What do you guys do with virtual machines? I want an excuse to actually use one

What do you guys do with virtual machines? I want an excuse to actually use one.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
youtube.com/watch?v=W9DST-6jIBU
security.stackexchange.com/questions/3056/how-secure-are-virtual-machines-really-false-sense-of-security
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Test out Linux distros and learn how to compile systems before going balls deep on my laptops.

Also gaymes in windows XD

Great! I would like to use it also to test out Linux distros.

A host of boring and experimental stuff. The boring stuff ties into a MAN (direct wireless link) and some of the guests have services that replicate with another location a few miles across town. And then one server in the back of a mobile trailer which connects in via WAN, also utilizing replication.

Run software from dodgy sources.

At home: Nothing
At work: Server compartmentalization (but we mostly use LXC and not actual VMs)

Ah I see, cool.

Trying arch Linux without making everything explode

Like what?

Should I do this before slapping arch on my computer?

LOL

Bonzi Buddy and PC Optimizer Pro.

Why?

I VM windows within Linux for muh games

I host virtualized small servers for testing things, and as I still use windows I have a few as I narrow down the linux choices in preparation to change over.

pruddy much this. It's where I run Office, etc.

If I had a physical server sitting at home, I would use it to split it up into servers for different applications, like database server, application/web server, firewall, DNS, etc.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

True that seems good. If I ever get a very powerful machine that could handle all of this i'll keep it in mind.

>Dodgy
>Office
What?

1. Windows VM for Excel
2. Arch VM for vanilla package compiling and testing
3. FreeBSD VM so I can pretend I am l337 while I am not

How does it run? Pretty sure it wouldn't run a lot of things at good frame rates, if at all.

Haha not bad. I might set up a Manjaro VM just to see what it is like.

It's actually useful. If you have a tested compilation experience you can do the same with your main OS.

I try out OS's other than the two I'm using on my laptop right now, always on the lookout for the next distro I'll hop to.

I also have an El Capitan VM on the Win7 side of my laptop, just because I wanted to see if I could do it.

What do you mean?

Yea that is what I want to do, I got Ubuntu but I don't know if it's my favorite OS ever, I found myself going back to Windows 10.
I want to keep trying others, I think Manjaro is going to be my next.

How does OS X run within a VM?

Sometimes when you do projects like compiling pulseaudio server, or seafile server or compiling own kernel you should test it in a VM to be safe. Arch being vanilla makes the job easy

Oh ok I understand, I never do these things though. If I ever want to try out Arch then i'll test it out in a VM.

I use it to install operating systems for other computers. Create a raw image of the target disk and load it up with the install iso within the VM. Goes faster and gives you copy/paste and internet troubleshooting capabilities too.

Why don't you just install it normally?

Vagrant.

I use one VM for each project.

What does Vagrant do?

If I don't feel like restarting my computer, I sometimes use it for shit that just doesn't exist on linux, like tax programs and stuff.

Ah cool haha

I haven't done much at all with it, to tell you the truth. Last I used it (well over a month ago) I think the tutorial I was using said I needed to download a program within the VM to make it run smoothly (It was rather choppy just after getting it to actually open), so I'm guessing it's possible to get it running nicely - I just haven't yet.

I see no point in running OS X though. I can see why it's choppy, much more resource intensive than Linux.

take screenshots of my distro and post them on Sup Forums for approval

Run RedHat so that I can utilize Snort in my home network. I also use Kali in a VM when I want to do pentesting.

Hackintoshes are a mixed bag, but my VM one ran decently fine.
In its own way it's fun to mess around with and see what all the hype and hate is about.

Meh, not the biggest fan of OS X personally, it's alright and I can use it but I like Windows better.

My laptop would have no issue running it outside of a VM, if we're just talking about specs. Again, I had just reached the point of "actually loads" and hadn't done the other things the tutorial suggested to make it usable. Probably won't use OSX as my main OS, but I'm still curious to know how it functions.

Browsing shady websites.

How does that help?

Are you always dumb? Or is it only when mommy lets you get on the computer?

youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI

Literally vidya because it's the only thing Linux can't do (yet)

so i can use my old usb scanner which only has 32bit drivers.

test iffy software downloaded off the net

Nigga we have seen this plenty of times.

I run a Linux VM with locked-down security settings and a VPN service for most of my web browsing. This lets me browse through the VPN while keeping other things on my regular internet connection.

That's exactly my point. It's common knowledge. You can game in a VM at about 95% of what you could on a native boot. Why ask the stupid question?

Well because a lot of people won't do that, they might use VMWare Workstation or VirtualBox or some shit, and that would give iffy performance.

Never really researched it, but how does one set that up?

>>Never really researched it, but how does one set that up?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

This is precisely what I do, it's fucking awesome

windows 10

Same.
But at least I can discuss pros vs. cons while being fairly informed without the cost of an Apple, unlike a lot of fans or detractors of things.

Develop kernel mode drivers. Instead of error messages, you get BSODs. Much easier to restore a snapshot of right before you BSOD'd then to restart your entire pc.

pretty much this

>True that seems good. If I ever get a very powerful machine that could handle all of this i'll keep it in mind.
You can over-provision no problem, well it's a problem if everything tries to go 100% at once, if it's purely hobby that won't really happen.

