Switching to Linux

Windows user here. I want to get into using Linux. What distro should I install first?

Other urls found in this thread:

zdnet.com/article/how-to-install-linux-mint-on-your-windows-pc/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Use whichever you wan't, they're literally the same shit in different package.

> another one of these threads

IMO use Fedora w/ KDE.

antergos

Ubuntu, Debian or Mint. I find the MATE desktop to be very flexible, so do that one. Or LXDE.

Do not nuke your Windows drive.

>making this thread and expecting anything but install gentoo spam

but seriously go with something like lubuntu, then migrate to debian, then decide you want to pull the freetard trigger and buy a thinkpad and run arch on it

>tfw tried making several live usbs of Lubuntu and Ubuntu to try gnu/linux but none of them worked

pretty frustrating.

Why not?

Why didn't it work

gNewsense with hardware approved by the Linux foundation, kek.

KDE Neon is only rational choice.

Use the Rosa Image Writer. It's flawless.

I think it's something to do with my mobo's UEFI.

At first it wouldn't even get to the "try Lubuntu without installing screen" but I changed some settings after reading some common problems and got to that screen but then after I selected that option it would change screen and these strange error type lines would pop up saying some technical shit. Something about no cache found. I should have taken a picture of it, but I was too annoyed to continue.

I don't really want to try on a VM because that doesn't accurately capture how it would be to use it as my main OS.

Always gentoo

in all seriousness, take a look at Ubuntu (and things like Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc) and Mint if you want hand-holding, Fedora if you want a "real" distro that's still relatively easy to use, and Arch if you want to go balls-deep.

Kubuntu is dead, motherfucker. KDE Neon is where it is.

I tried UNetBootin, Rufus, and the Pendrive linux site's live usb maker so I don't think it's the live usb maker that's the problem.

I don't really want to partition my SSD for dual booting and I don't want to put an OS on my HDD.

If you are sure you don't want Windows anymore then do it, otherwise partition or buy another drive.

Start with ubuntu MATE. When you are comfy use your own DIY distro like arch, ubuntu mini or debian mini etc

Ok MATE, I'll start with Ubuntu then.

Is this a good spoon feed guide? I wanna try the usb option first

zdnet.com/article/how-to-install-linux-mint-on-your-windows-pc/
Now with link

Try liveUSBs of Ubuntu, Mint and Manjaro. See what ecosystem and desktop environment you like best.