/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
stallman.org/guantanamero.ogg
systemd-free.org/why.php
amazon.com/dp/B011KFQASE/)
segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/11/answering-controversy-stability-vs-security-is-something-you-configure/,
blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994
linuxmint.com/download_all.php
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.5.0 nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/
markshuttleworth.com/archives/1182
eff.org/de/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/DOCS/man/options.rst
httpredir.debian.org/debian
security.debian.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anyone running a diskless system?

Why are you asking?
It's a bit impractical, but if you want it quick and easy you can look up tails.

Are rolling release distros stable enough for personal desktop use if I update once a week and always read the devnotes before?

To those running a rolling release system, how many issues did you have, say per year, that needed fixing after the update to get back to a working system?

So let's see if I get the memes together:

Ubuntu: known for spyware, keyloggers, microsoft friendship

Mint: know to be insecure, got backdoor'd once, blocks updates

Fedora: NSA (memes?), RHEL testbed

Arch: kernel bloat, package bloat, systemd, bad community

Manjaro: known for incompetence, webdev forgot to update SSL twice, told users to turn back the system clock to fix the SSL issue

Is there something to add?
Is there any good distro out there?

>Arch: kernel bloat, package bloat, systemd, bad community
>Kernel Bloat
Compile your kernel then?
>Package bloat
False
>Systemd
Ebin meme
>Bad community
Picture related

If you're using Debian Sid, you can use apt-listbugs before updating. No idea if there's something simliar for other distros.

Debian, Arch, Fedora, OpenSUSE are all good.
Basically any well-maintained standalone distro is good. They all have their use cases, and all issues they have can be fixed.

I like Arch cause a distro is supposed to distribute software, not patch it to hell and back, which removes upstream support.

I can only talk about debian sid in this regard because the only other rolling release I used was arch for ~1 month so take it with a grain of salt.
I am running debian sid for a year now and the only bugs I encountered were deadbeef not starting for 3 hours before an update fixed it and a few dependency issues that I could avoid by just keeping a few packages back.
As long as you see bug notes (apt-listbugs), change notes (apt-listchanges), don't do stupid things like running multiple package managers or not reading/understanding what gets removed you will most likely be fine. Make sure to have backups and a live distro on hand in case something goes wrong.

I heard the spyware shit(Amazon) on Ubuntu was removed from default in Xenial

Arch has an RSS feed for updates that require intervention. I pull it with newsbeuter

>>Kernel Bloat
>Compile your kernel then?
Why even shipping the kernel with all modules enabled?

>>Package bloat
>False
Then tell me why Arch ships binaries AND sources together?

>>Systemd
>Ebin meme
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

>>Bad community
>Picture related
I guess not?

As frogeater, it's fun to listing to Richard talking french with american accent

>Why even shipping the kernel with all modules enabled?
Because most people don't have autism

>Then tell me why Arch ships binaries AND sources together?
And your point being? What gets installed?

Show me one relevant distro that doesn't have systemd

>Why even shipping the kernel with all modules enabled?
You can disable modules before running mkinitcpio

0/10

>Show me one relevant distro that doesn't have systemd
Argumentum ad populum; "Eat shit, millions of flies can't be wrong."

Afaik he also talks portuguese, pretty cool, I wish'd I'd know more languages too.

OpenRC is not even relevant enough to focus on

stallman.org/guantanamero.ogg

systemd-free.org/why.php

There is no Hz set. Is this not necessary anymore?
How does this work?

What's a good ftp client these days? I've been using FireFTP for years but it's been feeling a bit flaky lately. I've never liked Filezilla but that's the one everyone seems to recommend. Is there really nothing else that hasn't been left to rot for years? I prefer gooey, but I suppose cli is ok if it isn't a totally grotesque piece of shit.

If you actually care about every single one of those points you should probably install Gentoo. I wouldn't really recommend Gentoo but it's probably one of the few distros that won't trigger your autism.

You could also switch to BSD.

