggest 16gb of ram, a 120gb ssd and a 2tb HDD

thanks, any point in having an i7/ any other changes?

A 120GB SSD is really tight, and SanDisk Ultra series is decent.

I wouldn't go any smaller than a 480GB SSD on a new build.

Cheaper z170 motherboard, that thing is overpriced
You don't need 32gb ram, get 16gb but rated for around 2800mhz. Don't cheap out on ddr4, it makes a difference this time around, get some good latencies.
I'd also go for a high tier air cooler instead such as the noctua or the dark rock pro 3, the kraken is a fantastic cooler but it gets considerably noisy if it'll bother you

>poorfag mode
>$785
yeah, okay

He said poorfag mode not turbo poverty poorfag

What are your needs? It seems you're gaming at 4k or 1440p mostly. If that's the case, 32gb of ram will absolutely never get used. You'd be lucky to use 10gb.

This is how I trimmed some money off that build while sticking to an all black/white color scheme.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/WZy6RG

plan on using it for VR and gaming

latest iteration
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

Same guy
Almost what this guy did
I'd just go for better ram, and if you really plan on taking the cpu to its limits to get a stronger cpu cooler, but the h7 is fantastic for value

I too like just using processors

wrong link

Thank you for linking to my site (Logical Increments).

For anyone reading this (particularly if you are new to PC building/choosing parts), please let me know if you have any suggestions, comments, or criticisms. Let me know if there is anything I can do to make the site/information more accessible to people who are new. If there are any questions/information that can help newbies choose better parts, tell me so I can add it.

Site was made with community feedback. Thank you.

I work for $9.50 and hour 30 hours a week. If I can afford a $785 machine after saving for a few weeks, certainly somebody looking to make this a long term daily driver can justify it. See .

Trying linking it again there chap.

Anything wrong with the ram? Besides the fact that it's 2133 and not 2400mhz.

still have to find a nice 1080p IPS monitor

any ways I can cut down the cost without sacrificing too much? is the motherboard overkill? anything else I should swap out?

pcpartpicker.com/list/vhL3tJ

>turbo poverty poorfag
>can't spend $800 on a new computer
try to hide you insecurity a little better next time desu

pcpartpicker.com/list/6PqCLD

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854004
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147053
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352030

You can get 16GB for ~$60. Not sure why you are getting a mATX mobo with a full tower case.

my build: pcpartpicker.com/user/PrivateJoker27/saved/hdH48d

question: my PC is bluescreening on login screen, and my HDD also died (I boot off the solid state so it still boots)

should i try RMAing the motherboard or just give up and replace the mobo with something with an i7? how much can i keep from this PC to minimize the damage? i've had it for just over a year, so i'm pretty dissapointed.

It just gets outperformed
Makes a difference in memelake
youtu.be/Er_Fuz54U0Y

But that's not me user
I spent 2k canadabux back on mine a couple years back

>my PC is bluescreening on login screen
Googled the error message?

Well it's certainly £180 cheaper, and will perform exactly the same. The case is another area you could easily shave off some money, but if you really like it, go for it. It's a quality case.

I just have a question. I really love your site since it makes it very easy for new people to begin the search for parts and you update it very frequently. however, looking at the peripherals lists, I see the monitor one hasn't been updated for 8-9 months. do monitors not get released as often as PC components? are there not better, newer ones available?

mainly because I don't have any idea what I'm doing. someone said the gaming one was really good for that price so I put it in there. what would you suggest? changing the mobo or the case? is all RAM pretty much the same as long as I get ddr4-3200?

thanks

find a flaw

pcpartpicker.com/list/YqzJbj

>pcpartpicker.com/user/PrivateJoker27/saved/hdH48d
You even kept my typo. kek.

Wow, we chose similar components, I just finished building my first desktop: ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/sNVtgL

Peripheral tech do not get updated as much as other PC hardware. That said, I should update the standard screens section.

mATX mobos are smaller, but typically have less features. They are meant to fit in smaller cases. The case you picked out is a full tower case. You can opt for a smaller case, and save some $$$. Or you can get a (slightly) better mobo for the same price or cheaper.

