/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/1MORE-Piston-Classic-Headphones-Space/dp/B01FNAYRSM
massdrop.com/buy/tfz-series-3-iem
massdrop.com/buy/fanmusic-e6
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Headphones
pastebin.com/CCQCUv5e
superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/superbaf-hd800-mod-formerly-btamod.254/
superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/hd800-french-mod-aka-superdupont-resonator.1147/
penonaudio.com/TFZ-SERIES-3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Under £500 god mode.

Are M-Audio HDH50 headphones considered audiophile Sup Forumsood?

Looking for headphones with detachable cables and under 200$

Sup

Should've added more to my post

Looking for decent headphones under 200$
Needs to be closed
Needs to have detachable cables
Needs to have no major flaws
Will use it primarily with the computer

M-Audio HDH50 headphones seem to fit those criteria, however there could be something that I don't know about that is a dealbreaker.

Are there any problems with my possible choice in headphones

The cord that runs from my audio out to my headphones' L and R plugs is fucked. Can you guys recommend a cable that is really durable but comfortable? For a while I used the Sony MDR-XB500 with flat cables and they were never damaged in the several years I used them. I'm currently using the NVX XPT100 and the cables tore in only half a year of use

how does akg k240 mkii compare to fostex t50rp mk3?
they're both semi open, from what i understand.

I'm looking to get a new pair of in-ears. I don't want to spend more than $50; as these are just to wear around and I don't need endgame sound. I have a few that I just recently found. Would anyone recommend these? Please recommend me something else if you don't like what I've picked out. Thank you.

>1MORE Piston Classic In-Ear Headphones
amazon.com/1MORE-Piston-Classic-Headphones-Space/dp/B01FNAYRSM
>TFZ Series 3 IEM
massdrop.com/buy/tfz-series-3-iem
>Fanmusic E6
massdrop.com/buy/fanmusic-e6

Why are the OP of these threads so retarded, it should just contain the links and nothing else like a proper general.

Haven't heard the M-Audios myself but the Shure SRH840 are quite good.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Thanks will give that a look if the M-Audio headphones don't work for my tastes

Got the info on the M-Audio headphones on
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Headphones

Which contains a pastebin to a buying guide
pastebin.com/CCQCUv5e

Fuck, I just realized there's no point in speakers unless you have A LOT of money. Really headphones provide amazing fidelity for the price.

Is that the AKG K702 and the Fiio E10K?
If so, is it any good? I'm thinking of getting the same setup

Some autists insist on "rules" which aren't agreed on. Others are too lazy to just remove those bits from the OP.

>Fuck, I just realized there's no point in speakers unless you have A LOT of money. Really headphones provide amazing fidelity for the price
That's dumb. Both have their uses and neither have to cost a lot.

>Is that the AKG K702 and the Fiio E10K?
Yed
> If so, is it any good? I'm thinking of getting the same setup
Yes it's very good. What music do you listen to?

A range of things
Radiohead to MF DOOM

It's a great setup but not the best for hip hop and rap. They're very detailed but sound very thin.

Yeah but the problem is room acoustics. There's no getting around it, room treatment is fucking expensive and if you don't have it your frequency response is all over the place.

K702 shines on acoustic music, but, as you can see from my template, I like listening to different music genres. So far I haven't found a single music genre that sounds disappointing on my setup. Keep in mind that you will probably have to adjust the volume of E10K some times in order to find the right volume level, but don't worry, once you do, the K702 will reward you in a special way.

Coming from se-215 iems. Wasnt impressed with the quality and theyve recently kicked the bucket, so Im looking for a replacement pair. Definitely upgrading, I want something to suck me in Everytime Im listening.

So to do this, Isolating anything that isnt the music is one of my top priorities. My 215s did not have enough isolation, ill definitely need more. Ive been looking at the customart music ones. From reviews Ive read though, it seems that its overkill on the isolation and lackluster in music quality for the price. I listen to a lot of chill warmer stuff like Nujabes, saib, joji, and James Blake. So that mid range is very important (and that area being the strength of the custom ones is what drew me in.)

Any recommendations on mid-foward iems with great isolation? My budget is up to $300, although flexible.