Using Linux Mint 18 on a Thinkpad T410. When I resume after suspend wifi card does not find any Wifi. I didn't had this problem with Mint 17.3 .
Is this a Ubuntu 16.04 issue? How can I prevent this?

guys i solved my issues with menus gVim (not having menus for plugins)
thank you all

How can I strip metadata with ffmpeg?

It's St IGNUcius.

sorry if I sound like a complete moron

I'm buying this laptop (amazon.com/dp/B011KFQASE/) for uni use and also some minor personal use

it comes preloaded with Windows 10 but I do not want that at all. While I was originally planning just to use 7 or 8.1, I thought since this would be the first computer I have that's truly mine and not a shared computer, and a brand new computer I would be intrigued by using Linux.

I've done some research on distros and it sounds like either Mint or Ubuntu would work the best for me.

Am I completely on point or would another distro be better?

I don't need tutorials, just thoughts on those two distros or if another one would be better for me.

Is there any way to assign a directory to an mtp device, sort of like a symlink?

Mint and Ubuntu are bad choices (insecure, spyware), since both are forks of Debian, why not just install Debian?

that's the consensus that I got when I came here
that all I read before was a crock of shit lel

If you really don't want to try another distro, choose the lesser evil: Ubuntu. Their politcs are cancer, but at least the spyware thing was removed, so it may just werk for you. I've read bad things about mint tho, segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/11/answering-controversy-stability-vs-security-is-something-you-configure/, it also got backdorred once blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994

I'm more than open to trying another distro. I haven't installed anything yet and just bought said laptop (hasn't came yet). So I'm starting completely fresh and open to whatever.

I wouldn't describe myself as a tech skilled individual, but I'm not computer illiterate and can follow and understand instructions.

Mint is easy, handholdy, and looks nice out of the box with Cinammon. Easy to get your feet wet with, but you really don't wanna use it for long. Their security and patching policy is not good. Mint is based on Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is easy and handholdy, offers many flavors (which all come with differrent desktop environments so you can pick the one you think is prettier). Easy to get your feet wet with, but has a really shitty philosophy and company behind it. Ubuntu is based on Debian.

You can use either of these if you feel like you're an absolute beginner and want to make things easy for yourself.

If you feel like you wouldn't be afraid of getting your hands a bit dirtier while learning, but still having a relatively easy experience, you're encouraged to jump right into Debian. Just know that most handholding will be gone by this point, and you'll be relying a lot on RTFM (read the fucking manual)

mint is based on debian now

Yer wrong, champ.
linuxmint.com/download_all.php

Only Betsy is based on Debian

Ayy, thanks for updating me.

>If you feel like you wouldn't be afraid of getting your hands a bit dirtier while learning, but still having a relatively easy experience, you're encouraged to jump right into Debian. Just know that most handholding will be gone by this point, and you'll be relying a lot on RTFM (read the fucking manual)
Yeah this might be what I end up doing.
I'm assuming there's fairly detailed set-up and installation guides online for Debian?

No. I suppose you can with most live cds but it's really impractical.

his french is pretty good for a burger

Debian has a TUI installer, you basically just boot and follow it.

Just use the long term releases. If there's a specific feature included in an update, go for it. Otherwise you're asking for instability.

Alright, sounds good. Thanks for the recommendation!

>Ubuntu: known for spyware, keyloggers, microsoft friendship
Where are people getting this? Yes they're working with Microsoft. The rest is bullshit.

LTS sucks, once the time is over, you need to reinstall your system and you basically have shitold packages all the time.
People should at least use dot-releases and update to the next dot, if rolling is too edgy.

Oh yeah. Debian is after all one of the big grandpas in the GNU/Linux world.

Some basic guidelines to get you started:

>There are actually three branches in Debian: Stable (which is right now at 8, codename 'Jessie'), Testing (which will become the next stable, 9, codename 'Stretch'), and Unstable (which is always codenamed 'Sid' - yeah, these are all Toy Story characters, it's a tradition - and it's the bleeding edge release).
>If you're a desktop user, what you probably want to do for ease of use is to do a netinstall of Debian Stable, and then when you're done upgrade it to Testing.
>Get the netinstall that includes non-free firmware to save yourself common beginner stumbles

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.5.0 nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/

>keylogger, spyware
The amazon lense was intigrated into the dash and sent every keystroke to ubuntus product search, in return you got amazon ads, horribly over http.

