He fell for the useless flashy RAM heatspreader meme

>he fell for the useless flashy RAM heatspreader meme

tell me you guys didn't fall for this.

It was the cheapest thing on PCpartpicker at the time. I'm sorry.

I did.

It was on sale, aka it was cheaper than ram without the heatspreader and operated at a higher frequency.

But ram for servers use heat spreaders user, surely they do not use it for cosmetic reasons.

I regret nothing.

just bought 8 of these suckers

>not using new Vengeance LED product line of DDR4 RAM modules, which features high clock speeds and LED lighting.
>git good

they were cheap and looked alright, I'm sorry

got these exact ones. well guess what, all that shit that's stuck on those particular modules sticks out far less than some others. and they were good latency rated and fairly cheap

real g.skill nigas unite. other ram fags kys now

>just bought 8 of these suckers
Same. Actually only got 4 of them. But yeah.

I'd be impressed if you got the exact same model as me (Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Single)

I have some tiny ass heatspreaders on my current RAM, but if I ever upgrade I'm gonna go for something like this.

>not buying the cheapest on the market because Sup Forums

>he didn't fall for the corsair meme

You mean you're gonna go for ECC RAM ?

That's what I mean, yes.

>16gb gskill aria ram 80$ on trademe
>16gb value ram 120$ on pb tech
I dont regret my decision

Okay, just making sure.

Dominators are shit, because you have to waste another $29 to get the leds working.

Vengeance on the other hand is solid, will buy for my next rig.

I bought gskill ares ram. It was cheap and way less flashy than the ones that look like they have mohawks

As it happens the Ripjaws V combo was pretty much the cheapest I could get 16GB of DDR4 RAM for when I was pinching every penny I could putting my new build together. Only alternative were some slower no-name sticks with shitty LEDs, and you couldn't even choose what color LEDs they shipped you.

I can't really upgrade with non-ECC modules since non-ECC only goes up to 8GB per module and I ain't got more than 4 slots.

You might want to make sure your shit actually supports ECC modules.
It most likely doesn't unless you're on some workstation shit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that all mainboards “support” ECC memory - the extra bits in your bus just get wasted if your CPU/chipset aren't capable of performing error correction.

That said, you should look into what the maximum memory size per module of your CPU/RAM are.

I use a LGA-2011-3 Xeon so it supports ECC memory, unless something is broken on it in a weirdly specific way.
The theoretical memory limit on it should be 768GB, but I ain't got a spec sheet.

>The theoretical memory limit on it should be 768GB, but I ain't got a spec sheet.
ark.intel.com

And you should have a spec sheet for your mainboard (I meant to write CPU/MB, not CPU/RAM), because it also has a limit

Note: I'm talking about limits per slot, not limits total

My Athlon II does support it and it runs perfectly.

AMD generally does support ECC, both buffered and unbuffered, depending on the mobo.

$36 (canadian dollerydoos) a few weeks ago

8gb ddr4 2133.

How did I do?

I got 16gb of the 2400mhz for like $60 and it ended up overclocking to 3000mhz.
I'd really recommend it.

Very bad. They don't even have leds.
Why even buy RAM if it's ugly?

>he thinks 2133MHz DDR4 is 'good enough'

LOL

>military class
>looks like a school disco

i guess you're flamingly homosexual

It's not on ARK because it's a pre-production processor. It doesn't even have a "model", eg E5-2698 V4.

The motherboard has no meaningful limit specified anywhere. It allegedly supports 64GB of memory, that's 16GB per slot but the manufacturer has literally tested it with 128GB of memory and lists the modules as compatible (so 32GB ECC sticks). What the fuck, right?

I'm in uncharted territory with my hardware.

Those LEDs look like shit, and must make cooling the ram less efficient. 0/10.

Also that shit setup wouldnt support my Hyper 212 Evo

>using air cooling
>calling anyone else shit

What's being poor like?

Man, I got the "blue" one cause was cheaper. TO my dissappointment, it's more like Teal Blue rather than true LED blue - it's offputting.

Still good though, even in sleep it pulses. Light up the room.

What's the best place to buy cheap, non-flashy (but with decent specs) RAM?

Wait a fucking minute regular Athlon IIs can do ECC?

no doubt you're into gaudy flourescent liquid cooling setups that take 10x longer to install, cost more and don't even beat a 212 evo performance. a cooler that is like $30 and takes a few minutes to install.

proceed to end your existence

unbuffered and unregistered

Yes. And Phenom II too. And FX too. Basically any AMD supports ECC. But check the boards before you use them, some boards don't support ECC.

Same place you buy expensive flashy RAM

Lies. It does support buffered, but not registered. Sadly buffered unregistered modules are almost non-existent.

>unregistered
Oh worthless to me, then.

Not gonna lie I bought my 16gb dominator platinums for $200 when I could've gotten some 32gb ugly ram for the same price.

Don't regret it one bit. Having ugly ram is like having a huge ripe pimple on your forehead.

Why is unregistered ECC worthless to you? Isn't registered vs unregistered just about the capacity?