I recently bought two KZ ATEs. Chinese made and only costed me 23€ for the two pairs. Check them see if you like the design. In terms of sound. They are very good. I know a bunch of much higher priced in ears that are shit in comparison. Had them for about 3 months and neither me or my friend have anything to dislike about them. The design is okay if you don't mind sports type in ears, the end of the cable on the earbud side is thickened and retains shape so they stand rather solidly around your ear while remaining discreet. Sound is balanced, with no eqing you'll have decent bass, no screaming highs, quite clear mids. They also sound very very wide. For 10 to 12$ a piece the value for money is retarded.
I can't say about 5 or 10 months from now but i'm confident.

Why don't you just order some new wire from Monoprice or Lunashops or something?

That's because we have idiots changing the OP to include nonsense and people who just copypaste the previous OP.

It's useless clutter, more so than the guides we don't link directly in the OP anymore.

IIRC K240mk2 had a fair bit of upper bass boost around 150 Hz roughly. I think there were some little treble spikes, but otherwise fairly level midrange. Memory is a little hazy.

T50rp mk3 bandwidth is not good, it's rolled off at both ends, upper mid recessed and such.

I'd suggest the K240 mk2.

It's not that big of a deal. Near field listening especially is dominated by the first wave/on axis response and reflections aren't a huge problem. Properly designed loudspeakers with wide directivity and some DSP gets you far and help a lot in acoustically challenging environments. Room treatment isn't all that expensive either but a hassle/inconvenience in living quarters, sometimes an eye sore too.

Thanks :). Where did you buy yours? I found them on Amazon for $11.76, and on Aliexpress for $7.99. Is it safer to buy from Amazon?

>having used and damaged goods as waifu

There are tons of higher priced in-ears that are just poor, so statements such as worth 10x or 100x the price are just a load of bull.
There are so many hundreds of earphones, way too many for any one person to try. Saying value for money is a statement that has little if any meaning. At best, it has favorable traits over some select popular models.

I have to wonder if you are a crazy basshead and don't realize it, but that's another thing entirely.

>room treatment is fucking expensive
If you want to hit the low end modes, metal panel traps quickly add up to thousands of dollars.
Mercifully, this part of room acoustics can be treated by subwoofer array and/or EQ(unlike the rest of the spectrum).

Broadband acoustic traps are easier to build or purchase, and clean up mid and upper frequencies.

>tfw HD 800
You don't know what your missing.

>You don't know what your missing.
peaky treble, recessed upper midrange, muffled tone

:^)

Ah more poor fag's tears to fill my cup.

The headphones are neutral. Now, only the music to blame.

Women are, objectively, the most beautiful when seen from below.
>tfw not 3' tall

>your

>The headphones are neutral.
My fucking sides.

In what world are the HD 800s neutral?

What does Sup Forums think of the hyperx clouds and cloud 2s for all my gayming?

The real one.

Read the fucking sticky. It'll tell you to read the fucking wiki. It'll tell you that you suck and we hate you.

Are Sennheiser Game zero considered "high-end" audiophile level of headphones?

Your reality is warped.

Sup Forums unanimously agrees that they are tip top cans

Neither of those terms have much correlation at all with sound. They wouldn't be marketed as high end and likely fall quite a bit short of Sennheiser's own open back headphones in that price range. Short answer: no.

Can you elaborate a little more on the SE215?

>overkill isolation
That's very hard to achieve. If you could get a tight fit on the 215 with foam ear tips, that would already be pretty high on the isolation chain.

>mid-foward iems with great isolation
Ety ER-4P/Music One could fit, but this is why we'd like to hear more what you thought of the SE215, to get a hint if it is suited to you

>poor fags
>not HD 800S

k

>Distorted bass
It's an extra $400 ignorance fee

Have you heard of the custom art music one? They're CIEMs so you're going to get top notch isolation and they're only ~$200. Haven't auditioned them personally so I'm not too sure about the sound, but I've heard good things.

I'm dumb didn't read your whole post pls ignore

>Budget 200 USD
>Location USA
>Source PC
>Preferred type of headphone Full Sized
>Open or closed Closed
>Comfort level High
>Preferred tonal balance Neutral/some bass
>Past headphones DT 770 ATH M20

Bizarro world.
One of the very few non-shit gaymen headsets.
The ER-4P are exact opposites from the SE215, I'd imagine him having a hard time getting used to the Ety sound.
What's wrong with DT770? Try DT250 80 ohm.

