Why do people pay thousands (+ 4 years of life) for a degree when you can learn anything you want on the internet for...

Why do people pay thousands (+ 4 years of life) for a degree when you can learn anything you want on the internet for free?

Teaching yourself the equivalent of a 4 year degree isn't that easy.

Same reason why people pay for useless degrees like gender studies

I wish kancercolefags would die.

Someone is probably more inclined to hire someone who has a proven degree instead of someone who has taught themselves 4 years worth of the subject

This, also if you learn everything from the internet, you can't prove anyone you know all those things.

HR will trash your resume the moment they see you don't have a degree.

>Why do people do X activity?
>Same reason people do X activity

Good job retard.

Just get a cert to prove you're capable (they cost just hundred something).

People are always, without exception, very soft on themselves. The best way to learn is when you constantly have someone peering down your shoulder, whether it's other students or the teacher.

> want to learn things not published yet
> derp just google it

yeah ok, faggot OP

google is useless for doing things like actual primary research

This is a great point.

>Why do people pay thousands (+ 4 years of life) for a degree when you can learn anything you want on the internet for free?

Because HR departments look specifically for degrees and you will not get an interview if you don't have one.

Because I can't put down "Sup Forums programming threads and youtube" for my education

Because even for the same jobs performed, the person with a degree will get paid more and be able to move up quicker than without a degree (if he got hired in the first place).

You're not clever, you didn't discover fire

This. Thousands of dollars and 4 years is still cheaper than learning it for free for 5 or 6 years by yourself. Time is free only when your time is worthless.
This is assuming that employers pay strictly based on knowledge and won't deduct salary because you don't have a certified degree.
So in reality you are pretty much retarded and throwing money away for not getting a degree in your field.

because evidence that you've learned anything in an unknown amount of time studying an undefined curriculum with no oversight from any form of human instructor is hard to establish.

people expect you to learn a lot more than you get from classes at university, but they expect that a degree from universities in certain degrees suffices to prove that you know certain basic concepts (and, if need be, you've proven that you can learn other concepts).

a lot of the autistic people that came out of university and had sour grapes about all the good it did for them (nothing) are generally upset that they did all their classes and turned in all their homework but nobody thrusted a good career in their arms at the end of 4 years. they were supposed to take some initiative in addition to taking courses, network with people, learn more than the curricula required, etc... which is why you see autistic people complaining that university is a waste.

the safest bet for improving your life has been and continues to be going to university. yes, you can do a bootcamp instead or you can drop out like bill gates (and like a thousand flunkies in his cohort whose names you've never heard) did. but your safest bet - the simple statistics of the matter - favor university.

if you play your cards even remotely correctly, you should earn back the thousands you paid for university and the trajectory of your career will far outpace whatever trajectory you would have been on if you'd just gone straight to work out of secondary school.

don't act stupid unless it's not an act. stop bringing in other shit.

getting a humanities degree and getting a STEM degree are very different. different enough that they're not both X. but asking why people get a degree in women's studies is deliberately throwing us off the obvious point of the thread. if i believed mods gave a shit about red herring trolls, i would report that post, but such is life.

as a total aside, i think that most of the people that do STEM or something like STEM (i.e. go straight to work after their bachelors) should have a totally different track than people that study something in the humanities for their undergrads (+ people that study in STEM fields with the hope to go to some postgrad program).

if you're studying outside of STEM, you basically need to go for a masters or a PhD. there's nothing wrong with that, but that means universities should be better preparing students for that application process. we can work out the supply/demand issue later; students in their undergrads outside of STEM are largely unaware that they need higher credentials than a BA.

even in STEM, students could benefit from a track that leads into jobs and a separate track that leads into masters and PhD programs. get those kids doing UROP and shit. it might even make them more aware of what proportion of their class is also gunning for very limited seats in postgrad programs.

