C++ Books

What's the best book to learn C++?

First time programmer? Usually the best book is the original one written by the author of the language themselves.

Seasoned programmer? Not that you'd be asking this question if that were the case, but a language specification doc on the order of 50 to 100 pages would be where'd I go.

I like the way Stephen Prata writes his stuff, mainly because I find these things complicated so something like what he did in ''C++ Primer Plus'' suits my style of learning.

It introduces you to pointers quite early, arrays, string processing etc, its overall a well explained cpp book. Everything you want to learn about how to write it and the syntax is in there but beware its long and it, as I said, progresses slowly, very very slowly actually.

If you want something more straightforward there must be some good options out there. Maybe some of the books by Bjarne Stroup?

I'm really looking for a book that goes into great depth about what everything does specifically and leaves the reader understanding everything clearly. Essentially, I'm looking for a book that is really introductory but by the end of it, the reader knows how to program a well-made, error-free program with proficiency.

Do you guys think "C++ Primer 5th Edition" or "The C++ Programming Language, 4th Edition" would accomplish this better?

I think that what you should do is get or downloads those two books, try them out, and start applying what you learn from either one of them into whatever you find on the internet.

things like codeabbey, even the exercises on the book.

imho desu

That's definitely an option I will consider, but I think I'd rather start with just one book for right now. I'm not a NEET so I don't have the most time on my hands ATM, but if you think two books is better than one, it's definitely something I might try...

forgot to reply directly

The C++ Programming Language is going to go in depth. It assumes you know how to program though. Like if you have never seen a for loop before, this book is not where you'll want to go to find out what one is. If you have and you want to know everything you could do with a for loop in c++, this book is for you.

The C++ Primer is going to give you almost everything you need to know and is going to assume you know less. It's been years since I read the C++ Primer but I remember it being pretty new programmer friendly.

The C++ Programming Language is designed to be read sequentially and for random access. So it is possible to learn C++ some[spoiler][/spoiler]where else and use it as a reference.

So do you think I would benefit from first reading "C++ Primer" then, after I'm finished with it, use "C++ Programming Language" to further enforce what I have learned?

>I'm really looking for a book that goes into great depth about what everything does specifically and leaves the reader understanding everything clearly.
No such programming book exists. Every book is either 2000+ pages of terribly written spoonfeeding, or 20 pages of formal description.

Well that's a bit grim. Surely there has to be a decent book out there?

brother, all you need is bible

I wouldn't be a bad strategy. I don't remember if the C++ primer had problems but Programming Principles and Practice using C++ has them. Based on what I've read of the C++ Programming Language Stroustrup is a good writer. It seems to be aimed at more of a total beginner. It also seems like it is aimed at being a intro to comp sci class that just happens to use c++ as the teaching language.

The primer seemed to be directed at getting you doing stuff in c++ as fast as possible. I used it a lot to fill in my standard library knowledge because the comp sci classes i took were more in to low level stuff. However both Stroustrup's books cover the standard library deeply.

I would compare the two before deciding. Decide on which format and what kind of starting point and focus you want.

I think I'm probably just going to buy both as I want to be a complete expert by the end of my education.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Lol don't read books. Read docs.

>texas science
How is this different from regular science?

Hey I had or have seen most of those books as a kid. Thanks for the weird sense of nostalgia, user.

I think I'd rather just have books as they're much easier to navigate and, really, it's the way I'm used to learning.

Same honestly, I just found this image on Google and it brought me down memory lane too.

Thanks again, guys.

>buying books

>having a physical copy of something that is easier to read and a great reference tool rather than having to squint to read something on a screen

lol at this attitude
a) you don't have to squint, your screen is literally bigger than a book
b) you can't search physical books and have to rely on glossary
c) 3000 books would cost a lot of darn money

Why are you responding to your own posts?

What gives you this idea?

Same person

So? Baby's first edit in paint?
Kill yourself you autistic dipshit.

1. I have glasses and it's rather difficult to read things on a screen sometimes
2. A glossary or index is just as effective than CTRL+F IMO
3. I'm not buying 3,000 books.

>1. I have glasses and it's rather difficult to read things on a screen sometimes
If this is true how can you possibly think you can do anything worthwhile on a computer?

yeah let me just buy 2 books then proceed to mock my own decision

Reading a huge ass book on the computer is different than browsing Sup Forums or writing a program

Why are you still here?
You promised you're gonna off yourself more than 6 months ago. It's finally time.

>You promised you're gonna off yourself more than 6 months ago. It's finally time.
Never did that, mate

i dont want to make a thread, any book recommended for C#?

also, what language would you recommend for a media editor and vidiogaem programming?

Look up the yellow book. And don't start by making Vidya. You'll hate yourself later desu.

Ten gallon hats are used in lieu of erlenmeyer flasks. "Over Yonder" is a standard unit of measurement. You don't hypothesize, you "reckin".