As long as you upgrade your packages before doing a dist upgrade you should be fine. I had problems back in the days of Ubuntu 8.04 but that was years ago.
Source: I've upgraded my server incrementally since 12.04.

I'm assuming it was packaged with unity. I've always downloaded the server iso and added xfce to it.

Then you should be fine.

Also, if you want, I could share my copypasta for partitioning if you like. Just reply to this post

Not him, but I'd like to read it.

kek, found Shuttleworth's statement

>We are not telling Amazon what you are searching for. Your anonymity is preserved because we handle the query on your behalf. Don’t trust us? Erm, we have root. You do trust us with your data already. You trust us not to screw up on your machine with every update. You trust Debian, and you trust a large swathe of the open source community. And most importantly, you trust us to address it when, being human, we err.

markshuttleworth.com/archives/1182

sure!

If I replace i3 with i3-gaps and set like 10px gaps, will I be able to use the entire gap as a drag area for resizing?

Sure, I'd love some critique of it as well. It's just how I do it, but always glad to make amends to it. It was originally for an SSD+HDD system where you want the system files to be on the SSD and use the HDD exclusively for storage, but it's easily adaptable to just SSD or just HDD.

--------------------
During install, choose to manually partition your drive
Clear the partition tables of any disks you want to clear by selecting and pressing enter
Make these partitions:
On your SSD
-100 MB EFI System Partition (if you're on UEFI)
-100 MB /boot partition with ext2 file system
-The rest of the free space on the SSD is assigned to an LVM physical volume (*** read below)

On your HDD
-Literally all of the free space on a single ext4 partition, which you can mount in a directory called /data or in /media/whatever, your choice

Proceed to configure LVM

-Create a volume group based on your LVM physical volume that you chose earlier. Name it myVG or whatever
-Create three logical volumes in said volume group
-30 GB volume for / (root) (name it myRoot or whatever)
-4GB or 8GB volume for swap (depends on how much RAM you have. some people prefer to not have a swap partition at all and just make it a file, that's fine too) (name it mySwap or whatever)
-the rest of free GB goes to /home (again, myHome or whatever)

Finish configuration of LVM

-When back on the partition screen, mark your myRoot Logical Volume as / (root) and ext4 file system
-mark your mySwap LV as swap
-mark your myHome LV as /home and ext4 filesystem

Continue with installation
When it's done, make "Documents", "Downloads", "Pictures", "Videos", etc folders in your /data (HDD) partition and symbolic link them to your /home ones, so stuff in those gets saved to your HDD and not your SSD.

Ta-da

(***) Oh, and if you want to encrypt your system, it just takes one extra step. Mark your free space in the SSD as crypto, not as LVM, configure LVM on LUKS, and also encrypt your HDD if you want. Done

>Your anonymity is preserved

>Technically, when you search for something in Dash, your computer makes a secure HTTPS connection to productsearch.ubuntu.com, sending along your search query and your IP address. If it returns Amazon products to display, your computer then insecurely loads the product images from Amazon's server over HTTP. This means that a passive eavesdropper, such as someone sharing a wireless network with you, will be able to get a good idea of what you're searching for on your own computer based on Amazon product images.

eff.org/de/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks

>100 years old infos

How do i add milliseconds using strftime? Following works fine, but i need to use milliseconds as well
%tY-%tm-%td-%wH:%wM:%wS

What is the quickest way to learn vim?

Type vimtutor into your terminal and set aside about 20 minutes of your time
Congratulations, now you know the basics of vim

Yep. Those are all memes.

Looks like scrots syntax, use date instead, drop the whole exec and move stuff.

scrot ~/.scrots/screenshot_"$(date +'%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N')".png

hello 9gag

drop the whole scrot stuff
import -window root ~/.scrots/screenshot_"$(date +'%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N')".png

drop the whole stuff
PrtScn

How do you get your desktop to look like this? Is it a theme or is it from scratch?