>tfw gov pay me to get a degree

>living in a third world country

Simply knowing shit won't get you a job, academia provides opportunities to meet other people and form work relationships which has its benefits as in you being recommended for a job by your professor or other students who have required connections.

wrong. lol

Our greatest ally the merchant has told us we need to pay many shekels for a piece of paper as proof of competency.

How?

You can only learn properly on the internet with good pirated books and maybe openMOOCs, and both of those are made, oh, surprise! on universities

ignore people that just lob in a contradictory post like that without offering any counterpoint of their own. he hasn't even really made a claim, let alone offered any proof.

for all you know (and should care), he might have randomly clicked on a post, said "wrong. lol" and sat back to watch someone tug on that thread for the next hour or two.

seriously, don't engage with trolls. it might be hours of your life every day. if you value your time at all, don't engage.

wrong lol

This desu famalams

Although it ain't very much, it's better than paying a shitton for getting into somewhere.

Uni CS starting next month.

I get paid to study all the way through master's.

Wait, do you mean from start of BSc to end of MSc?

Yeah. I'll be starting my 5th year of BSc next month and applying for MSc next year.

>5th year of BSc
Did you do an industry year?

Nah, I just needed an extra year for credits because I blew last semester due to brain problems. Got my thesis done and everything.

>mfw my CS degree is a sham
>mfw I have no face

>brain problems
Go on

what field is your thesis in

Why is it a sham? Did you not go to a top 100 uni?

Long, stupid story. Got into internet argument, got yelled at, took my brain through stress, now recovering from it. Had to learn the hard way I'm a weak ass bitch. Now dealing with mild depression, seeing a psychologist, but I'm feeling pretty okay.

My thesis was about file sharing technologies which is a broad topic in itself. Covered torrents and stuff but also less technical things like digital distribution. Scored a 3, main complaint being it wasn't consistently technical. I'm happy with the grade.

Since you'll ask anyway, I'm studying international IT in Finland. Main focus on networking (Cisco) and that's also what my MSc will be about. I've been mostly happy with it, had some dumb courses over the years that kinda felt they had little to do with anything. Programming is my weak point and I'll have to learn more languages at some point but I'm looking to land a sysadmin position or something similar.

Claiming to be a medical doctor at trade because you learned everything via the internet isn't going to land you a job at a hospital. Like some others said what you look like on a resume is the 1st impression i.e. degrees and where you got them.

my comment became too long so here's a screenshot

Because:
Degree = Job
Learn from Internet = NEET WEEB

This

I like this posts, they tell truth

I liked first year because it opened my eyes to what I can do

I was disappointed of my second year, cozz I didn't learn anything new really, we learned many side things, that was ok I guess but not really helpful for getting a job, but I think it will come in handy getting a promotion once I get a job

Third year was fucking useless, all I learned I learned about people, how they act, how they don't know shit but brag like they know everything, but also learned that good communication is the key to any success

Fourth year is another waste of time, only thing you get from fourth year is that piece of paper that means a lot

And question for you, why not both? I try to learn as much as I can, I don't really have life, but I know a lot more then my peers

Credentials and lab equipment.

>lab equipment
This, enjoy a wet STEM degree without lab equipment worth hundreds of thousands of pounds

is the point of this to illustrate that you have really rich and nuanced thoughts about higher education best articulated by someone else through comic strip panels?

>got yelled at

Don't dox yourself when you berate people on the Internet, okay.

>Business management
Actually seems useful, law and business related shit are the useful non-STEM stuff

art imitating life

>the easier college gets, the dumber you look for not having a degree

That doesn't make any sense at all. If degrees become shit, they will just mean nothing for employers

meaning nothing and being a high pass filter to weed out total train wrecks are still two different things. if you can't even do the bare minimum and get into and through a mid-tier university, people will eye you like you're mentally handicapped.

Because clueless employers don't read resumes that don't mention a degree.

>Fourth year in the line of work
>Lead developer for ERP, consulting the do's and dont's from system architecture to coding principles
>no degree
Lucky I got him hooked and convinced before revealing the truth.

Because you would need papers saying that you have taken courses/classes or whatever to obtain this knowledge