The DT770s i had just gave out on me after 2 years of very intense use. They were great headphones overall but I want something with a replaceable cable this time.

>tfw 600's are my end game.

I'd love to try the hd800's but I could never pay that price and I hate the look of them physically..

I'm not going to mock them like everyone else since I've never tried them.but i'm happy that you enjoy them user.

>Budget
up to $300

>Source
willing to spend ~$250 for amp/dac setup

>Preferred type of headphone
Open, above average soundstage, good instrument separation, no muddiness

>Comfort level
Good

>Preferred tonal balance
Warm side of neutral

>stupid anime image
>"wireless is frowned upon"
>"headset requests are frowned upon"

Your thread sucks

Damn user. I'm sorry. I was just excited about my new purchase and wanted to brag to feel better about myself.

I don't have much reason to care about looks, but the HD 800 are quite comfy. Enjoy your HD 600s.

What is the absolute cheapest headphones you would recommend purchasing? Assume no other stipulations, just the absolute most bottom-of-the-barrel that you wouldn't consider a waste of money. This is purely for curiosity's sake.

Had this set up myself, it's good but I switched to uber versions of the modi 2 and magni 2. they sound cleaner with more open bass, however they are a bit more expensive than the O2.

I just have to know. I'm guessing you owned the 600's before the 800's.

Do you think the 600s sound like mud compared to the 800's?

Nah man. I had the AKG 702 and the M50s before.

HD 800s are way better than 702, which i like much more than the M50.

I don't know about the 600s, but I heard they are very good. People say they'd cost more if not for the build quality.

>Do you think the 600s sound like mud compared to the 800's?

Not him, I have both.

Comfort? HD800 wins.
Build quality? HD800 wins.
Ergonomics? HD800 wins.
Sound quality? HD600 wins.

Sound differences between both are due to the frequency response. HD800 sounds like it has more bass, recessed upper midrange and more treble.

HD800's bass difference isn't because the driver extends better, it's due to the frequency response being recessed in the upper midrange so the bass feels perceptibly stronger as a result.

HD800 also has a peak at 6kHz which makes it sound bright and sibilant at times.

Clarity is better on the HD600, note that clarity != treble quantity.

HD800 sounds more distant, I'm guessing this is due to the recession in the upper midrange.

HD800 gets 90% of my head time because of the comfort, but the stock sound signature is really shit.

My first real headphones were the 702's also. They're very detailed and have great soundstage but they sound thin and harsh compared to the 600's. Listening to music and watching films just sounds 'right' on the 600's.

If the K702 sounds thin compared to a HD600 then it didn't seal well on your head. K702 has more bass than the HD600. Too much that creeps into the lower midrange, not really a fan of that.

>if not for the build quality
kek
very true, they are cheap but they won't fall apart like some chink phones. I.E. Hifiman

So.. the hd600 is clearly better as an actual headphone? especially in terms of price

Purely on sound quality? It's better.

It loses on everything else.

I've been spoiled by the HD800. 3rd time owning it, btw.

>Budget
Up to 60USD
>Location
West Coast America
>Source
Samsung S6, or any phone I get in the future
>Preferred type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
Medium
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral or Warm
>Past headphones
Just a bunch of shitty $20 IEMs

tfz series 3

If the 600 actually sounds better how can you even own the 800 at that price?

I'm all for build quality and I know the 600 is a bit plasticy...but. The price difference is insane especially if the 800 sounds worse than the 600

the 600 are still more comfortable than most, you can wear it all day without any trouble

What did you use as your amp for the 600s? Are you using a different one with the 800s?

they're HD558's with a mic, overprised but good. not high end though

don't own the 800s but the 600s sound great with the modi and magni 2 uber

Is 600 vs 800 the new threadly argument?

How's the QC situation on the X2's right now? Still shady or are most of the bad ones gone away?

Well it's better than seeing the arguments against the clearly inferior 702 time after time.

What about Snapheiser vs Beyersremorse?

They finally came in, time to sell my M50's

I paid 1000 USD for it (no tax) on amazon.

The HD600's build quality isn't bad per se but the HD800 outclasses it if you heavily value build quality or you treat your headphones like shit (letting them fall, etc.).

The HD600 is very comfortable, but the HD800 is even more so.