Example: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128840

>1TB SSD for $400.
>TN panel screen for $400

well fuck me
anyway I suggest changing the general to /pbg/

Case, power supply, and monitor are disproportionately expensive compared to the rest of the system.

wouldn't a larger case help with heat dissipation? space isn't an issue so I will swap out the mobo to the one you suggested, thank you!

>wouldn't a larger case help with heat dissipation?
If it has the proper airflow, of course!

/pcbg/ was kind of a pun because printed circuit board. I like your layout.

Idc what the specifics are though, I just created the thread to consolidate all the "rate my build" threads that get 6 replies and then 404. Also something something community something.

The rule of thumb for generals is to let the first thread bump limit or reach the last page before making a new one though. Use /vg/ for reference.

>The rule of thumb for generals is to let the first thread bump limit or reach the last page before making a new one though.
Yeah, now there are two threads. The other OP should delete the new thread, until this one is over.

But the case, power supply, and monitor can last multiple systems. Same with the expensive mech keyboard.

Screen/PSU is fine, but I am with the other user on the case. The case is definitely overpriced. Also: Why the 380X for that price? How much are the RX480/470 in Canadia?

Is this a good cooler for i7-6700k
Noctua NH-U12S 120x120 mm

medium build for 827€ i ordered yesterday

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Jm4HBP

Yes, very good.

Ok-ish. Could have gone for a better PSU and GPU.

i actually got a be quiet! PURE POWER L9 350W, but this model does not show up in the part picker.

I chose the gpu for its good value per money efficiency. I will replace it in 1,5 - 2 years when it starts limiting the system

Well the RX 460 releases on Monday, but it's not like you can't send it back.

got some extra to spend on this, what would you change?

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/7wx8M8

if you plan to run vms or something similar with high ram requirements, i would upgrade to 32GB ram.

this is just a very situational upgrade and the build seems fine to me

Which 1070? Don't care about looks, size, or weight.
MSI Gaming X? 10 Power phases, others are usually at 8.

Because i eas high that night build.
pcpartpicker.com/user/TheRedChameleon/saved/mrwwrH
Be gentle on me ok

> Build
it.pcpartpicker.com/list/YdDtpb
This build is a mix of modest, good and great components from Logical Increments. Monitor isn't there because I already have it: Asus VG248QE (1 ms / 144 HZ / 1920x1080). Some prices had to be added manually because PcPartPicker wasn't able to detect prices from Amazon.it.

> Budget
Not really strict, but I wouldn't want to spend more than 700 euro, especially for wasted potential since my needs aren't really special

> Purposes of the build
Working: writing documents, creating powerpoints and various kinds of presentations, surfing the net (a lot)
Entertainment: watching anime and vidya, listening to music (already have an external DAC/amp, then no need for a perfomant soundcard)
Games: Fistful of Frags and Team Fortress 2 for now, I might get also Chivalry Medieval Warfare and Garden Warfare 2 in the future. I don't mind low/bad graphic quality, what I'm looking for is just a stable and high performance even after some hours of continuous gameplay. I want to exploit the potential of my monitor to the fullest, even though I know that for Chivalry and Garden Warfare 2 it will be hard to reach 144 fps. Is there a problem if I can only reach, let's say, 75-80 fps in those two games?
1) I'm still not sure that the CPU I chose might be enough for those titles. I could always change it with a i5 6500, the extra money aren't a problem to me at all.
2) Silence and cool temperatures of the PC are important features to me. The temperature in my room is always around 25°C and I might add some fans to the case when it's necessary in the future.
3) why getting a cheap GTX 750ti when there are better options? Looking at some videos on YT, the GTX 750Ti performs really well on the games I'm interested in at max/high settings. I would gladly use med or even low settings if this provided more fps.
4) why that mobo? It has all I need.
5) why no HDD? Already have a 1TB external HDD. I want SSD for short load times.

Very good as is. I would change the 400R for the Enthoo Pro, but you do not have to.