>he doesnt have virtual machines
laughingsluts.tif

>be safe
>while compiling
wut

He was referring to the possibility of fucking shit up

Shitpost

>fucking shit up
>while compiling
wut

>He never set wrong flags while compiling
Are you one of those wiki babies?

>compiling
>some how breaking a system

I run a VM for the sole purpose of VPN'ing into client networks so as to not lock down my machine from local resources or have my local web traffic routed through the VPN.

I also run an XPenology server.

I used to run a Domain Controller but that wasn't a good idea.

Any OS/platform I may need to do development in (e.g. Hackintosh)

Spool up VM's for automated builds and deployments.

Not breaking the system retard, obviously you don't compile just one thing for a project. If one think fucks up that means the whole project is a potential fail. Unless you go and hunt for config files

I'm gonna take the bait and assume you're serious.

He may be referring to testing kernels and shit that he himself compiled.

>testing kernels
that isnt compiling

>i dont know what makefiles are

>I dont know how to configure local routing tables
>i dont know what a split tunnel VPN is

At work we're working towards deploying Windows 10 LTSB to all workstations so I and a few others have Win10 VMs joined to the domain for testing.

At home I mainly just fuck around with Linux distros in VMs in an effort to git gud (am still bad, no bully pls, etc) and I run a MineOS VM on the same machine I play Minecraft on in the hopes that somebody I know might someday give a fuck about Minecraft

Yeah, makefiles is totally going to save you from driver conflicts amirite
Fuck off

>maybe if i wait 40 minutes user will have abandoned the thread and i wont continue to get btfo

>driver conflicts
>while compiling

they're a pain to set up, test, and troubleshoot is what they are. A VM works and is easy.

youtube.com/watch?v=W9DST-6jIBU
this is why

>Implying I don't have things to do

>Compile kernel with grsec patch
>Suddenly broadcom doesn't work
>Implying you patched your kernel before

Also
>wont continue to get btfo
hahaha what a delusional retard. How's being this new treating you, fucking leteral macfaggot?

>I dont understand the different between compiling something and running it.
strawman more

>Wow I compiled and it doesn't mean I'll run it, I'll just keep it as it is
Fucking moron get out

Ew why?

butthurt confirmed

Oh shit yea, how possible is it for a virus to leak through?

>Pretends to know shit
>"I'll compile it, but won't use it"
>Get BTFO
>"Lol he butthurt XDDD"

You are not even worth my shitpost time

MineOS? Also no worries I sort of suck at Linux as well, even though I was able to rice my Ubuntu dual-boot install, honestly I am a windows guy.

Quick question: How can I get my hands on LTSB? And is it worth installing?

Not possible AFAIK

God yes. If you're seriously ask, try everything out in a Virtualbox before ever installing it on your computer. You need to learn if you're really going to use this shit before you commit to dualbooting or even wiping windows entirely.

If you don't, what you end up with is me. Having to sit with my computer when I turn it on, because GRUB boots to Linux by default and I'm too stupid to

A) Change that
B) Wipe Linux off my computer and restore the windows boot loader

I wish my i5, 16GB of RAM and 970 could handle all of that.

I have a few VMWare Workstation 12 keys, I can hop on whenever I want.

Well I heard that it's possible. I want to do it, like shit it would be fun to destroy a VM but I kinda don't want to risk it at the same time.

go for it user, this fucker has done 4-5 of these and none leaked through

Is it possible? Yes. It's called a VM escape.
Is it likely? No. VM escapes are scarce and very hard to use, garden variety malware will not feature them. Some malware actually shuts itself down if it thinks its in a VM, because typical users don't run them - it figures that if its in a VM, it's being analyzed by a security researcher.

Joel? Well I'll do it for the fuck of it, what can I do?

do it for papa jobel
also record that shit bby

Ah I see. So I shouldn't be worried then?
Also out of curiosity is it common for the malware to shut it's self down?

not that user but as he said it's like getting struck by lightning. Pretty unusual and has a 1/1000000 chance but you can still get fukt. Pajeets can't code vm malware tho

I would record but my Shadow Play was acting up last time I tried, I also thing that I would get boring so I would like to have someone with me.

Yea it can still happen, which can be bad if it actually does.

I know, destroying a 10+ year old version of windows is just depressing if done alone. Get a friend or use it for educational purposes, show your family how shitty it can get if they are careless

>>Also out of curiosity is it common for the malware to shut it's self down?
Most doesn't, as far as I know, but its something you wouldn't be very surprised to see. I think some cryptolockers do it.

If you're just fucking around you don't have to worry about malware escaping a VM. Governments have to worry about that kind of malware. As do cloud providers and companies that people will go to great lengths to attack (banks and such) VM escapes are the kind of things you find in the Stuxnets of the world, not the things you get from clicking ads.

>Stuxnets
What do you mean by this? But yea your right.

Yea it can get somewhat lonely, need some company.

security.stackexchange.com/questions/3056/how-secure-are-virtual-machines-really-false-sense-of-security