I'm using the Objective2 with both. I don't buy into the high end amps meme.

>I'd imagine him having a hard time getting used to the Ety sound.
Also said that he didn't like the 215, which leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

"Sound quality" described thus far, the magnitude response or the sensitivity, is a trivial issue.

But the 800 costs around four times more than an already expensive hd600. If it doesn't sound better then it doesn't make any sense. Who the fuck would pay x4 times more for better build quality?

A three dollar SmithGear is better than nothing.

DarkVoice 336SE vs LittleDot MKIII

It is better, but not in way that has been mentioned so far. /hpg/ has a obsession with frequency response of the headphone, but this is not directly important, even if the response issue dominates quality perception.
Parametric EQ and convolution can create any sort of response on any set of headphones.

The 800 can sound way better than the 600 with the right mods.

However, you must realize that diminishing returns are crazy in high end headphone world. After around the $300 level, you're just paying for an extra 4-5% increase in sound quality. At that level, people just buy headphones/amps/etc according to pure personal preference.

>However, you must realize that diminishing returns are crazy in high end headphone world. After around the $300 level, you're just paying for an extra 4-5% increase in sound quality. At that level, people just buy headphones/amps/etc according to pure personal preference.

To be fair I already understand that. My 600's sound brilliant but ,
my o2+odac is only just better than the £50 usb sabre dac I used previously.

I understand that any improvement is gold at this point but that other guy said that the 600 actually sounds better than the 800.

I own the K240. (The Studio, not the MK2, but I think they're the same driver.) Sound-wise, I doubt they're even remotely similar-- the T50RP would wipe the floor with the AKG.

Tonally, the AKG is kind of a mess, and in fact I never use it for music (TV only.)

However, the K240 is literally the most comfortable full-size headphone I have ever experienced (especially once you change the pads-- I use DT770 pads.) The headband system on the K240 is genius, and the K240 is so light it barely feels like anything is on your head.

I would recommend the K240, especially with a pad mod, but I wouldn't recommend it as an only headphone and I wouldn't really recommend it for music.

The bass muddled every thing and nothing was crisp. When I put on my open headphones (HFI-2400) I could get the full body of the layered music. Se215 suppresses the treble, and it's only strength is the bass, at the sacrifice of the mids.

Also I used the small foam tips and they were close to what I wanted. Something more would be nice tho.

How is the HD800 better than the HD600? I await your response.

What mods? Most of the early mods made the HD800 sound really muddy by boosting the midbass and lower midrange relative to the rest of the spectrum.

Massdrop is selling those right now. Should I get them off of there or some chink site?

Depends on how long you want to wait. Massdrop's shipping method is really shit.

Check these out:

superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/superbaf-hd800-mod-formerly-btamod.254/

superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/hd800-french-mod-aka-superdupont-resonator.1147/

I agree, I don't want to wait until Sept 6th to get these. Is this a reputable site to buy from?
penonaudio.com/TFZ-SERIES-3

idk m8 looks fine to me

Alright, thanks man :)

this much respect in a thread<
feelsfriendlyman

>tfw end game reached

More linearity and more consistent response.

As for the HD800, they've made their way to attempting earpad modification now. The resonator/French mod has only a little impact.

Are you 15?

how'd you get such a price? was it used by a leper that never took a shower or something?

>More linearity and more consistent response.
Not like the HD600 or HD650 has problems with consistency and by consistency you're referring to sealing and bass leakage right?

By linearity you're referring to the distortion or frequency response. Either way the distortion on both are at acceptable levels and the FR on the HD600 is superior to the HD800's.

I find it funny how vanilla HD800 owners negatively portrait the HD800S' distortion levels, not that it matters in listening, it's just dick waving at this point.

Mercy is worst girl you pleb.

Widowmaker is where it's at.

Whoops, meant tracer is worst girl.

But Mercy is shit too.

>consistency you're referring to sealing and bass leakage right
Partially.
It refers to reseat and reposition changes, leakage and cavity modes. The latter is the more serious issue for most open backed headphones.
Linearity does not refer directly to frequency response. However, frequency response is necessarily a linear property; it is not possible to define a frequency response without linearity;

>the FR on the HD600 is superior to the HD800's.
Pretty irrelevant. They have about the same number of bad points.

>vanilla HD800 owners
I own the HD 600. As for the difference, it's small.