>it.pcpartpicker.com/list/YdDtpb

why a 520W PSU when even a 300W one would be overpowered for this build?

also i see DDR4-2400 but the H110 chipset only supports up to DDR4-2166

Also going the extra like 10 to get a 650 watt PSU for sli isn't a bad idea, 550 would be close with OC

You have about ~150 Eurodollars to upgrade that build, yes? I would highly recommend getting a better GPU than that, since you have a sweet 144Hz gaming screen. Not sure how much the RX480/470 are now in Euroland, but take a look at those as an alternative. If you have enough Eurodollars left after upgrading the GPU, consider getting a 256GB SSD instead of 128GB.

Ssd is overpriced for sure and I got a Dell with the same 4k tn panel for 300

would pcpartpicker.com/list/DxHXvV be a decent hackintosh machine for messing around with iOS development? (not buying a mac mini because the hardware in them is ancient)

> why a 520W PSU when even a 300W one would be overpowered for this build?
Are you really sure that 300W might be enough?
> also i see DDR4-2400 but the H110 chipset only supports up to DDR4-2166
my bad, I need to change that.

I really don't have a limit to say the truth, 200 euro of upgrade could be fine if they were necessary. You're not the first person recommending me a RX 480/470. They're surely great video cards: RX 480 goes for around 289 euro here, whereas I haven't seen prices of the 470 yet. Aren't those video cards a bit too powerful for my games? are they silent? Do they overheat? do they work well on my mobo and my CPU?

D14 -> D15 or D15S
2x256GB -> 1x500GB

PartPicker shows your max power need as 182 W. As PSUs run optimally not over 80% load, everything over 230W should suffice.

When you look at PartPicker's breakdown over power usage you'll notice that the assumptions are made very precise.

Yeah, but why would you settle with 300W when the price difference hardly exists.
At worst he gets to use the 520W in a new build or have a secure upgrade path for this one.

It's not like he's overshooting it with a kW PSU.

I was thinking about the 15 but it's the maximum size the case supports, would it be a good idea to still get it?

Regarding the SSDs I'm gonna put them in raid1 and 256GB is big enough

yeah I really don't mind a more powerful PSU. I'd rather have more power than requested than the contrary. So what about this build instead? Could it work according to you? it.pcpartpicker.com/list/gpKf9W
I could spend 50 euro more in case anything else is necessary according to you...

This is the Asus Radeon I could buy here: drako.it/drako_catalog/product_info.php?products_id=18833

Well if you're looking for silence and low temps, a blower design by Asus of all the 3rd party offerings isn't the one you should be picking.

Ok. There aren't other RX 480 available here atm though....the RX 480/470 excluded, what other options do I have for good GPU? What about a GTX 960? I can get it for 189 euro.

On the site you posted, they've got a custom 1060 for 10€ over the RX 480.
I'd defn go with that one.

And it's EVGA, so stepping it up in the future might be an option.

Any mATX case /very/ similar to this one (Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX)?
It's quite big for a Mini-ITX case, and if I went with 1150 socket, I'd only have 2 ram slots for 16GiB total, and I'm worried that I'll want more than 16 in the future.

I want to go 1150 because of Xeon E3-1231v3. Are any 1151 Xeons basically a 6700 but no iGPU? They seem to be much pricier, is it worth the DDR4?

Also are higher-end motherboards worth the higher clocked RAM compatibility if I'm not going to OC?

Ok thank you. Is it compatible to the mobo and the case?

there is an matx version

phanteks.com/enthoo-evolv.html

The mATX version is literally double the price in my country (Czech Republic)
Mini-ITX is 65€ (21% VAT, shipping)
mATX is 130€ (21% VAT, shipping)

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9svPnn

built this yesterday for a friend

How much did this cost in 2009, how good was it in 2009 and if we would build a computer similar to it today, selecting the parts we selected back then based on the release patterns of the manufacturers, what kind of PC would we build?

>ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9svPnn
seems good

mabye a z170 chipset and ddr4-3000 would have been a more fitting choice for this cpu/gpu combo

It's a small card.
I'd say it should fit in just about anything.

Thank you very much.
it.pcpartpicker.com/list/NQBMcc
Is my build fine now? or is there any bottleneck? is it necessary to get a i5 6500? How does this card perform in terms of silence and heating?

Looks good, that case is a good one, just kind of ugly. Great airflow and well built however

rate