>DE
dropped

install a tiling wm, compton, pipes.sh, mpd+ncmpcpp, pacman, a bitmap font, revers image search the wallpaper

try %f

looks like awesomewm

You are good, sir, you bring honor, thank

Its for screenshots using mpv.
All it did was add the filename to the end

You could add frame timings, so the filename is different for every frame. Try this:
%tY%tm%td%tH%tM%tS_%wH%wM%wS%wT_%f

How do I upgrade to testing from stable on Debian?

> Working with Microsoft
> not being at best strongarmed into putting spyware in

It is just changing a line of text in your sources.list file

>Open up your terminal
>sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list (you can use any text editor you like, even GUI-based, I just chose nano as an example
>Change every instance of 'jessie' to 'testing'
>Save (in nano, CTRL+X, confirm with yes)
>sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Note:
You only want to use apt-get for upgrading branches. For everything else, use aptitude.
If you don't have sudo configured yet, then:

>Open terminal
>su
>Enter admin password you assigned in install
>visudo
>Scroll down to where it says User Privilege Specification, and beneath root add your own username with ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
>Save

>%P

>Similar to %p, but extended with the playback time in milliseconds. It is formatted as "HH:MM:SS.mmm", with "mmm" being the millisecond part of the playback time.

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/DOCS/man/options.rst

is there a way to use Gnome3 with another window manager?
Infinite virtual desktops seems kinda nice to me, but those windows are ugly as hell and too bright for my taste.
Alternatively: is there another window manager/DE with infinite desktops?

Should look like this:

# OFFICIAL DEBIAN REPOS

## Debian Main Repos

deb httpredir.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb-src httpredir.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

deb security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free

deb httpredir.debian.org/debian testing-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src httpredir.debian.org/debian testing-updates main contrib non-free

The lines with # are obviously commented. You can remove the CD ISO ones that appear by default on top harmlessly.
I added httpredir instead of a mirror because httpredir redirects you to the fastest and most complete mirror in your case. It's pretty handy.

>contrib
>non-free

You made yer choice and I made mine friendo. That's the beauty of Debian

looks alright, but nonfree isn't an official debian repo tho

By Official I mean "listed in their wiki and site". I know it's not 'official official'

By Unofficial I mean stuff like the multimedia repo and all that.

dd if=(linux ISO) of=/dev/(flash drive)

> boots to 'test media or just go to livecd'
> select either
> black screen with underscore in topleft corner
> leave that all night
> stays that way

I'm running dd with && sync right now. I hope that works.

> choosing to not be free
> choosing

You keep weeping, Mr. Stallman, I'll keep being happy and having fun

Did you unmount the flash drive before you did that?

Well, luckily on Debian you can choose, unlike Arch..

>dd && sync
uuuhhhhh

It's always a good idea to check if= and of= twice before hitting return.

It said it wasn't mounted when I ran umount.

I formatted it to a blank GPT before running dd. I don't see how that would affect things negatively but I did.

I always check if and of very carefully since an incident earlier this year where I overwrote my own hard drive with zeroes and lost all my data.

Unless I'm so unbelievably retarded that if means 'thing getting written to' and of means 'thing written from' and I got it backwards.

I put a full install of debian on a USB stick once. It works fine, I don't know why I'd use it though.

Isn't Debian old? Is it really better than Ubuntu??

what's good media player for linux mint?
vlc sucks:
>horrible UI
>horrible navigation, jumps too much
>can't click video to pause
>doesn't play/skip all video formats, "file corrupt" when it isn't

Debian Stable has old packages, precisely for stability. It is mostly used in servers.

Debian Testing has pretty new packages, and a balance between stable and new

Debian Sid has extremely new packages all the time, and still stable for Debian's standards

Ubuntu is based on Debian Sid (And then they proceed to fuck it up)

>still stable for Debian's standards
debian sid is broken as fuck
if you update your whole system to sid, something is always broken

Hey guys, Hiroshima put a new feature in Sup Forums where if you post your root password it replaces it with stars. Watch:

butthurt archkid detected